Are you 23?

hrcollectibles

If Disney had any plans to extend or add any benefits later, would it not make scene to hint at them now? They don't have to be specific but saying something like "Discounts on park experiences!" or "exclusive film titles form the vault!" might generate more excitement/interest than keeping quiet, and waiting to see what happens. It's this reluctance to even hint at anything (which doesn't exist in other Disney clubs) which makes me think that there isn't much this fan club has to offer.

We may not all agree on the value or content, but I think we can all agree that they could do with some new/different people or ideas in marketing for this.

But if they did say those things and it never happened then they would be lying. I think they are waiting to see the response (subscriptions) they receive before deciding on more benefits. I just want to know why the focus seems to be on Disneyland. I am not aware of any events that took place on March 10 at Walt Disney World. Also does anyone know if you can purchase this membership at the parks?

TP2000

Wow. I just read todays Al Lutz article over on Miceage. He just summed it all up beautifully, with help from Werner Weiss. Go read it if you haven't, because it's great!

The information about the buttons handed out on Main Street on Saturday (when all of the AP's are blocked out) was a classic tale and a perfect example of how they got this launch all wrong.

Did they have smiling hostesses distributing buttons on Main Street USA at the Magic Kingdom this past Saturday? Or was that really just a Disneyland thing? Is there a D23 artist signing event planned for WDW? :confused:

Animaniac93-98

But if they did say those things and it never happened then they would be lying. I think they are waiting to see the response (subscriptions) they receive before deciding on more benefits. I just want to know why the focus seems to be on Disneyland. I am not aware of any events that took place on March 10 at Walt Disney World. Also does anyone know if you can purchase this membership at the parks?

It wouldn't be the first time for Disney. I'd rather they make an effort to try an appeal to people than just wait and see what some poor marketing might achieve.

To answer your question, the magazine can be purchased at the parks, plus Disney Store, disneyshopping.com and Barns and Nobel. It's $15.95 at each location.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You can only buy the membership on-line.

EpcotServo

You can only buy the membership on-line.

Are you sure? In THIS Micege Picture, it says "Also Available" and lists the parks...

Maybe if they did it would cut down on the shipping costs, but I'd think if they sold it at the parks they'd still charge you to ship the certificate...

:shrug:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Are you sure? In THIS Micege Picture, it says "Also Available" and lists the parks...

Maybe if they did it would cut down on the shipping costs, but I'd think if they sold it at the parks they'd still charge you to ship the certificate...

The D23 Terms and Conditions say:

"To enroll in the Program, you must have access to the Internet and a valid email address."

Animaniac93-98

I think the "also available at" refers to the magazine itself and product line (both of which, for example are sold at the Disneyanna shop on Main Street at Disneyland, and the magazine can be bought at D Store).

GothMickey

If Disney had any plans to extend or add any benefits later, would it not make scene to hint at them now? They don't have to be specific but saying something like "Discounts on park experiences!" or "exclusive film titles form the vault!" might generate more excitement/interest than keeping quiet, and waiting to see what happens. It's this reluctance to even hint at anything (which doesn't exist in other Disney clubs) which makes me think that there isn't much this fan club has to offer.

We may not all agree on the value or content, but I think we can all agree that they could do with some new/different people or ideas in marketing for this.

Exactly, the fact alone that they are not doing that speaks wonders.

And yep, this started out great...and the petered out.

A

It wouldn't be the first time for Disney. I'd rather they make an effort to try an appeal to people than just wait and see what some poor marketing might achieve.

To answer your question, the magazine can be purchased at the parks, plus Disney Store, disneyshopping.com and Barns and Nobel. It's $15.95 at each location.

And the same people who are on here complaining about Disney not knowing what the fans want, or not knowing what they are doing, or not adding substance to D23 will be on here continuing their complaining. And don't say you all wouldn't complain. You know you would. :)

(P.S. I'd join ya if that were the case).

EPCOT Explorer

And the same people who are on here complaining about Disney not knowing what the fans want, or not knowing what they are doing, or not adding substance to D23 will be on here continuing their complaining. And don't say you all wouldn't complain. You know you would. :)

(P.S. I'd join ya if that were the case).

The only thing I would be upset about is that they didn't tell us sooner. Seriously. It's their loss.:shrug:

MKCP 1985

That's great.
If you live near the El Capitan.

:lol: I think I'll wait until they get all the details worked out to see whether its something I can take advantage of. If not, there will probably be other events. That's the way it looks to be shaping up.

What I am beginning to see is more content being made available at disney.com for the enjoyment of people who visit the site. That's a good thing.

WDW1974

Pretty interesting read. I especially liked Werner's take.

Agreed.

He very succinctly and quite rationally and eloquently explained why many of us aren't enthused by D23.

I actually liked the fact that Lutz pretty much stepped aside and let Werner do the talking.

And I really agreed with pretty much all that was said.

BTW ... for Adam and others ... www.talesfromthelaughingplace.com

~Leemac owes me dinner for pimping his rag!~

WDW1974

Regardless of what the term means to the people at WDI, a simple read though some of the message here clearly shows it has a negative connotation. Or at least a connotation of one who is wear glasses so rosy they cannot see anything except sunshine and rainbows in Dinsey.

From Wikipedia (lord its come to this, I am using Wikipedia as a reference)

You should quietly go hang yourself. (that's a joke for those who don't get sarcasm)

Fanboy is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

In the common parlance, it carries a sense of obsession and of blind love for the thing the person is a fan of.

I don't consider that far off. And I don't even think it is negative. Fan does come from fanatic. I think Disney fanbois have a lot more common sense than say NY Giants fans who are out in the Meadowlands in December with no shirts and body paint on!

It's kind of like 'geek' ... I've always considered myself a Disney geek and I don't feel that's a bad thing.

Hell, I am posting on a Disney fan site. I would think anyone posting here, no matter what they say or whether they find offense in the term (and let's face it, there's a certain segment in every audience that lives to find perceived insults even where they don't exist), is a Disney geek. ... ANd oh I can't believe I am typing this ... please someone start a thread about something of substance ... anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, not a shot. In fact I have had some of the more intellegent discussion with you in the past. While you and I don't always agree, we both seem to have real world experence in both business and life in general.

It seems that many have jumped on this "put down D23" bandwagon because it seems what all the cool kids are doing. Maybe they have become D64 Fanbois. :)

You are right though, there really has not been much to talk about comming out of TWDC as of late. Especially in the parks department.

I will even go so far as to agree that D23 is not much to talk about. It's really a blip on the radar and a PR failure. I joined it because it looked interesting and the price was not a roadblock (to me). Plain and simple, thats it. I didn't join because I am a fanboy, I didn't join because i have blinders on, and I didn't join because of some strange idea that it makes me elite.

So, lets pick a new subject. Somthing a little less loaded. Ideas anyone ?

-dave

First, I apologize for thinking it was a shot ... there's a few others here who enjoy hurling them in my direction. And you're right, we do have a mutual respect and agree on most things Disney from that other site (that I went back to today out of sheer boredom while working!)

I do want to go on the record, however, that I am not Jay Rasulo's kitty 'George' and have never claimed otherwise!

Well, the big news on the Disney P&R front these days would be the DCA makeover (hope to get out there in May and check it out), Monsters: Ride and Go Seek debuting in TDL (hope to get there this fall!), DSP announcing its mini Toy Story land (hope to get there too this spring!) and Disney playing games with the HK SAR government and firing 75% of WDI's HKDL staff yesterday ... but none of that will likely last on this board and I have noticed on this site that this board is the one where the action really is.

So ... there's plenty for Disney park fans to get excited about, but at WDW ... you wanna talk about Idol?

Here's something I've been thinking about today as I keep getting email offers from WDW ... they have some folks in marketing that really have no clue ... I keep getting offers touting 39% and 49% discounts ... this isn't retail where $3.99 is better than $4.00. You offer 40% or 50% discounts and those numbers jump out at potential guests. They 'sound' better even if the $$$ difference is tiny. Don't know why, but it just seems so stupid to anyone who has taken any marketing courses (I have) or done any consulting (bingo!). Again, am I missing something?

~Seriously, got nothing~

WDW1974

One final thought about the 'special gift' being touted with D23 membership.

I was totally thinking it was going to be a pin (LE, of course) when I caught one of the 'celebrate balloons' commercials while working earlier ... what is the only thing that costs Disney less than pins (or Coke syrup)? Tickets.

They are giving them away as part of the B-Day promo ... and there's no cost to giving them out (Disney gives comps like they are confetti) ... so why not give these 'charter' members a day (or even days) at Disney parks? Hell, if you gave everyone who signed up a 3-day ticket but made it good only in 2009 you might stimulate more spending when you need the revenue ... and it would so easily tie into the current marketing campaign.

Just a thought ...

~I don't want anymore pins~

TP2000

That's great. If you live near the El Capitan.

No kidding. I live in Orange County, about 20 minutes from Disneyland, and even I wouldn't be thrilled at driving up to LA, fighting LA County freeways and crazed Hollywood surface streets, to see this at the El Capitan. Why not tap into the "cutting edge platforms" Bob Iger always talks about and stream this over the Internet to D23 members who log in for a special session?

Personally, I try not to go north of the Riverside Freeway in OC as the freeways and congestion up in LA County just get more horendous with every mile you travel northbound. Heck, when I go to the LA Auto Show every year, I take the TRAIN from Anaheim to LA and then the subway to the convention center!

Yet again however, here's an example of D23 being centered almost exclusively on Disneyland and Hollywood. I can't wait to see them start piling on more D23 stuff in a frenzy to save this floundering concept, and see if it's tours of the Walt Disney Studios or Animation building in Burbank, open house at the WDI campus in Glendale, etc.

Hopefully they can get some D23 events fired up out in WDW to engage the fans outside of SoCal. :eek:

TP2000

He very succinctly and quite rationally and eloquently explained why many of us aren't enthused by D23.

I actually liked the fact that Lutz pretty much stepped aside and let Werner do the talking.

It was certainly much more informative and enlightening than the similar article from Jim Hill the day before.

Mr. Hill only seemed to parse and quote the letter from Mr. Clark on the front page of the D23 magazine, and then slide in a few fawning comments at the end.

Unlike Mr. Hill, the Miceage article on D23 dove in at the deep end of the pool and offered up some excellent analysis. One of the better Lutz articles I've read in recent months.

EPCOT Explorer

One final thought about the 'special gift' being touted with D23 membership.

I was totally thinking it was going to be a pin (LE, of course) when I caught one of the 'celebrate balloons' commercials while working earlier ... what is the only thing that costs Disney less than pins (or Coke syrup)? Tickets.

They are giving them away as part of the B-Day promo ... and there's no cost to giving them out (Disney gives comps like they are confetti) ... so why not give these 'charter' members a day (or even days) at Disney parks? Hell, if you gave everyone who signed up a 3-day ticket but made it good only in 2009 you might stimulate more spending when you need the revenue ... and it would so easily tie into the current marketing campaign.

Just a thought ...

~I don't want anymore pins~
Hmmm...That might make it a bit more worth it.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom