News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

DisneyDodo

I can’t say for certain that Coco was scrapped from BBT, but that does seem like the most likely possibility. As I showed in a previous post, much of the Coco area originally slated for BBT was copied over to DAK. It’s true that Disney sometimes puts multiple attractions for the same IP in different parks, but this one doesn’t pass the smell test – if they were already moving Encanto out of BBT, that would leave more space for Coco there, not less, so why move half of the Coco stuff elsewhere (unless you are removing Coco from BBT altogether)? Especially considering how many other IP choices they had for TA, that decision would not have made much sense if they wanted Coco to have a presence at MK.

Nothing from the original Dinoland-replacement Blue Sky concept art is actually getting built there. We already know Encanto was moved out of BBT. I wouldn’t put too much stock in the BBT artwork coming to fruition.

Doesn’t mean we’ll never see the Flight of Pepita ride get built, but my guess is it’s not on the roadmap for right now.

DisneyDodo

Or add a ride to one of the 3 that are there, my vote would be Germany. I know they had a plan for a Rhine River Cruise and Id be cool with revisiting that, or something completely new.
They are most certainly never adding the Rhine River Cruise. If they ever build something in that show building it would be tied to either Snow White or, more likely, Tangled.

PREMiERdrum

So is this expansion just 1 E ticket?
It's interesting to learn what other insiders are hearing compared to myself... some matching exactly and some 180 degrees different. It's obvious the internal jockeying is in full swing.

In any event, what I hear as the current state of things:

MK-
Moana on AL expansion pad
Offstage facility relocation
Coco and expanded Frontierland in the BBTM area
Early design work for Dark Kingdom as a BBTM phase two. This is where I'm skeptical.

AK-
Tropical Americas makeover of Dinoland just about exactly as we know it.
Lion King boat ride dupe and/or Pandora attraction #3. Plan on one of these, at best.

DHS-
"Beyond Animation Courtyard" project. Several properties being considered AFAIK.
I think this is ultimately where Dark Kingdom could end up, but I very well could be wrong.

EPCOT-
Hopefully the return of the Coastal Eats booth, but nothing else.
Absolutely nothing beyond new TT.
Really, not even for WOL.

PREMiERdrum

I can’t say for certain that Coco was scrapped from BBT, but that does seem like the most likely possibility. As I showed in a previous post, much of the Coco area originally slated for BBT was copied over to DAK. It’s true that Disney sometimes puts multiple attractions for the same IP in different parks, but this one doesn’t pass the smell test – if they were already moving Encanto out of BBT, that would leave more space for Coco there, not less, so why move half of the Coco stuff elsewhere (unless you are removing Coco from BBT altogether)? Especially considering how many other IP choices they had for TA, that decision would not have made much sense if they wanted Coco to have a presence at MK.

Nothing from the original Dinoland-replacement Blue Sky concept art is actually getting built there. We already know Encanto was moved out of BBT. I wouldn’t put too much stock in the BBT artwork coming to fruition.

Doesn’t mean we’ll never see the Flight of Pepita ride get built, but my guess is it’s not on the roadmap for right now.
The back-and-forth we've seen with the art is atypical, and a direct result of them knowing what properties they wanted to use and which areas they want to develop and redevelop, but not having a clue what and where.

The Moana art we saw for AK was first drawn for another location. Same for Zootopia. The Encanto and Coco grafts had a similar path. BBTM had a very unlikely path due to development costs until relatively recently, so the cards seems to have been shuffled again. Coco, Encanto, and Moana have immense internal support. Getting Coco into AK was a no-brainer with the Tropical Americas land, but the as-designed Coco E-Ticket is absolutely the leading candidate to anchor BBTM.

The back-and-forth we've seen with the art is atypical, and a direct result of them knowing what properties they wanted to use and which areas they want to develop and redevelop, but not having a clue what and where.

The Moana art we saw for AK was first drawn for another location. Same for Zootopia. The Encanto and Coco grafts had a similar path. BBTM had a very unlikely path due to development costs until relatively recently, so the cards seems to have been shuffled again. Coco, Encanto, and Moana have immense internal support. Getting Coco into AK was a no-brainer with the Tropical Americas land, but the as-designed Coco E-Ticket is absolutely the leading candidate to anchor BBTM.
I wonder if maybe instead of putting a whole coco land in BBT they just plan to use some of the space for the E ticket and plan to lump it in with Frontierland itself.

James Alucobond

My issue is not that Coco itself is in two parks, but it’s just that Tropical America’s is looking to be heavily Mexican influenced, and I would expect New Frontierland to be super Mexican influenced as well. I’m worried it’ll feel like they built the same land in two parks
I think "heavily Mexican-influenced" is a stretch. I see a lot of similarities to the Colombian towns that inspired Encanto in the renderings, as in the image below. Also, no one is batting an eye at there now being a pre-Colombian step pyramid in both Animal Kingdom and EPCOT.
1712344920594.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom