BackPack or FannyPack?

happymom52003

Everyone has different needs when it comes to bags for WDW. Wear whatever you find comfortable and suits your needs, whether it is a " pack" or not.

Alot of people wear things at Disney that they would not normally wear at home....certain types of shoes, hats, clothing, bags, etc.
When you are at a theme park all day in the heat, you want to be comfortable.

I broke down and bought a waist bag, or if you prefer " pack" at the WL gift shop a few years ago (it is small, black, has Mickey on it and I wear it low on my hips and to the side....it actually sits on my hips in the exact location as an "across the chest" purse would). I can't wear a backpack all day (my DH does that), and it really bothers me to have anything across my chest (I tried several types of the small purses/bags that go across your chest and they all bothered me).

Would I wear a "" pack outside of a theme park? No. I'm into fashion/style as much as any average woman....I'm a girly girl who likes cute clothes. But I have enough sense to realize that people at WDW are focused on their own vacation. The vast majority of people are not looking at or caring about the type of bag that other park guests are wearing. And I have enough self confidence to not care if there happened to be someone who thought I looked like a dork because I am wearing a waist bag.:shrug:With two kids, one of whom is still stroller age, comfort and convenience are my number one priority at WDW.
When it was just my DH and I, I carried a small purse over my shoulder....but with kids and a stroller that just does not work for me anymore.

So I guess my point is this....if you do not want to wear a certain type of bag/purse because it is uncomfortable to you or does not fit your needs, or it does not work well with your body type, then fine. But don't let a fear of what other people will think keep you from wearing it if you really want to use that type of bag.:wave:

WildLodgeFan

I use a small drawstring backpack. Camera, money, snack and my poncho if need be.

Ditto! Though I used to use a pack :lookaroun. (I hate to admit that)

I always use these backparks for parks or outdoor activities like fairs or ye olde ren fest to throw in my camera, money, poncho, small bottle of sunscreen (i'm really fair folks!), a hard eyeglass case for the glasses on rides of concern, chapstick to protect the lips, and a plastic bag of crystal light packets to boost the taste of water if it's not to my liking.

IndyDisney

I'd wager a guess that all of the posters suggesting to "just wear cargo shorts/pants" are all men. Why? women don't want to bulk up their thighs any more than they have to :lookaroun Same goes with a pack...attach something to your waist and draw more attention to it? No thanks! When I think about cargo shorts, I think about that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where the kid stuffs the pockets full with tater tots....:hurl: I'll just carry a light bag, thanks!

You are correct, I am a man, and I ALWAYS carry extra tater tots in my pockets, didn't I mention that??:lookaroun Oh, and my chapstick, 'cuz my lips hurt real bad!

Cheers,

Dave

SouthernGirl75

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

please no fannypack!!! i usually carry a "Backsack". It starts out small in a.m. and can expand as day goes on. The great thing is, it has limits, so you cant kill your back by overstuffing it. (A great example is the Vera Bradley ones....)
And in response to the poster that talks about not caring what you look like while you're on vacation.........WRONG!! I actually care more, I want my pictures to look good! LOL
FYI..........this may be obvious to some people, and may already be posted, but even if you're not staying a resort, you dont have to carry your packages around all day. you can send them to front of each park and pick up at end of day. :)

Missing20K

Have you looked into any Mountainsmith products? They make pseudo packs, they are called lumbar packs. They are bigger than a pack, much better looking, hold way more, etc. They are made for rock climbers and hikers to have lots of tools, food, chalk, etc. close at hand without too much bulk or throwing one's weight off too much, a big no no when rock climbing or doing any serious hiking. Just a thought, you may want to look into them. They are kind of expensive, but extremely good quality. They also make great camera bags. I have a backpack made by them. Pretty much all of there stuff is very high quality, with lifetime warranties, etc. Here's a look....

mountainsmith-tour-lumbar-pack.jpg

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
Have you looked into any Mountainsmith products? They make pseudo packs, they are called lumbar packs. They are bigger than a pack, much better looking, hold way more, etc. They are made for rock climbers and hikers to have lots of tools, food, chalk, etc. close at hand without too much bulk or throwing one's weight off too much, a big no no when rock climbing or doing any serious hiking. Just a thought, you may want to look into them. They are kind of expensive, but extremely good quality. They also make great camera bags. I have a backpack made by them. Pretty much all of there stuff is very high quality, with lifetime warranties, etc. Here's a look....

mountainsmith-tour-lumbar-pack.jpg

I actually like this better than anything else I've seen! Thanks!

BrittanyRose428

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I use a purse. :)
Backpacks I think are okay if you have stuff to put in them, I dont bring a video camera and everything I need fits fine inside my purse. Honestly unless youre taking care of kids or maybe a guy who doesnt want to use a man purse and is alone with no wife with a purse, I dont fully get why you would need a backpack or fannypack. What do you guys put in there? :shrug: And I agree with whoever else said it-- fannypacks are extremelyy tacky. They should be banned lOl.

krankenstein

What do you guys put in there? :shrug:

In my backpack I carry my rain jacket, band aids (in case I get a blister), basic medicine (Tylenol, pepto pills, etc), a regular water bottle, 2 bottles of vitamin water (one for lunch and one for dinner), individual packets of lemonade for my water bottle, snacks, a book to read while I wait for shows to start, my iPod normally is in there and my camera. It also gives me a place to stick anything I might buy at the parks.

Unplugged

I'd wager a guess that all of the posters suggesting to "just wear cargo shorts/pants" are all men. Why? women don't want to bulk up their thighs any more than they have to :lookaroun Same goes with a pack...attach something to your waist and draw more attention to it? No thanks! When I think about cargo shorts, I think about that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where the kid stuffs the pockets full with tater tots....:hurl: I'll just carry a light bag, thanks!

Yeah, so. What of it? May I ask what you do at the buffet lines?!? :lookaroun :wave:

"Oh, uh, Clark. This is All You Can Eat. We only need one plate."
"I'll take some of the yella..... And don't get cheap on me!"
- Cousin Eddie, Vegas Vacation

Susan Savia

I have a canvas bag I use for trips and wear it across my chest, leaving my hands free. It has a nice flap on the outside for sliding in my park maps and a pocket that zips for my pass. The inside is deep and I can easily put my camera, glasses, wallet, cell phone and a few snacks and a bottle of water in the side pocket.

I purchased a camera bag from Epcot few years back and I use it as a pack sometimes. Not real big, just enough room for the essentials.
I kinda like my bigger bag better for the room it has.

Next Trip - January 2009

Yellow Shoes

As you can see, I am a pack lover and will continue to use them despite the snickers and stares.

And for what it's worth, I personally think that bulging cargo pockets are also a fashion statement in and of themselves.

Mr.EPCOT

A good idea is a Camelback, they make them with storage in them, too, besides just the water pouch. Gotta stay hydrated, and have something to carry other stuff in, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom