News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, it’s this. I may never go to a movie theatre or take my kids to a theatre again. Why would I? I have a 70 inch tv screen and a great sound system in my living room. Disney needs to adapt to this, (and charge accordingly), not just try to force people back into theatres because of FOMO.
Going to the movies is still more of a diversion/change of pace.

I don’t do it as much but there are a lot of days in the year to couch sit.

And 70 is rather smallish now…time for an upgrade.

Casper Gutman

Now who’s being the fanboy? The GP know nothing about the Thunderbolts or Young Avengers. You need to entice them into the theatre by giving them stuff they know and want.
They didn't know Guardians (or Thor for that matter). What gets people into the theaters now is the Marvel name. In any case, quite a lot of viewers do know members of the YA thanks to the D+ series, and all of the Thunderbolts have appeared in previous films.

Tell you what - two genuine MCU bombs in a row and we can all start screaming for X-Men. Until then, its probably wise to trust the most consistently successful producer in Hollywood history.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now who’s being the fanboy? The GP know nothing about the Thunderbolts or Young Avengers. You need to entice them into the theatre by giving them stuff they know and want.
Shhhhhhh🤫….you’ll upset the children as they dream of their next wdw trip in 711 days…which has nothing to do with MCU

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The MCU was ALWAYS built on the "fringes" because all the moderately desirable properties - Spidey, Hulk, X-Men, etc - had been sold off when Marvel was in mega-fire-sale mode. Iron Man and Cap were B-listers at best. The MCU has shown, remarkably, that it can thrive even further out on the fringes, with a blockbuster series based on nobodies like the Guardians and a very successful launch for Shang-Chi.

Honestly, we've heard the same criticisms, the same portents of doom - "oversaturated, losing efficacy, etc." - since almost the moment the MCU began 14 years ago. Box office returns show that they are as accurate now as they ever have been. If the MCU ever gets into real trouble, sure, they can pull the X-Men rip cord. But right now, when you can make money off Shang-Chi, there's no reason to do so.
Not what I mean…comic book is geek…we got that.

What I meant by “fringes” is you have evans and Downey and scarjo…but they’re getting pricey…so you roll them over for Shang chi and the externals and what not…

No better character than cap…period.

But in typical Iger style…they convinced themselves only the label matters. Gee…can you think of somewhere else where they tripped over the same rock? Maybe more than one?

But also to be fair…Johnny depp messed a lot of this up

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait... are you accusing me of being a Disney fan boi?? I hope you are, because I've never been called that before and I don't expect to be called it again on these boards anytime soon!
No…not you. If I did it was friendly fire.

You know there are lots that just can’t concentrate beyond “the D” and that’s why there are so many arguments. Like kittens with string.

Not you, hombre

Touchdown

They didn't know Guardians (or Thor for that matter). What gets people into the theaters now is the Marvel name. In any case, quite a lot of viewers do know members of the YA thanks to the D+ series, and all of the Thunderbolts have appeared in previous films.

Tell you what - two genuine MCU bombs in a row and we can all start screaming for X-Men. Until then, its probably wise to trust the most consistently successful producer in Hollywood history.
The same one who is laying the groundwork for F4 and X-men’s return (I think we are up to 2 official mutants now, and a Reed variant, not to mention Kang who is a Richards descendant) I’m not criticizing Feige, and I like what he’s done but he’s doing exactly what I was talking about. I think we’re talking past each other this current saga (Multiverse) is a bridge between a saga built on the back of the Classic Avengers, and the next that will be built on the back of F4 and X-men who will be introduced into the MCU later on in the Multiverse Saga.

*Not to mention the multiverse and convergence is going to be able to produce X-men in 616 who aren’t originally from 616 and thus will allow for a 50 year old Holocaust survivor in 2020 something, and provide a reason for this universe to love hero’s but hate/mistrust mutants.

Last edited:

montyz81

No, they were the Ford Model T. Cheap and pushed to everyone. They want to be more luxury and expensive, thats what they're trying now.
Quality of Experience is a Model T? Since I can remember, in addition to everything I have read about Disneyland's first years, Walt was all about attention to detail and emersion. To me, that has been the cornerstone of how and why Disney's Parks have always had the highest number of attendees. In comparison, the early days of Universal were akin to a local amusement park with a little Six Flags thrown in. Universal has put lots of money into emersion in the last 20 years or so and has come up to the level of Disney, while Disney has Chapeked (cheapened) their attention to detail and emersion focus to move close to on par with Universal.

Casper Gutman

Not what I mean…comic book is geek…we got that.

What I meant by “fringes” is you have evans and Downey and scarjo…but they’re getting pricey…so you roll them over for Shang chi and the externals and what not…

No better character than cap…period.

But in typical Iger style…they convinced themselves only the label matters. Gee…can you think of somewhere else where they tripped over the same rock? Maybe more than one?

But also to be fair…Johnny depp messed a lot of this up
The point is that the original MCU Avengers were B-list even in the world of comics. Guardians were D.

Evans and Downey wanted out. This wasn't solely a Disney decision - actors have agency.

And the Marvel label DOES sell at this point. I just demonstrated that actual box office shows the MCU is going as strong as it ever was.

The general public cares (or knows) about zero of what you listed. And when you're talking 'blockbuster movie', you need the general public, not just the fandom.
The general public will see a movie that looks visually appealing. Has recognizable characters, and won’t preach at them. Much like Minions. It will be a massive hit.

dreday3

I have zero doubts Mario will be a gigantic hit.
Will it be good? Who knows. Not that it matters when counting the money though.

Plenty of movies (from all companies) have been hits, but not actually that good.

I wonder, or I should say my hope, is that Avatar does really well if only to get Disney to keep Animal Kingdom open late again a few nights a week so people can visit Pandora at night! :)

Kamikaze

Quality of Experience is a Model T? Since I can remember, in addition to everything I have read about Disneyland's first years, Walt was all about attention to detail and emersion. To me, that has been the cornerstone of how and why Disney's Parks have always had the highest number of attendees. In comparison, the early days of Universal were akin to a local amusement park with a little Six Flags thrown in. Universal has put lots of money into emersion in the last 20 years or so and has come up to the level of Disney, while Disney has Chapeked (cheapened) their attention to detail and emersion focus to move close to on par with Universal.
No, the actual business model. Its always been 'get it to as many people as possible.'

Thats Ford and his Model T. Rolls is extremely limited super high quality - not mass availability.

Tha Realest

The point is that the original MCU Avengers were B-list even in the world of comics. Guardians were D.

Evans and Downey wanted out. This wasn't solely a Disney decision - actors have agency.

And the Marvel label DOES sell at this point. I just demonstrated that actual box office shows the MCU is going as strong as it ever was.
This is lost on a lot of people. It’s pretty remarkable they built such an enduring cinematic universe without the mutants, without Fantastic Four, and with only an assist here and there from Spider-Man.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Something like Lexus would have been a better analogy.

Premium, not boutique. Building a brand image that extols quality and delivering... building a reputation through results, not flash. They were never the pinnacle of a specific quality, but they were at a premium level and a total package well beyond their peers.

They focused on their vision, delivered, and let the results speak for themselves... and then trusted that the vision, not duplication, was the model for success.

Models like Royles, etc just focus on the extreme, the opulence, the separation. Disney and Toyota instead focus on execution of a premium belief.

Trauma

It’s really amazing watching the pixie dust in full effect on this forum.

It’s like it warps reality itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom