SirLink

i love the idea of avatar but nothing is a potter swatter (yes im looking at you star wars), especially after Diagon Alley...but that doesnt mean Pandora cannot be a tremendous success....it will be different from potter and thats a good thing....any wagers how packed the place will be at night that first summer...ill be there!

If we were getting two 'Es' and a 'D' maybe - but a 'D' and "squint really hard and this is an 'E' " won't make it WWOHP opening day lines - even through theme park fans eyes.

twebber55

If we were getting two 'Es' and a 'D' maybe - but a 'D' and "squint really hard and this is an 'E' " won't make it WWOHP opening day lines.
i agree thats why i said its no potter swatter but i can imagine how packed it will be especially at night...and we still dont really know what we re getting in terms of rides...right now we re making educated guesses

ThemeParkJunkee

I have stayed out of the arguments re: Potter vs Avatar because it is meaningless to me. I love theme parks and go to the Orlando area about every four years. After my fall 2014 trip for Potter 2.0 and FLE including Mine Train, this fits very nicely into my 2018-19 plan. Last year I went to California for Carsland and Transformers.

I am scraping up the cash to go to Tokyo in between my Orlando trips and if California gets new stuff, I'll head there as well.

New stuff brings in visitors who enjoy theme park experiences. Better experiences bring them back. Potter for me holds the nostalgia that classic Disney holds for many of their guests but if they Uni had done it badly, I doubt I would have gone. If Pandora is a great theme park experience, I really don't care about the movie plot. There are many Disney movies I have never seen but I still like their "lands" or rides. There also some that fall flat to me.

I like speculating about the inclusions for Pandora. I like to watch ride videos on the internet. I like theme parks and the art and technology needed to create them. An immersive experience is what I am looking for and the concept art appears to provide that. The rides, I will wait for more on these later. They have the potential to be great but there should be more than two of them for this type of expansion.

twebber55

this has been discussed before but would you rather have an additional E ticket in Pandora giving it 3 top rides or the 2 rides and the night time show?

i actually think disney may have gotten this one right....new immersive land, new night time safari, new night time show

SirLink

i agree thats why i said its no potter swatter but i can imagine how packed it will be especially at night...and we still dont really know what we re getting in terms of rides...right now we re making educated guesses

We do: a boat ride and Soarin over Pandora

twebber55

We do: a boat ride and Soarin over Pandora
but we dont know specifics other than guesses from people on this board...for example there is a picture of what looks like a mini RV which doesnt look like soarin to me, you may be right and im not arguing here im just not sure

SirLink

this has been discussed before but would you rather have an additional E ticket in Pandora giving it 3 top rides or the 2 rides and the night time show?

i actually think disney may have gotten this one right....new immersive land, new night time safari, new night time show

I would of preferred this to be part of larger expansion plan for DAK, 2 E's and a D for Pandora, Night time entertainment, a Joe R redo of a Bugs Land up by Rafikis Planet Watch, as well as an overhaul to DinoLand turning it into an actual place with Dinosaurs rather than the bad institute story line, and one or two attractions elsewhere in the park. I.e. 5 year plan.

but we dont know specifics other than guesses from people on this board...for example there is a picture of what looks like a mini RV which doesnt look like soarin to me, you may be right and im not arguing here im just not sure

RV? We know there will be a boat ride - we know that it will be a D. We know that we'll be getting Soarin version for Avatar -one question remains do we get I-ride or the original Soarin 'D' ticket mechanism where you rock back and forth.

ToTBellHop

I am surprised they released artwork and built a model since we were assured this would never happen. Strange.

~Pendulum~
I thought you said you were leaving forever.
tumblr_m9u8g5mQbJ1qe3ljuo2_400.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe so, but nonetheless what they are delivering seems top notch, it will finally be an expansion that can actually go toe to toe with what is being offered at the wizarding world of harry potter.
Wait and see before making any assumptions. Both with Avland and Potter phase two. I do hope you're right, but remember by 2017 there will be another 4-5 E tickets up I-4, making the parks as a whole appeal as opposed to this attractions vs that attraction.

End of the day its a win for the visitor and resident. Let the corporates argue the toss. You just to decide who gets more admission money.

twebber55

Wait and see before making any assumptions. Both with Avland and Potter phase two. I do hope you're right, but remember by 2017 there will be another 4-5 E tickets up I-4, making the parks as a whole appeal as opposed to this attractions vs that attraction.

End of the day its a win for the visitor and resident. Let the corporates argue the toss. You just to decide who gets more admission money.
i think its obvious i ve been excited for this expansion and can see this as a huge success if funded properly, however i agree little brother up the street is turning some serious heads right now...cant wait for next summer

cynic710

im on board with the party who is excited that as a guest i get to enjoy the upgrades at both uni and disney. in my heart i will always be a disney loyal but honestly, every trip ive gone to orlando (outside of my honeymoon) i have visited both parks, and will continue to do so. i think pandora is not only a good fit for disney, but for animal kingdom as well, the movie itself was about living with the land, isnt that AK's claim? plus, the movie itself is basically pocahantas...anyway, simply put, this is great and exciting news.

cynic710

Figments Friend

Didn't they try that in 1998?

Heh heh..indeed, but i was referring to the uniqueness of the Pandorian setting.
'Real' world recreations of Africa, Asian, and the like are great, but a otherworldly 'created' world featuring elements like the Pandorian landscape is something extra unusual.

Figments Friend

You mean like back to the future?? :)

Disney is all about ride capacity tho... no way you'd have your own personal simulator like everyone is riding their own banshee like in the movie. They'll need to come up with some story excuse to put groups together in the ride system.

Someone photoshop the startours speeder on the back of a banshee for me :)

'Back to the Banshee'...nice ...!

Agree that as far as ride capacity that would need to be addressed.
Interesting however that the concept art shows 'single' Guests on the creatures....

Figments Friend

Love the concept art. Love the video. 2017 cannot come soon enough. My only worries are that it will either be value engineered or TWO won't maintain it.

With James Cameron on board, i have full faith that there will be no value engineering.
Oh sure Burbank will probably want to thin out the budget being directed to certain areas of this project, but Cameron has a notorious history of sticking to his guns and not backing down when it comes to downsizing something he is working on.
He enjoys going the extra mile and trying to push the creative envelope, primarily in his various film efforts.
It is promising.

Part of the reason i have had good vibes about this project since it was announced was that he was to be personally involved.
He is not known for 'taking the easy way out'...or tackling something half-reared. He goes into projects to usually achieve some kind of personal goal, usually a technical achievement.
I expect the Banshee attraction to end up being something truly cutting edge and unique.

I can see where there may have been, or perhaps still is, conflicts between him and Disney or WDI.
The 'let's build something as cheaply as possible' philosophy that we have seen with management of the Company over the last few years is NOT going to fly with James Cameron.
No way.
He will push hard for the best-as-possible...and i am sure he has insisted on a substantial budget to even be involved.
Putting him together with some folks at WDI may give them a kick in the pants to get inspired about other possible projects ( non-Cameron related). Who knows at this point..

I am very interested to see how this all plays out....and if all that has been talked about over the past couple of years comes to bear fruit.
It has indeed been a up and down roller coaster...both in front of the scenes and behind the scenes.

Last edited:

socalkdg

Carsland has an E ticket and 2 C tickets, with neither C ticket having much of a ride capacity. Avland with an E and D will eat up just as many people as Carsland. If they do as good a job with this as they did with Carsland, then it will be a success. The real question is what was more popular, Cars or Avatar? Lets compare Disney to its last big project and go from there.

ToTBellHop

Carsland has an E ticket and 2 C tickets, with neither C ticket having much of a ride capacity. Avland with an E and D will eat up just as many people as Carsland. If they do as good a job with this as they did with Carsland, then it will be a success. The real question is what was more popular, Cars or Avatar? Lets compare Disney to its last big project and go from there.
Avatar made substantially more money. I think more important than that will be execution of Pandora as a themed environment. The artwork makes it look better than Carsland IMHO. But, it's artwork and it has blatant impossibilities even with a very generous budget.

CinematicFusion

Orignal Concepts and Artwork for Avatar...

Everytime I see Avatar images it reminds me of the 1970's. With Yes Album covers and velvety black light posters. I wonder if this is where James Cameron got his ideas for Avatar. I see him in his big rig truck (yes..he was a truck driver at one time) blasting Yes music and the back of his Rig is plastered with black light lit velvety posters.

Avatar to me is this strange trip back into the 1970's. With Disney involved, I finally get to live inside a Yes Album and get to explore the living breathing world of 1970 black light velvety posters. It will be exciting!
Joking aside...I am excited about Avatar Land. I think it will be amazing.

Here are the original art concepts for Avatar....
il_570xN.272203384.jpg
black-light-poster.png

TheAncientYes1.jpg
0.jpg
616G3upP9kL._SS500_.jpg
385335.jpg
yes_back.jpg
562128413.0.l.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom