Are you 23?

They don't want us to know about the quality additions in those regions...:lookaroun

I think that is a good point - the Company has never been very good at communicating what is happening in Paris, Tokyo or Hong Kong. Almost as if they see it as real competition - and I'm sure they can't be. The vast majority of guests just aren't going to flip DLR or WDW for any of those resorts based solely on the quality of the product. They should be proud of their accomplishments in those locations.

The Jubilation parade at Tokyo Disneyland looks breath-taking - a real tour-de-force by Steven Davison and that should be shared with the Disney community. I'm glad I have had the opportunity to see it and have magazines like Disney Fan and Tales to remind me of how spectacular it is.

jt04

I wasn't talking about you. I don't really care who you know or how many names you can drop into a conversation. I don't care who is a nice guy or how many of the exec's cookouts you've been to.

If we are going to discuss something, then we can use facts that either support or deconstruct a position. Wild swings in opinions based on nothing but speculation (not saying that you do this) add nothing of value to the conversation except for derailing it (which admittedly is what we have done here).

I usually can tell when an argument is supported by facts (even if I am not privy to them) or is just an opinion being touted as fact. That's the issue I have.

Someone yelling this is a failure, literally hours after it is launched is the lack of perspective I'm referring to.

With this particular issue, it appears, with the facts I have right now, to be an interesting idea that may grow into something worthwhile, but the entry price may be to steep to warrent consideration at this time. I'll look into more this weekend when I have time and it may change my mind. However, I can also acknowledge that this is just an opinion and I don't know enough to make a judgement or more importantly, defend that judgement to others.

I agree with you. I think Disney had to create a high end fan club and events. They would have been negligent not to. Not really sure what the uproar is about. :shrug:

Animaniac93-98

D23 isn't bringing back Vault Disney or making Disney Channel suitable for anyone over age 14

D23 isn't producing more copies of WDT sets

D23 will not finish or raise the quality of various Disney TV show releases on DVD

D23 will not end the practice of DMC exclusive titles or start the proper release or restoration of many poorly done or never released Disney film/TV material (no Child of Glass or Mr. Boogedy for you!)

D23 isn't making the Disney Store the kind of place to be proud of

D23 isn't fixing neglected/stale areas, attractions, shows etc. of Disney Theme Parks, or finishing SSE any faster

D23 isn't putting more park specific merchandise in the parks

D23 isn't releasing Song of the South

D23 isn't making it easier to go on a Disney vacation of any kind

D23 does not replace the annual Disneyanna conventions

D23 does not help you save money on any Disney product whatsoever

The examples above are of things I've seen time and time again complained about on multiple Disney forums. If D23 is menat to "reach out to the fans" how is it achieveing what they want again?

If D23 had just been a product line offered at Disney Store I would be thrilled. It would have made high quality merchandise easily available to fans as it once was year ago. Instead it's a club where you pay to pay more for stuff that may not be everyone's cup of tea. It still won't tell you what the oh so precious sculpture is (unlike a WDCS membeship which has no secrets or products you cen get at your local BaN) or offer you the discounts a MKC or DC membership got you. The price itself is outrageous for anyone outside the US who won't make it to any convention or will continue to be forced to pay through the nose for shipping of these products offered. the magazine itself may be nice, but you don't need to join the club or pay full price to get it as already explained (not to mention $16 US for 62 pages seems a bit much, regadless of the paper quailty, on top of the fact that buying it yourself will prevent any dilivery boy from bending or wrecking it by the time it reaches your house).

I don't like it so I won't join, and from the poll this site has done, I'm guessing alot of others won't.

jakeman

D23 isn't bringing back Vault Disney or making Disney Channel suitable for anyone over age 14

D23 will not finish or raise the quality of various Disney TV show releases on DVD

D23 will not end the practice of DMC exclusive titles or start the proper release or restoration of many poorly done or never released Disney film/TV material (no Child of Glass or Mr. Boogedy for you!)

D23 isn't fixing neglected/stale areas, attractions, shows etc. of Disney Theme Parks, or finishing SSE any faster

D23 does not help you save money on any Disney product whatsoever.
If you thought that D23 was going to do any of those things you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Ausdaddy

If you thought that D23 was going to do any of those things you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think you completely missed the point of his post. He's saying that they are no listening to what people want. He didn't say he expected them to be included.

jt04

I think you completely missed the point of his post. He's saying that they are no listening to what people want. He didn't say he expected them to be included.

I don't know, the stock holders meeting seemed very routine which is telling since the stock has dropped but investors understand we are in challanging times. As for the average consumers, well it appears Disney is holding up well all things considered.

I've been to the D23 web site and it's really rather impressive. :)

jakeman

That makes no sense. Unless you expected those things to be included with the announcement of D23, then why would you be upset about it not being included?

Ausdaddy

I don't know, the stock holders meeting seemed very routine which is telling since the stock has dropped but investors understand we are in challanging times. As for the average consumers, well it appears Disney is holding up well all things considered.

I've been to the D23 web site and it's really rather impressive. :)

Yeah, the website is nice. I don't think we've seen all the benefits yet. I'm waiting to see what else is added over the next 6 months. If they add exclusive access to movie premiers or some additional discounts, it might draw me in. I'm happy that you have the whole year to become a charter member. Gives me time to let this play out. Not really bashing anything other than price and that the expo is tied to CA for four years. I could rationalize the price, if they added some features.

That makes no sense. Unless you expected those things to be included with the announcement of D23, then why would you be upset about it not being included?

Just because it means Disney is continuing to not listen to the fans it claims to be targeting. Status quo.

DoctorPrius

Jakeman is a defender of mediocrity

Seriously, why would anyone waste their time defending a product when the response from the target demographic is NEGATIVE?

Animaniac93-98

Disney claims to be reaching out to the fans with this program/club, but it ironically does not satisfy anything of the numerous complaints fans have specifically stated disliking about TWDC or wanting them to do something about. The closest thing this club does is puts back an official magazine published by Disney in stores where you don't even have to join to get.

WDT=Walt Disney Treasures, the annual DVD line that has had it's numbers reduced to the point where only 39,500 copies were made for last year's wave. 125,000 is LE (250,000 had to be made to meet demand for the WW2 set). 39,500 is just stupid, especially whn all copes of Dr. Syn sell in a months time.

BTW if I were to "reach out to fans" I'd develop a franchise based off this DVD line (since it's the only one fans trust anymore) and have all kinds of merchandise sold at DS. They already have one book with that heading, why not make clothing, artwork and other books with it's name? And not charge peple to have the "priviledge" to buy them in the first place or ship it to thier homes.

EPCOT Explorer

D23 does not help you save money on any Disney product whatsoever

The examples above are of things I've seen time and time again complained about on multiple Disney forums. If D23 is menat to "reach out to the fans" how is it achieveing what they want again?

If D23 had just been a product line offered at Disney Store I would be thrilled. It would have made high quality merchandise easily available to fans as it once was year ago. Instead it's a club where you pay to pay more for stuff that may not be everyone's cup of tea. It still won't tell you what the oh so precious sculpture is (unlike a WDCS membeship which has no secrets or products you cen get at your local BaN) or offer you the discounts a MKC or DC membership got you. The price itself is outrageous for anyone outside the US who won't make it to any convention or will continue to be forced to pay through the nose for shipping of these products offered. the magazine itself may be nice, but you don't need to join the club or pay full price to get it as already explained (not to mention $16 US for 62 pages seems a bit much, regadless of the paper quailty, on top of the fact that buying it yourself will prevent any dilivery boy from bending or wrecking it by the time it reaches your house).

I don't like it so I won't join, and from the poll this site has done, I'm guessing alot of others won't.

Well said!

Mind if we post this on the Facebook site?

Fe Maiden

LOL! If it is a salaried gig I'd take it! I honestly think it is almost flawless as a product. It has a depth to it that I've not come across anywhere else. The E Ticket is equally strong on the DL history stuff as you pointed out - although it can be a bit folksy for my liking.

I had noticed that leemac hadn't commented on D23 on LP - but then he does seem to dip in and out irregularly. I'd be intrigued to hear what he has to say.

Tales is a great product but certainly not flawless. Too often there is not enough color contrast between the background photos/colors and the text. Halfway through a story the words can seem to disappear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom