BackPack or FannyPack?

Scar Junior

I've been home less than 24 hours and have to buck the majority and insist on a pack.

First off, WDW is a marathon, not a sprint. You need something that is always comfortable.

I tried a one-shoulder bag a while back. It was fine until the end of day 2. My shoulder and neck were killing me. Unlike a backpack or just a purse that can be shifted to the other shoulder, the construction of this bag would not allow that. It always had to be worn on the right shoulder.

Backpacks are comfortable enough, but highly inconvenient. As DivineMadness7 pointed out, it is incredibly inconvenient to get to anything that's on your back. A photo opportunity is usually gone by the time you shuck off the pack, open a zipper or drawstring, find the camera, turn it on, etc.

Not to mention the fact that a backpack ALWAYS has to come off for a ride or to sit comfortably anywhere. Constantly taking it on and off increases your chances of leaving it somewhere.

packs, on the other hand, have none of these drawbacks. Your camera is ALWAYS right in front ready to be whipped out almost instantaneously. You can sit in a doom buggy without removing it. You don't need to put it on a potentially dirty or wet floor at a restaurant.

In fact, the only bad thing anyone seems to say about packs is that they're ugly.

Nothing is as ugly as the thousands of exposed bra straps and nasty feet I saw this past week.

Hey! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

DivineMadness7

I've been home less than 24 hours and have to buck the majority and insist on a pack.

First off, WDW is a marathon, not a sprint. You need something that is always comfortable.

I tried a one-shoulder bag a while back. It was fine until the end of day 2. My shoulder and neck were killing me. Unlike a backpack or just a purse that can be shifted to the other shoulder, the construction of this bag would not allow that. It always had to be worn on the right shoulder.

Backpacks are comfortable enough, but highly inconvenient. As DivineMadness7 pointed out, it is incredibly inconvenient to get to anything that's on your back. A photo opportunity is usually gone by the time you shuck off the pack, open a zipper or drawstring, find the camera, turn it on, etc.

Not to mention the fact that a backpack ALWAYS has to come off for a ride or to sit comfortably anywhere. Constantly taking it on and off increases your chances of leaving it somewhere.

packs, on the other hand, have none of these drawbacks. Your camera is ALWAYS right in front ready to be whipped out almost instantaneously. You can sit in a doom buggy without removing it. You don't need to put it on a potentially dirty or wet floor at a restaurant.

In fact, the only bad thing anyone seems to say about packs is that they're ugly.

Nothing is as ugly as the thousands of exposed bra straps and nasty feet I saw this past week.

While I have to disagree about the pack :p you make an excellent point about leaving it somewhere. I still find my across the chest, on my hip bag to be the best alternative. Granted I haven't worn a pack since I was about 8 years old :p I sort of have a feeling it would get in the way of lapbars and just be a general pain to take on and off. There isn't really any "adjusting" you can do with a pack. I can put mine over either hip, wear it in the front, wear it in the back...I guess the pack isn't exactly figure flattering either :lookaroun

I've spent the past 2 months looking for a disney bag. Honestly, the ones that made it into my top 10 were all "guide" style bags. Lots of pockets, generally an over-the-shoulder/cross-chest sort of deal. Other than the one in my previous post, LL Bean also makes a similar (and less expensive) bag called the "carryall guide bag" http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=carryall-guide-bag&categoryId=53797&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&shop_method=pp&feat=4520-tn It's about $19 and looks to get very good customer reviews. I only chose the baggallini because I preferred the style and their color selections.

Goofy's Girl

I have two small packs that I take with me. One is dark blue and the other black. They are just big enough to fit my p&s camera, key to world card, cheap rain poncho and lipstick(still got to look good at the World :lol:) in.I just sling it over my shoulder like a purse with the pack in the back. It's so small that you can hardly see it on my shoulder. It fits nicely in those nets when on rides like RNR.

HeatherK

I would use a fannypack, if thats what you want to call it, because it is slightly bigger then an average pack, and about 4 capartments. Now my mom actually took it and uses it as an over the shoulder purse. I would bring my fannypack to 6 flags great adventure and it was amazing. I would slide it onto my belt loop, and it stayed there, not loose, for every ride.

When I went to Cedar Point in May, I used my tiny purse, wristlet thing, to hold my camera, my very thin phone (that i miss dearly), a few dollars in cash and credit card / liscense. I clipped it onto my belt loop and once again not loose, because they make you get a locker for loose objects which is annoying.

My bf and I are going to WDW in 2 weeks, and he is bringing his video camera, so we were going to bring my laptop backpack that is padded on the shoulder straps and in the backpack for his camera, and to hold poncos for the rainy season, etc. For the rides, I just slip the shoulder straps around my legs and it is fine.

If you want something small, I would suggest a wristlet or something small like that, it doesn't have to be a fannypack.

WDWFigment

I suppose rather than just knock packs, I should add something substantive (although I find it important to knock them, since they are a serious problem). I use a small hydration pack with the bladder removed. The one I have is the North Face Gulper. There are plenty of other good ones.

yankspy

Back Pack. As I get older I find that I have too much stuff to carry. However, I hate the ones with the stringy straps. Those things dig into my shoulders after about an hour.:)

Phonedave

2 cameras in your pockets? And in cargo shorts? Not a wise idea, IMHO. Maybe men can get away with that, but I find it to be much more comfortable to just take a small bag, it really isn't that much of a hassle. I think I'd feel like my pants were weighing me down! The bag check takes about 3 minutes to get through. I also think if you're carrying that much in your pockets, you should have to go through the bag check anyway but I guess that's a different discussion for another thread :rolleyes:

Count me in the same group.

Cargo shorts, cargo shorts, cargo shorts.

Camera, cell phone, wallet, glasses, and autograph book and pen. The camera is actualy in a case inside my pocket. I could put the case on my belt, but a) I don't like it there and b) it is more apt to get damaged that way.

I in no way feel weighed down, I have no bags to keep track of, I have both hands (and feet for that matter) free, and I zip right past bag check. I would guess that what I carry weighs about a pound or so. Not weighty at all.

I used to be a backpack person. I packed everything. I think it stems from both having kids and backpacking (where even though you pack lite, you do pack for an emergency). However, about 3 years ago I started with the minimalist movement :) My kids are 7 and 9 now, so I dont need "supplies" for them, and it really has made it a lot more enjoyable for me.

-dave

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I suppose rather than just knock packs, I should add something substantive (although I find it important to knock them, since they are a serious problem). I use a small hydration pack with the bladder removed. The one I have is the North Face Gulper. There are plenty of other good ones.

:lookaroun :lol:
A serious problem to the fashion police.

Seriously, just go for cargo pants and be done with it.

disneynut4u

I actually wear both. I layer a button up shirt over a tank top just so the pack is not very visible. I use a backpack for "incidentals" like kleenex, hand sanitizer, cameras, maps, ponchos, etc. My dad doesn't ride much, so what he does not ride, we leave the backpack with him. My pack holds my money, ID's, tickets, shades. Since most rides end in gift shops, I'll always have money on me. It's really not that bad.

IndyDisney

I actually use a full-fledged camping back pack with bedroll and all!:lookaroun

Yeah, not so much. I'm in the Cargo Shorts camp, and the more pockets, the merrier. Money clip, cards, camera, phone, plus all the junk my wife makes me carry . . . did I say junk, I meant precious belongings.

Now, for our next trip, I'll have to carry something since we're taking DD along and we'll need diapers, wipes and the lot. . . although, I have found out that I can carry up to 4 diapers in each thigh pocket of cargo pants . . . makes you wonder, right???

Cheers,

Dave

disneydiva72

I have a "thing" for purses.....if your going to go , get what I bought.....

o_vitdyb5iFg5IJgP.jpg

Its hot, I love it and I get compliments all the time on it when Im at Disney, most girls/Ladies/Moms are like "I LOVE IT! Its the cool version of a hip pouch!" lol

Phonedave

I actually use a full-fledged camping back pack with bedroll and all!:lookaroun

Yeah, not so much. I'm in the Cargo Shorts camp, and the more pockets, the merrier. Money clip, cards, camera, phone, plus all the junk my wife makes me carry . . . did I say junk, I meant precious belongings.

Now, for our next trip, I'll have to carry something since we're taking DD along and we'll need diapers, wipes and the lot. . . although, I have found out that I can carry up to 4 diapers in each thigh pocket of cargo pants . . . makes you wonder, right???

Cheers,

Dave

When my two girls were younger, I did take my backpacking pack. I didn't clean it out as well as I thought, and when I went though bag check they found waterproof matches, halzone tablets, and a space blanket. Hey, the MK can be a rough place, you need to be prepared for anything. :)

-dave

DivineMadness7

I'd wager a guess that all of the posters suggesting to "just wear cargo shorts/pants" are all men. Why? women don't want to bulk up their thighs any more than they have to :lookaroun Same goes with a pack...attach something to your waist and draw more attention to it? No thanks! When I think about cargo shorts, I think about that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where the kid stuffs the pockets full with tater tots....:hurl: I'll just carry a light bag, thanks!

DivineMadness7

I have a "thing" for purses.....if your going to go , get what I bought.....

o_vitdyb5iFg5IJgP.jpg

Its hot, I love it and I get compliments all the time on it when Im at Disney, most girls/Ladies/Moms are like "I LOVE IT! Its the cool version of a hip pouch!" lol

What's that quote about putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig? What? Did I say something wrong? :lookaroun

Just kidding. Not really my taste, but I guess it's at least one step up from the hot orange/lime green one I owned as a 9 year old. And probably quite a bit pricier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom