BackPack or FannyPack?

mickey7879

LL Bean Bag

Please no packs! Especially on the dads! (no offense!) It just looks like dads trying too hard to look cool and it just isn't happening! (no socks with sandals either please!)

I always take a book bag with me when we go. Ours usually last us a few trips before having to buy a new one.

Recently we purchased a book bag from LL Bean for my son's diaper bag. He's 1 and already we had gone through 3 diaper bags.

They are a little more expensive than the usual bag ($49.50 is what I paid), but the shoulder straps have thicker padding in them making it so much more comfortable than the ones that I kept buying at Wal-Mart.

Since I'm from Maine, I bought it at the main store in Freeport and they only had a few color choices there, but online you have so many different choices to pick from. You can customize just about every part of the bag with a different color if you wanted to! You can get it monogrammed too. Plus if the zippers or straps ever break, they will replace it for life! They do that with everything, even if it's monogrammed, no questions asked.

I bought the adult size one, but they also have smaller ones too if you didn't want to carry a big book bag around. They had lots of different styles to choose from.

happymom52003

What if you just don't like them? To me, they are uncomfortable. My feelings against them have very little to do with looks. Sure, crocs are ugly but I can see the benefit in them, so I don't care how they look. I fail to see the benefit in a pack and find them awkward, uncomfortable AND ugly.:wave:

I'm not talking about people who choose to not use packs because they do not like them or find them uncomfortable or they don't fit their needs. Everyone has different styles and tastes.

I'm talking about the "OMG, I would just DIE and be so embarrassed because everyone will be laughing at me and you should not wear one either because all of the other guests will stop and point and stare and laugh at you....OMG the horror of it:eek:!" crowd. Sure, I'm exaggerating to be funny, but some posters on here nearly come across that way.:rolleyes:

My point is that no one cares what type of bag you use, just like no one cares what you wear on your feet. And if someone who is past junior high age is the type of person who would actually laugh outloud and make fun of someone because of the type of bag they are using at a theme park, then that is just sad.

I just do not understand telling somoene they should not wear something because you yourself find it to be ugly or out of style or whatever. If a " pack" fits someones needs better than another type of bag, why shouldn't they use it? If their only reason for choosing not to use it is because they think someone will laugh, then that also is just sad that they do not have more confidence in themselves.

I find crocs to be very ugly, and because I have narrow feet they are very uncomfortable and make it nearly impossible for me to walk in them. But I don't tell others not to wear them just because I think they are ugly.:shrug:

bluefaery

I have a black mesh WDW backpack that I bought during my 2004 trip, now I pack it everytime I go to the world. I love it. Just enough room to carry my water bottle, camera, and autograph book.

sweetale

I think a great alternative would be a day pack...or a hiking backpack if you will. It's not as large as a pack you would take on an overnight trip, but it still has the benefits of one (i.e. better weight distribution than a regular school back pack). You are going to have room for everything while having the comfort of thicker straps and a waist clip to help even more if the bag gets heavy. It essentiallly puts more weight on your waist than on your shoulders. My husband has always brought one on our trips and we take turns carrying it (and at 5'3" and 110lbs I never have difficulty). In fact, he decided to buy one as his "daddy diaper bag" when we have our baby! Check out: www.rei.com for models. And have fun!:wave:

DizneyPryncess

Unless you're under the age of 8, or are traveling back in time to 1989, you should avoid packs at all costs.

LOL! :ROFLOL:I was 8 years old in 1989, and I loved my nkotb pack.

Today, I also use the drawstring backpack - it's lightweight & holds what I need to bring into the park. If I bring in extra things - like a change of clothes and whatnot, I use a bigger bag & get a locker.

kingslyZISSOU

I used to have the sweetest pack when I was little. It was blue, with a red dinosaur on it. It was always loaded with werthers originals, and a push pop. at least on my first day.

I miss the early 90's, and riding in strollers. It was constantly a ride. awesome.

RogueHabit

This is the first visit we're having where both kids are old enough that we don't need to lug around a backpack full or diapers, wipes, spare clothes, etc.

A backpack is just too bulky.

WDWFigment

I'm not talking about people who choose to not use packs because they do not like them or find them uncomfortable or they don't fit their needs. Everyone has different styles and tastes.

I'm talking about the "OMG, I would just DIE and be so embarrassed because everyone will be laughing at me and you should not wear one either because all of the other guests will stop and point and stare and laugh at you....OMG the horror of it:eek:!" crowd. Sure, I'm exaggerating to be funny, but some posters on here nearly come across that way.:rolleyes:

My point is that no one cares what type of bag you use, just like no one cares what you wear on your feet. And if someone who is past junior high age is the type of person who would actually laugh outloud and make fun of someone because of the type of bag they are using at a theme park, then that is just sad.

I just do not understand telling somoene they should not wear something because you yourself find it to be ugly or out of style or whatever. If a " pack" fits someones needs better than another type of bag, why shouldn't they use it? If their only reason for choosing not to use it is because they think someone will laugh, then that also is just sad that they do not have more confidence in themselves.

I find crocs to be very ugly, and because I have narrow feet they are very uncomfortable and make it nearly impossible for me to walk in them. But I don't tell others not to wear them just because I think they are ugly.:shrug:

Your points are all valid, and would be correct, if the circumstances were different. However, the original poster asked what she should take with her. The replies stating that they detest packs because they're ugly aren't making fun of anyone, they're offering a rationale as to why one wouldn't carry a pack. It seems like what you're asking for is only objective advice on a topic that is subjective by nature.

It would be asking someone their opinion on a particular vehicle, and being displeased when they told you it was ugly. On this topic, I could have said, "take whatever you like best", but that is the equivalent (in my opinion) of not offering any advice.

I can't imagine anyone here, or anyone in general, would laugh out loud at someone for seeing a pack on them, so I don't think that's an issue.

All this said, you're right, no one really cares what you wear. If you care, and perhaps didn't previously know that fannypacks aren't...held in high regard...maybe some of the posts opining that they're ugly will help your decision. If you don't care, maybe you ignore those posts and focus on the ones that detail other advantages of each type of pack, instead.

WDWFigment

Oh, and since this thread is drifting towards the whole "Crocs debate", Crocs makes a great line of sandals that have all of the comfort of Crocs, but with the look of a typical thong sandal. The straps might cause soreness issues for some people, but I wear them almost everyday we're at WDW, and love them!

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I did not start this thread thinking there would be a great debate of fannypacks. I am not a fan of them, however I would use one if it was the most convient between that and a backpack. I am beginning my list of what to pack for my trip next week ( yes! 5 more days! ) and I really could not decide between a pack or a backpack. Still kinda iffy on which but you've all given me good ideas and I've seen some bags that I really like. Just gotta find them now..
...Anyway, just wanted to say that this was not intended to start a war. Just wanted advice and was curious what others used. Thanks again!

(*be looking for my trip report in about 2 weeks!*)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom