AndyMagic

After a dozen pages on Star Wars Land (which will never happen) this actually seemed more relevant, but you are right. There is nothing Avatar related to discuss.

The fact that even a passing mention of more Star Wars in the parks sparks such an immediate response of ideas and enthusiasm just proves how ridiculously underutilized the brand is at the park. This coming from someone who really doesn't care for the films (including the original trilogy). It's clear a fully realized land dedicated to Star Wars would be insanely popular and propel attendance at DHS to new levels. It just seems silly that Disney sits on the theme park rights with a simulator and nothing else. I don't blame J.K. Rowling for going to Uni.

NoChesterHester

The fact that even a passing mention of more Star Wars in the parks sparks such an immediate response of ideas and enthusiasm just proves how ridiculously underutilized the brand is at the park. This coming from someone who really doesn't care for the films (including the original trilogy). It's clear a fully realized land dedicated to Star Wars would be insanely popular and propel attendance at DHS to new levels. It just seems silly that Disney sits on the theme park rights with a simulator and nothing else. I don't blame J.K. Rowling for going to Uni.

Sounds like it really isn't Disney's choice. The plaid clad one rules with an iron fist.

misterID

I agree that it never hurts to learn a little about things like conservation especially in a place like AK. The key is not to go over the top and try to guilt people. Make it light and fun rather than doom and gloom. Trick people into learning something.

If you can come up with a light-hearted way to tell people corporations are pumping poison into the air and water, we're losing the rain forests by the day, forcing animals into extinction, ALL because it's making a small majority filthy rich at the expense of the rest of the population, then I'm all ears. Disney is doing a great job in getting the message across, because there isn't a nice way to state it (even though they try) and in reality, it shouldn't be presented in a light-hearted way. And the day Disney doesn't take Sponsor money from an oil company they'll come full circle. EPCOT is supposed to be the antithesis of how this planet is powered today. We should be better as a human race, not apethetic, which is something the Disney message has always stood for. Avatar+Disney = Peanut butter and jelly.

Puns intended, btw.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you can come up with a light-hearted way to tell people corporations are pumping poison into the air and water, we're losing the rain forests by the day, forcing animals into extinction, ALL because it's making a small majority filthy rich at the expense of the rest of the population, then I'm all ears. Disney is doing a great job in getting the message across, because there isn't a nice way to state it (even though they try) and in reality, it shouldn't be presented in a light-hearted way. And the day Disney doesn't take Sponsor money from an oil company they'll come full circle. EPCOT is supposed to be the antithesis of how this planet is powered today. We should be better as a human race, not apethetic, which is something the Disney message has always stood for. Avatar+Disney = Peanut butter and jelly.

Puns intended, btw.

Disney does do a great job at presenting issues in a way children can understand and appreciate. They have their friends for change thing on Disney channel using their teenage stars to promote issues. The same goes for the parks. You just can't get in people's face when they are on vacation. It has to be subtle and tactful.

On the energy issue you hit a great point. Disney has the opportunity to showcase new energy technology in a place like EPCOT. I know they have solar panels on the roof of Universe of Energy, but they could and should do more. Disney has so many buildings and parking lots that all could be fitted with solar panels that would reduce their energy costs long term and produce no harmful emissions. The main reason they probably don't do more with solar is that FL is not a place where solar power can compete with traditional power on cost. CA is one of those states so I wouldn't be surprised to see more solar at DL. Many NFL teams recently announced new solar panels on their stadiums including the Redskins, Eagles, Jets/Giants and Pats. The teams are making a public commitment to solar power to show people that it is viable and necessary for our future. Arizona State University is combining rooftop solar with panels on covered parking spots. Wouldn't you like to have a covered parking spot at MK so your car isnt 110 degrees when you get back to it in August.

Here are some press clippings:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...els-at-fedex/2011/07/12/gIQAiofZBI_story.html
http://www.patriot-place.com/article.aspx?id=6092
http://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...wered-sundays-solar-comes-to-the-nfl-11950423
http://www.philly.com/philly/health...with_solar-power_giant_at_Phila__stadium.html
https://asunews.asu.edu/20120213_ASU_solar

Pixiedustmaker

I know they have solar panels on the roof of Universe of Energy, but they could and should do more. Disney has so many buildings and parking lots that all could be fitted with solar panels that would reduce their energy costs long term and produce no harmful emissions. The main reason they probably don't do more with solar is that FL is not a place where solar power can compete with traditional power on cost. CA is one of those states so I wouldn't be surprised to see more solar at DL. Many NFL teams recently announced new solar panels on their stadiums including the Redskins, Eagles, Jets/Giants and Pats. The teams are making a public commitment to solar power to show people that it is viable and necessary for our future. Arizona State University is combining rooftop solar with panels on covered parking spots. Wouldn't you like to have a covered parking spot at MK so your car isnt 110 degrees when you get back to it in August.

Great post. Years ago I wondered why Epcot didn't have more solar panels on top of roofs, I think the answer is that solar panel prices are dropping, and I think some folks are waiting for the price to go down even more. But I think we're getting close to where solar power is coming close to equalling other traditional sources of power in terms of cost per watt. Eventually, Disney will add solar panels everywhere, IMHO, but it will do it to save money, rather than as a big statement.

I don't think they will ever add covered parking to the surface lots as this just makes it easier for pickpocketers and folks who want to break into cars. An open parking lot is safer, IMHO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great post. Years ago I wondered why Epcot didn't have more solar panels on top of roofs, I think the answer is that solar panel prices are dropping, and I think some folks are waiting for the price to go down even more. But I think we're getting close to where solar power is coming close to equalling other traditional sources of power in terms of cost per watt. Eventually, Disney will add solar panels everywhere, IMHO, but it will do it to save money, rather than as a big statement.

I don't think they will ever add covered parking to the surface lots as this just makes it easier for pickpocketers and folks who want to break into cars. An open parking lot is safer, IMHO.

You are dead on. The states where all these NFL teams are happen to have some of the highest rates in the country. Solar is more competitive there. They are also deregulated markets so a vendor can install solar without dealing with the local regulated utility. CA is one of the highest priced states for electricity and they have an aggressive renewable energy policy that will require 33% of the power used in the state to come from renewable sources by 2020. They also have a carbon credit trading system that is supposed to start next year that will make renewables more attractive. That is why I think DL may end up converting to more solar before WDW.

As far as parking, here are some pictures of what the parking at FedEx field looks like. It's not totally enclosed. More like large car ports. AZ State is doing something similar. Imagine all of the advertising you could sell for these...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...green-stadiums-solar-panels_40280_600x450.jpg

Beholder

Come on Disney, throw us a bone! Something, anything Avatar/Pandora. Art work, a quote from WDI or James Cameron, even a "leaked" bit of info would be nice. This thread is for specifics, but at this point, any general piece of info would give me something to speculate on.

FigmentJedi

Good news everyone! Apparently the project is indeed going the way of Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers and will die in the concept phases!

http://www..com/2012/09/04/avatar-project-for-animal-kingdom-officially-delayed-indefinitely/

HM GhostHostess

Good news everyone! Apparently the project is indeed going the way of Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers and will die in the concept phases!

http://www..com/2012/09/04/avatar-project-for-animal-kingdom-officially-delayed-indefinitely/

Hallelujah! Finally, some good news for a change.

HenryMystic

Before everyone gets too excited, the article says nothing more than has been alleged here for months. I want nothing more than for it to be true, but no one is saying its cancelled or on hold indefinitely. It just says there are delays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom