Are you 23?

Kamikaze

No kidding. I live in Orange County, about 20 minutes from Disneyland, and even I wouldn't be thrilled at driving up to LA, fighting LA County freeways and crazed Hollywood surface streets, to see this at the El Capitan. Why not tap into the "cutting edge platforms" Bob Iger always talks about and stream this over the Internet to D23 members who log in for a special session?

Because it would be pirated to holy hell?

imamouse

One final thought about the 'special gift' being touted with D23 membership.

I was totally thinking it was going to be a pin (LE, of course) when I caught one of the 'celebrate balloons' commercials while working earlier ... what is the only thing that costs Disney less than pins (or Coke syrup)? Tickets.

They are giving them away as part of the B-Day promo ... and there's no cost to giving them out (Disney gives comps like they are confetti) ... so why not give these 'charter' members a day (or even days) at Disney parks? Hell, if you gave everyone who signed up a 3-day ticket but made it good only in 2009 you might stimulate more spending when you need the revenue ... and it would so easily tie into the current marketing campaign.

Just a thought ...

~I don't want anymore pins~

Nice thought, but I don't see a ticket - even a specially created ticket - as a collectible from the Walt Disney Archives Collection. From the D23 website:

Surprise Collectible Gift: A collectible just for D23 members. You'll receive a gift you'll cherish from the new Walt Disney Archives Collection.

I wonder how many folks signing up for D23 are already AP holders? My guess is they are the majority, but that's just a finger in the wind and nothing more. I agree a multi-day ticket would generate a good deal of revenue in food and merchandise sales, but I just don't see a ticket being the "surprise collectible gift" due to the description on the website.

As a fence sitter, it will be interesting to me to see what this special gift is when the D23 members start receiving theirs. I'm personally not into collectibles or pins, but I am curious as to what D23 has up their sleeves.

For me, D23 is not a matter of money - it's a matter of value. I can cough up $75 without a lump forming in my throat. I just do not see the value in D23 for me - yet. *climbs back on fence to wait and watch some more* :lookaroun

MKCP 1985

Pins are like beanie babies. . . too many to get every one of them and at the end of the day, not really all that big a whoop anyway. :lol: And yes, I have a lanyard full of pins, but that's all - just a single lanyard full. :D

The pin trading shows look like a ton of fun. :king:

I'm guessing the special gift will be a figurine, but that's a pure guess. Probably optimistic on my part. :lol:

If its a pin, well, I guess I'll just have to live with that.

I agree with imamouse that it won't be park tickets. I agree with you that park tickets (for me, personally) would be more appreciated than just about any other single thing they might offer. :shrug:

But I didn't join for the surprise gift, so whatever comes won't make or break me on the thoughts of the club, if that's what it is.

markjohns1

Why not tap into the "cutting edge platforms" Bob Iger always talks about and stream this over the Internet to D23 members who log in for a special session?
Because it would be pirated to holy hell?
Pirate a stream? Make it a "live" event. Stream it for a limited window of time and pull it down. It's not too difficult. It would require a D23 account login to access anyways. Why not have individuals who are part of the projects chat with viewers? An interactive commentary of sorts.

If they streamed content of upcoming projects, even clips, that would likely be enough of an "extra" to convince me to sign up. I still have yet to see the Tron 2 trailer (no interest in seeing a bootleg taping from Comic-Con). How about making the Disney animated shorts available to stream? How about a member's (video) podcast with the interviews that those articles on the site are from?

The D23 site is probably the best thing to come from this so far (although I haven't seen the magazine yet). The articles are some great, free content. I think the website is key in sustaining this effort and could help reduce the Disneyland/CA slant by making more of the benefits accessible to all.

Kamikaze

Pirate a stream? Make it a "live" event. Stream it for a limited window of time and pull it down. It's not too difficult. It would require a D23 account login to access anyways. Why not have individuals who are part of the projects chat with viewers? An interactive commentary of sorts.

Yes, you can record streams.

jakeman

I know you and I have butted heads pretty roughly in this thread and other, but man do I agree with this.

While the pins are a marketing dream and I do buy them on occasion, I half expected to see the "Toliets of the Parks" series or something else ridiculous every time I'm down there.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I know you and I have butted heads pretty roughly in this thread and other, but man do I agree with this.

While the pins are a marketing dream and I do buy them on occasion, I half expected to see the "Toliets of the Parks" series or something else ridiculous every time I'm down there.

I just want one for every attraction, which surprisingly they dont seem to do.

WDW1974

I don't get it at all ... and I when I see CMs in costume with lanyards dangling or those pinsharks setting up shop like at a flea market ... it all gives me a very WalMart vibe. Cheap and tacky beyond all get out.

I thought it was a great idea as part of the Milennium Celebration (it all came out of a trip to the 1994 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan where the Disney team saw how big pintrading was) ... but they just never stopped and now it is beyond ridiculous.

They'll make the exact same pin design and put eight versions out with eight different characters so they can make so much more ...

Then they go and take over shops ... I don't know about you, but when I think of the American Frontier I think about little pieces of metal with Daisy Duck at Epcot or Nemo or the YC or ToT or Space Mountain with Goofy etc ... so I am so glad they got rid of real merchandise at the Frontierland Trading Post to make it a pin shack ... and I am so glad when I look down Hollywood Blvd I can see a BAH with pins underneath because when I think show business ... well, you know it ... I think of pins.

~Wanna trade?~

WDW1974

Oh ... and someone mentioned Tix not being collectibles ... no one told Disney that when it sold me pre-opening commemorative 3-day tix for EPCOT Center in 1982 ... or ToT One-day Disney-MGM comm. tix in '94.

So, they've done it before ... not saying they'll do it here, just that it's possible.

~Yes, I still have both of the above~

markjohns1

Yes, you can record streams.
Meh, still not that big of a deal if you're showing clips/previews or commentaries. Even if it would get pirated, it could prove to increase the buzz for whatever project it's about. The possibility of piracy is a pretty weak reason not to do something. Not everyone is interested in torrents or crappy Youtube videos either.

I don't get it at all ... and I when I see CMs in costume with lanyards dangling or those pinsharks setting up shop like at a flea market ... it all gives me a very WalMart vibe. Cheap and tacky beyond all get out.

I thought it was a great idea as part of the Milennium Celebration (it all came out of a trip to the 1994 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan where the Disney team saw how big pintrading was) ... but they just never stopped and now it is beyond ridiculous.

They'll make the exact same pin design and put eight versions out with eight different characters so they can make so much more ...

Then they go and take over shops ... I don't know about you, but when I think of the American Frontier I think about little pieces of metal with Daisy Duck at Epcot or Nemo or the YC or ToT or Space Mountain with Goofy etc ... so I am so glad they got rid of real merchandise at the Frontierland Trading Post to make it a pin shack ... and I am so glad when I look down Hollywood Blvd I can see a BAH with pins underneath because when I think show business ... well, you know it ... I think of pins.

~Wanna trade?~
I think the activity of pin trading can be fun, especially for kids or as a family. You know, when you're trading for pins you actually want because you like the design, or characters, or the attraction, and not just because of its "value." When you get to the "pinsharks setting up shop like at a flea market," it gets a bit excessive. That's probably why we only trade with CMs. I find the pinsharks conjure images of a comic book store or something equivalent, usually involving lots of black t-shirts and ponytails.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I don't know about you, but when I think of the American Frontier I think about little pieces of metal with Daisy Duck at Epcot or Nemo or the YC or ToT or Space Mountain with Goofy etc ... so I am so glad they got rid of real merchandise at the Frontierland Trading Post to make it a pin shack ...

I'm completely with you on this one.

Pin carts are as ubiquitous as DVC shill-shacks.

Kamikaze

Meh, still not that big of a deal if you're showing clips/previews or commentaries. Even if it would get pirated, it could prove to increase the buzz for whatever project it's about. The possibility of piracy is a pretty weak reason not to do something. Not everyone is interested in torrents or crappy Youtube videos either.

The discussion was about streaming a preview of 'Up' over the net.

markjohns1

The discussion was about streaming a preview of 'Up' over the net.
Which is why I said, contributing to the discussion:
If they streamed content of upcoming projects, even clips, that would likely be enough of an "extra" to convince me to sign up. I still have yet to see the Tron 2 trailer (no interest in seeing a bootleg taping from Comic-Con). How about making the Disney animated shorts available to stream? How about a member's (video) podcast with the interviews that those articles on the site are from?
If they're concerned about piracy of entire films, show clips, trailers, or extras/featurettes. Or how about shorts, old Disney Parks specials... anything that's in those archives? The point remains, the potential for piracy always exists, and is a flimsy reason to avoid doing something these days. And my other point remains: If they included this kind of content it would easily convince me to sign up for D23.

DonaldD1987

Does anyone know if the magazine is out in stores? I know that they are going to sell it in Barnes and Noble, but where else besides disneyshopping.com?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom