Are you 23?

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
It sounds like you're questioning motives under the 'guise' of being a fairer, more open-minded fan.

I do consider myself fairly open-minded. I at least wait until I can see something in person before judging it.

The simple fact is this:

There is very little perspective on this board. Everything is a pendulum swing from the best thing that Disney ever did to, more often than not, a horrible idea made by horrible management.

Judgements are passed before products make it out the door. Decisions made by the company are evaluated in a vacuum, with any factors that don't support a certain point of view ignored.

I am also an open-minded spirit. I don't like American Idol. I have never watched one episode of it. It's not my thing.

I wasn't happy to hear about the AIE opening at TPFKaTD-MGMS. But I said I'd reserve definitive judgment until I experienced it.

Guess what?

I enjoyed it. Quite a bit. Thought it was very well done for what it was (and I've been around enough REAL TV production to know the difference between REAL and 'made for theme park') ... I think it adds quality and value to a visit to that park.

I still don't believe it is why people visit a Disney park. And I don't think things like this (or the very enjoyable Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure) should be passed off as major additions vs. immersive highly-themed attractions.

But I won't rip them because they were quality.

As for your statememt about the board, I disagree. There's plenty of perspective on this site. You just may not like it. I am in the media/entertainment industry in the REAL world. I know many of the players behind the scenes or folks who do. And that's what I formulate my opinions based on.

WDW is run by a largely lousy exec team. That's my perspective based on lots of knowledge and observations and conversations over decades. And, yes, it's through that prism that I view what happens at WDW.

But that doesn't prevent me from having an open mind about things. I can and am wrong at times. And my mind can be changed about things.

Just not the fundamental things.

I was warned when I came to this site that it was loaded with 'foamers' and 'kool-aid drinkers' etc ... while that is the case with some, I don't believe it is the majority. I think there's lots of interesting perspectives and opinions here.

So long as we aren't talking about the AC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
That seems like a terribly ignorant viewpoint. I hope you don't have it. That's almost as bad as those high on pixie dust fanbois who think Disney can do no wrong.

It's almost as ignorant as claiming one knows what's best for the company with only information gained by internet boards and hersey.

It sure is. And that's why I tend to discount those viewpoints. I like to base my opinions on facts, knowledge/observation and views of those on the inside ... not internet boards or hearsay.

~WDW: Magic Discounted Daily!~

WDW1974

Yep after 24 hours we can definitely declare this a failure. We shouldn't give it time to expand or, heaven forbid, experience for ourselves. We should just look at some pictures online, read what other people are saying and then call it a day.

People can decide for themselves whether or not this is a failure ... and they will with their $$$.

But if some of us already have decided we don't like the product that's fine too. I didn't need to spend years shopping at WalMart to decide I didn't like it. I didn't need to own 15 American cars to decide they were crap compared tp autos from Japan and Germany. I didn't need eight years to realize that maybe the government 'leadership' was anything but.

I've read enough ... saw enough and know enough to come to a reasoned decision that D23 is a sad attempt by Disney to go after the fanboi community with the type of effort they should have showed in 1999 not 2009 ... now, it comes off as too little, way too late and, price-wise, offensive in the tough economic times we're under.

So ... one of their top consultants puts out Tales From the Laughing Place and five years later Disney decides a glossy fanzine is a good idea (all the while ignoring anything but stateside stuff because we know fans aren't interested in what Disney is doing in China, France and Japan).

So ... after years of selling nothing but crap, they decide now is the time for high-end merchandise because really in a depression what you need is an $849 Disney pen to respond to your collection notices.

So ... after giving up on Disneyana Conventions, Disney decides it wants to go after the NFFC head-to-head (good luck) with its own 'event.'

So ... you can get worthless little extras to feel 'special' as a fan for your $75.

OK ... so I've seen enough. I'll pass. And I will bet you here and now this thing doesn't exist in its current form in five years.

~D23: Coming Soon: The WDW Exec Swimsuit Issue!~

WDW1974

I'd pay a whole lot more than $75 to see 74, Lutz, Yee, Hill, Lee, leemac, et al. duke it out on an official WDW discussion forum.

Hah!

I'd love to actually go at it with Al. I have tried to communicate with him a couple of times, but he ignores my email.

I have a feeling it's because he can't handle the truth that 'the heroin monkey' that he terms DCA is responsible for saving DL in Anaheim.

Kevin and I have had frequent online and offline communications. I don't always agree with him, but I do know he means well and tries to be fair (something I often fault him for, btw).

Lee and I get along just fine, whether or not we agree and have a mutual respect.

And Leemac and I ... some of our back-and-forths on LP.com are the stuff of fanboi legend.:eek: (had to use that) ... He is a very intelligent, articulate guy ... and I greatly respect the breadth of his Disney knowledge. I just view much of what he says through a prism of healthy skepticism since he gets paychecks from Mickey. But he knows his stuff.

~Likes DCA and isn't ashamed to say it!~

EPCOT Explorer

People can decide for themselves whether or not this is a failure ... and they will with their $$$.

But if some of us already have decided we don't like the product that's fine too. I didn't need to spend years shopping at WalMart to decide I didn't like it. I didn't need to own 15 American cars to decide they were crap compared tp autos from Japan and Germany. I didn't need eight years to realize that maybe the government 'leadership' was anything but.

I've read enough ... saw enough and know enough to come to a reasoned decision that D23 is a sad attempt by Disney to go after the fanboi community with the type of effort they should have showed in 1999 not 2009 ... now, it comes off as too little, way too late and, price-wise, offensive in the tough economic times we're under.

So ... one of their top consultants puts out Tales From the Laughing Place and five years later Disney decides a glossy fanzine is a good idea (all the while ignoring anything but stateside stuff because we know fans aren't interested in what Disney is doing in China, France and Japan).

So ... after years of selling nothing but crap, they decide now is the time for high-end merchandise because really in a depression what you need is an $849 Disney pen to respond to your collection notices.

So ... after giving up on Disneyana Conventions, Disney decides it wants to go after the NFFC head-to-head (good luck) with its own 'event.'

So ... you can get worthless little extras to feel 'special' as a fan for your $75.

OK ... so I've seen enough. I'll pass. And I will bet you here and now this thing doesn't exist in its current form in five years.

~D23: Coming Soon: The WDW Exec Swimsuit Issue!~
Fantastically said!

Spoken like a true D64:wave:

WDW1974

I guess I wasn't the only one to see Tales' design ethic in this new magazine from Disney.

Personally I'd take Tales every time - far more detailed but then I don't like the puff piece approach - I'd take quality over quantity of articles any day. Plus Tales looks cheap at $9 per issue compared with this D23 thing. Tales is worth it alone for all of the artwork that they get from the WDI Archives. I've let to come across any magazine or book that has as much original artwork - the Disney books especially always seem to regurgitate images from book to book.

I'll skip the club too - $75 for the magazine is just too high. I won't be getting any value out all of the rest of the club. I'm far from a merch pack rat.

For anyone not familiar with the mag I'd definitely recommend it:

http://www.talesfromthelaughingplace.com

Ah ... Lee MacDonald's spokesman is back.

I agree that Tales is the best publication going for fans of TWDC as a whole out there. The E-Ticket is best for DL and its history.

I noticed on LP.com that Lee and Lindsay have been silent on D23, which is telling ... I can't imagine they are happy that Disney is 'borrowing' the idea for the fanzine ... and at the same time they can't come out and say anything negative about it because I think it's very safe to assume they make a whole lot more from Lee's gig working for Disney than from putting out a nice product for fans.

~Nick Franklin reads Tales!~

WDW1974

I doubt it's something as master-planned as that. I think Disney knows the bulk of its big spending Disneyana collectors are based in SoCal. They swarm Disneyland every weekend for special releases it seems, and there's one this Saturday for the first batch of signed D23 merchandise with the artist.

I think the 4 years of Expo's in Anaheim could just be a nod to the local fan base, and the result of a sweet deal with the huge Anaheim Convention Center to secure space long term on the cheap. It's likely no more cynical than a package deal with the convention center.

I am sure that is the case ... there are more people in SoCal that regularly buy high end Disney art than in O-Town.

An event in Anaheim is likely to attract more interest, more people and more money than one held in O-Town.

~The REAL OC: More Disney Geeks With Money!~

WDW1974

Honestly, I don't think the company will freak out if Lutz mentions it. It would take Jim Hill, Lou Mongello, Matt Hochberg, Mike Scopa, Len Testa, Mike Newell, Deb Wills, etc. to get the ball really rolling. If all the big names in the community started mentioning it and making a big deal, something would happen.

It would take all of the above AND the powers at Disney-friendly sites like LP.com and Mouseplanet.com ripping it to shreds.

They are used to Al. Doesn't mean they like him ... there are folks at Disney who would like to read his obit (really).

But he's a known.

They've never had a mass campaign of online sites ripping them for anything ... and they've created the Social Media department to basically ensure it never happens. That they control a vast amount of 'fan' sites through their 'goodwill' ... and things like interviews/access to Imagineers and C-List celebs and invites to alleged 'media' shindigs like the Idol premiere.

~I like cookies!~

CaptainMichael

They don't want us to know about the quality additions in those regions...:lookaroun

hrcollectibles

THe Expo will prove how many people are willing to pay money for it and than actually show up to it. If it fails, D23 fails.

Al hit Small World right. The whole cloak and dagger thing about the reason the ride closed is what radiated so much with society. Since Disney didn't tell everyone that we (as a society) were too big to ride it anymore, it worked out great for Al's spill the beans style. I don't think this issue will prove to be similar at all. Kind of the same way his stance on the characters being added hasn't gained near the traction some might have thought it would've. Once again, just my opinion.

What ride?

Don't you have to be a member to get in?

No you don't have to be a member you get a whopping $6 discount on the EXPO admission

What does TPFKaTD-MGMS? Mean

WDW1974

Because Al's reporting of IASW prompted an unprecedented, public response from TWDC.

It wasn't a one-shot deal ...

Al has 'covered' things from deaths in the parks to the disasterous 'thinking' that birthed DCA to adding Pirates to ... Pirates and TSI ... to so many other things that required responses by TDA or Burbank/Glendale.

Al is no fool and he knows what he is doing. He also has better sources/connections at DLR than anyone online ... anyone who doesn't work for TWDC anyway.

~74 Luvs Al ... I mean All~

WDW1974

They don't want us to know about the quality additions in those regions...:lookaroun

Of course they don't.

Most fanbois are lucky if they can even make it to DL ... I think most would be shocked by the products Disney puts out in Tokyo, Paris and, yes, even Hong Kong.

I understand. I was once one of them.

Then ... way back in 1990 I made my first visit to DL during its amazing 35th Anniversary Celebration ... that started to open my eyes (and in those days, WDW was pretty damn good in every aspect).

~Disney Magic is International~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom