Beastly Kingdom Is Back

RSoxNo1

I really think what's happening now is that all of the rumor mills are speculating an announcement in October, and to accurately guess what is going to be announced would mean bragging rights. That sees sites like Screamscape printing anything and everything that seems remotely plausible.

CBOMB

News/ media management is hardly an alien concept to Disney, theyve been doing it since Disneylands creation.
True enough, and this certainly seems to be WDW internet forum management. I just don't remember ever having seen so much of a bombartment at one time.

I certainly expected it when HP was close to opening. I just didn't expect it now, and it just seemed strange to me.

The Conundrum

The biggest no brainer to me was to rework the BK concept with Narnia (which included animals and fantasy creatures quite promenetly). I'm sure the WDI had concepts ready to go for it but alas the company got cold feet when the 2nd film wasn't the huge blockbuster they were hoping (not necessarily the film's fault I blame Iger and ________ Cook for releasing it in the summer against Indy/Iron/Dark Knight instead of a traditional Christmas release).

I remember at one point Joe Rhode told abunch of cast members how he would love to collaborate with Peter Jackson on a fantasy project for the parks.

If anything is happening at AK (which is highly unlikely) Joe Rhode is not involved.

S.E.A.

The biggest no brainer to me was to rework the BK concept with Narnia (which included animals and fantasy creatures quite promenetly). I'm sure the WDI had concepts ready to go for it but alas the company got cold feet when the 2nd film wasn't the huge blockbuster they were hoping (not necessarily the film's fault I blame Iger and ________ Cook for releasing it in the summer against Indy/Iron/Dark Knight instead of a traditional Christmas release).

Oh please, Narnia was never a strong enough franchise to devote an entire expansion on. It's nowhere near the phenomenon that is Harry Potter nor are its animals iconic in any way (their fantasy creatures are merely existing animals that talk, hardly worthy of an entire land separated from lands that already have the real kind).

stitch2008

I remember at one point Joe Rhode told abunch of cast members how he would love to collaborate with Peter Jackson on a fantasy project for the parks.

If anything is happening at AK (which is highly unlikely) Joe Rhode is not involved.

Narnia could be ONE attraction. Never an entire land. The films were good. But I just dont see Narnia ever becoming something big enough to be an entire land.

The Conundrum

Oh please, Narnia was never a strong enough franchise to devote an entire expansion on. It's nowhere near the phenomenon that is Harry Potter nor are its animals iconic in any way (their fantasy creatures are merely existing animals that talk, hardly worthy of an entire land separated from lands that already have the real kind).
S.E.A. I am a bit surprised at you. First of all,Narnia has TONS of fantasy creatures (more than LOTR and potter) including Gryphons, minotaurs, giants, dragons, unicorns, Santa Clause, centaurs, gnomes,etc. Did you see the films/read the books?

Second, While Narnia is no question not as big as Harry Potter (or star wars & LOTR for that matter) it is still a pretty big, well-known franchise. The books are one of the most beloved fantasy book series of all time and the first Disney narnia film was a big hit at the box office.

Disney at one point wanted the film Reign of Fire to anchor Beastly Kingdom and according to Jim Hill, they also considered a Harry Potter version of Beastly Kingdom as well. Narnia would have been a good springboard to launch a DAK fantasyland off of.

Narnia could be ONE attraction. Never an entire land. The films were good. But I just dont see Narnia ever becoming something big enough to be an entire land.

If CARS can become an entire land your telling me that Narnia, a 7 book fantasy series, wouldn't have made a good land?

Oh and btw I agree with your signature, BOLT was a suprisingly great film and I actually enjoyed it more than recent Pixar fare.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
S.E.A. I am a bit surprised at you. First of all,Narnia has TONS of fantasy creatures (more than LOTR and potter) including Gryphons, minotaurs, giants, dragons, unicorns, Santa Clause, centaurs, gnomes,etc. Did you see the films/read the books?

Second, While Narnia is no question not as big as Harry Potter (or star wars & LOTR for that matter) it is still a pretty big, well-known franchise. The books are one of the most beloved fantasy book series of all time and the first Disney narnia film was a big hit at the box office.

Disney at one point wanted the film Reign of Fire to anchor Beastly Kingdom and according to Jim Hill, they also considered a Harry Potter version of Beastly Kingdom as well. Narnia would have been a good springboard to launch a DAK fantasyland off of.

If CARS can become an entire land your telling me that Narnia, a 7 book fantasy series, wouldn't have made a good land?

OMG...we agree on TWO things. :lol:

mcjaco

According to Screamscape, a plan is awaiting approval for a reimagined BK whose centerpiece will be JTTCotE from TDS.

I can tell you I've been hearing about this since October. BK was seriously being discussed again back then. Not sure it's to green light status, but still being seriously discussed.

Dinoman96

It honestly makes no sense to me how they'll combine the two ideas, but what ever.

No no no no, I mean have the rides from Tokyo Disney Sea rethemed to the Mythological kingdom theme. For ex. JTTCOTE = Dragon Mountain. 20K = Kraken Lake. As for new attractions, make a new Unicorn themed hedgemaze, just with a different layout, and add a new Phoenix themed flying coaster.

brent2124

Ok this is a broad answer question. What point in time will any of this be done? 2012 at the earliest? Or more along the lines of 2014? Or ever?

WDW1974

Again, I'll repeat this as this thread goes 853 posts ... but DAK's lead creative exec (Joe Rohde) is working on a DVC/Hotel mixed use resort on Oahu and on a new land for HKDL precisely because NOTHING is coming to DAK.

I don't care whether rumors are being spread. In this age, it's very easy to do so.

Whether you get two MK managers who don't like their VP to start a rumor that he was walked out of TDO ... or whether a blueprint of one Fantasyland redesign concept suddenly hits the public in the wake of two transport/PR disasters at WDW (one that ended with a death on the 4th of July weekend) ... or now this ... BK is dead. The original form is never getting built at DAK and the TDS-like concepts are in deep freeze.

If folks are hearing about them otherwise they're hearing that because Disney wants them to hear the rumors and release the info.

As CBOMB pointed out, Disney P&R has already committed billions to DCA, HKDL, DLP/DSP, DCL ... and those MK plans (no matter what actually gets done) are real as are things like Star Tours 2.0 and Monsters for TPFKaTD-MGMS. ... So, sit back ... take a deep breath and ask yourself just how much cash Disney has on hand that can be used for P&R ... and how much debt it is willing to take on.

I'm sorry. I love DAK ... but expansion isn't on the horizon and while things changed on MK front quickly there really was a greater need ... Disney isn't putting money into DAK for the forseeable future.

Oops, and I forgot to even mention a huge new MK for Shanghai with 3-4 resorts at opening and a shopping complex too ... and whatever Disney does with its DC project too ... while I am happy to see them spend, the money isn't endless and there simply isn't any for DAK right now ... and it did just open an expensive E-Ticket in 2006.

The Conundrum

Again, I'll repeat this as this thread goes 853 posts ... but DAK's lead creative exec (Joe Rohde) is working on a DVC/Hotel mixed use resort on Oahu and on a new land for HKDL precisely because NOTHING is coming to DAK.

I don't care whether rumors are being spread. In this age, it's very easy to do so.

Whether you get two MK managers who don't like their VP to start a rumor that he was walked out of TDO ... or whether a blueprint of one Fantasyland redesign concept suddenly hits the public in the wake of two transport/PR disasters at WDW (one that ended with a death on the 4th of July weekend) ... or now this ... BK is dead. The original form is never getting built at DAK and the TDS-like concepts are in deep freeze.

If folks are hearing about them otherwise they're hearing that because Disney wants them to hear the rumors and release the info.

As CBOMB pointed out, Disney P&R has already committed billions to DCA, HKDL, DLP/DSP, DCL ... and those MK plans (no matter what actually gets done) are real as are things like Star Tours 2.0 and Monsters for TPFKaTD-MGMS. ... So, sit back ... take a deep breath and ask yourself just how much cash Disney has on hand that can be used for P&R ... and how much debt it is willing to take on.

I'm sorry. I love DAK ... but expansion isn't on the horizon and while things changed on MK front quickly there really was a greater need ... Disney isn't putting money into DAK for the forseeable future.

Oops, and I forgot to even mention a huge new MK for Shanghai with 3-4 resorts at opening and a shopping complex too ... and whatever Disney does with its DC project too ... while I am happy to see them spend, the money isn't endless and there simply isn't any for DAK right now ... and it did just open an expensive E-Ticket in 2006.

At least Disney is willing to invest in the parks finally. Haven't done anything proper for over ten years. I know I will be the first one in Anahiem in the summer of 2011 to check out ST 2 and Little Mermaid back to back.

EPCOT Explorer

Makes sense, seeing they are committed else where.

I'm just glad the MK is "else where".:D And, after some thinking, DAK DID just get E:E 3 years ago. Seeing that it's huge, and only open till 5 or so, it's fine....for now.

In a few years though...It'll need it.

WDW1974

Well, if Rasulo hadn't of spent all the development millions on DAK After Dark/Rivers of Light only to kill it for the boutique animal park, which died quickly ... maybe something would be coming to DAK soon.

A lot of $$$ got spent with nothing to show for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom