CinematicFusion

lapg.jpg

OMG, Disney is building a Terminator!

http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/pandora-s-box
I guess it's possible that the image is the ride system...I still think it's an arm for a animated creature.
But...it doesn't take that much imagination to see the arm of a ride vehicle when you compare it to vekoma's ride concept.

Crosses fingers...soaring 2.0 might be really cool!

SirLink

'Back to the Banshee'...nice ...!

Agree that as far as ride capacity that would need to be addressed.
Interesting however that the concept art shows 'single' Guests on the creatures....

Not quite it shows the Nav'i. What will happen is one of them will call out to your group in said vehicle "Be careful and follow us" Thus they are shown on video the whole time while you narrowly avoid Pandorian wild life.

Figments Friend

Agree regarding Roger Dean's famous art style in being very reminiscent of the art direction of the 'Avatar' film.
When i first saw the movie, my jaw dropped as i am a YES fan and immediately 'recognized' the similar looking rock formations.

I guess this is why Roger decided to finally sue 20th Century Fox for some bread....

CinematicFusion

Agree regarding Roger Dean's famous art style in being very reminiscent of the art direction of the 'Avatar' film.
When i first saw the movie, my jaw dropped as i am a YES fan and immediately 'recognized' the similar looking rock formations.

I guess this is why Roger decided to finally sue 20th Century Fox for some bread....

Oh man...I didn't know that happened. He should win, Avatar is a living Roger Dean painting.

Figments Friend

Not quite it shows the Nav'i. What will happen is one of them will call out to your group in said vehicle "Be careful and follow us" "Thus they are shown on video the whole time while you narrowly avoid Pandorian wild life."

Ah..thanks for the clarification.
I have not been studying the art as intently, but i see now that it is indeed the Na'vi.

:)

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is what I think the bottom line is going to be. Does Avatar have a major following at this time; maybe. A lot will depend on the second movie and if it can bring in the audiences that Avatar I did. If that movie is a super hit, than the fan base will be very large and they will be heading the next year to see what Disney has done at Walt Disney World. When Carsland open at California Adventure the numbers entering the turnstiles went up almost as much as Universal did for the opening of Harry Potter. When I talk to people about I am making another trip to Walt Disney World I hear from a lot of people that is that not just for kids. Disney just better hope that Avatar II is as good (or almost as good) as Avatar I, because Disney needs to get non-Disney fans, older teens, and adults into the park.

gboiler1

I curious when the Cameron/Disney marriage came about to produce Avatar, if some kind of dollar amount was discussed as part of the agreement.

Kman101

I agree that if the second movie is popular it could only benefit the land, however, again, I think too much credit is being given to the movie. Nine times out of ten folks just aren't going to care (lol, especially by 2017). They will see a themed land and whether they like it or not, they like it or not. We are such a small fraction, even if you added up all the unique posters and bloggers on all of the websites. JMO, of course.

I'd like to see some real arguments instead of 'it doesn't fit the theme' (IMO, it does, or can be bent to fit the theme, will regular guests really care either way? It's all subjective) or it doesn't hold nostalgia, etc. Well, a land in AK that folks like CAN eventually hold nostalgia. I'm just saying, I feel like people are dismissing it for all of the wrong reasons. But if someone doesn't like it, just say, I don't like it and don't want to see it in AK. Don't speak for the entire world that it will fail or lack an impact. It could, of course, but again, if we spent all of our lives wondering "what if ..."

My problem is the timeframe. I get that of course something can't just 'go up' but by 2017 (my negative WDW gut says it will be pushed to 2018, but did anyone catch Staggs on the DP Blog in which he said EARLY 2017 or something like that) is anyone really going to care about ANYTHING going in? (I'm not doing the US vs. WDW but it can't be ignored that they will have so many new things by then).

The way they handled SDMT ride has been a bit ridiculous. It REALLY should have been done. You can't tell me they couldn't have opened it this year? I mean, it's seriously like a bad joke by this point.

However, we're all still talking about it. So ... IDK. I think Disney is getting exactly what they want from Avatar. Divisive or not. People are talking and WILL check the land out, so they win.

Are there a billion fanboi ideas I'd love to see go in instead? Yes. But it is what it is. If I dwelled on that, I'd probably HATE this. I could easily pick it apart. Why waste the energy? Not to mention, I'd love to see that money be used elsewhere as well, but again, it is what it is. I just hope we see Epcot and DHS get some love in between because otherwise any progress Disney hopes to make will be pretty much shot. 2017 will bring a whole slew of new problems if Disney doesn't do something with the other parks. They more or less have wasted the last 10 years, especially the last five (even including NFL, which should have been done 10 years ago).

And I don't care who knows who, we DON'T know what folks are thinking behind the scenes. People 'say' and 'do' a lot of things. I took the Rhode picture as him "crying" over finally being able to add something, ANYTHING to AK. Again, it's all subjective, but there's fun in debate :) That being said, I trust our insiders as well.

Kman101

Oh, and while 'true' or not, I'm already kinda tired of their whole 'biggest expansion in park history'. Can we start a drinking game for that? I've heard it for years now with FLE and now they're touting it with Pandora. We. Get. It.

Figments Friend

I didn't think that art showed a guest. Just a banshee that you're following . . .

Indeed...SirLink pointed that out earlier in regards to my comment.
I have not been studying the concept art as intensively as others...but yes, it is plainly a Na'vi riding there.

For capacity reasons it is clear the ride will need to process several people at once.
This can be done with the multiple show rooms and rigs that have been theorized to be built.

phi2134

ctxak98

I am so on the fence.

On the one hand, the people who object to Avatar land because they don't like the movie annoy the heck out of me. Animal Kingdom needs something like this. It's not what I would have chosen, but the expansion addresses some of the needs of the park. That's a good thing.

On the other hand, these are just pretty paintings. We all know the finished project won't look like this. Budgets are likely to be cut. It doesn't open until 2017. It's pretty hard to get excited about what likely amounts to 2 rides (neither one a true E-ticket) opening 4 years from now. Factor in a divisive IP with a questionable fit to the park and I get why people are underwhelmed.

Personally, I'm cool with Avland. Cameron's presence suggests to me that Disney can't gut it completely. I think it will be a good addition to the park - a park that desperately needs more attractions and a night time show.

What I fight upsetting is the possibility that we might not get anything major between the Mine Train and Avland. That would be a travesty. If Disney can get some Star Wars or Pixar stuff in Hollywood Studios between now and 2017, I'll be a reasonably happy camper. But if we have to go three years between major additions, Avland will be too little too late much like the New Fantasyland.

Is that being unreasonable? I don't think so. I really don't think we're being hard to please at all. I don't think Disney is trying very hard to please us.
I completely agree with you! I dont think your being hard to please at all. My argument wasnt based on everyone just the ones who hate the idea of avatar completely!

I agree disney needs more fixing. DHS should get something and Epcot befote avatar finishes. This would help that long wait seem less lengthy!

Kman101

EPCOT and DHS are in serious need. We really need to see some movement here in 2014, period. DHS should have kept up with it, following TSM, they could have easily thrown in the Monsters coaster, which, knowing their track record in building now-a-days, would have opened in time for this years movie release, LOL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
'Agree that as far as ride capacity that would need to be addressed.
Interesting however that the concept art shows 'single' Guests on the creatures....
I took that as promo for the ride theme, or a mock up of a screenshot, much like you see the hang glider actually in the Soarin' film. Not as an actual impression of the ride system.

CinematicFusion

Looks to me like an animatronic Na'vi

You are most likely right...however, it could be an arm mech to support a ride vehicle. That arm would give the ride complete movement and would simulate flight rather realistically. Combine that with a curved Imax screen, smells and some 3-d and you have the makings of an amazing ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is what I think the bottom line is going to be. Does Avatar have a major following at this time; maybe. A lot will depend on the second movie and if it can bring in the audiences that Avatar I did. If that movie is a super hit, than the fan base will be very large and they will be heading the next year to see what Disney has done at Walt Disney World. When Carsland open at California Adventure the numbers entering the turnstiles went up almost as much as Universal did for the opening of Harry Potter. When I talk to people about I am making another trip to Walt Disney World I hear from a lot of people that is that not just for kids. Disney just better hope that Avatar II is as good (or almost as good) as Avatar I, because Disney needs to get non-Disney fans, older teens, and adults into the park.

If the success of failure of Avatarland is tied to the success/failure of the movies, then how do attractions that aren't tied to a movie or franchise every succeed?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With James Cameron on board, i have full faith that there will be no value engineering.
It has already sadly. The other ride, remember? Cameron wanted it, Disney didn't.

If the anchor turns out to be a fully immersive full motion Pandora's box ride system moving through physical space I'll be eating humble pie and jumping at the front on the line to ride and ride again. If its a motion base infront of a screen - Soarin' 2.0 - then its a huge missed opportunity. Uni got lucky with their Kuka arm attraction coming in at 85 million. WDI would charge that much just for the pens to draw the plans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom