AVATAR land construction progress

The Empress Lilly

I really think the hate for Dinoland is that clearly even most fanbois don't "get" it. There is a bigger message with Chester and Hester that ties in perfectly with the message of Animal Kingdom. As does the messaging in Avatar. It's about how do we and how have we not, lived in symbiosis with the natural world. Simply building "Dinosaur" attractions will not deliver this message as Dinoland could and should send to people. You aren't SUPPOSED to like it, you are supposed to feel a little icky about it, but that's our society.
B...but why would I want to visit an amusement park that makes me feel icky?

NoChesterHester

I really think the hate for Dinoland is that clearly even most fanbois don't "get" it. There is a bigger message with Chester and Hester that ties in perfectly with the message of Animal Kingdom. As does the messaging in Avatar. It's about how do we and how have we not, lived in symbiosis with the natural world. Simply building "Dinosaur" attractions will not deliver this message as Dinoland could and should send to people. You aren't SUPPOSED to like it, you are supposed to feel a little icky about it, but that's our society.

So because they manufactured a backstory that fits into a terrible tacky theme I'm supposed to be okay with it?

ctxak98

When it was just the gift shop, it was the perfect level of "tongue-in-cheek tourist-trap tacky" that off-set the rest of the land. When they expanded it to add Dinorama, that's when it went too far.

-Rob
Agreed!!! Back in the day when Chester and Hesters, was just a SHOP! it was much more believable! The whole carnival is just dumb!

Buck

LOL. The funniest part is you actually believe what you just typed.

WDWDad13

I think it looks tacky too... but Universal recently put carnival games around the simpsons area too...so I guess it works for some

MKCP 1985

Selling backstory to make up for tacky attractions is really bad. What is worse is well meaning Disney fans among us falling for it and trying to convince us to fall for it, too. I hope you guys are at least getting some comps for your trouble. Seriously, Dinoland is awful and has always been awful and no amount of "theming" can change that.

Along those same lines, I'm sure you all saw the Disney Parks blog selling the theming in the Snow White Mine Train to get everyone all excited. "The lantern is so lifelike!" "The etching on the door hinges is phenomenal." I hope and hope the unique back and forth swaying of the mine train cars makes this more than just a cute little ride . . . with great theming.

Rob562

Selling backstory to make up for tacky attractions is really bad. What is worse is well meaning Disney fans among us falling for it and trying to convince us to fall for it, too. I hope you guys are at least getting some comps for your trouble. Seriously, Dinoland is awful and has always been awful and no amount of "theming" can change that.

Along those same lines, I'm sure you all saw the Disney Parks blog selling the theming in the Snow White Mine Train to get everyone all excited. "The lantern is so lifelike!" "The etching on the door hinges is phenomenal." I hope and hope the unique back and forth swaying of the mine train cars makes this more than just a cute little ride . . . with great theming.

I agree with you entirely except your line should read "Seriously, Dinorama is awful and has always been awful and no amount of "theming" can change that."

Dinoland when it first opened was awesome, with one of the most complete, coherent and fully-realized backstories ever. It all made sense and it all worked together. If you haven't seen it, seek out the bulletin board across from the entrance to the Boneyard playground. It has a map of the land as it originally existed, and a lot of awesome details that bring everything together.

But then they added Dinorama and it brought the entire land down with it... And while I admit that the Imagineers did an incredible job getting Dinorama to look authentic to the backstory (cracked and faded parking lot and all), it was a horrible choice of a backstory to be given to work with...

I often think of the quote by someone from WDI (and I can never remember if it was Joe Rohde or Marty Sklar) in reference to Dinorama: "This could all be gone in a week..." ;)

-Rob

Last edited:

ctxak98

I really do think Dinoland needs the most help at Animal Kingdom! Dinosaur is a great ride it just needs some tlc but the rest.....it's just crap!

That roller coaster is the same ride at all the six flags locations and the spinner is exactly another dumbo! Dinosaurs are cool and they need to take them more seriously! I think dinosaur does a good job of making you feel like your back in time with real dinosaurs! Why can't the rest of the land be believable!?

I think it needs to turn into a working dinosaur dig site or something and bring in the excavator! I don't know what but more then just what's there now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom