WDWFREAK53

who cares? I'd rather Disney develop the IP's they already have locked up..

EVERYONE knows that if Starwars is ever TRUELY adapted to the parks (full land, restaurants, rides, shows,full immersion) it would crush Potter like a bug.......

The company holds a major 'trump' card in Starwars.. eventually they will use it.

Once PixarPlace is complete...I see Star Wars/Lucasland coming to fruition.

George Lucas has based his entire career on Star Wars/Indiana Jones and he'll need to reinvent Star Wars for the "next generation" in some way...and when that time comes, Disney will be waiting and ready to pump money into a new redevelopment of DHS.

RSoxNo1

What's the number on capacity of a ride transition? It'd have to be around 5,000 an hour wouldnt it?
I would say that 3000-5000 guests per hour could work, especially if they also want to use it as a means of controlling access into the land.

Gracy_hm

Does anyone remeber the transition from one room to annother used in the Posidens Fury Attraction at IOA? If there was a mean to bring mass numbers of people to Pandora via long range avatar control then all you have to do is have a room which connects them to their Avatars followed by momentary blackness then you "awake" in Pandora thus no need for transportation. This way you are an Avatar there not a human and you could walk feely. A mass transition is the answer I think. Room, fade to black, fade into pandora. Could use some projection mapping stuff they are using in enchanted tales walk through on a larger scae to create more coolness. I know the 3D projection tech they tested after hours on main street about a year and a half ago could really be amazing in a controlled environment but I don't think that is ready quite yet.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone remeber the transition from one room to annother used in the Posidens Fury Attraction at IOA? If there was a mean to bring mass numbers of people to Pandora via long range avatar control then all you have to do is have a room which connects them to their Avatars followed by momentary blackness then you "awake" in Pandora thus no need for transportation. This way you are an Avatar there not a human and you could walk feely. A mass transition is the answer I think. Room, fade to black, fade into pandora. Could use some projection mapping stuff they are using in enchanted tales walk through on a larger scae to create more coolness. I know the 3D projection tech they tested after hours on main street about a year and a half ago could really be amazing in a controlled environment but I don't think that is ready quite yet.
A mass transition could work, they did similar type effects at the D23 expo Carousel of Projects, and if you've seen the Fantasyland video on the site that shall not by named you can see they do it on a smaller scale in Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Slowjack

Half the attractions in Disney Parks are either irrelevant, out of date, or a mixture of the two. Attractions in Universal are sloppy, but they are attractions that incorporate the childhoods of today’s children.
I was on your side until this. Attractions are not better or worse based on the youth or age of their subject material. From viewing a ridethrough of Radiator Springs Racers, for example, I think it looks great, and so does my daughter, but neither of us have seen the film nor care to. It's a great ride because of the story the ride itself contains. Adventures are had from being transported to places in the imagination and the source isn't important. To quote Kingsley Amis:
Relevant subjects or settings or attitudes or theories are not more blessed than the irrelevant sort, and in some fields irrelevance or apparent irrelevance can be a virtue. There is not much to be said for the kind of person who recommends a children's tale or book for its supposed relevance to the child's experience.

Beholder

Perhaps the Avatar/Pandora "land" could be presented as some sort of interplanetary exchange program. A kind of cross-cultural experiment to gain greater understanding between alien "people's". Each area could be broke down into specific study's, such as animal behavior, plant life, unique geographic anomalies (floating mountains), and the N'avi themselves. Each "dome" or pavilion could contain an environment capable of sustaining both Earth and Pandoran life.

As far as HP and Star Wars goes, I'll give the odds on Star Wars. It's a proven franchise that crosses multiple generations and appeals to a large group of people. And not to mention, that as theme parks go, it's potential is untapped.

And I know this really has no bearing on WDW, but another film genre that hasn't seen it's zenith yet is the super hero film. I think we will see a lot more from this limitless source of movie potential.

wdwmyway

I definitely agree that this will lead to extended hours and definitely lends itself to some type of night time show. I heard they've already revealed some effects that seem to be a precursor to what could be coming to Avatar Land.

wdwmyway.webs.com

Pseudonym

I was on your side until this. Attractions are not better or worse based on the youth or age of their subject material. From viewing a ridethrough of Radiator Springs Racers, for example, I think it looks great, and so does my daughter, but neither of us have seen the film nor care to. It's a great ride because of the story the ride itself contains. Adventures are had from being transported to places in the imagination and the source isn't important. To quote Kingsley Amis:

I completely agree, but if I haven't seen Cars, why would I want to travel from New York to California by just assuming that the story throughout the ride is good? I understand that attractions without influence on todays children can be good in some cases but it's not enough for people around the world to flock to the theme park. The Wizarding World IS relevant to so many children and adults on a global level which is why when I went to the park I met so many people from elsewhere around the world; people who traveled halfway across the world just to see the Wizarding World. I don't want anyone to think that I believe a theme park ride that has no relevance to today's children is not a good theme park ride, it just won't make people want to travel there. Disney needs to find the right ingredient that will make people want to travel long distances just to see the new attraction they have to offer, and lately it seems like they are incapable of doing so. Why would someone want to travel to California to see the new Cars Racers if everyone is saying "Oh, it's just like Test Track," because then the tourist will say, "well I've been on Test Track so why travel to California to ride Test Track again?" Universal is focusing on building theme park rides designed off of today's hits, such as Transformers and Harry Potter, so when the kids of today see or hear about this, families will potentially make vacation arrangements just to see such a ride. I think Avatar will make people want to travel just to see it, just not on a global scale like The Wizarding World. Disney is searching for the monumental ride/theme/idea that will give them the better hand once again, and unfortunately I believe they think Avatar Land will suffice. Let's hope i'm wrong..

WDWFREAK53

I completely agree, but if I haven't seen Cars, why would I want to travel from New York to California by just assuming that the story throughout the ride is good?

Well, using that logic, why would you travel to WDW to ride Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Pirates, etc.? If you have never been there, you'd just be assuming that the story throughout the ride is good.

Remember, Avatar didn't do amazing on its opening weekend...but it's the top money-maker. Why? Word of mouth. If Disney builds a great attraction...no matter what the subject...if it's great, the word of mouth will carry and you'll have continuous visitors.

Spider-Man is a great attraction IMO...and it's not because it's Spider-Man...it's because the attraction is great.

On the flipside...you have Dr. Doom...and it's not that great. It's very "off-the-shelf." Both are from comics, both have been around about the same time, both have attractions in the same area of a park...yet one is constantly talked about and the other is basically forgotten. Now, flip the theming. Make the Spider-Man attraction a Dr. Doom or Fantastic Four attraction and turn the Towers into a Spider-man theme, you have a bunch of people talking about how great the Dr. Doom ride is.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Once PixarPlace is complete...I see Star Wars/Lucasland coming to fruition.

George Lucas has based his entire career on Star Wars/Indiana Jones and he'll need to reinvent Star Wars for the "next generation" in some way...and when that time comes, Disney will be waiting and ready to pump money into a new redevelopment of DHS.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any interest on the part of Lucas to bring any more of SW into the parks then there already is. And since he's come out and stated he's retiring (albeit comments he's made before), it doesn't appear he's too concerned about either his legacy or the next generation of SW fans. I think if Disney could have brought more Star Wars into the parks by now, they would have.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any interest on the part of Lucas to bring any more of SW into the parks then there already is. And since he's come out and stated he's retiring (albeit comments he's made before), it doesn't appear he's too concerned about either his legacy or the next generation of SW fans. I think if Disney could have brought more Star Wars into the parks by now, they would have.
While I tend to agree, Disney has never been known for striking while the iron is hot. It is just a fool's hope, but it is hope none the less.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
While I tend to agree, Disney has never been known for striking while the iron is hot. It is just a fool's hope, but it is hope none the less.

No, you're right, there's always hope. I just tend to think that short of actually purchasing the Star Wars rights from Lucas (which would probably make the Marvel deal look like a late-night infomercial purchase), there's not much chance of it coming to fruition....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe the plan is let him retire, let SW be out of sight out of mind for say ten years then they come back and buy the whole thing from him. Retool the whole franchise (rerelease the movies in the hot new format of the day, or completely reboot the franchise) and then bulk up Disney parks with more of the story.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
10 years ago I would curse you for the thought of a star wars reboot. Now, ugh I would love one. Start from 1 keep going.
Star Wars does not need a reboot. You only reboot when there are no more stories to tell. Even if you do not use what has been done in the Expanded Universe through novels and video games there are gaps that span hundreds of years full of untold stories.

ChrisM

Star Wars does not need a reboot. You only reboot when there are no more stories to tell. Even if you do not use what has been done in the Expanded Universe through novels and video games there are gaps that span hundreds of years full of untold stories.

Needs a reboot? No. But the franchise could be very well served by "rebooting" the prequel trilogy with an entirely new story.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Needs a reboot? No. But the franchise could be very well served by "rebooting" the prequel trilogy with an entirely new story.
Like it or not, the prequels are in the books as cannon now. Rebooting them in a Star Trek like fashion is not necessary. You might get away with it after GL is dead, but not before.

Done correctly, the Heir to the Empire trilogy could bury episodes 4-6. There is no need to go backwards.

Bairstow

Or you can reboot when the previous attempt completely ruined things.
So, pretend the prequel trilogy never got made (I already do) and try again fresh.

Not that I'd pay to see it. I reached my fill point on Star Wars back in '03.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom