danlb_2000

Premium Member
Again thread hijaked so ill try to get back on subject. The model is what is intersting to me. Wondering how tall will the mountain will be? Any guesses

Here's my estimate... The person in the model nearest the mountain is 1/4" high and the mountain is 6" high. To make things easy lets estimate that the person is 6' tall, so that would the mountain 144' high which would make it the same height as the Tree of Life. Obviously there could be mistakes in this calculation but it seems likely that the mountains will be over 100' tall.

Atomicmickey

Anyone know how much land this will take up?
Just CMM, or the extra land to the South?

49q3.jpg

ABQ

Excellent point in that, unlike so many other things at WDW in recent years, this is an actual honest to good expansion that adds attractions without losing anything. It is good that when this is done, there will simply be more to do in DAK, which is definitely needed.
Exactly. I'm not a fan of the movie, was never able to get through it all, still, it plusses the park. If done well, it may end all the "it's a half day park" discussion. The best stage show in WDW was relocated to, hopefully, a better spot, when the easy way out would simply be to level FOTLK and then dump Avatar atop its burial grounds, but they are clearly choosing to add rather than zero sum this construction. So whether you appreciate the theme or not, it is a good thing for the park overall.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OK, then here's what I think it is based upon the renderings and the model.
Can anyone comment on this based upon plans they have seen or
insider information?

tc44.jpg
This seems pretty reasonable to me. The only thing you are missing is the DVC kiosk;)

Doesn't look like there is much room left over for the rumored 3rd ride, roller coaster.

Atomicmickey

This seems pretty reasonable to me. The only thing you are missing is the DVC kiosk;)

Doesn't look like there is much room left over for the rumored 3rd ride, roller coaster.

Well, yeah, since that's only rumor at this point--and was perhaps a thing and now
perhaps not, this is the best I could come up with. I think if there was going to be
a coaster, it could be along that southern edge, a long, soaring track that went around
the corner and along, in and out of the back rock wall. I think it could fit. And it
may be telling that it is that part of the model that is pulled out for the three
guys to pose in the pic.

At this point, I'd say it isn't happening, but I will happily wait for another announcement
or an insider to say that this on again, off again attraction is on again. But I'm not
going to hold my breath.

steve76

OK, then here's what I think it is based upon the renderings and the model.
Can anyone comment on this based upon plans they have seen or
insider information?

I would have thought that they would have built a walkway to connect Avatarland and Africa (where the new FOLK will be). I would also be surprised if they built direct access to the land from the Oasis, since Discovery Island is effectively the park's entry retail corridor. Could it be that the land is rotated slightly from your rendering, so that the two entries are from Africa and Discovery Island?

(Great image, BTW)

Atomicmickey

I would have thought that they would have built a walkway to connect Avatarland and Africa (where the new FOLK will be). I would also be surprised if they built direct access to the land from the Oasis, since Discovery Island is effectively the park's entry retail corridor. Could it be that the land is rotated slightly from your rendering, so that the two entries are from Africa and Discovery Island?

(Great image, BTW)

Re: entrances. I wrestled with that. You are correct about the retail on Discovery Island, but something tells me that a 'direct link' between Africa and Pandora is wrong. Discovery Island and the Oasis are 'neutral territory'--an embarkation point into the various lands. A journey to Pandora from there is possible, but I don't think that the transition from Africa to Pandora would play well. I know that Africa is so incredibly themed that I would resent any intrusion of the fantasy Pandora into that world, and I'm not sure that James Cameron wants to see a ramshackle African village beyond his bioluminescent plants.

So, this was the solution. I think the land will need two paths, and some sort of circular 'flow' through the
land with some shortcuts, though.

I could be completely wrong about all of this. That's why I made it, to get people thinking, and others
to come out of the woodwork and say "sorta, but here's how it really is". :)

And thanks for the compliment. I had fun making it quickly . . .

SJN1279

Well, yeah, since that's only rumor at this point--and was perhaps a thing and now
perhaps not, this is the best I could come up with. I think if there was going to be
a coaster, it could be along that southern edge, a long, soaring track that went around
the corner and along, in and out of the back rock wall. I think it could fit. And it
may be telling that it is that part of the model that is pulled out for the three
guys to pose in the pic.

At this point, I'd say it isn't happening, but I will happily wait for another announcement
or an insider to say that this on again, off again attraction is on again. But I'm not
going to hold my breath.

I believe the coaster concept is going to be used for Star Wars instead.

I didn't like Avatar, but the best thing about the movie was the impressive 3D for its time. I think a plussed Soarin in 3D is the perfect way to experience an Avatar attraction. Cameron will make sure it is top shelf, and we get a river ride for the entire family to boot. I have very high hopes for this land.

Atomicmickey

I believe the coaster concept is going to be used for Star Wars instead.

I didn't like Avatar, but the best thing about the movie was the impressive 3D for its time. I think a plussed Soarin in 3D is the perfect way to experience an Avatar attraction. Cameron will make sure it is top shelf, and we get a river ride for the entire family to boot. I have very high hopes for this land.

THAT MAKES SENSE.

The coaster is out because the same concept will be used for Star Wars.
Yes.

OK. I'm fine with no Avatar coaster, then. I get it now.

I can see the discussions in WDI about the coaster, where it should go and what it
should be. And maybe Cameron being upset that Star Wars is going to take his
coaster. But that's fine. We still get our coaster, it's just going through Endor
rather than Pandora.

steve76

Re: entrances. I wrestled with that. You are correct about the retail on Discovery Island, but something tells me that a 'direct link' between Africa and Pandora is wrong. Discovery Island and the Oasis are 'neutral territory'--an embarkation point into the various lands. A journey to Pandora from there is possible, but I don't think that the transition from Africa to Pandora would play well.

Good point, I hadn't considered how you would transition from Africa to Pandora. That certainly would be a challenge.

Perhaps Disney need to buy the rights to District 9. That was a science fiction film with aliens based in Africa...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom