Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustInTime

6 months is a great time frame to return it to former glory. It's too long for a general refub and too short for a complete overhaul. I have a feeling they are working on or 40th gift. I am looking forward to this being on the Park Maps.

sublimesting

That is disgusting. Awful.

From the article:

An Aflac spokesman said the remarks were “lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac.”

I wonder though: What if the remarks were not lacking in humor? Aflac likes their disaster humor to actually be tasteless AND funny.

sublimesting

The Tiki Room's replacement:

images

And you thought Gilbert Gotfried was creepy...

jmuboy

I just can't keep saying that this news makes this Disney Geek very happy.

Now about that FIGMENT ride......

6 months is a great time frame to return it to former glory. It's too long for a general refub and too short for a complete overhaul. I have a feeling they are working on or 40th gift. I am looking forward to this being on the Park Maps.

El-Fuego

Everyone seems to be assuming that the show will be changing back to the original. While the somewhat optimistic attitude of the insiders makes that a fairly safe assumption, it has never been confirmed. Has any one considered the possibility that they will put in something worse than under new management?

Keep it up to date with the global trend - Sack everyone - Call it Tiki, Tiki Labour Queue!:ROFLOL:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Well over in DL when they have a male CM running it they usually say something like "I hope he doesn't call me Senorita this time" and I know that Maynard covers for it by saying "Whenever I wake Jose up, he calls me silly names!"

:lol:

Brian Noble

I know all the Right People are saying it is so, but given the way things happen around that place, I have a hard time imaging the conversation that went: "A fire you say? Really? The Iago AA needs to be replaced? Okay...Hey, I've got an idea. Let's just redo the show instead. Anyone have a pot of money lying around?"

SeaCastle

I know all the Right People are saying it is so, but given the way things happen around that place, I have a hard time imaging the conversation that went: "A fire you say? Really? The Iago AA needs to be replaced? Okay...Hey, I've got an idea. Let's just redo the show instead. Anyone have a pot of money lying around?"

Not necessarily. According to FoxxFurr on Discussion Kingdom, the theater was subjected to 90 straight minutes of sprinklers, rendering Uh-oa completely broken, not to mention Iago being scorched and beyond repair.

I can't think of a better way to re-phrase it, so here's what she said"
I talked to someone who has seen the inside of the theater and supposedly there's scaffolding everywhere. Based on their account, it seems like Zazu survived more or less intact. Iago 1 was destroyed by the fire and the water cascading over the Birdmobile down onto Uhoah for 90 minutes did her in.

*Speculation Based On What I Know*
I think the crucial factor here may be time frames. Since WDI redid the Disneyland show in 2005, that version of the show is more or less ready to go, and even better, the refurbishment will fix a major operational problem with the attraction, which is that the pneumatic figures were being operated from DACs and the hydraulic figures (everyone added in 1998) were being operated by an onsite computer. The refurbishment will allow every figure to be operated from an onsite computer, which will be a massive boon for maintainence.

I think what this comes down to is that even if Zazu and Iago 2 could have been salvaged, they would still have needed to be programmed from scratch for the new operating system the show would have received. Why? Because the company Disney buys audio-animatronics from has changed, meaning Iago 1 and Uhoah would have needed to be re-engineered and reprogrammed to fit into a pre-existing show nobody wanted. In a park like MK so afraid of losing capacity, especially with Toontown currently being a mudpit, the writing was on the wall for this one; I'm sure it took Disney all of a week to decide on what to do.
*End Speculation*

Plus some operational insight:
I think Tropical Serenade had better utilization for no other reason than most people who walk into a show waiting area are going to be willing to wait 10-15 minutes for it even if they don't know what it is. With an UNM show always about to start, thus having a higher overall OHRC, those numbers looks significantly lower. And of course with a show every 12 minutes, that means the exterior entryway is going to be closed 5-6 times an hour instead of 2-3 times, which is certainly a deterrent. Would you bother to walk in if the show looked closed? Right?

All that goes in the pot together. Plus, most hardcore WDW fans make it a point to avoid UNM, which they probably don't for things like Hall of Presidents or Country Bears even if they're not seeing them every visit. Now that WDW's audience is shrinking as people get priced out and more and more are part of vacation ownership programs, it's more of a liability to have a show as actively offensive as UNM playing, and I'm sure they know it.

Not to mention the fact that Disney is in desperate need of having something new to promote, and the cost to change the show over (presumably) isn't all of that high, plus there really isn't a way to justify pulling an unpopular, poorly attended show down for refurb to months, spending a small fortune repairing and reconfiguring the animatronics and rebuilding the theater from water damage only to have it re-open as the same unpopular, poorly attended show.

Buried20KLeague

Not necessarily. According to FoxxFurr on Discussion Kingdom, the theater was subjected to 90 straight minutes of sprinklers, rendering Uh-oa completely broken, not to mention Iago being scorched and beyond repair.

I can't think of a better way to re-phrase it, so here's what she said"

[/COLOR][/B]Plus some operational insight:

Not to mention the fact that Disney is in desperate need of having something new to promote, and the cost to change the show over (presumably) isn't all of that high, plus there really isn't a way to justify pulling an unpopular, poorly attended show down for refurb to months, spending a small fortune repairing and reconfiguring the animatronics and rebuilding the theater from water damage only to have it re-open as the same unpopular, poorly attended show.

Great info. And it all makes good common sense, too.

Someone else posted here a while back about UNM's very very poor OHRC, and how it makes the attraction look even worse than it really is.

Everything that's being said seems to jive together.

DisneyLeo18

Plus they wont have to teach all the birds any new songs :lookaroun

flavious27

Everyone seems to be assuming that the show will be changing back to the original. While the somewhat optimistic attitude of the insiders makes that a fairly safe assumption, it has never been confirmed. Has any one considered the possibility that they will put in something worse than under new management?

stitch? we don't need more rebranded rides.

Jerm

how long did it take them to switch from tropical Serenade to UNM?

It was just about 7 months or so, but here is the thing about changing from the old show to the new show....it is really easy to rip things out and build a new then to try and rebuild something using the old parts. For UNM they had to add in 4 new AA's, adjust and build new lighting effects, reprogram the old birds and rip out all the water works inside. If they were to go back to the old show, while it would be easy to plug in the old show in the birds they would have to rip out the "fountain" and rebuild it and add in the water works again (which we would have seen a permit filed for by now). It would be faster to stick Stitch in :brick: but I don't think either of those will be happening, but we will see!

flavious27

BINGO!

I wish that they would announce something though. For some reason it seems the last year they have been extremely slow in announcing ANYTHING. No one "officially" knew anything about the Haunted Mansion, no announcements or confirmation about Summer Nightastic, nothing about a possible 40th celebration, no additional information about Hyperion Wharf. I would love to have some things to look forward to....

thats because it will be so magically when guests stumble across the improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom