danlb_2000

Premium Member
Found this on the permits site this morning, just poking around:

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagl....pdf?id=DOC1003S36300.A0&parent=DOC1003S36300

I don't know the area well enough, but is this related, perhaps, to the relocation of the Festival of the Lion King?

EDIT: looked a little more closely...says it's for 'construction' and is being done by 'Vanson Enterprises'. The first is vague, and since I'm new to all of this, I can only see from their website that Vanson has done other work for Disney. Hopefully, good signs...

I agree with HorizonsFan this doesn't appear to be Avatar related. Vanson has done a lot of work for Disney recently on queue modifications, probably for accessibility, might be something like that.

There are permits for Animal Kingdom on a pretty regular basis, but I haven't seen anything that I could connect to Avatar. As a matter of fact there have been at least two permits recently for work on FoLK which could indicate that there are not plans to move it anytime soon. If I see anything that might be related to Avatar I will bring it to everyone's attention.

Tom

Beta Return
"Construction Starting" must have a pretty loose definition by some.

Big honking trucks moving earth will be the first real phase of construction. We will all know when that happens.

Pre development is far more likely. Surveys, sight balloons, geotechnical reports, soil borings, phase one enviornmentals, concept layout verifications, storm water concepts...

Yup, this is pretty much dead on. Construction has not started in the slightest. If they're flying balloons, that means they merely have blue sky conceptual designs in the works.

If they're doing ANYTHING physical on site, it would be the things NoChesterHester cited, like surveying, mapping, soil borings, soil testing and determining how to get through the Florida drainage board (which is where we'll likely first see anything official - when they have to file the obligatory plans with the state water nazis).

Beholder

SpeakIng specifically to the issue if type of attractions that could possibly show up at AK, I have to think that total immersion is the key. The suspension of disbelief should be as complete as possible, we are talking an alien world.

I'd love to see the terrain of Pandora recreated in every detail, from meandering pathways to the rock work/plant life integrated into the gift shops. I'd love to see game changing AA's replicating the animal life. And I'd really love to see innovative ride systems showcasing some of the more exhilarating moments from the movie.

Aside from what we know (from the movie) I'm curious to see what we'll get from the sequels. New environments, new plant life, and new animals. Perhaps even a new race of "humanoid".

Please create unique and interesting merchandise to go along with this "land". Things people want, not cheap junk that'll end up collecting dust.

And above all else, leave the budget (provided it's good) alone!

MarkTwain

BlueSkyDisney has some insider information to share on what may be included in Avatar land.

Highlights:
- land will be 10-12 acres, thus rivaling Cars Land in size
- land title will include "Pandora", but will likely be something longer like "Pandora: World of Avatar"
- at least 3 attractions, one of which is an adaptation of Soarin' technology (matches up with what we've heard from insiders here)
- land won't necessarily include content from future Avatar movies, but may incorporate sequels in future phases (!)

Read it all here

FrankLapidus

Personally, I'm far more excited about that litte snippet at the end that says that the Imagineers still hope to bring Beastly Kingdom to AK in some form within the next decade. There is nothing that could convince me that Avatar is a good fit for WDW but hopefully it is the successful spectacle that fans of the idea think it could be.

grandmath

Adaptation of Soarin technology... mmm that's scary. Let's hope WDI can truly innovate with Avatar, as in "super high tech dark ride" or any other form of ride system that is NOT a flight simulator, or at least an extension of what already exists at the Resort. Soarin is great... but Soarin over Pandora would be a shame, even if more highly themed.

AndyMagic

If the major E-ticket for Pandora is a variation on the Soarin' ride system then that will truly be a shame. After Forbidden Journey and Gringotts they answer with Soarin' Over Pandora? Seriously?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If the major E-ticket for Pandora is a variation on the Soarin' ride system then that will truly be a shame. After Forbidden Journey and Gringotts they answer with Soarin' Over Pandora? Seriously?
Let us not forget that a Ferrari Enzo is a variant of the Model T. What they could do with the Soarin technology might be completely mind blowing, it might also be a dud. Either way, I'll wait until I see the final result be fore I pass judgement.

neoshinok

It won't be Soarin' Over Pandora. More like Turtle Trek on steroids. Instead of just a dome, think of a smallish ride vehicle inserted into a sphere. And of course 3D.
Let us not forget that a Ferrari Enzo is a variant of the Model T. What they could do with the Soarin technology might be completely mind blowing, it might also be a dud. Either way, I'll wait until I see the final result be fore I pass judgement.

This is what I'm thinking as far as taking it to the next level. The way the Soarin' vehicle 'lifts off' there's no reason they couldn't extend the screens completely above and below you, as well as to the sides, so virtually anywhere you look there's something going on. That, accompanied by a vehicle with wider range of movement, would make it a huge leap beyond Soarin'. And maybe even the most nauseating ride of all time:confused: Also, with talk of another ride design featuring a Pony Express/Forbidden Journey type hybrid, they could have a serious one two punch of attractions.

AndyMagic

The issue is that I'm worried it will still be an upgraded simulator and not a dark ride. I don't mind simulated elements and screen usage so long as the ride vehicle moves through an environment and there is integration with physical sets but if it is just going to be a hanging bench that shakes in a huge projected dome then I'm not interested.

Beholder

Regardless of the ride tech or whatever attraction innovation they do/don't come up with, the HP comparisons are inevitable. On that alone, I really hope TDO/Burbank/whoever allows this to be an amazing experience. Even though Avatar/Pandora is an odd choice perhaps for WDW, I'm excited at the prospect of any new technology or attraction approach we may see. New AA's, new interactive possibilities, different spins on ride systems, or completely new ride systems.

I like to try and remain positive (not blindly), so I'm hoping this could be the change/new direction some of us have been waiting for. AK, DHS and EPCOT need attention. Let's hope this is the start of a new era. A positive era.

JCtheparrothead

This is what I'm thinking as far as taking it to the next level. The way the Soarin' vehicle 'lifts off' there's no reason they couldn't extend the screens completely above and below you, as well as to the sides, so virtually anywhere you look there's something going on. That, accompanied by a vehicle with wider range of movement, would make it a huge leap beyond Soarin'. And maybe even the most nauseating ride of all time:confused: Also, with talk of another ride design featuring a Pony Express/Forbidden Journey type hybrid, they could have a serious one two punch of attractions.

This is starting to sounds like the patent that was put up on the boards here a few months ago. It was a cable driven box with places for the passengers to sit inside. I could see this being just what is described by Neo and you would be riding a transport taking you to the base on Pandora. It sounded from the patent that this technology was able to recreate drops and quick acceleration of height to simulate flight. I am sure someone has it on this board but I am in if this the final product.

Beholder

Something else I'd like to see, a classic dark ride. Maybe with innovative scenes (Horizons?) and sophisticated AA's and a decent travel time. I'm a bit old school in this, but I love dark rides.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This is starting to sounds like the patent that was put up on the boards here a few months ago. It was a cable driven box with places for the passengers to sit inside. I could see this being just what is described by Neo and you would be riding a transport taking you to the base on Pandora. It sounded from the patent that this technology was able to recreate drops and quick acceleration of height to simulate flight. I am sure someone has it on this board but I am in if this the final product.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ion-for-true-flight-simulator-vehicle.829729/

:)

RSoxNo1

BlueSkyDisney has some insider information to share on what may be included in Avatar land.

Highlights:
- land will be 10-12 acres, thus rivaling Cars Land in size
- land title will include "Pandora", but will likely be something longer like "Pandora: World of Avatar"
- at least 3 attractions, one of which is an adaptation of Soarin' technology (matches up with what we've heard from insiders here)
- land won't necessarily include content from future Avatar movies, but may incorporate sequels in future phases (!)

Read it all here
How is it that news from a relatively well trusted source is being glossed over on here? I understand that there's not a lot of substance here, but considering there has been virtually no new information since last September, this surprises me.

The report I heard a while ago from an unconfirmed source was a roller coaster type attraction and a simulator. Assuming that the most simplified versions of 2 of the 3 attractions are explained, I'm curious as to what the third attraction would be. I'm guessing that it won't be a ride, but would certainly welcome a family ride without a height requirement.

fractal

How is it that news from a relatively well trusted source is being glossed over on here? I understand that there's not a lot of substance here, but considering there has been virtually no new information since last September, this surprises me.

The report I heard a while ago from an unconfirmed source was a roller coaster type attraction and a simulator. Assuming that the most simplified versions of 2 of the 3 attractions are explained, I'm curious as to what the third attraction would be. I'm guessing that it won't be a ride, but would certainly welcome a family ride without a height requirement.

I'm excited. With internal competition from DL and DCA and external competition from Uni/Potter I think there is a very good chance TDO knocks this one out of the park.

Beholder

I'm excited. With internal competition from DL and DCA and external competition from Uni/Potter I think there is a very good chance TDO knocks this one out of the park.

I feel your enthusiasm. It's hard not to get excited with all of this rumbling going on. I'm hoping for a home run myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom