BackPack or FannyPack?

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
I personally am not a big fan of either, but I need something to carry my money, digital camera and video camera in. Now, I know a video camera wont fit in a pack but I am thinking of only taking video after I've been to the particular area once already then go back to film it since we have a hopper. That way I can enjoy it without lugging the camera first. Also, I detest the sight of a pack!!! Maybe that sounds terrible but I KNOW I'm not the only one out there. But, there are some perks to it-free hands, lightweight, will hold my money, etc....

What do most of you take with you?

JiminyandTink

I always bring one of those shoulder slingbags... so I guess that's sort of in between the two... It's like a fannypack for your back :)

Anyway, I don't find it as bulky as a backpack and I can still fit everything I need... plus a few purchases :)

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
I always bring one of those shoulder slingbags... so I guess that's sort of in between the two... It's like a fannypack for your back :)

Anyway, I don't find it as bulky as a backpack and I can still fit everything I need... plus a few purchases :)

I was actually wondering about those too. Are they heavy though? Also, how safe is it to take the bags off and leave while you are on the ride? I'm a little nervous about that.

krankenstein

Here is my Disney pack (Yep, the only time I use it is at Disney):

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

I like it b/c it is big enough to hold everything I need and take. Plus, I can walk and still spin it around my body to get what I need out of it. It also fits nicely at my feet on rides and it isn't bulky.

JiminyandTink

No there pretty light usually... I always either turn it around to the front and hold it with one arm while on the faster rides (like rockin rollercoaster) or just keep it on the floor between my feet for the slower ones (like haunted mansion)... Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with it, I would recommend it for sure.

wvdisneyfamily

Unless you're under the age of 8, or are traveling back in time to 1989, you should avoid packs at all costs.

Much agreed! packs are the first item I think of when I hear what not to wear.

I carry a clear backpack. It's smaller than a typical backpack and makes getting through security a snap. However, be warned, if you put your camera or video camera in a seperate case, they will make you open those.

majorrfb

Small back pack

I carry a small back pack: cameras, poncho, wallet, extra clothes (depending the time of the year) water, keys snacks everything one might need fits nicely. Easy to carry, any goodies one might buy have room too!
If you must carry something a small back pack will take care of every need.:sohappy:

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
Unless you're under the age of 8, or are traveling back in time to 1989, you should avoid packs at all costs.

Yes! This is why I can't stand Packs. I always rember my first couple of trips to WDW when I was FORCED to wear one by my dad. Hot pink and BRIGHT green! Early 90s and it was TACKY!!!

Thankfully I was about 6!

BRER DAD

We do both.........but I wear neither!!! My wife is in charge of the pack and my daughter carries the backpack. I carry the younger two when they get tired. I miss the double stroller!!!

Cosmo

it doesn't sound like you're carrrying much. why carry a bag at all. i just wear cargo shorts. one less thing to keep track of, plus you don't have to go through the bag check. i carry money, credit cards, AP, hat, camera, autograph book, pen and other odds and ends with no problems.

Scar Junior

Ya know... I think I'm going to go out to a thrift store this week to buy a pack. I already started bringing back Velcro shoes last week... maybe this should be my next bold fashion move.

DivineMadness7

it doesn't sound like you're carrrying much. why carry a bag at all. i just wear cargo shorts. one less thing to keep track of, plus you don't have to go through the bag check. i carry money, credit cards, AP, hat, camera, autograph book, pen and other odds and ends with no problems.

2 cameras in your pockets? And in cargo shorts? Not a wise idea, IMHO. Maybe men can get away with that, but I find it to be much more comfortable to just take a small bag, it really isn't that much of a hassle. I think I'd feel like my pants were weighing me down! The bag check takes about 3 minutes to get through. I also think if you're carrying that much in your pockets, you should have to go through the bag check anyway but I guess that's a different discussion for another thread :rolleyes:

packs.:hurl: I like having something go across my chest. It stays on one hip and is very easy to get to stuff. I don't think I'd want a backpack either, since every time you want something you have to stop and take it off, get it out. The slingback ones don't appeal to me either. I've used one before and found it was awkward to access while it was still on my shoulder/back. They are also usually quite a big larger than I need.

Here's the bag I just ordered, I'm waiting for it to arrive sometime this week. I've heard good things about this "baggallini" when it comes to traveling. I like this kind of "guide bag" because it has lots of pockets and separate compartments. I ordered it in the khaki color for my October trip.
http://www.ebags.com/baggallini/bon_voyage_bagg_crinkle_nylon/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=107671

Alexx

In 2000 when it was my very first time going to WDW (I was 6), I had a simpsons pack and I thought I was AWESOME.

I just take a little backpack now, Im not sure whether to take my adidas shoulder bag this time or buy another bag.

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I wont be using a pack that is for sure. I'm thinking about the single strap front bag, just gotta find one now...

JohnWeckwerth

On this last trip I brought a small hydration-backpack. Thought it was smart having ice water whenever I wanted and a place to keep stuff I might need.(Its great for hikes) However the first day at MK I found it difficalt to get at thing in it in a hurry(camcorder) and on rides it was uncomftable. After that I went to -pack. Luckily I had bought a new hard-drive camcorder for the trip and it is so small and light it fits easily into a -pack with room to spare. Now I don't mind -pack.

Yellow Shoes

I've been home less than 24 hours and have to buck the majority and insist on a pack.

First off, WDW is a marathon, not a sprint. You need something that is always comfortable.

I tried a one-shoulder bag a while back. It was fine until the end of day 2. My shoulder and neck were killing me. Unlike a backpack or just a purse that can be shifted to the other shoulder, the construction of this bag would not allow that. It always had to be worn on the right shoulder.

Backpacks are comfortable enough, but highly inconvenient. As DivineMadness7 pointed out, it is incredibly inconvenient to get to anything that's on your back. A photo opportunity is usually gone by the time you shuck off the pack, open a zipper or drawstring, find the camera, turn it on, etc.

Not to mention the fact that a backpack ALWAYS has to come off for a ride or to sit comfortably anywhere. Constantly taking it on and off increases your chances of leaving it somewhere.

packs, on the other hand, have none of these drawbacks. Your camera is ALWAYS right in front ready to be whipped out almost instantaneously. You can sit in a doom buggy without removing it. You don't need to put it on a potentially dirty or wet floor at a restaurant.

In fact, the only bad thing anyone seems to say about packs is that they're ugly.

Nothing is as ugly as the thousands of exposed bra straps and nasty feet I saw this past week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom