AVATAR land construction progress

DManRightHere

I like dini land the way it is and I like the rat maze coaster thing. If it were more lusch foliage with trail type style it would be more similar to jurrassic park and we know disney doesn't want that confusion. Side note...just discovered the caves and rope bridges in IOA last year, friggin awesome!

Getting back on track. I thought I saw someone say vertical construction has began but I can't find the thread/post. Are there any photos?

roj2323

By compete I mean be as good as Harry Potter.

They have no chance of making that happen. There simply is not enough content to make the land as immersive.

Part of the reason Wizarding World works so well is because there are 7 books of details to work from and this is on top of 8 movies which filled in some additional visual and plot gaps making for a fully realized world. With Avatar on the other hand all we have is a movie with great visuals and an ok plot. I want to like Avatarland and I think it will be great but it will in no way reach the level of Wizarding World.

If Disney wants to top Wizarding World and DIagon Alley they are going to have to do it with StarWars.

NoChesterHester

By compete I mean be as good as Harry Potter.

I believe Avatar has every chance to be every bit as immersive and possibly even more visually impressive than the WWOHP. It has the potential to be something unlike we have ever seen in a theme park once the sun sets.

Flight of Passage could definitely be a groundbreaking attraction, especially with 3D UHD video and a simulator with enhanced movement. I think that the boat ride should be better than IOA's Potter rethemed attraction offerings. BUT, as @roj2323 stated, the issue is that Avatar has in competing with the excellence of Potter is an uphill battle against an almost universally beloved source material. Much of the Wizarding World's charm is in the transportation to a world that people are utterly in love with. Pandora will not have that upon opening, but that doesn't mean it won't be executed well.

I don't see anything thus far to make me believe that WDI's Pandora will compare favorably to Diagon Alley.

Last edited:

Beholder

Harry Potter enjoys a well detailed and a deeply thought out mythology with detail upon detail. Avatar simply does not have the wealth or depth of creation that HP does. On top of that, HP enjoys a devoted fan base that will benefit from generational passage, much like Star Wars or Star Trek. BUT, on a more visual and thematic level, I do believe Pandora could be just as amazing. Will it? Who knows, but I'm pulling for WDI to impress. It could happen...

Soarin' Over Pgh

Harry Potter enjoys a well detailed and a deeply thought out mythology with detail upon detail. Avatar simply does not have the wealth or depth of creation that HP does. On top of that, HP enjoys a devoted fan base that will benefit from generational passage, much like Star Wars or Star Trek. BUT, on a more visual and thematic level, I do believe Pandora could be just as amazing. Will it? Who knows, but I'm pulling for WDI to impress. It could happen...

That's the most gentle way I've heard Avatar described.

I'm hoping you're right.

Fox&Hound

my two cents....sit down you may want a glass of water.

I do not mind the carnival style of chester and hesters however continuing the theme "the original theme" of dinosaur would be great...more realistic research/science area..would have been much better than chester and hester.

on a side note i hope Pandora is less godly hot than the rest of DAK they need more cooling areas and or indoor areas. In the form of eateries,shops,rides waiting in like for river adventure felt like a prison march.

I'm hoping that when the pixar movie "The Good Dinosaur" comes out that Chester and Hester's can be removed and redone. Give us a fun restaurant over there like "T-Rex" in downtown DIsney and add some kind of volcano ride/coaster. Add more info on dinosaurs and use the space better. I like Nemo but I'm not even sure why that show is over there since it doesn't really fit. All in all I don't find there to be much that is appealing over there, besides the Dinosaur time rover ride. And the spinner with the triceratops?!?! Seriously? At least Dumbo makes sense. Why is a triceratops flying around? At least make it a freakin' pterodactyl!!!!!!! Sorry, but that's just lazy...

twebber55

Pandora will be Pandora and Potter will be Potter. They each have their niche, and will be enjoyable. I wish we could just accept that they both exist in harmony instead of constantly comparing them to each other.
yep couldnt of said it better
They are both different in their own ways.... i love WWOHP and im sure ill love DA but Pandora will be a different experience...the emmersiveness of the land will be based on the amount of coin put into the project..which one i like better is based purely on opinion

novawildcat18

Pandora will be Pandora and Potter will be Potter. They each have their niche, and will be enjoyable. I wish we could just accept that they both exist in harmony instead of constantly comparing them to each other.
I think we have to compare them to each other for two main reasons:

1) The main reason why Disney pulled the trigger on acquiring these rights in the first place because they needed a "Potter-swatter" or something that could prove to be just as popular as a franchise. They were upset they lost out on the rights to Potter so they tried to redeem themselves.

2) Full immersion and fully themed environments is the new standard for theme park lands, and that all started with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. All theme park developments from here on out will most likely be compared to this new standard.

Figment2005

1) The main reason why Disney pulled the trigger on acquiring these rights in the first place because they needed a "Potter-swatter" or something that could prove to be just as popular as a franchise. They were upset they lost out on the rights to Potter so they tried to redeem themselves.

2) Full immersion and fully themed environments is the new standard for theme park lands, and that all started with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. All theme park developments from here on out will most likely be compared to this new standard.
I still don't believe that Pandora was strictly a response. Yes it was spontaneous and unexpected but we have no proof. Also, I still feel comparing the two only leads to derailed posts and un-needed controversy.

twebber55

i agree and you can throw in Cars Land as well to those
WWOHP
Cars Land
Pandora
will all be compared to one another
The first two have a major E ticket, an emmersive land, and are unique
will Pandora do the same

CrescentLake

I'm hoping that when the pixar movie "The Good Dinosaur" comes out that Chester and Hester's can be removed and redone. Give us a fun restaurant over there like "T-Rex" in downtown DIsney and add some kind of volcano ride/coaster. Add more info on dinosaurs and use the space better. I like Nemo but I'm not even sure why that show is over there since it doesn't really fit. All in all I don't find there to be much that is appealing over there, besides the Dinosaur time rover ride. And the spinner with the triceratops?!?! Seriously? At least Dumbo makes sense. Why is a triceratops flying around? At least make it a freakin' pterodactyl!!!!!!! Sorry, but that's just lazy...

I think the "tragedy" of Dinoland USA is that it could be so much more. People love dinosaurs, Americans on the whole are fascinated with them, and this land could be a real people eater. Yes, Dinosaur is a good ride (with upkeep issues) but other than that, we skip this land entirely when we're at DAK. I think once Avatar is built it will allow for changes to be made here. Really, you could make Dinoland a grade A experience if all of Chester and Hester is torn down and replaced with a solid darkride on the history of Dinosaurs in various eras, along with a revitalization of the "Excavator coaster." The entire land could be themed to the Dinosaur Insitute, which was built near a prominent excavation site, it really wouldn't be hard. And you wouldn't need an elaborate backstory (that most guests don't know) in order to justify it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom