Anyone else hate what they did to "Pirates of the Caribbean"

SecretSponge

Original Poster
I'm sorry if this has already been covered...

Pirates has always been one of my favorite rides, but for some reason, they had to replace the original ride with one based on the movie which was based on the ride. Confusing, isn't it?

They added too many anamatronic Johnny Depp figures, I counted about 3-4 of them. They also had new voice recordings, such as "hand over cap'n Jack Sparrow" and a hologram of Davey Jones.

It was just really upsetting seeing the king tied to the throne at the end of the rid replaced with a drunken Johnny Depp. One or two Johnny Depp figures/references would have been fine, but this was too much. I will probably never ride again.

Actually I like the update. It think Capt'n Jack fits in perfectly. Guess without you riding, means one more available seat and one less camera flash to worry about.

wolf359

I think the new update manages to add new elements without harming what came before. I actually think the new film elements do far less harm than the "make Pirates more politically correct" changes made in the 90s.

I think Sparrow's three appearances are pretty harmless, and Barbossa now being the ship captain doesn't really change anything. I think the Davey Jones projection is a pretty cool effect, and adds to the opening scenes of the attraction.

Also, the enhanced lighting and clearer audio that came with that rehab are also very appreciated.

brent2124

There are only 3 Captain Jacks with a ride length of hundreds of feet. I guess you arent very skilled in the math department:shrug:

SecretSponge

Original Poster
Im suggesting that you are posting excreta in the hope of getting a reaction.

No, I'm not trolling. I'm voicing my opinion on a ride in a theme park that my family has spent thousands of dollars at. If you like the ride, good for you. This is a thread for people that miss the old one.

There are only 3 Captain Jacks with a ride length of hundreds of feet. I guess you arent very skilled in the math department

Guess you aren't skilled at reading comprehension, since I said it was 2 years since I've been there and can't remember the exact spacing. Besides, it was just an exaggeration.

cmatt

every 20 feet and you then said they are only 3-4 of them... so you are suggesting the ride is only 80ft? :eek:

do you exaggerate about other things? :lookaroun

myself? I liked what they done tbh..

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well I would have thought someone that has invested that amount of money on visiting the ride may have noticed the changes before now, and at least get the facts correct about what they are actually complaining about. But why would a drunken Depp pirate cause so many negative emotions for you given the number of drunk pirates in the attraction already.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I can TOTALLY understand where you're coming from. For me there will always be a certain fondness for the ORIGINAL POTC at WDW. I certainly don't DISlike the new ride, though. I think what it loses in nostalgia, it makes up for in a nice projection illusion and some of the greatest AAs on property.

SecretSponge

Original Poster
Well I would have thought someone that has invested that amount of money on visiting the ride may have noticed the changes before now, and at least get the facts correct about what they are actually complaining about. But why would a drunken Depp pirate cause so many negative emotions for you given the number of drunk pirates in the attraction already.

Just because I haven't posted my opinion before now doesn't mean I haven't noticed it.

And what facts? The spacing between each Captain Jack figure?

The "drunken" part wasn't the complaint, it was that they replaced the original scene with a new character.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just because I haven't posted my opinion before now doesn't mean I haven't noticed it.

And what facts? The spacing between each Captain Jack figure?

The "drunken" part wasn't the complaint, it was that they replaced the original scene with a new character.

Well perhaps you can understand my confusion, you have waited two years to post about something that allegedly really bothers you. :shrug:

And apart from the end scene, which was hardly intrinsic to the ride in the first place, the Sparrow character has been added as support to the classic scenes.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I personally enjoy the changes. I've never been one to complain about change, nor am I particularly nostalgic when it comes to rides. I assess change based on the end result being enjoyable, not attempting to judge if it's better or worse. In this instance, the result is an enjoyable ride and I'm content.

brent2124

No, I'm not trolling. I'm voicing my opinion on a ride in a theme park that my family has spent thousands of dollars at. If you like the ride, good for you. This is a thread for people that miss the old one.

Guess you aren't skilled at reading comprehension, since I said it was 2 years since I've been there and can't remember the exact spacing. Besides, it was just an exaggeration.
No you said "They added anamatronic Johnny Depp figures every 20 feet. I counted about 3-4 of them."

That means the ride is a maximum of 80 feet, but only 60 since there are only 3. Even if you rode 2 years ago you should be able to remember that an attraction was much longer than 80 feet. If you watch a video of the ride on youtube you can see that the first Captain Jack doesnt appear until almost 4 minutes into the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPus1Iuga0

Wilt Dasney

I personally enjoy the changes. I've never been one to complain about change, nor am I particularly nostalgic when it comes to rides. I assess change based on the end result being enjoyable, not attempting to judge if it's better or worse. In this instance, the result is an enjoyable ride and I'm content.
I like the ride too. I don't think the changes detract, and I think the Depp AA's are actually pretty impressive.

Courtney1188

Easy with the personal insults! Exaggerating on a message board is usually going to result in someone correcting you, so don't be surprised when it happens.

I think the new touches are nice. And they definitely didn't 'replace' the old ride. Just threw in a couple new AAs as well as a projection. Not enough to totally disrupt the ride, but enough to pay tribute to the movies, which have earned them millions and are loved by many.

WDWmazprty

I love the updates. I actually think they should add more characters to mingle with the old ones. The more the merrier! POTC will always be an original classic at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom