LOSTllama

There are 3D renderings leaked for what could possible be the ride system for it. (Not sure if they've made it on here yet.) and they just had a press release (for the investors of course) I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen, even if its a big and bold gamble.

Prototype82,

Which renderings? The blueprint drawings or something new?

SJN1279

I was thinking since Avatar consists of Soarin 2.0, a restaurant and a boat ride, why not just convert the Land Pavilion in Epcot to Pandora? They could theme the hell out of the building and not have to devote a whole land to Avatar(while still updating Soarin, which desperately needs it).

LOSTllama

I was thinking since Avatar consists of Soarin 2.0, a restaurant and a boat ride, why not just convert the Land Pavilion in Epcot to Pandora? They could theme the hell out of the building and not have to devote a whole land to Avatar(while still updating Soarin, which desperately needs it).

It's funny you mention this... Though I think redoing The Land is a bad idea for AVATAR, I think that Imagineering should use what they did with The Land as a framework for Pandora. A large pavilion like that with attractions coming off as spurs from it would be perfect. It's the way that I designed my mock up for the area, when I was doodling around.

Prototype82

Because Epcot is supposed to be about the REAL world....

Animal Kingdom on the other hand, was supposed to house a fantasy world to begin with....

jdmdisney99

So we now know that the land will replace Camp Minnie Mickey...or at least something will (hopefully), it will feature a boat ride through the bioluminescence of Pandora, a simulator flight on a Banshee around the forested moon, and a plethora of glowing plants that will be a maintenance challenge. Just thought I'd revive the thread to keep all of the specific news compiled here.

jt04

So we now know that the land will replace Camp Minnie Mickey...or at least something will (hopefully), it will feature a boat ride through the bioluminescence of Pandora, a simulator flight on a Banshee around the forested moon, and a plethora of glowing plants that will be a maintenance challenge. Just thought I'd revive the thread to keep all of the specific news compiled here.

It is hilarious to read some of the older posts in this thread.

jt04

Well it seems, regarding Avatar:

its-dead-jim.jpg

See what I mean? :hilarious:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In defense of the people who thought it was dead there were about 2 years between the announcement and when they put the stick in the ground. Not a peep from anyone on anything. It was like one of those coma patients who are out for years and then suddenly wake up. A shock to everyone, but in a good way:).

jt04

In defense of the people who thought it was dead there were about 2 years between the announcement and when they put the stick in the ground. Not a peep from anyone on anything. It was like one of those coma patients who are out for years and then suddenly wake up. A shock to everyone, but in a good way:).

I never sleep. :bored:

MerlinTheGoat

It was quite obviously a very troubled project in serious danger of being canned during that time it went silent, and it did go silent for a very long time. Projects can die and come back to life at a later time, sounds like that's what happened with Avatar for some time. It has taken them that long to announce any sort of concept art, the project was delayed for quite a while (Iger originally tried to tell people it would be done by 2015), and it STILL hasn't begun construction. That it has taken them this long to even begin building should be a clear sign to all but the most dense that the project was on thin ice (and may very well have died completely at one point before being resurrected) during its silence.

MerlinTheGoat

Sorry, but this was never "confirmed" and nothing more than biased hearsay. Avatarland was never "shelved" or in jeopardy of being cancelled. Generally speaking, some folks have trouble admitting when they're wrong, so they make things up. Avatarland is unique because it's a collaborative effort that has to be strategically aligned with the upcoming film installments.
Nope, and I would really think twice before calling people like Lee and WDW1974 biased liars. They have been right countless times in the past and know exactly what they're talking about (Lee I believe was one of the people who confirmed the Mine Train was being included in Fantasyland instead of the Tremain chateau before anyone else, and WDW1974 is well known for his track record across multiple forums, recently he confirmed well ahead of time that George Kalogridis was going to become the next president of WDW). And not only did they tell people the project was in trouble when it was, but they were also the first to tell everyone that it was back on track again when they got the info, hardly refusing to admit a mistake. There again was no mistake in the first place, the project was obviously in turmoil and in a danger of being canned. Bob Iger was already caught lying when he said last year it would be done in 2015. There's a reason it took us so long to get any concept art.

Oh okay, so this explains why we are still waiting for the completion of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train -- because "its nothing compared to building a new world-class theme parks and attractions such as EPCOT or Tokyo DL." Got it.
You're out of your mind if you're going to try to claim the Dwarf Coaster or anything else in New Fantasyland for that matter can even hope to compare to the likes of building EPCOT Center and Tokyo Disneyland. It took the original EPCOT about three years to build. A park infinitely more content rich, impressive and ambitious than New Fantasyland. Even each individual Future World E Ticket ride (Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, etc) originally built blows the entirety of Fantasyland and its expansion out of the water. By the time the Dwarf Coaster is complete, it will have taken them well over 4 years to complete the Fantasyland Expansion. We're still waiting because Disney is intentionally choosing to build it slowly.

Do you realize how childish this sounds? For starters if Disney said "deals off" they would have to pay an extremely large sum of money to both Cameron and Fox for backing out of the contract. In addition they would have to deal with the fallout from press/wall street/customers why they announced a major new addition for Walt Disney World that was going to drive attendance and then cancel it a year later which would be made even more difficult if Cameron opened his mouth to the press on why the project fell through.

Secondly, it's not "Disney's way or the highway" if Disney really did want to get out of their parternship, Cameron could EASILY walk over to Universal to make a deal with them, team up with Fox for their rumored theme park project, or even build his own Pandora Park if he wanted to. Cameron is not someone who is going to get intimidated. This is a guy who screamed in Scwarzeneggers face to get him in line when Arnie was acting like a big shot while filming True Lies. He's no shrinking violet nor will he compromise his vision.

Finally, even if we pretended the paragraph you wrote was true and didn't have major flaws in it Disney would have instantly dropped Avatar once Cameron started arguing over a budget (just like Eisner broke up the Star Tours 2 deal with Lucas when Disney refused to give the budget it needed) especially in the wake of the Star Wars acquisition last year. The fact that they didn't do something like that right away should tell you that they couldn't .
You should take those points up with the insiders here as they're the ones i'm repeating, we don't really know what the original contract entailed in the first place. Cameron is said to have approached Universal with the idea of Avatar before Disney but they are said to have turned his proposal down. Also not my words, but Disney is his only other choice apart from building his own theme park by himself. There's also no logic in comparing trying to direct an actor to do right on the set and trying to negotiate a deal with the executives behind a multi billion dollar mega corporation. I highly doubt Cameron has very much control over the financials of this project, otherwise we'd be seeing a ride in this project far more ambitious than a Soarin clone and boat ride. Several insiders (including recently Martin) have mentioned a third major ride was originally under consideration, now no longer part of the plan. He has already compromised.

The reason I am inclined to believe what insiders have said (besides their track record) is that despite some underlying logic in your points- Disney often acts in incredibly illogical ways and has gotten to be an incredibly incompetent and slow-moving corporation that makes very short sighted business decisions. If this was the same company from 20 years ago or so, i'd probably agree with at least many of your points. Though we probably also wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place either.

CTXRover

Even insiders (whose info I appreciate) can be wrong from time to time or fed less than truthful or biased information. My guess is avatar went through a difficult blue sky process and we had a unique opportunity in it being the only major project announced before development really started in the internet age where we even had info from this stage being available.

I truly feel Iger was wrong on his dates when he said 2015. Possibly why per some folks he looked "uncomfortable" answering as he didn't have the dates right in his head.

When the Project was announced in Sept 2011, the official line from Tom Staggs in the FAQ posted on the Parks Blog was "we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning.....we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build."

It seems a bit behind that as construction of the land itself has yet to start although construction for it to come (I.e. TLK theater) has started, so technically construction had started in 2013.

Five years of development anf construction from 2011 would take us to late 2016 at the earliest.

Now per Tom Staggs re: the new area and its attractions: "
we currently expect them to open in early 2017".

Early 2017 is a broad range and could even be talking in Fiscal quarters which could really mean late 2016 in the actual calendar year.

Thus it would seem to be perhaps a few months, not years, behind any schedule.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Knowing the kind of strong willed creative people that Cameron and Rohde are, and looking at Cameron's history, I would have been shocked to hear that the project went smoothly.

Just read through this thread and find this discussion interesting. I am not an 'insider' by any stretch of the imagination but I am always amused at the statements that are made like 'the project was in trouble' or there was 'disagreements between Cameron and Disney' and 'it almost didn't happen' etc. I happen to work for the evil empire that is Big Pharma and I have had the 'privilege' of sitting in on major capital project meetings with executive directors, VPs, senior VPs and the like. I have also witnessed people with dissenting ideas clash at these meetings.

What I find to be true in most cases is that Type A people (who typically rise the these types of positions in life) that come together to unite for a common idea do not accomplish this task by merrily holding hands while standing on the deck of the good ship lollypop where everyone agrees on a single path forward. The process is typically painful with incredible difference of opinion on how to move forward, how much money to spend, blah blah blah. In the end, a goal is ultimately achieved, looks nothing like it originally did, certain parts were rushed while others are extended, deadlines extended or changed entirely. I would imagine that a project like adding Pandora to the canon of Disney was a painful process and will continue to be so until it is completed.

DKampy

Ummm...I think the timeline path Pandora has been on makes sense...People complain how long it is taking to get going, but Disney made the announcement regarding Avatar before even developing the concept. I would think for an expansion such as this it would take at least 2 years for the research and design phase. people are so spoiled. The forums are use to announcement then concept art. That was not possible here...As soon as Cameron and Disney reached a deal...it was announced to the public.

twebber55

I will say this. I'm thankful for the insiders who are on these boards. I appreciate the information they provide and the discussion that results. It's fun and more interesting on people just throwing ideas around without any basis in reality.

However, I think all too often people apply too much reverence to the posts by known insiders. We have to realize that even "facts" are filtered through personal opinions of the poster. I think the Avatar info is likely a good example of that -- labeling the project as "troubled" or "about to be cancelled" or the like is more of an interpretation of information than an objective description. I understand that the insiders here are not going to be at liberty to offer specific details of things most of the time, so we make due with what we have. But I don't see the problem with people having skepticism about what is relayed especially when information is too vague to know exactly what is going on.
well said (as always) i ve always felt the people who are anti avatar have been quick to jump on any negative press about the project or less than positive words from our insiders...the insiders drive this board period..and i enjoy what they have to say but i dont cling to every word they say either

ps love the usage of reverence

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom