Beastly Kingdom Discussion

If/when Universal announces their expansion of Potter, how likely do you feel it is that they will dust off and at least consider all those plans? I feel like each one is desperately needed (i realize though that the SM plan at least won't happen now...)

michaelnyc

beastly kingdom

beastly kingdom is dead
i met jim rhodes this past sept 2010 wandering around africa in animal kingdom, he was in the small enclosed eating area across from where the musicians and dancers perform
i saw him wandering around alone looking at the buildings, i noticed him and he me since we were doing the same thing
i went and said hello and thanked him for the gift that is animal kingdom

i specifically asked him about beastly kingdom and he said no, the idea is long dead, and even if it was still a valid idea, it would all have to be redone since the original plan is so old and is no longer feasible

he told me that the company was investing some money into animal kingdom and he was there to come up with various ideas on how to cover the open areas in africa with some type of authentic organic ideas

from the horse's mouth, dead.

RSoxNo1

Best case? You don`t want to know.

I said best case. LPS. Not Omnimover.

Yeah, I assumed as much - It's so logical it's a huge disappointment that they haven't done this. I've been saying this for a little while now: that pavilion should be the crown jewel of Epcot - it should exemplify what Disney is all about - a company of creative geniuses.

That ride system (to the uninitiated this is Pooh's Hunny Hunt technology) is perfect for an attraction about imagination. The vehicles can move freely through a scene, representing an imagination running wild - and then they can be brought in line with some "guidance".

I'm holding out hope that this is the ultimate long term plan for this attraction - a family E-Ticket to revitalize a classic Epcot pavilion.

zooey

TDO will have to get competitive again at some point. Money will have to be spent. Especially if a HP expansion gets announced, they can't let people get excited about that for years, without announcing a rebuttle to bring the fans back into the flock.

misterID

beastly kingdom is dead
i met jim rhodes this past sept 2010 wandering around africa in animal kingdom, he was in the small enclosed eating area across from where the musicians and dancers perform
i saw him wandering around alone looking at the buildings, i noticed him and he me since we were doing the same thing
i went and said hello and thanked him for the gift that is animal kingdom

i specifically asked him about beastly kingdom and he said no, the idea is long dead, and even if it was still a valid idea, it would all have to be redone since the original plan is so old and is no longer feasible

he told me that the company was investing some money into animal kingdom and he was there to come up with various ideas on how to cover the open areas in africa with some type of authentic organic ideas

from the horse's mouth, dead.

Man, I really, really hope it's true they're putting some money in the park. Such a great park that's not even close to getting to reaching it's potential.

I guess the hybrid BK/MI idea is dead as well... :cry:

WDW FTW

TDO will have to get competitive again at some point. Money will have to be spent. Especially if a HP expansion gets announced, they can't let people get excited about that for years, without announcing a rebuttle to bring the fans back into the flock.

As great as Harry Potter is, i dont see it as a people stealer, they both work off eachother, but my friend who works with "higher-ups" at universal said that without HP they would be in serious trouble, like the couple years before HP they never had maxmimum attendance. Meh, but i guess all of us here, the biggest disney world fans, are also the biggest critics. :animwink:

Magenta Panther

Man, I really, really hope it's true they're putting some money in the park. Such a great park that's not even close to getting to reaching it's potential.

I guess the hybrid BK/MI idea is dead as well... :cry:

Well, then I'll just keep doing what I've been doing lately when I've been at WDW...I'll skip going to AK altogether. As it is, you see it once, and you've seen it. Not even worth a re-visit. Phooey. :mad:

_Scar

Well, then I'll just keep doing what I've been doing lately when I've been at WDW...I'll skip going to AK altogether. As it is, you see it once, and you've seen it. Not even worth a re-visit. Phooey. :mad:

Since animals are involved and are unpredictable... I'm not seeing how DAK is a "see it once" kind of park... but you're entitled to your opinion. ):

I will keep going to Animal Kingdom while simultaneously hoping new and exciting projects come eventually.

wizards8507

Since animals are involved and are unpredictable... I'm not seeing how DAK is a "see it once" kind of park... but you're entitled to your opinion. ):

I will keep going to Animal Kingdom while simultaneously hoping new and exciting projects come eventually.

Agreed. I could ride Kilimanjaro Safari over and over again (with a mental block on the audio), and it would be different every time. I think its unfair that people compare it to the other parks because, by its very nature, it can't really be compared to any other amusement park out there.

That being said, Camp Minnie-Mickey is a festering pit of sorrow that needs to be leveled.

RSoxNo1

If I had my way I'd take photos at every animal enclosure at the Animal Kingdom every time that I visited - However my family often dictates my schedule. I can easily spend a full day there, but I recognize that it's not for everyone.

baymenxpac

beastly kingdom is the thorn inside the mind of most of AK's critics. listen, i do not love AK. for me, it's a 1/2 day park tops. that being said, when i went this past june, i really did enjoy it was what it is. the problem is that the idea of BK exists and is so real to most of us that we too often overlook what is done relatively well at AK because it's not what it could have been.

i think what captivates bost people about BK is all the immersive themeing that went into it: from the mystical boat ride to ominous dragon's tower...it all sounded so other worldly. what we're left with instead are still visible signs of its ghost and only one true e-ticket in the entire park.

ttalovebug

Well, it's a lot shorter than typing out the whole name:
Journey to the "Center" of the EPCOT.

(Which, of course, would have been a slow-moving dark ride into the past, when Epcot was EPCOT Center. You'd go on an "unauthorized" field trip in the Time Rover, looking for Epcot's "Center," with the whole ride narrated by Judy Dench: "Remember how easy it was to enjoy Imagination? Thank the Dreamfinder." At the end you would get to choose one of three visions of the future of Epcot to view, by clicking a lighted panel in front of you. The whole thing would be sponsored by Delta and represented by a cool abstract logo.)

B. Mode
The Disco Yeti

P.S. None of this post is true.

:sohappy::sohappy::p

ttalovebug

I don't see why Beastlie Kingdomme has to be dead and buried. Just because it didn't happen when it was supposed to isn't a good reason to never build it at all, especially if it's truly a good concept. Which I, and many, many, others think it was. Sure, changes would have to be made and things re-thought after all these years, but fans keep bringing it up because it would be a fantastic addition and solve all of AK's major, glaring problems as a park. Without it, the good things in AK are overshadowed by what the park could have been. It is incomplete, and the leftover clues are almost painful to those who know the history of the project.

I still walk down that path to CMM and can imagine BK being on the other side. It's such a mysterious path, it almost looks like you're not supposed to go that way. You reach the bridge and feel like something truly special should be on the other side, and are greeted with that second-rate, slapped together excuse for a land. It's kind of tragic, when you think about it.

wizards8507

sorry if someone posted this already but what was supposed to be in beastly kingdom anyway?

Mythical creatures. Animal Kingdom was supposed to be a unity of Living, Extinct, and Mythical creatures (thus why there is a dragon in the logo).

From Wikipedia:
Beastly Kingdom was to have featured mythical animals such as unicorns, dragons, and sea monsters. The land would feature realms of both good and evil creatures. The evil side would be dominated by Dragon Tower, a ruined castle home to a greedy fire-breathing dragon who horded a fabulous treasure in the tower chamber. The castle would also be inhabited by bats who planned to rob the dragon of his riches. They would enlist the guests' help in their scheme and whisk them off on a thrilling roller coaster ride through the castle ruins. The climax of the ride would be an encounter with the evil dragon himself, resulting in a nearly-barbecued train of guests.

The good side of this land would be home to Quest of the Unicorn, an adventure which sent guests through a maze of medieval mythological creatures to seek the hidden grotto where the unicorn lived. Finally, the Fantasia Gardens attraction would be a musical boat ride through animal scenes from Disney's animated classic, Fantasia, the ride would feature both the crocodiles and hippos from " Dance of the Hours" and the Pegasus, fauns, and centaurs from Beethoven's "Pastoral."

Concept art:
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2007/04/beastly-kingdom-that-never-was.html

Disney Rocks

Original Poster
AK just needs something. Beastly Kingdom would have been great, because these animals could be controlled by a on/off switch. It most likely would have been the top draw in the park. I just wish it would be reconsidered, and if not, AK just needs to have something new.

Dinoman96

I feel as though the company has forgot what Walt has said:

"Sometimes its fun to do the impossible"

Even other companies seem to be doing this.

For example, it looked grim for fans of Marvel vs Capcom. Capcom lost the Marvel lisence, which led to that awful Rise of the Imperfects from EA. But when all hope was lost, BOOM, Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.

Wished Disney did the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom