WDWDad13

This is exactly what I am feeling too! On one hand I am super excited based off the concept art and how brilliant the land can be. On the other, I am seeing them cutting back and scaling down to meet budget! I don't want this to happen. Hopefully Cameron will put his foot down and make them go through with the plans! who know at this point!

However I am also more excited for the boat ride. I think this ride will really be something to see is its done right. A peaceful journey in a boat through the nighttime bioluminescent jungles of Pandora. It will be something to see that's for sure!

Well I also wonder if Cameron would put some of his own money (or film proceeds anyways) into this project himself too so it doesn't get cheaply done????

Based on concept art this could be potentially the most impressive theme park section in the world...wait for it....if done correctly

Disneyfanatic247

Is anybody else scared to see how the boat ride will be? Knowing Disney and their boat rides, or any rides with animatronics, I'm quite scared to see the animatronics for the Pandora boat ride.

jt04

Is anybody else scared to see how the boat ride will be? Knowing Disney and their boat rides, or any rides with animatronics, I'm quite scared to see the animatronics for the Pandora boat ride.

I think it will be something closer to what is experienced at The Land rather than a thrill ride. Just a guess though.

EPCOTCenterLover

Orignal Concepts and Artwork for Avatar...

Everytime I see Avatar images it reminds me of the 1970's. With Yes Album covers and velvety black light posters. I wonder if this is where James Cameron got his ideas for Avatar. I see him in his big rig truck (yes..he was a truck driver at one time) blasting Yes music and the back of his Rig is plastered with black light lit velvety posters.

Avatar to me is this strange trip back into the 1970's. With Disney involved, I finally get to live inside a Yes Album and get to explore the living breathing world of 1970 black light velvety posters. It will be exciting!
Joking aside...I am excited about Avatar Land. I think it will be amazing.

Here are the original art concepts for Avatar....
il_570xN.272203384.jpg
black-light-poster.png

TheAncientYes1.jpg
0.jpg
616G3upP9kL._SS500_.jpg
385335.jpg
yes_back.jpg
562128413.0.l.jpg
I owned that last poster for years! :)

katexo

Hmmm, while the concept art does look beautiful im not too sure how I feel about it. On one hand I would really like to experience the world of Pandora, even if I didnt care for the movie too much, simply because it had really nice visuals.
On the other hand this is Disney, and Id rather see something more Disney themed or an original idea coming into the park.

jt04

Hmmm, while the concept art does look beautiful im not too sure how I feel about it. On one hand I would really like to experience the world of Pandora, even if I didnt care for the movie too much, simply because it had really nice visuals.
On the other hand this is Disney, and Id rather see something more Disney themed or an original idea coming into the park.

I see what you are saying but also appreciate the eclectic direction of DAK and possibly DHS. And if they were not doing something like this people would be accusing them of being predictable and formulaic.

Atomicmickey

It has already sadly. The other ride, remember? Cameron wanted it, Disney didn't.

If the anchor turns out to be a fully immersive full motion Pandora's box ride system moving through physical space I'll be eating humble pie and jumping at the front on the line to ride and ride again. If its a motion base infront of a screen - Soarin' 2.0 - then its a huge missed opportunity. Uni got lucky with their Kuka arm attraction coming in at 85 million. WDI would charge that much just for the pens to draw the plans.

Somewhere in the past couple days it was discussed that the coaster for Avatar was going to become
the speeder bike coaster for Star Wars. I think that's a win/win if so. The two coasters sounded the same,
for one. I will enjoy speeding around Endor about as much as I would speeding around Pandora.

I also think of it this way. If I was James Cameron, I'd say something like "ok, if the coaster is going
to go to Star Wars, the simulator better be freakin' amazing!" And he'd want to crank that sucker
up to 11!

Just my thinking on the lack of coaster situation, but maybe my glass is half full . . . .

flyerjab

I have posted several times now that with Cameron involved, I don't see this being done through value engineering. He is a perfectionist and extremely intense when it comes to making his movies.

I watched the making of the Abyss not too long ago. He was crazy directing that movie. The actors were out through hell to film that and he was right there with them. That also is another example to me of one of his movies not having an amazing storyline or dialogue, but the action and visuals of that movie were incredible. I feel that Cameron and his team will help translate the visuals of Avatar from the screen to the theme park.

And I still don't understand the argument that because the storyline in the movie was subpar or was not written very well that the land will stink. I don't get that correlation. I think this had the ability to amaze after it opens.

flyerjab

Also, hindsight is 20:20. I think they see the error they made with Harry Potter and JKR, specifically the cash that they have missed out on down the interstate. I don't see them repeating that with Cameron. Also, Cameron is not stupid. That is why I am predicting this to be an amazing collaborative effort.

matt9112

I may be in the minority but Im more excited about the boat ride than anything else lol, when was the last time Disney had a new boat ride? Splash Mountain 1992? (thats not even really a boat ride but a log flume) That is if the boat ride even still happens. Hoping it does even if the concept art may be over exaggerated. Like I said before had it gone to TDSea it would be phenomenal, but in TDO's hands/Burbanks hands and or Imagineerings egos, sensing a watered/scaled down version. But maybe Cameron will keep his foot down on it.

i hope they use the floating mountains as the show building and a 200 foot drop is planned....it can be called so you don't feel like you just wasted a day lets scare the sh*t out of you!

CinematicFusion

Somewhere in the past couple days it was discussed that the coaster for Avatar was going to become
the speeder bike coaster for Star Wars. I think that's a win/win if so. The two coasters sounded the same,
for one. I will enjoy speeding around Endor about as much as I would speeding around Pandora.

I also think of it this way. If I was James Cameron, I'd say something like "ok, if the coaster is going
to go to Star Wars, the simulator better be freakin' amazing!" And he'd want to crank that sucker
up to 11!

Just my thinking on the lack of coaster situation, but maybe my glass is half full . . . .

I really think that anamatronic arm everyone is thinking is a piece to a navi body is really going to be the arm that controls the ride mech to soarin 2.0.

It's just a hunch but it's the only thing that can simulate the lift off and dive of flying on a dragon.

twebber55

I really think that anamatronic arm everyone is thinking is a piece to a navi body is really going to be the arm that controls the ride mech to soarin 2.0.

It's just a hunch but it's the only thing that can simulate the lift off and dive of flying on a dragon.
here to hoping you re right

also the middle bar looks similar to pandoras box .....

Rosso11

Funny because OLC don't want it ... and they aren't really trusting of WDI costs.

This actually has me thinking. Could this be the reason Avatar was announced in Japan? Disney is trying to get the Japanese fans all excited about Avatar thereby pressuring OLC into building their own land and offsetting some of their own costs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom