ChrisM

Like it or not, the prequels are in the books as cannon now. Rebooting them in a Star Trek like fashion is not necessary. You might get away with it after GL is dead, but not before.

I fully expect the prequels to be rebooted after Lucas is dead (let us pray). But you're absolutely correct: nothing will happen beforehand.

A good buddy of mine is really high up at ILM and I've actually had the opportunity to dine with George (albeit at a pretty large table). My impression of him is that he's (A) really strange/goofy and (B) absolutely surrounded by sycophants. I'm sure if he asked most of his people to smell his farts they would break into applause and rapturous smiles, declaring it the most fragrant aroma to have ever passed their nostrils.

Done correctly, the Heir to the Empire trilogy could bury episodes 4-6. There is no need to go backwards.

Done correct, the prequels could have too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I fully expect the prequels to be rebooted after Lucas is dead (let us pray). But you're absolutely correct: nothing will happen beforehand.

A good buddy of mine is really high up at ILM and I've actually had the opportunity to dine with George (albeit at a pretty large table). My impression of him is that he's (A) really strange/goofy and (B) absolutely surrounded by sycophants. I'm sure if he asked most of his people to smell his farts they would break into applause and rapturous smiles, declaring it the most fragrant aroma to have ever passed their nostrils.

Done correct, the prequels could have too.
I do not doubt that you are correct. Being surround by yes men seriously curbs creativity. I just do not find the prequels as bad as most. Do I dilike Jar-Jar? Sure, but nowhere near as much as I hate C3-P0 and Empire is one of my least favorite SW movies simply because my favorite character acts like a spoiled, whiny little b%&@h through the whole thing.

RSoxNo1

I do not doubt that you are correct. Being surround by yes men seriously curbs creativity. I just do not find the prequels as bad as most. Do I dilike Jar-Jar? Sure, but nowhere near as much as I hate C3-P0 and Empire is one of my least favorite SW movies simply because my favorite character acts like a spoiled, whiny little b%&@h through the whole thing.
I would argue that Revenge of the Sith holds up better than any of the 6 movies.

Beholder

I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Lucas for turning the baddest villain to ever show up on film into someone that at age 10 or so you could throw a pair of glasses on him and becomes Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch. Or that his pet name is Annie. Or he once tried to (and failed) to ride a giant hamster to impress a girl. Or at the end of Sith, he stumbles around like Frankenstein's monster crying over a girl. It's Vader! Vader doesn't cry! Ever! He makes other people cry. I grew up with the originals, so to me, Lord Vader has ALWAYS been the ultimate bad guy. Making him human, well, it just makes him...human.

Rant over. Maybe Lucas (in one of his lucid moments) will "leave" Star Wars and it's universe in the hands of Disney? THAT would create some interesting scenarios.

PirateFrank

While I largely feel Lucas failed at this, there's no denying that his objective was to humanize Darth Vader. He was looking to build a credible background that crystalized why he was so evil. While I think Hayden Christensen's performance, especially in the ROTS....literally killed any chance of Lucas achieving his objective....the objective was clear.

What can turn a man so absolutely rotten inside that good no longer matters???....there's nothing I can think of beyond the loss of a woman.

I can't think of another thing that would do it...and had Lucas tried to make it out to be some evil mojo dark side of the force powder/spell that Anakin came under, like Indiana chanting "mola ram sukaram"...instead of the above mentioned loss of a woman, it would have been simply awful.

Now having said that, Christensen prevented Lucas from ever realizing this objective. His acting was that bad. I actually thought he was much better in Attack of the Clones...because the story didn't completely revolve around him yet. By the third movie, so much of the plot required Christensen to deliver a believable performance as a man consumed by obsession and hatred to such an extent that he literally broke bad in a galactic way...he just wasn't up to the task.

Bairstow

You can't blame much, if anything, on Christensen.
What's an actor supposed to do with lines like, "I hate sand...it's coarse and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft... and smooth."

To anyone that still harbors respect for Lucas as a writer or director, I would direct your attention to Mike Stoklasa's Mr. Plinkett reviews of the prequel movies. You know, the ones that are as long as the movies themselves and have millions of hits on Youtube.
Warning though: they're not at all Disney-like.
They are as entertaining and educational as they are horrifying and crude.

To keep it OT, "Plinkett" has reviewed Avatar too.

Beholder

I totally understand the intent. Bruce Wayne is FAR more convincing as a tourtured soul, someone who is constantly walking that edge between light and dark. I use that comparison for the similar, tragic childhood thing. I (opinion) never liked the approach to "making" Vader evil. Growing up, I'd kind of assumed that there was a part of him that was inherently
"wrong". A "bad seed", if you will. And I found
the "explanation" for his birth so contrived and as hokey as anything Dr Jones ever chanted.

I totally understand the goal to humanize DV, to bring down a basically good person to the depths of depravity and, well, the Dark Side. I guess I just expected someone a little more brooding and "creepy". Not Annie.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I largely feel Lucas failed at this, there's no denying that his objective was to humanize Darth Vader. He was looking to build a credible background that crystalized why he was so evil. While I think Hayden Christensen's performance, especially in the ROTS....literally killed any chance of Lucas achieving his objective....the objective was clear.

What can turn a man so absolutely rotten inside that good no longer matters???....there's nothing I can think of beyond the loss of a woman.

I can't think of another thing that would do it...and had Lucas tried to make it out to be some evil mojo dark side of the force powder/spell that Anakin came under, like Indiana chanting "mola ram sukaram"...instead of the above mentioned loss of a woman, it would have been simply awful.

Now having said that, Christensen prevented Lucas from ever realizing this objective. His acting was that bad. I actually thought he was much better in Attack of the Clones...because the story didn't completely revolve around him yet. By the third movie, so much of the plot required Christensen to deliver a believable performance as a man consumed by obsession and hatred to such an extent that he literally broke bad in a galactic way...he just wasn't up to the task.
You can't blame much, if anything, on Christensen.
What's an actor supposed to do with lines like, "I hate sand...it's coarse and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft... and smooth."

To anyone that still harbors respect for Lucas as a writer or director, I would direct your attention to Mike Stoklasa's Mr. Plinkett reviews of the prequel movies. You know, the ones that are as long as the movies themselves and have millions of hits on Youtube.
Warning though: they're not at all Disney-like.
They are as entertaining and educational as they are horrifying and crude.

To keep it OT, "Plinkett" has reviewed Avatar too.
I think you are both kind of right. Hayden was not a good actor but this was something that could have been improved upon if Lucas was a better director. From what limited on set direction I have seen Lucas do, he does not appear to give direction that well. It is like he knows what he wants but can't really communicate it well. A good actor will be able to pull out a good performance in spite of this. A poor actor, not so much.

Beholder

I don't blame Christensen for his portrayal, I blame the overall casting and flash over substance approach the films seemed to have. That's MY perception. I don't hate Lucas, I've just scratched my head more than a few times over his decisions (Han shot FIRST!).

RunnerEd

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any interest on the part of Lucas to bring any more of SW into the parks then there already is. And since he's come out and stated he's retiring (albeit comments he's made before), it doesn't appear he's too concerned about either his legacy or the next generation of SW fans. I think if Disney could have brought more Star Wars into the parks by now, they would have.

When being interviewed about Star Tours 2.0, Lucas said that the original attraction was made to be updated but it wasn't (after which he got a strange look from Staggs). When they did the re-boot, he said he wanted to do them all at once, thus the multiple destinations; no need for an update of the show. If TWDC told him from the beginning that Star Tours would be updated but left the same attraction in place for so long, can you really blame Lucas for not really being interested in working with them. They let his product get stale.

Beholder

When being interviewed about Star Tours 2.0, Lucas said that the original attraction was made to be updated but it wasn't (after which he got a strange look from Staggs). When they did the re-boot, he said he wanted to do them all at once, thus the multiple destinations; no
need for an update of the show. If TWDC told
him from the beginning that Star Tours would be
updated but left the same attraction in place
for so long, can you really blame Lucas for not
really being interested in working with them.
They let his product get stale.

If true, that's sad. But an updated, well maintained Star Wars themed area would be an amazing addition. I can't help but imagine (blasphemous thoughts!) what Universal would do with Star Wars if they had it now.

NoChesterHester

I love Star Wars. LOVE. Favorite series of all time. I've been sitting on a thought for a while and just didn't want to say it though...

If the Star Tour reboot failed to generate any uptick in attendance how does that help justify that a Star Wars Land would generate millions of turnstile clicks?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I love Star Wars. LOVE. Favorite series of all time. I've been sitting on a thought for a while and just didn't want to say it though...

If the Star Tour reboot failed to generate any uptick in attendance how does that help justify that a Star Wars Land would generate millions of turnstile clicks?
The Star Tours 2.0 was basically a refurb of an existing attraction which while good, was not something that most people would get excited for. Opening up a new land with a brand new E-ticket, a couple of D-tickets and the ability to order blue-milk at the Mos Eisley Cantina and the people will show up in droves.

Beholder

If the Star Tour reboot failed to generate any
uptick in attendance how does that help justify
that a Star Wars Land would generate millions of
turnstile clicks?

Maybe people see it as the same ride, just a different film. I wouldn't plan a vacation around that either, but an entire "land" would inspire many to make a special trip to just see this. That's my take on it. The fandom that surrounds Star Wars is like the Trekkies (sorry, Trekkers) that follow Star Trek. It is loyal and devout. And I think SW has a broader fan base than ST.

I get what you're asking, but I believe a dedicated space would pay big dividends.

WDWFREAK53

I'm sure it can't happen but since there are a LOT of people clamoring for a Star Wars themed land...is there a possibility that Disney procrastinating could hurt them in the end?

Can a Star Wars attraction/land be built at Legoland? Star Wars is one of the biggest licenses that Lego has.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm sure it can't happen but since there are a LOT of people clamoring for a Star Wars themed land...is there a possibility that Disney procrastinating could hurt them in the end?

Can a Star Wars attraction/land be built at Legoland? Star Wars is one of the biggest licenses that Lego has.

There was a rumor recently the Legoland Florida would be getting a Star Wars section.

Beholder

A Star Wars section at Legoland cannot compete with what Disney could do with Star Wars. One is a miniature the other is full size.

This is so true. Legoland doesn't have the budget to fully realize an entire SW land. But they'd probably be more willing to spend the money if they had it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom