Are you 23?

markjohns1

Not to mention the fact that subscriptions are always significantly cheaper (40% or more). Face value is misleading.
Does the D23 magazine have advertisements for anything other than TWDC properties? That's why subscriptions are cheaper. The more subscribers, the more ad revenue they can generate. If there are no ads like in a traditional magazine, face value really isn't misleading.

jakeman

Sorry I couldn't quote you TP2000. I'm on my phone.

So basically what you are saying is that you didn't like what they were offering and decided not to join. Also since a vocal minority of the posters on this board have decided not to either it is a failure?

The people here represent a fraction of a fraction of peope who are interested in the Walt Disney Company.

You know what happened, everyone here built up what they wanted it to be in their mind and when it turned out to be something different they got upset and rebelled. There may or may not be a problem with D23, but to say either way hours after it is launched is I'll informed and presumptive.

MouseMadness

So basically what you are saying is that you didn't like what they were offering and decided not to join. Also since a vocal minority of the posters on this board have decided not to either it is a failure?

The people here represent a fraction of a fraction of peope who are interested in the Walt Disney Company.

You know what happened, everyone here built up what they wanted it to be in their mind and when it turned out to be something different they got upset and rebelled. There may or may not be a problem with D23, but to say either way hours after it is launched is I'll informed and presumptive

:lol: I think you're on to something :lookaroun

I hadn't ventured onto these boards in ages, so I hadn't heard of it til Tuesday night :lookaroun :eek: I gotta say, I think it's kinda cool :shrug:

TP2000

There may or may not be a problem with D23, but to say either way hours after it is launched is I'll informed and presumptive.

We should be their biggest customers, and yet a big chunk of us passed on it once we found out what it was. Even those who have joined have an attitude of "I'll do it for a year and see what it's like I guess". That's not a ringing endorsement of this new business plan from Disney. :)

My hunch is that if we see Disney start courting the online amateur fan base, even inviting their Miceage arch-enemies like Al Lutz and Kevin Yee for interviews and schmoozy sit-downs in Burbank, let alone the more fawning fan sites like LP and MP, then we'll know Disney is panicking over this one.

They tried to launch D23 on their own without a single attempt to include the huge online fans they already have on independent sites. They got Iger and Lasseter doing a puff piece on The View, but didn't do a thing to have the fan sites help launch this, where the biggest collection of potential D23 customers are hanging out every day?!? If they start going to those types of fan websites for publicity and exposure, we'll know this shaky launch of D23 didn't go well for them.

I say that with a growing hunch the launch wasn't what they expected. :cool:

It's certainly a "keepsake" magazine! I'm only on my second issue but I look forward to it coming all ready. Great pictures, layout,... makes a nice coffee table magazine!

I guess I wasn't the only one to see Tales' design ethic in this new magazine from Disney.

Personally I'd take Tales every time - far more detailed but then I don't like the puff piece approach - I'd take quality over quantity of articles any day. Plus Tales looks cheap at $9 per issue compared with this D23 thing. Tales is worth it alone for all of the artwork that they get from the WDI Archives. I've let to come across any magazine or book that has as much original artwork - the Disney books especially always seem to regurgitate images from book to book.

I'll skip the club too - $75 for the magazine is just too high. I won't be getting any value out all of the rest of the club. I'm far from a merch pack rat.

For anyone not familiar with the mag I'd definitely recommend it:

http://www.talesfromthelaughingplace.com

jakeman

We should be their biggest customers, and yet a big chunk of us passed on it once we found out what it was. Even those who have joined have an attitude of "I'll do it for a year and see what it's like I guess". That's not a ringing endorsement of this new business plan from Disney. :)

My hunch is that if we see Disney start courting the online amateur fan base, even inviting their Miceage arch-enemies like Al Lutz and Kevin Yee for interviews and schmoozy sit-downs in Burbank, let alone the more fawning fan sites like LP and MP, then we'll know Disney is panicking over this one.

They tried to launch D23 on their own without a single attempt to include the huge online fans they already have on independent sites. They got Iger and Lasseter doing a puff piece on The View, but didn't do a thing to have the fan sites help launch this, where the biggest collection of potential D23 customers are hanging out every day?!? If they start going to those types of fan websites for publicity and exposure, we'll know this shaky launch of D23 didn't go well for them.

I say that with a growing hunch the launch wasn't what they expected. :cool:
It's interesting, because the more you post the more it comes across that you are upset you or the site you visit weren't included in the launch. You know what that tells me? That the fan base that thinks it is so important and so influential...isn't really.

DoctorPrius

You know what happened, everyone here built up what they wanted it to be in their mind and when it turned out to be something different they got upset and rebelled. There may or may not be a problem with D23, but to say either way hours after it is launched is I'll informed and presumptive.

Absoluetly untrue. I wasn't really paying attention to the rumors and when it was announced I actually went to the website with interest but after spending a few minutes looking at the details I jsut felt it was an absoluete ripoff. Yor paying $75 for content you can get for free on the internet (with better inside scoop information) just printed in magazine form and the only other perks are the privilege to buy extremly overpriced merchandise and a $6 "discount" to go to some event in anaheim.

Iger says this is for the fans but to me it seems like this was designed to milk the disney diehards and try to squeeze even more out of them while offering them less.

You can defend it all you want but people aren't wasting their time complaining for no reason. It's a very fair argument that Disney has done a poor job here.

imamouse

They are doing the Expo for the next four years in Anaheim? Wow, I would have thought it would go to Orlando at least every other year.

Personally, the Expo is the only part of D23 that interests me. But wait, you don't have to be a D23 member to get in to the Expo! You just get a six dollar discount on an Expo day ticket if you are a D23 member. :lol:

For East Coasters, the Anaheim Convention Center is the largest on the West Coast, newly remodeled, and is literally across the street from Disneyland. You can walk across Katella Avenue from the Convention Center and either walk 10 minutes to the Disneyland entrance, or catch a free parking lot tram from the Timon Lot to the Disneyland/DCA Main Entrance Esplanade. It's ridiculously convenient to Disneyland and several major convention hotels surrounding it. http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com

The outline and itinerary for the multi-day Expo thing sounds very cool, especially the exhibits and pavilions dedicated to all of the different divisions of the Walt Disney Company. And the executive presentations given in the Anaheim Convention Center Arena sound promising. I can't wait to hear John Lasseter gush off the cuff about how cool he thinks Disneyland is, and watch Jay Rasulo read his PowerPoint talking points like an animatronic! :lol:

I'll probably be at the Expo for a day this September, since the Anaheim Convention Center is only a 20 minute drive from my house. And I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra six bucks for a ticket instead of getting the D23 discount rate. :cool:

But how odd that they have already dedicated the D23 Expo to Anaheim through 2012. Maybe John Lasseter had something to do with that? :eek:

The expo dates hit me right between the eyes. It seems odd that the next 4 expos will be in Anaheim. It's as if it's Disneyland23, not Disney23. What about non-CA Disney fans? Perhaps the 4 CA Expos is a way to lure visitors to DCA while it resembles a walled city?

I wonder what the significance of 4 years is relative to D23? Is that the amount of time it will take to develop and open a Disney Museum? Then what happens to D23? Does it fade away to be "replaced" by a permanent fan "site" (museum) or will it hang around as a marketing vehicle and to sell merch?

TP2000

It's interesting, because the more you post the more it comes across that you are upset you or the site you visit weren't included in the launch. You know what that tells me? That the fan base that thinks it is so important and so influential...isn't really.

Perhaps I'm just cynical as a Californian. :lol:

We've seen an endless tream of "pay to play" events at Disneyland since the late 1990's branded as "Merchandise Events". They are usually built around major E Tickets, and include packages with hotels/meals/conferences where you pay money to attend so that you have the privelege of buying high priced collectibles. There's another one coming up in August for the 40th Anniversary of Haunted Mansion, and it has all the standard components and big ticket price to get in the door, just so you can buy more merchandise.

This D23 thing seems to have taken that Disneyland "Merchandise Event" concept to a nationwide and companywide status. I will await a panicky attempt by Disney to include the California based fan websites in their tweaked sales pitch that is sure to come.

TP2000

I wonder what the significance of 4 years is relative to D23? Is that the amount of time it will take to develop and open a Disney Museum? Then what happens to D23? Does it fade away to be "replaced" by a permanent fan "site" (museum) or will it hang around as a marketing vehicle and to sell merch? [/COLOR][/FONT]

I doubt it's something as master-planned as that. I think Disney knows the bulk of its big spending Disneyana collectors are based in SoCal. They swarm Disneyland every weekend for special releases it seems, and there's one this Saturday for the first batch of signed D23 merchandise with the artist.

I think the 4 years of Expo's in Anaheim could just be a nod to the local fan base, and the result of a sweet deal with the huge Anaheim Convention Center to secure space long term on the cheap. It's likely no more cynical than a package deal with the convention center.

MousDad

Everything you said was reasonable and I have no problem with - except the bolded part.

They are responsible for the build up, because they started it.

I'm sorry, but to have whole suspense thing with countdowns (that count down to nothing and then start reversing counting), and mystery, and promised emails (that end up going 8 hours late into people's spam folders) - don't blame that on the fans.

jakeman

Is that why Marty Sklar and Dave Smith began day 1 of the campaign by rigidly defending it as "not being about merchandising?"
Maybe the people who congregate to these boards don't matter enought to be mentioned.

Perhaps the shrillness and bluster of posters here and elsewhere have so tarnished the image of fans like us, there is no credibility anymore; so there is no use in addressing them.

MousDad said:
They are responsible for the build up, because they started it.
No, you are responsible for the way you react. There were no details given ahead of time. Everything was speculation. When that speculation turned out to be something you (plural) didn't expect you got mad. That's not the companies fault.

If there were technical difficulties, that's a valid complaint and one that should be address with the company. I'm not going to argue that.

Matpez

Maybe the people who congregate to these boards don't matter enought to be mentioned.

Perhaps the shrillness and bluster of posters here and elsewhere have so tarnished the image of fans like us, there is no credibility anymore; so there is no use in addressing them.

Yet they blatantly took posts from THIS VERY THREAD on WDWMagic to use in an article about their marketing campaign.
Proving who they believe the target to be.

jakeman

Yet they blatantly took posts from THIS VERY THREAD on WDWMagic to use in an article about their marketing campaign.
Proving who they believe the target to be.
That doesn't prove anything other than they know this site exist.

I can take a quote from the soccer section of ESPN but that doesn't mean I like or care about soccer.

hrcollectibles

Perhaps I'm just cynical as a Californian. :lol:

We've seen an endless tream of "pay to play" events at Disneyland since the late 1990's branded as "Merchandise Events". They are usually built around major E Tickets, and include packages with hotels/meals/conferences where you pay money to attend so that you have the privelege of buying high priced collectibles. There's another one coming up in August for the 40th Anniversary of Haunted Mansion, and it has all the standard components and big ticket price to get in the door, just so you can buy more merchandise.

This D23 thing seems to have taken that Disneyland "Merchandise Event" concept to a nationwide and companywide status. I will await a panicky attempt by Disney to include the California based fan websites in their tweaked sales pitch that is sure to come.

Actually the Haunted Mansion 40th Celebration is on 09/09/09. And is it any coincidence that the first D23 Expo begins on 9/10.. I think they should have alternated sites Disneyland one year and the Walt Disney World the next

MousDad

When that speculation turned out to be something you (plural) didn't expect you got mad. That's not the companies fault.

Actually, I don't think the problem is that it turned out to be something we didn't expect. The problem is that (sadly) it did turn out to be what we expected.

Hey, if this is only the beginning, and it grows into something really cool for the fans, I have an open mind.

I'm a fan, Disney. Make me want to join your club. Bring it on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom