American Pavilion in Epcot is a Joke

DisneyMusician2

Perhaps it is an idealized view of our nation.

But isn't Epcot and indeed Disney an idealized view of life in most ways? Why should the American Adventure model any differently from the rest of the park experience.

Not everything is meant to be a true history class. America, like every nation and indeed every person, has things to be proud of and things to regret. But we do have to be proud of and the fact that they are idealized here is simply part of the overall Disney experience.

(In this same vein, you won't find realistic depictions of Viking battles, French living conditions before the revolution, or mustard gas reenactments in Germany.)

Sherrybaby

LOL too hilarious. I knew I'd be flamed. A person can't post any comments here that don't conform with the "norm". Sorry you don't agree--and if bashing me makes you feel like a bigger person then I'm so glad I was able to give that to you today :)

I don't live in the US most of the time, I left a long time ago. I happen to have dual citizenship in another country...so I have a different POV about America and how everyone thinks it's the "greatest" country to live in...try to broaden your horizons a little bit and gaze outside your little computer room.

Enjoy your flaming! I'm sure glad I gave you your boost for the day!!!!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

EpcotServo

What I don't get about this discussion is that Mexico, Norway, China, Japan, Morocco, France, and the United Kingdom ALL have Fast Food places. America's just serves hamburgers and chicken and such.

Fast Food is a WAY of getting food, not a TYPE of food.
:shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
I have a different POV about America and how everyone thinks it's the "greatest" country to live in...try to broaden your horizons a little bit and gaze outside your little computer room.

Just as YOU are entitled to dislike America, those of us living here full time are just as entitled to like it and speak positively of it.

Having bad things happen in our past doesn't take away our right to be proud of the good things that have happened and "showcase" them.

I think it would be disturbing and in bad taste to have the American Adventure be all about the horrors of slavery and such. Who the heck would want to see that while they're trying to enjoy their vacation? :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
As a foreigner, I'll weigh in with my assessment of the American Adventure:

I walked out thinking that there isn't a country anywhere better at patriotism. Canadians are very proud, but we don't always have the fervent patriotism that Americans have. When I walk out of your nation's pavilion proud of you, it's justifiable for you to be proud of yourselves!

Does AA itemize everything that has been done wrong? Of course not. But it doesn't shy away from it either. Women had to fight for the vote. Slavery was abolished through fighting. Civil Rights activists fought for others' and their own rights. But all those fights were Americans fighting to make America a better place. [The only fight on your soil you guys lost was to us :lookaroun.] Be proud! You've fought for the right to.

Kingdom WDW

I'm scared this thread will launch into the abyss of closed threads.

Before we turn this into a political debate, make sense of this:

1. If you hate America and live in it, then move out. We don't want to hear you complaining how much America sucks.
2. This country was founded for freedom. You're lucky you can say you hate it without being persecuted.
3. Try fitting 225+ years of history into 20 minutes.
4. The show is not about America, it's about the American spirit. When the stock market crashed, did we get taken over by Russia and forever remain impoverished? No, we stuck together and got through it. That's more important than the most goals scored by a man in one game.
5. While fast food is America's slogan practically, don't blame America for that. Blame the people. It's not our country's fault. It's our fault.
6. The merchandise and buffalo wings are only part of what makes the American Pavilion.
7. When I gaze out of my computer room window, I see an entire world out there. I see the beauty of ancient Rome, the clear blue waters of Hounduras, and the rainforests of Brazil. Also, I see riots in France, poverty in Russia, censorship of China, and nuclear problems in Iran.

So if you like other countries better, than that's fine. However, that's not fine if you've only spent a week in Europe or the Caribbean.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
LOL too hilarious. I knew I'd be flamed. A person can't post any comments here that don't conform with the "norm". Sorry you don't agree--and if bashing me makes you feel like a bigger person then I'm so glad I was able to give that to you today :)

I don't live in the US most of the time, I left a long time ago. I happen to have dual citizenship in another country...so I have a different POV about America and how everyone thinks it's the "greatest" country to live in...try to broaden your horizons a little bit and gaze outside your little computer room.

I actually share your opinion, have multiple nationalities, and left the US as well.

However, I am not snotty about it, and just learned to shut up when I disagree.

Have a magical day comrade :)

michael92

Nobody is perfect. Not even the japanese in disneysea, where disney can put different decorations than here because they arent stolen in the first week :p.. but seriously, america may have made mistakes and may make mistakes in the present, but you cant deny that its type of government proved to be the best and was taken as an example for many countries

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I'm scared this thread will launch into the abyss of closed threads.

Before we turn this into a political debate, make sense of this:

1. If you hate America and live in it, then move out. We don't want to hear you complaining how much America sucks.
2. This country was founded for freedom. You're lucky you can say you hate it without being persecuted.
3. Try fitting 225+ years of history into 20 minutes.
4. The show is not about America, it's about the American spirit. When the stock market crashed, did we get taken over by Russia and forever remain impoverished? No, we stuck together and got through it. That's more important than the most goals scored by a man in one game.
5. While fast food is America's slogan practically, don't blame America for that. Blame the people. It's not our country's fault. It's our fault.
6. The merchandise and buffalo wings are only part of what makes the American Pavilion.
7. When I gaze out of my computer room window, I see an entire world out there. I see the beauty of ancient Rome, the clear blue waters of Hounduras, and the rainforests of Brazil. Also, I see riots in France, poverty in Russia, censorship of China, and nuclear problems in Iran.

So if you like other countries better, than that's fine. However, that's not fine if you've only spent a week in Europe or the Caribbean.

I think your points 3,4, and 5 sum things up very well.

Now to everyone else- remember this is not a political forum. Thanks. :wave:

shanny

I want to put in a vote for authentic Maryland steamed crabs and shrimp and crab cakes. :slurp: Then I could feel like I was home when I was at Epcot.

i didnt get to read past this yet, but i simply couldnt resist seconding this! i think my hubby would be more excited to go to disney, knowing he could get real crabs there :) and that would make both of us very happy!! :slurp:

I was at Epcot a few days ago and I noticed something that made me slightly frustrated. The whole America area in World Showcase is, in my opinion, severely lacking. We have an ampi-theater, a cheeseburger/chicken finger stand, and a store that sells David Beckham jerseys. Nothing against David Beckham, but he has only played a few games on American soil due to injury and there are SO many other American athletes that deserve exposure over the (not even American) David Beckham. The store also features oh-so-generic "Made in USA" shirts and hoodies that are available at every Wal-Mart and truck stop across the country. Why can't we sell things that really say good things about America? For instance, Italy has a HUGE selection of perfumes/colognes which is something Italy is known for. Germany has beer steins. Mexico certainly has very cultural items for sale that the country is known for. Are we really known for David Beckham jerseys? Come on...

I also have a problem with the American "restaurant." Every other country has sit-down table service restaurants, some countries even have 2 restaurants. America has one fast food area. Why can't we have a restaurant that really shows off America cuisine? Something along the lines of (dare I say ) Emeril's at Universal's City Walk would be amazing at World Showcase.

I will say that I didn't watch the American Adventure show so maybe that is really good and I'm not aware of it. I have watched it in years past but not so recently that I can remember if it is any good.

Thanks for listening to me vent about this. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.:brick:

With the shops you have a point but with the American Adventure, whoa, whoa whoa. One shouldn't dismiss one of the top 3 best shows in all of WDW so easily! A sitdown American restaurant like Emeril's would be a great idea. There is nothing wrong with the colonial America theming though.

Respect the American Adventure!

Kingdom WDW

I just realized this:

The American Adventure

What does that actually mean? Somebody in our family came here to escape persecution or in search of a better life. Some people didn't get along on the way. So what? "We go on, through the joy and through the tears, we go on to discover new frontiers."

Surely, it's not perfect. When America was under attack, Disney decided not to hide it under a bushel basket and pretend like everything is oh-so-good here at Disney World. No, we screwed up, we screw up all of the time. Stuff happens, and we can't help it. If the stock market crashes, we go on. If the wand goes back up, we go on.

Generally, as Americans we tend to pass off the blame or pretend like nothing happened. The American Adventure is how Americans should be. If you liked a losing team (i.e. Houston Astros) you are still proud of your team, and although bad stuff comes our way, we should be proud of our country.

An adventure has its ups and downs, it's tragedies and its triumphs. Acknowledging both of them can only make us better.

KaliSplash

The American pavilion?

Well, the show is the best in World Showcase. For years I was disappointed by the ending, I kept thinking there should be some big production finish like the Hall of Presidents. I kept waiting for something to actually HAPPEN with the figures on the side of the theater. Then it finally occurred to me there is no big finish to the show because the country hasn't had a big finish. The AAs in the show are impressive and I like the story.

As to the shop. It's not much, but you can get CDs of the Voices of Liberty (or their alter egos, Liberty Voices/Regeneration) there.

As to the food. it's hard to argue that America shouldn't be represented by a fast food restaurant that serves burgers, hot dogs and chicken and fries.

For me, the real treat of any trip here is the Voices of Liberty. We often catch them, see the show, and come back and wait for them again before moving on. These folks can really sing. Only wish they sang longer. But that's why you can buy the CDs!

007mickey

"and if bashing me makes you feel like a bigger person"

"I don't live in the US most of the time, I left a long time ago."

"Enjoy your flaming!"

1. I think just maybe you started this "bashing" thing.
2. If you don't live here "most of the time", don't put you live in Ohio. You obviously don't like it, don't claim it.
3. You can call it "flaming" I guess but did you really think you would post something like this about the U.S. and not catch some flack for it?

Let's face it Sherry, you seem pretty passionate about your dislike for the U.S. but we are talking about Disney World for crying out loud. I''m sure there are plenty of forums out there for you to share your opinions about the U.S. and its views. Let's just leave them out of the WDWMagic website, things should be a litttle lighter over here.

duck_daddy

I just realized this:

The American Adventure

What does that actually mean? Somebody in our family came here to escape persecution or in search of a better life. Some people didn't get along on the way. So what? "We go on, through the joy and through the tears, we go on to discover new frontiers."

Surely, it's not perfect. When America was under attack, Disney decided not to hide it under a bushel basket and pretend like everything is oh-so-good here at Disney World. No, we screwed up, we screw up all of the time. Stuff happens, and we can't help it. If the stock market crashes, we go on. If the wand goes back up, we go on.

Generally, as Americans we tend to pass off the blame or pretend like nothing happened. The American Adventure is how Americans should be. If you liked a losing team (i.e. Houston Astros) you are still proud of your team, and although bad stuff comes our way, we should be proud of our country.

An adventure has its ups and downs, it's tragedies and its triumphs. Acknowledging both of them can only make us better.
Bravo! Well spoken! I think a point is being intentionally missed for the sake of argument. Apparently someone has become scorned, and she see's fit to try to scorn eveyone else as well. While I don't agree with our county's past, it is what defined us as a country. The stuggles have made us stronger. I take a very Darwinish approach to life. Kill or be killed, not literally, but you get the jist. Lead or get out of the way. I do not like illegal immigration. However, if as a country we sit back and let the immigrants overtake us, who is to blame? I do not like the fact we have became an outlet from Mexico, but we as a country are doing little to stop it. Only the strong survive!

haveyoumetmark

I've been fortunate enough to travel the world a few times. All the way to the Great Wall of China, and then some. While I may agree with a few of your points, traveling on a global scale has made me appreciate the gorgeous country I live in more than ever. It's a shame you missed the point of the American Adventure, but you didn't have to be so snobby about it.

Every poster on here that objected your post had the opportunity to reply to your post, the way that you replied to theirs. Luckily most of them didn't. Had they done that, you would've gotten a lot of "grow up"s.

maggiegrace1

If you hate this forum so much why do you post here?:shrug:

This is the second thread you have posted in about getting flamed when most people just bypass your posts...and I have not really seen where many people have flamed you before.

Are you in need of attention?

Figment571

As a foreigner, I'll weigh in with my assessment of the American Adventure:

I walked out thinking that there isn't a country anywhere better at patriotism. Canadians are very proud, but we don't always have the fervent patriotism that Americans have. When I walk out of your nation's pavilion proud of you, it's justifiable for you to be proud of yourselves!

Does AA itemize everything that has been done wrong? Of course not. But it doesn't shy away from it either. Women had to fight for the vote. Slavery was abolished through fighting. Civil Rights activists fought for others' and their own rights. But all those fights were Americans fighting to make America a better place. [The only fight on your soil you guys lost was to us :lookaroun.] Be proud! You've fought for the right to.

Hey we tried to get you in during the Revolution, I believe Benedict Arnold (before he betrayed the country) led one of the campaigns up there. They just couldn't handle the weather and Redcoats!:lol:

Fun2BFree

I just realized this:

Two things of equal importance and horror to all Americans. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom