News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

DisneyDodo

I wonder if maybe instead of putting a whole coco land in BBT they just plan to use some of the space for the E ticket and plan to lump it in with Frontierland itself.
The E ticket doesn’t take place in Mexico, but in the Land of the Dead, so it would be an odd fit for Frontierland. The facade is Ernesto de la Cruz’s mausoleum, which wouldn’t necessarily clash aesthetically, but the ride concept has nothing to do with western expansion.

Of course, that alone would not prevent modern Disney from putting it there, but it begs the question of why they would export the Mexican village that made this a solid fit to begin with to another park, if that’s the direction they’re going.

I don’t believe Coco is still slated to have a presence in this area.

James Alucobond

The E ticket doesn’t take place in Mexico, but in the Land of the Dead, so it would be an odd fit for Frontierland. The facade is Ernesto de la Cruz’s mausoleum, which wouldn’t necessarily clash aesthetically, but the ride concept has nothing to do with western expansion.

Of course, that alone would not prevent modern Disney from putting it there, but it begs the question of why they would export the Mexican village that made this a solid fit to begin with to another park, if that’s the direction they’re going.

I don’t believe Coco is still slated to have a presence in this area.
... Did Splash ever explicitly have anything to do with western expansion? It not only wouldn't stop them now; it never really stopped them before. And again, what keeps a southwestern or just south-of-the-border village from being the hub of this? It would still be fundamentally distinct from the tropical town being put in AK.

zann285

I'm imagining that the proposed Coco carousel in the Tropical Americas area at DAK came about like this:

Imagineer 1: "And to round out this Central American themed village, we'll feature a charming carousel with beautiful figurines of South and Central American animals, highlighting their connection to the culture of the region while both giving good kinetics and replacing the capacity of the removed dino spinner."

Imagineer 2: "You know the execs will never greenlight anything without an IP attached right?"

Imagineer 1: (Sigh) "Did I say figurines of South and Central American animals? I meant Coco spirit animals!"

Having a smaller attraction that showcases the region's cultural ties to animals as spirit animals honestly seems like a great fit for Animal Kingdom, and would obviously tie into Coco, but doesn't necessarily even need to heavily feature the characters from the film. At the same time, having Frontierland go South of the border a bit and feature a big ride flying through the scenery of Coco also seems cool, and different enough from what Animal Kingdom may have. Magic Kingdom tends for fanciful versions of lands after all, while Animal Kingdom tends for more realism. It could certainly turn out too similar between the two, but I think there is plenty that could be done to differentiate things.

DisneyDodo

... Did Splash ever explicitly have anything to do with western expansion? It not only wouldn't stop them now; it never really stopped them before. And again, what keeps a southwestern or just south-of-the-border village from being the hub of this? It would still be fundamentally distinct from the tropical town being put in AK.
Splash at least took place in North America, and they took steps to “westernify” it, even if the source material was technically set in Georgia.

That’s not the same as a fantastical Land of the Dead, located in a completely different realm that living people (generally) can’t access. That concept has 0 connection to Frontierland. The original concept art (which, btw, was for a separate land adjacent to FL and not an extension to FL) at least had some chemistry with its neighbor in the form of the Santa Cecilia plaza. That area is being recreated in DAK. They’re not building it twice.

So the suggestion here is that they ripped out the thing that connected this area to FL only to integrate the rest of the land into FL itself?

Splash at least took place in North America, and they took steps to “westernify” it, even if the source material was technically set in Georgia.

That’s not the same as a fantastical Land of the Dead, located in a completely different realm that living people (generally) can’t access. That concept has 0 connection to Frontierland. The original concept art (which, btw, was for a separate land adjacent to FL and not an extension to FL) at least had some chemistry with its neighbor in the form of the Santa Cecilia plaza. That area is being recreated in DAK. They’re not building it twice.

So the suggestion here is that they ripped out the thing that connected this area to FL only to integrate the rest of the land into FL itself?
That was just me theorizing as to how they could still do the ride itself while seemingly moving the rest of the planned land over to AK. But I didn’t know it was explicitly land of the dead themed.

DisneyDodo

Is the Villains land still being planned for beyond Big Thunder Mountain? That is what I was most excited about, and that's what got the loudest applause when the idea was thrown around a few years ago.
They have not abandoned the concept. But to my understanding, this part of BBTM was, and still is, slated as a second phase.

If they’re going to shorten RoA, this could be quite a number of years away (which also gives them extra time to change their minds). If they keep RoA as is OTOH, they’ll have less room to work with and the land will be less ambitious. So pick your poison 🤣

DisneyDodo

That was just me theorizing as to how they could still do the ride itself while seemingly moving the rest of the planned land over to AK. But I didn’t know it was explicitly land of the dead themed.
Another option they could go (though I’m not suggesting they will) would be to expand the scope of the villains land to be a general spooky land and include this ride there. Or even keep it as villains land and heavily feature de la Cruz in the ride.

Another option they could go (though I’m not suggesting they will) would be to expand the scope of the villains land to be a general spooky land and include this ride there. Or even keep it as villains land and heavily feature de la Cruz in the ride.
I’ve been thinking this is the route they should go for awhile now. It makes it easier to include some IP’s like Nightmare Before Christmas that would pull more families in than a villains specific area would .

Ghost93

If they’re going to shorten RoA, this could be quite a number of years away (which also gives them extra time to change their minds). If they keep RoA as is OTOH, they’ll have less room to work with and the land will be less ambitious. So pick your poison 🤣
I prefer shortening RoA if it meant more for a villain land. ROA is aesthetically pleasing, but I'd gladly give up Tom Sawyer's Island and part of the boat ride (or all of the boat ride) in favor of more actual attractions. Tom Sawyer's Island had a good run, but I think there's potential for better things to replace it.

Teddybearre

Any “Villains Land” at MK is a great way to ensure a sizable portion of guests don’t set foot in it. I’m sorry but Villains is quite niche and not appealing to families with younger children.
Honestly I think that would actually be a good thing. It would help Magic Kingdom stray away from the “Magic Kindergarten” nickname and give something for older audiences to do, while still keeping in theme with the rest of the park

Ghost93

Any “Villains Land” at MK is a great way to ensure a sizable portion of guests don’t set foot in it. I’m sorry but Villains is quite niche and not appealing to families with younger children.
A villains land is something I and many of my friends have wanted since we were children. And if people don't like villains, there is the entire rest of the park!

James Alucobond

There are a lot of things to address here.
  1. Where did the assumption that this was ever separate from Frontierland come from? The original presentation never specified if the proposed Encanto/Coco area was meant to be an extension or a miniland, as you suggest.
  2. The Land of the Dead wouldn't be the facade. You would presumably still have southwestern and south-of-the-border placemaking with a more accurate facsimile of Ernesto's mausoleum and the surrounding graveyard set around the attraction entrance.
  3. I still don't get where you're getting the idea that they're "ripping out" the plaza area? Did someone else suggest that in a comment I missed? I didn't suggest it. I agree that it should be there in order to facilitate a graceful transition.
  4. Your assertion about them "not building it twice" is based on a faulty premise. They are not building Santa Cecilia in Animal Kingdom. Santa Cecilia is a prototypical north-central Mexican town. The AK Americas village is, by contrast, tropical, with influences from the Yucatán, central America, and northern South America.

SirLink

A bit like the parents who rushed guest services at MK to complain about the concrete peanuts in the ground at Storybook Circus could set of little Johnny's nut allergy. If you have a young child and think its too 'dark' to take them to then guess what don't take them.

I'm sorry but not everything in Disney should be designed to placate young children. More people will enter a Villains land than will not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom