AVATAR land construction progress

Prototype82

Do you guys think that the "E ticket" attraction in Avatar Land will be able to compete with Harry Potter?
I will say that comparing the two is comparing apples to oranges. But I'm expecting a lot. This move was clearly done to compete with Harry. If this is the jarring, 3D version of Soarin' that we're assuming it will be, I will say no. But I think it's going to feel like nothing Disney has done before. The land won't be able to trump the scale of all of the Wizarding World but if they're building the immersive and interactive land that they claim they're building, it might be as or more impressive as the Hogsmeade experience. Just my two cents.

Pumbaa1222

I think the "tragedy" of Dinoland USA is that it could be so much more. People love dinosaurs, Americans on the whole are fascinated with them, and this land could be a real people eater. Yes, Dinosaur is a good ride (with upkeep issues) but other than that, we skip this land entirely when we're at DAK. I think once Avatar is built it will allow for changes to be made here. Really, you could make Dinoland a grade A experience if all of Chester and Hester is torn down and replaced with a solid darkride on the history of Dinosaurs in various eras, along with a revitalization of the "Excavator coaster." The entire land could be themed to the Dinosaur Insitute, which was built near a prominent excavation site, it really wouldn't be hard. And you wouldn't need an elaborate backstory (that most guests don't know) in order to justify it.

I really think the hate for Dinoland is that clearly even most fanbois don't "get" it. There is a bigger message with Chester and Hester that ties in perfectly with the message of Animal Kingdom. As does the messaging in Avatar. It's about how do we and how have we not, lived in symbiosis with the natural world. Simply building "Dinosaur" attractions will not deliver this message as Dinoland could and should send to people. You aren't SUPPOSED to like it, you are supposed to feel a little icky about it, but that's our society.

CrescentLake

I really think the hate for Dinoland is that clearly even most fanbois don't "get" it. There is a bigger message with Chester and Hester that ties in perfectly with the message of Animal Kingdom. As does the messaging in Avatar. It's about how do we and how have we not, lived in symbiosis with the natural world. Simply building "Dinosaur" attractions will not deliver this message as Dinoland could and should send to people. You aren't SUPPOSED to like it, you are supposed to feel a little icky about it, but that's our society.

No, I think most fanbois do get it, they just reject that notion. Not supposed to like it? Come on, thats ridiculous and an absolutely massive copout. Chester and Hester absolutely does not convey anything about Animal Kingdom's message, short of a lengthy backstory about how people wanted to make a buck off the Dino Insitute, so they built a cheap carnival addition next to it.

If you really wanted to create something to fit the theme of AK, the rides I suggested would suffice. Remembring animals of the past, how Earth used to be is not only fascinating, it provides us insight into how wonderful, complex, and still unknown the animal kingdom and natural world is. Thats AK in a nutshell, not cheap carnival attractions. Your "bigger message" does not exist, at least not the way you are attempting to (very vaguely, I might add) describe it.

As far as Avatar, its not even in the same league as Chester and Hester. Avatar fits in with the conservation element of the park, and loosely the animals that never were aspect of it. Regardless, all we know about Avatar indicates that it will be immersive and themed well- the same cannot be said about C + H.

Steel City Magic

sorry new to this and every thread ive read about this stuff always seems to go off on a tangent. I love seeing new construction and I refresh a few of these threads a handful of times a day hoping to get another tid bit of info or a new pic only usually to see some random stuff lol. I realized how bad my post sounded and took it down

Soarin' Over Pgh

Welcome, pittsburgher!

I'm big on updates as well but this is a very slow moving construction process...aaaaand the construction I don't think has even started yet.

Have you seen the artwork posted on other threads in relation to this project? If not, I highly recommend checking it out in full detail. It's at least something worth chewing on.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
sorry new to this and every thread ive read about this stuff always seems to go off on a tangent. I love seeing new construction and I refresh a few of these threads a handful of times a day hoping to get another tid bit of info or a new pic only usually to see some random stuff lol. I realized how bad my post sounded and took it down

Unfortunately with where the Avatar expansion is going it may be hard to get construction updates, especially photo updates. On the plus side there is a member of the forum who does aerial photography so we will occasionally get photos of the area from him.

Steel City Magic

Unfortunately with where the Avatar expansion is going it may be hard to get construction updates, especially photo updates. On the plus side there is a member of the forum who does aerial photography so we will occasionally get photos of the area from him.

To be honest it was the aerial thread and disney springs thread that made me finally jump in and sign up. Been eyeing these threads a while now lol

Scuttle

I'm going to try and get us updates every month or two. I just don't think it's worth going up for another few months as I don't think they've really done much.
I actually can't fly anyway until my doctor signs off on my lasik procedure.

flyerjab

Technically mind boggling as Gringotts? No.
As immersive? No.
Word of mouth? No.

Technically mind boggling as Gringotts? Can't tell as the projects as they exist are so far apart in their respective timelines - one is still on paper and the other clearly is not.
As immersive? Comparing the individual rides, Gringotts will win. The entire land, I think Pandora will be as good or better. I still think Disney wins with being immersed in a ride and/or land.
Word of mouth? Obviously Gringotts. It is based off of one of the most beloved fantasy stories (on paper) since the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

When Pandora is finished, however, I still think that it has a chance to be both a mind blowing and visually stunning land. The sad part is that the FAIL here squarely lies with WDW. They settled for Avatar, when they could have conquered with Potter.

flyerjab

Going from what I know about both.

Oh I know. Believe me, I've been posting on here only 6 months (and have been laying low on here for over 2 years ;)) but I know who is in the "know" so to speak. I was just throwing my 2 cents in the ring for what its worth. :)

We will be in Uni in late July this summer and very much hoping that Diagon Alley is in fully swing as I cannot wait to walk the streets of London.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom