Attn: Ladies!

kybred72

What do you carry your female needs in (i.e. chapstick, sunglasses, hygiene products, etc? I want something functional yet stylish and therefore won't be wearing a fannypack :hurl: No offense to those who wear them but looking for other alternatives. So, what do you use?

Thanks!

27 DAYS!!!! :sohappy:

Disney_Belle

I use a Vera Bradley small hipster across the shoulder bag and I love it. Its big enough to hold what I need, but not cumbersome.

I have the Vera mini hipster as well. It is great! However, someone like me who has the camera, the flip camera, the wallet, the cell phone, the chapstick and everything else, it got to be a bit of a hassle because while everything fit, it was crammed in there. So to get one thing out, if it wasn't right at the top, I had to empty it all. So I just went to my local Vera outlet and bought a regular Hipster. I really like the crossbody styles. Being able to have everything in front of me is such a great convenience!

But I may have to buy one of the Mickey crossbody bags Marie posted - sooo cute!

And Sweetpee - those bags are just ADORABLE! I want one!

Upvote 0

AgentP65

I'm with you on the Vera Bradley mini-hipster. It's like a pack for the un- pack crowd. I got one for my mom and we wear them together - we look like a page out of a catalogue:

http://www.verabradley.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=mini+hipster&x=40&y=10

OK - not nearly as cute as sweetpea's bags but does the job!

I used to carry a small Speedo backpack in the parks - loved the hands-free convenience, but didn't like having to remove the bag from my back every time I needed to get something out of it. And even though my backpack was lightweight and had mesh fabric on the underside of the straps, it made my back feel sweaty during those long, hot days touring.

Then I went to the L.L. Bean "Travelers" bag and used that for several years. But now - like several other posters - I'm a recent convert to the Vera Bradley
Crossbody Mini Hipster! It's the perfect size (I travel light, just carry the essentials), is lightweight, comfortable and attractive. It has 4 interior slots for credit cards in the zippered main compartment, so I know my KTTW card is safe and secure! The VB mini hipster comes in so many great patterns and, while it retails for $45, I got mine (new) on eBay for well under $20.

Personally, I would never wear a pack, but I can understand why some folks do choose to wear them for the convenience.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I love carrying the Disney drawstring bags. They have a new one for every year that shows the 2-digit year.

It's stylish, doesn't kill my back AND it's one of my favorite keepsakes of each of my Disney trips to commemorate the year we visited.

Shopping Tip: We always purchase them at MouseGear at EPCOT.

Have a great trip!

I love the drawstring backpacks, too. These are also super-duper simple to make. You don't have to have a whole lot of sewing knowledge to do something that easy. If you google "how to make drawstring backpack" you'll pull up lots of tutorials. I think I've even seen video instruction on YouTube. :D

Silly question, but our last trip I shoved everything in my pockets and carried as little as possible because I didnt want to have to fuss with lockers for certain rides. (For example Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey all bags had to be in lockers)

Do you ladies have any problems like this using these types of bags? I really dont want to have to use a pack... My 's big enough without something to make it look larger!!! :ROFLOL:
THanks!!

No problems like that at WDW. With my little cross-body pouch bags you just close the velcro closure then swing the bag in front of you when you sit down. I've worn my bags on all Disney rides without a problem: RnRC, ToT, EE, BTMRR, SM, you name it. Not one problem. Ever.

I love crossbody bags! I use one as my everyday bag when going to work. When I'm at the parks I use a Vera Bradley ID holder for my cards and some cash. I do keep a small cosmetic bag with other necessities in the small messenger bag my husband carries.

And major props to you, Kelly! I just started knitting a few months ago but sewing is a completely different ballgame to me. I love the interior...look at you being all smart and measuring to fit a KttW card. ;)

Oh girl! Lemme just tell you! My mom taught me to knit & crochet when I was 8 or 9. I didn't keep the knitting. I can still crochet. I self-taught hand-sewing when I was 9 or so just because I liked to make things. I had a tiny bit of machine introduction in middle school home economics. Then I married a man who's mother is a highly-skilled seamstress. Now I can make most anything with a pattern but zippers remain my nemesis. I have a mental block with those. In the past year or so I've learned how to take doll clothes patterns and other small patterns and modify them to my liking. I wish I could sit down with other girls and show them this stuff. It's so easy to do. The hard part for me is the patience and time I wish I had to sew more! :wave:

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

sweetpea - OMG! Those are so cute. I have used my small child's back pack from WDW for years but dislike the fact that it is only on one shoulder for the day. I have felt the last couple of trips that a cross-body strap small purse is the way to go but have never found one that I like until I saw yours. You have inspired me to make one -- really, I sew all the time and never thought of just building one to fit for myself :hammer::hammer::hammer: Thanks for the inspiration

Upvote 0

rstaut

I always used a small drawstring backpack. We keep our water bottle in their too! I prefer a back pack to a messanger bag. The messanger bags always bounce against my leg when I walk too fast...annoying!

Upvote 0

MissM

Silly question, but our last trip I shoved everything in my pockets and carried as little as possible because I didnt want to have to fuss with lockers for certain rides. (For example Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey all bags had to be in lockers)

Do you ladies have any problems like this using these types of bags? I really dont want to have to use a pack... My 's big enough without something to make it look larger!!! :ROFLOL:
THanks!!
Even my little backpack purse is fine with me on any ride. There's always either enough room next to you or, like on Big Thunder, I put it on the floor of the cart and just wrap the strap around my knee to keep it in place. No problems!

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Personally, I would never wear a pack, but I can understand why some folks do choose to wear them for the convenience.

They are UGLY but man are they functional...not that I ever wore one. :lookaroun

Now I can make most anything with a pattern but zippers remain my nemesis. I have a mental block with those.

My mom is a very talented seamstress - makes all the costumes for the High School and Jr. High School musical productions every year, made my aunt's wedding dress, etc. and she STILL makes us all leave the room when she puts in a zipper - it requires TOTAL concentration!

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

Oh girl! Lemme just tell you! My mom taught me to knit & crochet when I was 8 or 9. I didn't keep the knitting. I can still crochet. I self-taught hand-sewing when I was 9 or so just because I liked to make things. I had a tiny bit of machine introduction in middle school home economics. Then I married a man who's mother is a highly-skilled seamstress. Now I can make most anything with a pattern but zippers remain my nemesis. I have a mental block with those. In the past year or so I've learned how to take doll clothes patterns and other small patterns and modify them to my liking. I wish I could sit down with other girls and show them this stuff. It's so easy to do. The hard part for me is the patience and time I wish I had to sew more! :wave:

My mom can sew but I never learned. Although back in the day I would have loved to be able to make my own Barbie clothes. Funny thing is, I never in my life thought I'd say: "I just finished knitting a scarf, now I'm moving on to another project!" :lol: I will definitely add some Disney things to my project list...we do have a trip coming up in December...:D Hat for MVMCP? Why yes!

P.S. Where did you find the Cuties fabric? I love it!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

My mom can sew but I never learned. Although back in the day I would have loved to be able to make my own Barbie clothes. Funny thing is, I never in my life thought I'd say: "I just finished knitting a scarf, now I'm moving on to another project!" :lol: I will definitely add some Disney things to my project list...we do have a trip coming up in December...:D Hat for MVMCP? Why yes!

P.S. Where did you find the Cuties fabric? I love it!

Go to eBay and Etsy and search. I'll warn you, they have the coolest Disney fabrics on Etsy. They're from Japan, not sold in the US markets, and are pretty pricey. I've been salivating over that stuff for years. I just can't bring myself to spend $20+ per yard PLUS the international shipping. Seriously. The Disney fabrics in the US are a total joke compared to what they have in the Japanese market!

Upvote 0

bhealthy

I found a great Mickey corss body bag in the stores that are right as you enter World Showcase.. I'll put a link to the pic, but mine is black as a base, not tan. http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/ea/d/AAAAC1-4uskAAAAAAOraDQ.jpg?v=1282939635000
Marie

How recently did you acquire this bag? I'm going end of October and would LOVE this bag:D

I have a small backpack I picked up at a local craft store and added some Disney embellishments and a drawstring bag. The backpack has a pocket for the phone on the front and several zippered compartments. I also place like items in ziploc bags and like bags in particular zippered compartment. Ziplocs are great in case of rain and on water rides :animwink:

Upvote 0

lbrad

I have an assortment of small bags that I only carry at WDW. My favorites are the 2 that I made. They're so perfect. They're the same bag in 2 different fabrics w/different embellishments. See?

photo-2.jpg

This is the one I like bestest:

photo-3.jpg

They have a little velcro tab closure to hold shut. Inside is enough space for the bare essentials and 2 pockets to hold KttW card & id.

photo-4.jpg

It was a very simple pattern that I made these from. I'm sure I altered it somewhat to fit my needs. Like the pockets weren't part of the pattern. I remember bustin' out an old KttW to make sure I had the slots perfect. They're made to be worn cross-body.

100_1303.jpg

The best thing about these bags is how fast you can breeze thru the bag check with them. Walk up, hold it open, and done. No unzipping compartments, digging stuff out to open up, shifting things around, etc. Very simple. Cute. Machine washable. And when you sit down on attractions or to eat you don't even have to take them off. Just shift the little bag forward into your lap and you're set.

:wave:

Very cute ... I love them!!!!

Thanks for the pics/visual ... I think I have a friend that can make one for me
(wish I had talent, like you Sweetpee, but I am all thumbs)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

How recently did you acquire this bag? I'm going end of October and would LOVE this bag:D

I have a small backpack I picked up at a local craft store and added some Disney embellishments and a drawstring bag. The backpack has a pocket for the phone on the front and several zippered compartments. I also place like items in ziploc bags and like bags in particular zippered compartment. Ziplocs are great in case of rain and on water rides :animwink:

I bought this maybe a year and a half ago but I see the bags every time I have been down there since, my most recent trip in May of this year. Marie

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

If you have any trouble locating them check at the World of Disney at DTD. I have had great luck getting almost anything I wanted there. Also there is an information booth in the same room as the watches. If you cant find something or need something in another size, they will look it up for you and tell you where on property it is!!! Incredibly helpful if you ask me. Good luck!! Marie

Upvote 0

soarin

I use a bag from Thirty-One gifts. It is great because it is over the shoulder and I can fit a phone, my camera, rain pouch, and a mini zipper pouch in it with all of my other essentials

Upvote 0

Figments Friend

-

I have three modes of transport depending on needs, my mood, or planned activities.

If i plan on photographing things, or trading a lot of Pins, i bring a small Mickey messenger bag. The size makes it easy compact and easy to flash open for the security check, plush the messenger bag style flap makes displaying Pins a sinch. It fits a large Canon camera, a wallet, plus any other small items ( hairbrush, paper goods, etc.)

I also have a special Stitch pin trader ' pack' styled travel bag that is smaller then a lunch box and straps around your waist, either resting behind on your lower spine or on your hips side of choice. This is handy when you want to travel lighter and still want room to carry a camera and Pins. I rarely use this bag now in the Parks, but it is a neat little bag.

My preffered mode of transport over the past few years has been 'less is more' and i now usually ditch the messenger bag option and go with the very streamlined 'Kids Wallet' mode. I bought one of those pvc molded children's wallets at one of the WDW shops and clip it to my belt loop. It is waterproof for the most part in a rainstorm, holds money and cards..as well as change in a inside zipper pocket. Best of all, it has a clear card holder on the back of it which is perfect for holding your Park ticket or KTTW Card. This is exspecially handy on Extra Magic Hours days/nights when one must show your Resort ID to get on a ride. Just flip the wallet around to show the CM posted at the entrance and you are good to go. No fumbling trying to find the card inside your wallet, or even having to go to effort to even pull it out. Just flash n' go!

I find the kids' wallet is awesome and perfect for my needs when i want to travel fast and light. Another plus - you do not have a bag so can skip the security check!

:)

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

So cute! So creative! Love it :)
When are you starting your Etsy shop? ;)

I was just going to say the same thing!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! That means a lot! Actually, y'all are sorta kickin' me in the pants because I started a new bag months ago but haven't gone back to finish it. I should! And while I'm at it, maybe if I get some free time (likely after my upcoming super-trip) I'll make some more of my cross-body bags from my huge Disney fabric stash and start a little something on Etsy. Lord knows we can put the $$ to good use with all the repairs to the hubby's truck this week. The little bags I was thinking of slightly increasing the size & modifying the strap to an adjustable one. Hhhmmm...food for thought! Thank you!

Get on that now... girl, there's a market out there! And maybe you could make some cute outfits for Duffy too!

:D

Hrm, I think I may have missed those. It's not ringing a bell. They sound cute though! (Oh and you totally should offer some of your Disney bags on Etsy or something. They're adorable!)

Appreciate the support. Surgery is just scary but so far *knock wood* it's all going according to plan so there's no reason to think the surgery won't as well.

A little off topic... but were you the one that made some sort of necklace with the Epcot logo on it or something!?! Did you ever make those after to sell? Because I would totally buy one!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom