Beholder

This isn't the armchair imagineering forum, but this is something I've long thought about.

If they want a big immersive mind blowing land, but are missing the franchise tie in that they
crave perhaps they need to go the opposite
route. Go with an original area themed to a
super popular genre.

Instead of Avatar or whatever, what if the big
expansion was a "Mysterious Island" or "Land that
TiMe Forgot" type land where Dinos and other
mythical animals inhabited in present day. Big
insane structures, heavily themed environment,
cool rides, great unique merchandise, and NO
licensing fee. Oh the possibilities.

A "Lost World" could've been one if the incredible areas of ANY theme park. And as you
said, merchandise possiblities would be endless.

tirian

If it were a school setting then I would agree... we are talking about entertainment.
The yeti's prehistoric ancestor should attack the Time Rover, sending us backwards to the dawn of time, where we blast into an alternate future in which dinosaurs became the master race and people are tiny mammalian pets as a shout-out to "Fantastic Planet." Aunt Jemima Dinosaur (pancake-o-saurus) will threaten us with an enormous vat of corn syrup, and the Time Rover gets us out in the knick of time.

Purchase your in-ride photos and custom pancakes in the gift shop. The pancakes are not part of the DDP.

Beholder

If it were a school setting then I would agree... we are talking about entertainment.

Dinosaurs have often appeared in literature, both science based and fiction. To me, that's one of the great things about prehistoric animal life, liberties can be taken with some of the "unknowns" of their behavior. Smilodons, Velociraptors, Kronosaurs, they all have an element of hypothetical behavioral aspects.

And they look really cool juxtaposed against anachronisms. Modern man, technology, "time machines", and the possible scenarios they bring. It's just that an entire realm of attraction possibilities have been left on the shelf, and it's disappointing.

Fractal514

I guess I'm saying the approach I'd like to see towards the Dinosaurs is one based in science, even if it's science fiction. Dinosaurs existed, the Pegasus did not. Therefore having a land where dinosaurs mix with mythical creatures wouldn't feel right, to me at least. Does that make sense?

Beholder

I guess I'm saying the approach I'd like to see towards the Dinosaurs is one based in science, even if it's science fiction. Dinosaurs existed, the Pegasus did not. Therefore having a land where dinosaurs mix with mythical creatures wouldn't feel right, to me at least.
Does that make sense?

I understand, and I agree. I wasn't suggesting mixing mythology with real (even though extinct) animals. I just happen to believe the powers that be have a VERY underdeveloped area as far as the dinosaurs are concerned. Built to it's greatest potential, it would be an amazing "land", perhaps eliminating need for Avatar/Pandora. Mythological/fantasy based creatures should exist in a entirely different area.

WDWFREAK53

To be honest, I think they handled Dinoland USA perfectly (aside from the addition of DinoRama). If you make it a land where dinosaurs are walking around...it's not much different than Jurassic Park at IoA. Making it an archeological digsite, you have a completely different story, but involving the same "subject matter."

The Time Rover idea works great and makes sense because a large archeological digsite shows that dinosaurs actually existed in that location. I'd like to see DinoRama tossed out and the Excavator coaster put in. In between the Excavator and Dinosaur, they could build an attraction similar to Mystic Manor where the head archeologist and "collector" bought land and built a place to house his "collection" of ancient artifacts and prehistoric findings.

His collection will come alive and interact with the ride vehicles.

I'd also remove the Finding Nemo theater, build Australia over in the open lot near Asia and it would fit in better.(Nemo...Sydney...DUH!)

RSoxNo1

To be honest, I think they handled Dinoland USA perfectly (aside from the addition of DinoRama). If you make it a land where dinosaurs are walking around...it's not much different than Jurassic Park at IoA. Making it an archeological digsite, you have a completely different story, but involving the same "subject matter."

The Time Rover idea works great and makes sense because a large archeological digsite shows that dinosaurs actually existed in that location. I'd like to see DinoRama tossed out and the Excavator coaster put in. In between the Excavator and Dinosaur, they could build an attraction similar to Mystic Manor where the head archeologist and "collector" bought land and built a place to house his "collection" of ancient artifacts and prehistoric findings.

His collection will come alive and interact with the ride vehicles.

I'd also remove the Finding Nemo theater, build Australia over in the open lot near Asia and it would fit in better.(Nemo...Sydney...DUH!)
The acheological dig site could have been extended with the Excavator as well. To think, that if The Excavator was built they probably would have built something else instead of Everest and then we'd either be complaining about something in that not working or still clamoring for Beastly Kingdom.

Bairstow

I don't see the plants as being viable for a theme park experience due to their inherent fragility.
The technology would make a lot more sense as some sort of consumer good.

SPMTCP2003

I assume these are some of the plants that will be in Pandora: http://dvice.com/archives/2012/08/botanicus-inter.php

Pretty cool! But a bit of a disconnect for me that the plants themselves don't luminesce. There have already been incredible developments in the plant-hybrid world to create luminescent plants beyond fungi: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40418496/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/#.UC5deLM7W0s
Only question I guess would be "is this safe for people to touch (or possibly consume), as I can't see them being in the parks if they aren't completely safe. Probably the best bet is that they will use some type of fiber optics. Just safer and more reliable.

twebber55

Pretty cool! But a bit of a disconnect for me that the plants themselves don't luminesce. There have already been incredible developments in the plant-hybrid world to create luminescent plants beyond fungi: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40418496/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/#.UC5deLM7W0s
Only question I guess would be "is this safe for people to touch (or possibly consume), as I can't see them being in the parks if they aren't completely safe. Probably the best bet is that they will use some type of fiber optics. Just safer and more reliable.
agree on the fiber optics...i think this is the way they will go

WDWFREAK53

Here's a question...

Will people/guests/fans be okay with absolutely zero transition from the rest of Animal Kingdom into Pandora? Meaning, when you walk into the Pandora section of the park, will you be ok with just walking down a path and having it go from the flora of DAK to the flora of Pandora...or do you need some explanation of transportation from "Earth" to "Pandora?"

If you do need some sort of "transport" transition, would you be ok with something as simple as the Hydrolators?
Maybe walk into a "pre-show" area that makes you feel as if you're traveling through space without actually boarding ride vehicles. IMO the "land" doesn't need to be all indoors. If you walk into a military-like building (which could be a simple room with the "tranport"...and then as you exit on Pandora, it could just be an all-open land (aside from the attraction buildings). IMO one of the greatest things about DAK is that you are actually out in environment and not in some stuffy building with recirculated air. I think I'll be a little disappointed if it's all indoors...although I do understand why they would.

Me, personally, am ok with zero "transport" transition as long as the transition from the "Earth" environment is subtle to the "Pandora" environment.

NoChesterHester

Here's a question...

Will people/guests/fans be okay with absolutely zero transition from the rest of Animal Kingdom into Pandora? Meaning, when you walk into the Pandora section of the park, will you be ok with just walking down a path and having it go from the flora of DAK to the flora of Pandora...or do you need some explanation of transportation from "Earth" to "Pandora?"

If you do need some sort of "transport" transition, would you be ok with something as simple as the Hydrolators?
Maybe walk into a "pre-show" area that makes you feel as if you're traveling through space without actually boarding ride vehicles. IMO the "land" doesn't need to be all indoors. If you walk into a military-like building (which could be a simple room with the "tranport"...and then as you exit on Pandora, it could just be an all-open land (aside from the attraction buildings). IMO one of the greatest things about DAK is that you are actually out in environment and not in some stuffy building with recirculated air. I think I'll be a little disappointed if it's all indoors...although I do understand why they would.

Me, personally, am ok with zero "transport" transition as long as the transition from the "Earth" environment is subtle to the "Pandora" environment.

Transportation to enter a land is a potential bottleneck. I'm definitely not fine with zero transition, but I doubt that will be the case. They will come up with something.

Bairstow

Bottlenecks can be good thing, and even necessary to prevent over-congestion in certain parts of the park.

Depending on the size of the expansion, I'm envisioning the use of some sort of spaceship transport attraction to "take" people to the Pandora area afterwards, not unlike Wild Arctic at Sea World.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Arctic

GrumpyFan

The Pandora story (in its current state) presents several issues for me that I've written about on my blog including this one. However, I did come up with a potential solution to it where this facility at DAK would be an earth-based laboratory/training center that would be used to test, train and prepare employees who are destined for Pandora. The facility would feature a lot of the plants and animals in a simulated environment and of course feature a couple of attractions that would help further our understanding of the world of Pandora without actually going there. In order to do this though, the story-line would essentially have to be re-wound in time as if the events (war) that took place at the end of the movie never happened, or they could leave the time line in tact and make it such that this is a training facility designed to help us resolve the conflict with the N'avi in an effort to try and return at some point. If they went with something like this, they could easily plop down a large building with some theming on the front/outside of it that would be official but ornate looking then give it a name like "Augustine Pandora Training Center" named after Dr Grace Augustine, who died in the movie and was instrumental in trying to build our (peaceful) relationship with the N'avi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom