JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
tumblr_inline_mujik8Zhel1rucdgs.jpg

Poor Joe. Just look at the expression on his face. Whether or not you support this ridiculous plan for expansion at Animal Kingdom, I think we all can appreciate the fact that Joe had this facial expression during a posed publicity shot.
In all fairness, he could have been mid-comment, mid-blink, mid-I need a coffee. You should see what I can make Judge Judy look like, depending on when I hit pause.

I, for one, do not think he is sending subliminal "I hate Avatar" facial messages. Only he knows for sure.
Would you rather see three fawning, sycophantic expressions?

AdventureHasAName

tumblr_inline_mujik8Zhel1rucdgs.jpg

Poor Joe. Just look at the expression on his face. Whether or not you support this ridiculous plan for expansion at Animal Kingdom, I think we all can appreciate the fact that Joe had this facial expression during a posed publicity shot.

Joe better watch his back - he's *this* close to being branded "angry theme park designer guy".

lazyboy97o

In all fairness, he could have been mid-comment, mid-blink, mid-I need a coffee. You should see what I can make Judge Judy look like, depending on when I hit pause.

I, for one, do not think he is sending subliminal "I hate Avatar" facial messages. Only he knows for sure.
Would you rather see three fawning, sycophantic expressions?
Disney isn't the kind to do spur-of-the moment shots, but it is possible.

misterID

Harry Potter, kids grew up with it. It's kid friendly. LOTR, some kids grew up with it, it's still kid friendly.

LOTR is definitely not kid friendly. Minus the nudity it wasn't far off from the original Conan film. It took a long time to get the nieces and nephews to watch those films. Avatar was much easier and comfortable for them to watch.

doctornick

Yep, essentially all they did was release a couple of pretty pictures to appease the rabid WDW fans, without releasing any new information.

I don't agree. New information:

1. Picture of a boat ride, which was thought to be possibly axed
2. Discussion of the "riding on banshee" ride concept, which was never officially talked about previously
and, most importantly,
3. Acknowledging a new night time show on the Discover River and the night time safaris -- both of which had some rumors but were never seen as definite and never talked about officially previously.

WDW1974

Nope. All I can add is that leaked artwork from 2012 pretty much nailed things. And there will not be three attractions, there will be two.

I can also say that Disney feels Avatar is so unliked by the fan community that they made sure to prominently talk about night safaris (something the park was built to have) and Rivers of Light or whatever dumbed down MAGICal Disney name they will put on the night spectacular. They wanted to. And sure they were not just talking about Pandora, but DAK 'new stuff' in general.

Now, you can go back to talking about how awful the film was (it was very, very bad).

MerlinTheGoat

Nope. All I can add is that leaked artwork from 2012 pretty much nailed things. And there will not be three attractions, there will be two.
By the leaked art, do you mean the "blueprints" showing the Soarin clone and boat ride?-
http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/10/26/avatar-plans-for-disneys-animal-kingdom-leaked/

I only asked about the roster because Martin mentioned earlier in a thread (forget which one, this one or another) that a third ride (coaster?) was under consideration. He indicated it still may be in talks. Oh well.

I am happy about the night changes. I love Disney parks at night. Do you happen to know when the night conversion is planned to happen? Is it going to happen before the rest of AVATAR Land, or begin at the same time? Seems like the night conversions could begin now and open well ahead of 2017 easily if they wanted to.

Sped2424

Thank God they kept the boat ride with REAL THEMING and REAL Audio Animatronics. God how long has it been since they did a ride like that? I wanna say since the early days of Epcot
I think the last boat ride done (with animatronics, not including the early days of the boat at AK) at walt disney world that is, was maelstrom? Off the top of my head at least.

SirLink

So judging from the concept art I see no human buildings so I take it we won't see recreated in the park a giant mech with a dagger trying to kill the Navi?

MerlinTheGoat

So judging from the concept art I see no human buildings so I take it we won't see recreated in the park a giant mech with a dagger trying to kill the Navi?
There is a concrete looking structure on the right side of this piece of art (it's in the background but looks like a human sort of building)-
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar/gallery/12oct2013-avatar-concept-art-disney's-animal-kingdom/19718.htm

It does have vines covering it though, perhaps it's supposed to be an abandoned building overrun by plant life...

EDIT-
In fact there seems to be another (smaller and farther away) such structure visible on the left side through the trees. And there's a pile of rubble in the middle of the image that I believe is a broken mech, lying on its back (you can see its windshield). Again all of this looks like it's supposed to be kind of old and overgrown with plants.

Alektronic

There is a concrete looking structure on the right side of this piece of art (it's in the background but looks like a human sort of building)-
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar/gallery/12oct2013-avatar-concept-art-disney's-animal-kingdom/19718.htm

It does have vines covering it though, perhaps it's supposed to be an abandoned building overrun by plant life...

EDIT-
In fact there seems to be another (smaller and farther away) such structure visible on the left side through the trees. And there's a pile of rubble in the middle of the image that I believe is a broken mech, lying on its back (you can see its windshield). Again all of this looks like it's supposed to be kind of old and overgrown with plants.

On the right hand side, it looks like a bridge to me.

Alektronic

About the floating islands, I would have to say the bigger ones would be on the left hand side as you enter from Discovery Island. The show building should be put there because there is already an access road there also. They need something to cover up the back side of the Rainforest Café and the big waterfall on top, it's pretty ugly from behind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom