Anybody else hate the dentist?

Panhead

Original Poster
:lol: I dunno about you people, but I hate going to the dentist. I've even tried to bribe my parents with $200 to not make me go (geez, their not too smart eh? :lol:) I'm always afraid of what they might/could do, usually after im fine. It's just waiting there, for them to finish (im quite scarred of ANY pain, especially needles!!!). I'm going to get a filling in about an hour, so they gotta numb me (needle!!! :brick:). Hopefully it doesn't hurt too bad, or else :fork:

-Chris-

wdwmomof3

Oh, you'll be fine. I don't mind going to the dentist, I just hate when I get the bill.:lol:

Our dentist numbs the area first with a cotton swab before he does the needle. Then you really don't feel anything.

Have fun!! :)

Gooch

I hate any doctor/dentist's office I visit, even if it isn't for any appointment of my own. Heck, I was stuck in a dentist waiting room for almost 2 hours on Friday and wanted to harm myself. Haha. I'm not a fan.

WDWFREAK53

I hate any doctor/dentist's office I visit, even if it isn't for any appointment of my own. Heck, I was stuck in a dentist waiting room for almost 2 hours on Friday and wanted to harm myself. Haha. I'm not a fan.

I'm with you :lol:

I hate the waiting rooms. I don't mind it when I'm in the chair or on the table....I just hate waiting.

MKCP 1985

Check with your dentist but many now have what is being called Anxiety controlled dentistry. The readers digest version is you take a pill before your appointment and in about an hour you are so relaxed you could care less if they were cutting your head off.

Here is a link to my dentist with a FAQ page about anxiety controlled dentistry.

http://www.dentistjacksonville.com/Sedation-Dental-Center.html

I had a great dentist when I was in Jacksonville. He loved that Kingfish tournament, though. I always wondered when he had me in for work whether I was just funding his fishing addiction. :lol:

Anyway, why the hate for dentists? Do you all know how hard it is to take someone serious with rotten teeth, or no teeth at all? :lookaroun

Here's a little pixie dust for dentists. :sohappy:

Panhead

Original Poster

That's about how I feel... I just got back(time was a little different then I thought). My whole mouth is numb, and I cant talk :zipit: It wasn't the most painful thing I've felt, but its more just the waiting for it to be over :brick: The needle did hurt though, and when they "sanded" the tooth. Other then that it wasn't "too" bad. I still hate them though :lookaroun

-Chris-

Duchesse

Wow... this thread couldn't have come at a better time. I am soooo afraid of going to the dentist. For the past few weeks I have been having bad headaches that I'm sure are from my teeth. Maybe my wisdom teeth???? Sometimes my whole mouth kind of hurts and I can't even pinpoint the source of the pain. I know I should go to the dentist, but I can't bring myself to make the appointment. Just thinking about it gets my heart beating faster.

The funny thing is that as a child I had no fear at all. Sometimes I didn't even get novacain. Now that I am 40, I am a mess.... lol!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow... this thread couldn't have come at a better time. I am soooo afraid of going to the dentist. For the past few weeks I have been having bad headaches that I'm sure are from my teeth. Maybe my wisdom teeth???? Sometimes my whole mouth kind of hurts and I can't even pinpoint the source of the pain. I know I should go to the dentist, but I can't bring myself to make the appointment. Just thinking about it gets my heart beating faster.

The funny thing is that as a child I had no fear at all. Sometimes I didn't even get novacain. Now that I am 40, I am a mess.... lol!
Does the pain seem to come from your ears or the top of your jaw?

Fantasmic!329

I hate the eye doctor much more than I hate the dentist. :lol:

But, I probably won't be too fond of the dentist once I need to get my wisdom teeth out (which probably won't be too long from now...)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hmm... its not hurting right now, but I would have to say more jaw. Does that mean something?
I am not a doctor but I will play one for a moment......but it sounds like Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ). This is basically an inflammation in the joint at the top of the jaw. This will can cause pain in the jaw, head and/or ears and in severe cases can actually lock the joint where you will not be able to move your jaw. There are several actions that can trigger this condition. For me the biggest thing is if I open my mouth too wide either when I am eating or yawning. Teeth grinding, gum chewing and misaligned teeth can also trigger it.

There really is no cure but treatment consists usually of anti-inflammatory pain relievers (Alieve of the generic equivalent (naproxen sodium) seems to work best for me), putting ice on the joint, orthodontic treatment and behavior modification (ie stop grinding teeth, take smaller bites, etc)

Next time you get one of those headaches try putting an ice pack on the point where your jaw attaches to your skull (generally about 1/2=1" in front of your ear) If the pain dramatically improves after about 1/2 an hour TMJ is more than likely the culprit.

You will find a number of dentists that specialize in TMJ. If the ice works make an appointment with one to confirm it and seek treatment.

MouseMadness

And don't chew gum! :)

Dentist doesn't bother me, never has :shrug: But yeah, sedation dentistry seems to REALLY be gaining in popularity recently.

TBH, as a female, there are worse doctors to visit. :lookaroun I'll take the dentist.

wdwmomof3

This may sound crazy but for TMJ our Doctor told us to take Glucosamine Chondroitin sulfate, 2 caps twice a day. It is for joints and should help with TMJ. It can be found at GNC.

Disneybird

I am not a doctor but I will play one for a moment......but it sounds like Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ). This is basically an inflammation in the joint at the top of the jaw. This will can cause pain in the jaw, head and/or ears and in severe cases can actually lock the joint where you will not be able to move your jaw. There are several actions that can trigger this condition. For me the biggest thing is if I open my mouth too wide either when I am eating or yawning. Teeth grinding, gum chewing and misaligned teeth can also trigger it.

There really is no cure but treatment consists usually of anti-inflammatory pain relievers (Alieve of the generic equivalent (naproxen sodium) seems to work best for me), putting ice on the joint, orthodontic treatment and behavior modification (ie stop grinding teeth, take smaller bites, etc)

Next time you get one of those headaches try putting an ice pack on the point where your jaw attaches to your skull (generally about 1/2=1" in front of your ear) If the pain dramatically improves after about 1/2 an hour TMJ is more than likely the culprit.

You will find a number of dentists that specialize in TMJ. If the ice works make an appointment with one to confirm it and seek treatment.

Wow! You seem to know quite a bit about TMJ. I actually work for a group of Oral Surgeons that treat TMJ. They also perform extractions, jaw surgeries, treat injuries, etc.., so I see people every day that have a fear of dentist. Believe me, you would rather go to the dentist now, then have to lose your teeth later because of neglect. The majority of people facing extractions would rather go to sleep than be awake for them though. Sometimes people are given something to calm them down before they come in for treatment, but most of the time, after their exam, they don't really need it. And usually the children that come in scared to have their procedures, have parents that are terrified and let it show.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disneybird;2780073[B said:
]Wow! You seem to know quite a bit about TMJ.[/B] I actually work for a group of Oral Surgeons that treat TMJ. They also perform extractions, jaw surgeries, treat injuries, etc.., so I see people every day that have a fear of dentist. Believe me, you would rather go to the dentist now, then have to lose your teeth later because of neglect. The majority of people facing extractions would rather go to sleep than be awake for them though. Sometimes people are given something to calm them down before they come in for treatment, but most of the time, after their exam, they don't really need it. And usually the children that come in scared to have their procedures, have parents that are terrified and let it show.
I have it so I wanted to know as much as I could about it. Fortunately for me it is not a super bad case of it and I learned what causes it so I can avoid flare ups. I also take a supplement called Regenicare which is like the best joint supplement GNC has to offer times 10 so my jaw joint has been getting progressively stronger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom