GrumpyFan

Of course.
Its contents are not public knowledge, but you don't think they agreed to the licensing of his property without everyone signing something, do you?

Yes, but contracts like those have all kinds of stipulations and loopholes by both parties, where either can pretty much walk away if conditions aren't met.

Clowd Nyne

That being said from a pure dollars and cents point if view wouldn't be much more lucrative for Disney to do Star Wars instead. As much IPs as they are purchasing is seems that they don't want to share anything.

SirLink

If they put a Star Wars land at DAK instead of Avatar, I really cant object to it because I've supported Avatar from the beginning. That being said, I dont like the idea. So, call me a hypocrite.

Nope doesn't make you hypocrite - at least with Avatar you have a focus on flora and fauna - neither of which are described in detail about any Star Wars planet.

WDWFREAK53

Star Wars works thematically as well as Avatar IMO (which isn't very well at all). However, IF Star Tours were moved, I would prefer it over Avatar at DAK.

To me, the whole Avatar idea (or whatever) looks like they're forcing creativity. Animal Kingdom needs to be finished more than "plussed." I don't know why they couldn't add a continent type environment/area (Australia or either of the Americas) in the area between Africa and Asia then fully build out Dino-land (so long Chster and Hester) before Uni does Jurassic Park. That would round out the park substantially without forcing a theme other than "Disney's Animal Kingdom" which, for me, is enough. It's a beautiful but incomplete park; just finish it!

How does Star Wars fit in thematically with DAK? (Or did I just read your post wrong?)
Avatar has the conservation aspect going for it...

I'd like to see Star Wars take up an expansion plot at DHS (If there is one!). Create an entire area (much like Carsland at DCA)

Entrance to the land could be the Tattoinne Desert...which could transition to the forest moon of Endor...and finally transition to the snowcapped Hoth.

Attractions:
Speeder Bike Coaster through the forest. "Motorbike coaster" with near misses of trees and troopers trying to "take you out." AT-ST walkers could be "firing" at you also.

Pod Race Simulator on Tattoine. Hop into individual pods (4 person vehicles) and have the entire attraction linked so each simulator reacts to the others movements. Racers have complete control of steering, boosters, braking, and weaponry. Courses will change randomly. People that aren't racing can choose to be spectators and watch on a giant screen...or become part of the action and try to disrupt the racers from the hilltops.

Ewok Dinner show...much like Hoop-Dee-Doo.

Mos Eisley Cantina.

Multi-sensory Snowspeeder attraction which utilizes 3D video screens, live sets, and giant animatronics. Snow, wind, fire, etc.

Family "Dark Ride". Interior/Exterior dark which takes you on an exploration of Naboo. The attraction could show scenes of the battlegrounds where all of the Droids "stopped working" and it could be narrated to tell the story of the "chosen one" who, even as a boy, saved an entire planet. As you move along, you could go under the sea and explore the Gungan world...and the climax would be a travel through the planet's core.

Bairstow

Yes, but contracts like those have all kinds of stipulations and loopholes by both parties, where either can pretty much walk away if conditions aren't met.

Unless Disney can somehow show that Cameron's meddling made performance impossible (which is unlikely, legally speaking), their breaking the contract by not building the theme park areas in the agreed-upon window of time will probably result in their having to pay out certain liquidated damages to Cameron, or else be at risk for being sued for the same. Considering the amount of money at stake and the parties involved, I doubt very much that either side's lawyers left any "loopholes" in the contract that would allow Disney to weasel out of their obligations in this scenario.

Midlife Mouse

T

This is a great idea. I would love to a North America themed area.

I've thought for a while that WRE could be revived, re-tooled and expanded to create the hub of an N. America land. Heck, throw in aspects of the Family Farm, State Fair and Native American lands from Disney's America.

If they simply MUST have an Avatar presence, make it a single attraction within Beastly Kingdomme.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just FWIW, In bringing up the star wars.... I did NOT mean at Animal Kingdom. It would bomb!

I am not a fan of putting Star Wars in AK since I don't think it fits, but I think it would hugely succesful if they did because I don't believe the general public cares as much about the cohesive theme of a park as we do.

I think Avatar works because of it's strong conservation theme, it's focus on the natural world in which it was set and the importance of nature to the story, but with all that said it was right on the edge of being a good fit. Star Wars doesn't fit at all to me. Just because a movie has natural environments doesn't make it a fit for AK. Would we want them to put an Incredibles attraction in AK since it had a section that took place in a jungle?

GrumpyFan

Unless Disney can somehow show that Cameron's meddling made performance impossible (which is unlikely, legally speaking), their breaking the contract by not building the theme park areas in the agreed-upon window of time will probably result in their having to pay out certain liquidated damages to Cameron, or else be at risk for being sued for the same. Considering the amount of money at stake and the parties involved, I doubt very much that either side's lawyers left any "loopholes" in the contract that would allow Disney to weasel out of their obligations in this scenario.

All this is assuming there actually is a hard contract in place between the two. The most I ever saw on this was that they were forming a "a long-term creative partnership", which just sounds kind of like a loose agreement to work together and share ideas. I'm sure there was some licensing usage contracts that were written for when Disney actually built and started using Cameron's creations, but since nothing has come out of it (yet), there wouldn't be any money changing hands.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think it was realized that this was inevitable as is clearing out Camp Minnie Mickey.
Quite possibly correct, but as of late, Disney does not have a reputation for doing things like this until they have to. If expansion plans in that area were truely dead, I just don't see them investing in this move.

Midlife Mouse

All this is assuming there actually is a hard contract in place between the two. The most I ever saw on this was that they were forming a "a long-term creative partnership", which just sounds kind of like a loose agreement to work together and share ideas. I'm sure there was some licensing usage contracts that were written for when Disney actually built and started using Cameron's creations, but since nothing has come out of it (yet), there wouldn't be any money changing hands.

More than likely this is handled similarly to an option or development deal in the film/TV world: Disney paid a premium to have exclusive rights to develop the intellectual property in a theme park environment. If they fail to do so within a certain time period (five years, maybe?), Cameron walks away with a chunk of cash and the freedom to market Avatar theme park rights to Universal or whomever he likes.

DocMcHulk

I am not a fan of putting Star Wars in AK since I don't think it fits, but I think it would hugely succesful if they did because I don't believe the general public cares as much about the cohesive theme of a park as we do.

I think Avatar works because of it's strong conservation theme, it's focus on the natural world in which it was set and the importance of nature to the story, but with all that said it was right on the edge of being a good fit. Star Wars doesn't fit at all to me. Just because a movie has natural environments doesn't make it a fit for AK. Would we want them to put an Incredibles attraction in AK since it had a section that took place in a jungle?
Wouldnt it make so much more sense at DHS? I mean, there's room for expansion and there is already an attraction there.

Bairstow

No money has to change hands for there to be a contract.
Considering how a commitment like this can (and did) effect stock prices, they wouldn't have announced anything before paper was signed. Even barring that, think about all the internal resources Disney is committing to design the area and its attractions- heck, from the sounds of things Disney is already in negotiations with third-party vendors like Dynamic Structures and Vekoma. For Disney's protection they never would have done any of this without some sort of contractual reassurances from Cameron that he would uphold his side of the licensing agreement. I'm sure there are some flexible elements in whatever arrangement they have- windows of performance and conditions that must be met for various obligations, but you can be pretty sure that as soon as they announced the "long-term creative partnership" it was far too late for either party to simply walk away clean.

RunnerEd

How does Star Wars fit in thematically with DAK? (Or did I just read your post wrong?)
Avatar has the conservation aspect going for it...

I'd like to see Star Wars take up an expansion plot at DHS (If there is one!). Create an entire area (much like Carsland at DCA)

Entrance to the land could be the Tattoinne Desert...which could transition to the forest moon of Endor...and finally transition to the snowcapped Hoth.

Attractions:
Speeder Bike Coaster through the forest. "Motorbike coaster" with near misses of trees and troopers trying to "take you out." AT-ST walkers could be "firing" at you also.

Pod Race Simulator on Tattoine. Hop into individual pods (4 person vehicles) and have the entire attraction linked so each simulator reacts to the others movements. Racers have complete control of steering, boosters, braking, and weaponry. Courses will change randomly. People that aren't racing can choose to be spectators and watch on a giant screen...or become part of the action and try to disrupt the racers from the hilltops.

Ewok Dinner show...much like Hoop-Dee-Doo.

Mos Eisley Cantina.

Multi-sensory Snowspeeder attraction which utilizes 3D video screens, live sets, and giant animatronics. Snow, wind, fire, etc.

Family "Dark Ride". Interior/Exterior dark which takes you on an exploration of Naboo. The attraction could show scenes of the battlegrounds where all of the Droids "stopped working" and it could be narrated to tell the story of the "chosen one" who, even as a boy, saved an entire planet. As you move along, you could go under the sea and explore the Gungan world...and the climax would be a travel through the planet's core.

IMO, neither one does. Sorry for the confusion. I think the Endor moon/Kasheek (sp?), wilderness of Naboo, etc. environments could fit at DAK as well as Pandora. My main point was in the second paragraph stating that I think they are trying too hard. They should think a little more simple, add another continent and make Dino-land awesome (with a night time spectacular) and you have a great, full day park.

Love your ideas for a Star Wars land at DHS!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom