Sped2424

Oh come on. Avatar doesn't have the cross-generational, family appeal of Potter. Your average kid - and many average adults - identify much more easily with the Potter characters than they do the Na'vi. Flying around on brooms and casting spells with wands is way more fun than running through a neon jungle with bulimic blue pussycats. No way this new Avatar land can compete with Potter. ESPECIALLY with Potter 2.0. Holy crap, from what I'm hearing and reading about it, THAT might be able to compete with WDW's Tower of Terror when it comes to theming, technical brilliance and storytelling. THAT'S something I can't wait to experience. At this rate, and given its current clueless leadership, WDW will never be able to swat Potter. It will continue to dilute its own identity by cluttering up the park with non-Disney-generated concepts. It breaks my heart to type this, but I fear it's true.
Don't get it twisted, I never claimed avatar had a fanbase larger than harry potters, or was more accessible either. What I am saying is if they deliver on what the concept art is telling us I definitely think avatar land will more than be able to compete with the wizarding world. I know you are not a fan of the franchise or its implementation into the park, but even you have to admit what they are showing us is above and beyond the value engineered projects we have been getting lately (Besides carsland). Also you don't really get to fly on a broom at harry potter land.. Also you are praising a theme park that uses IP's that don't necessarily clash or fit together (wizards and dinosaurs), and you are angry because disney chose to do the same? IOA Technically has multiple identities and that seems to work quite well for it, I don't see why Disney can't incorporate an IP that isn't theirs if they are going to do a kick job with it. I think for once they got a project right, and I ain't thanking disney CEO's For this one, I bet it took so long because they have been arguing on the budget, as many have stated James Cameron is not one to let a shabby piece of work fly under his name.

luv

Those pod things remind me of the movie "Cocoon."

Glowing, lighted flowers do not interest me.

I hope it is better than it looks.

ctxak98

I don't mean to laugh at anyone here on this sitw but it is quite funny how hard we all are to please.

If you think about it we all complain as of lately that disney isnt doing anything and universal is so great and doing this and doing that. And "come on disney fight back" but once disney does something awesome like this and something that looks amazing, we all want something else.

Personally i think if they sticj to what they have shown us, then this addition will be nothing shory of fantastic. Yes disney does need to do more beyond this to fix what is broken but ita a good starting point. They have the land itself which will interact with guests, plus two other real attraction. Which is the same amount as any other land in AK.

In terms of comparing to potter, that is tough. Potter does have a larger fanbase due to being both a movie and a book series. However people here say potter does well because its so well known and so well done. Lets say it wasnt a book or movie, would that make it any less awesome!? I dont think i would.

What i am getting at is Avatar Land im sure will be mostly about the beauty of Pandora, then the lame story that came with it. Seriously people who dont find Pandora beautiful or breathtajing either hate nature and shouldnt even go to AK, or B are dilusional.

So in terms of detail and environment yes Avatar will play well against potter. The visuals are striking and if they stray far from the plot ofthe movie, it might be even better, because hate avatar all you want, there are haters for every movie. Some people hate harry potter, but im sure they think the ride is fun.

Still too early to say but heres to hoping for the start of change!!!!

Sped2424

No..."Harry Potter Land" is a place that millions of people "grew up" in by READING books. Imagine that? Potter has a HUGE built in fanbase. Avatarland will look pretty cool, no doubt. People will see it because its at Disney and they are there.
Once again, never doubted the power of its fanbase (me included), I am talking about the theme park addition as of now it is the current it thing to see out of theme parks period in Orlando. Which is why I said avatarland could very well generate the same kind of buzz and even steal the spotlight when its released. Forgive me for shortening The Wizarding World of Harry potter, to Harry potter land. :rolleyes: If you don't think avatar land is stepping up the plate with the entire idea of making the land completely change at night to be bio luminescent and that its just a "Cool" addition I don't know what it would take to please ya (add in a e ticket and c ticket and possible mystery ride). There is a reason this film was the highest grossing of all time, and I think it was the visuals themselves that helped do that. The landscape alone seems beautiful. Guests will wanna see it, if not just for the nightlife, which for many was the awe inspiring part of the film.

Disneyhead'71

I was a Disney fan first. I have become frustrated with them since I dropped a big chunk of change to go see DCA right after it opened. Then in 2006 I returned to WDW to see the stale and run down condition of the place. I haven't seen Cars Land, but it has been a VERY long time since Disney built something at WDW that impressed me.

Since then I have become a big fan of what Universal has been doing. That said, this concept art is what I have been waiting for. If they actually pull this off, I will be very happy, and it will restore some of my faith in Disney after a string of bad decisions in both coasts.

My guess is that this project will be well over the $500 million originally budgeted. And they know that and are intent on knocking one out of the park just to knock one out of the park. Disney used to do that, but it has been a long time since they were willing to do that. I just hope that 1. They follow through. And 2. They stay on top of maintenance. All of this glowing stuff looks like a maintenance nightmare. Especially with all the guests touching it.

Last edited:

IAmFloridaBorn

It's in Disneys best interest to get this right 100%. Perfection may not exist but Disney needs to pretend like it does in this case. IF so, they pull of a hell of a land (Based on concept renderings) amd they convert Animal Kingdom into a more balanced, more than a half day park..

I'm skeptical, because it's TDO, but I'm hopeful because it's simply time for the WDW Resort to get a new attraction.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
And it needs more than two new attractions.

I don't know if there is space for it, but here's what I would do - build a couple of smaller rides in the Dinoland area whilst Pandora is under construction. Maybe even give us a dinosaur zoo and, if possible, bring back Lucky. DLR really changed my perspective this summer. WDW needs a few more small scale things scattered about to really flesh the place out and the build out of Pandora would be a perfect time to do this. Also, a Pandora with two really nice over the top attractions is awesome, but an inexpensive addition would be a swinging vine ride that is designed to look like a giant plant and bioluminesces at night....another small scale thing that WDW really doesn't have on property and if done correctly would really contribute to the look of the land.

lebeau

I don't mean to laugh at anyone here on this sitw but it is quite funny how hard we all are to please.

If you think about it we all complain as of lately that disney isnt doing anything and universal is so great and doing this and doing that. And "come on disney fight back" but once disney does something awesome like this and something that looks amazing, we all want something else.

I am so on the fence.

On the one hand, the people who object to Avatar land because they don't like the movie annoy the heck out of me. Animal Kingdom needs something like this. It's not what I would have chosen, but the expansion addresses some of the needs of the park. That's a good thing.

On the other hand, these are just pretty paintings. We all know the finished project won't look like this. Budgets are likely to be cut. It doesn't open until 2017. It's pretty hard to get excited about what likely amounts to 2 rides (neither one a true E-ticket) opening 4 years from now. Factor in a divisive IP with a questionable fit to the park and I get why people are underwhelmed.

Personally, I'm cool with Avland. Cameron's presence suggests to me that Disney can't gut it completely. I think it will be a good addition to the park - a park that desperately needs more attractions and a night time show.

What I fight upsetting is the possibility that we might not get anything major between the Mine Train and Avland. That would be a travesty. If Disney can get some Star Wars or Pixar stuff in Hollywood Studios between now and 2017, I'll be a reasonably happy camper. But if we have to go three years between major additions, Avland will be too little too late much like the New Fantasyland.

Is that being unreasonable? I don't think so. I really don't think we're being hard to please at all. I don't think Disney is trying very hard to please us.

Kman101

I think we all just need to let the 'Potter-swatter' theory die. WDW is doing it's own thing, whether we agree with it or not, and Uni is doing their thing. Period. I'm happy for both. I could care less if Potter 'beats' WDW, or vice versa. To me, I'm getting amazing experiences in both parks. Why can't we just enjoy it all? LOL. I guess I'm just always trying to find the positives in everything and I think using Potter as the be all, end all, is getting a little old.

It's awesome, I loved the movies and the books but it's NOT the be all end all and something more impressive could come down the road to UNI (such as Potter 2, LOL).

The fact is Uni finally got the money and a company that cared to invest in it. If it weren't for Comcast, would we even have Potter? I have no inside information so probably, maybe not.

WDW is finally getting their head out of their you-know-what (well, I know better than to say that, so it still remains to ultimately be seen and SO SO MUCH else needs work -- Epcot REALLY needs help). I think using Potter is an easy way to dismiss something folks don't like.

And Avatar itself aside, Disney can easily turn the world of Pandora into their own, and it doesn't need to movie to thrive in a theme park environment. Disney could market crap on a stick and it would sell. I think folks read a little too much into whether Avatar will work or not.

Before anyone calls me an Avatar lover, again, I've never seen the movie. I guess I just look at things differently.

twebber55

i love the idea of avatar but nothing is a potter swatter (yes im looking at you star wars), especially after Diagon Alley...but that doesnt mean Pandora cannot be a tremendous success....it will be different from potter and thats a good thing....any wagers how packed the place will be at night that first summer...ill be there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom