American Pavilion in Epcot is a Joke

Captain Barbosa

Original Poster
The American Adventure is history as told to 3rd graders so they are not terrified by the horrific slavery stories and the killing of the various ethnic people coming over by boat to NY and being killed and/or starved. It's a Disney-fied version of our history, but you are at Disney so what do you expect??? We are not going to get the true American story at Disney. Pick up a history book to learn about how we killed all the Indians and hung the "witches" and mistreated women (and still do). I'm sure people from other countries also realize that we are putting on a good false "show" here about "our" history. It's like someone writing a biography and omitting the negativity that happened in their life.

The fast food is ok--that's what we do here--eat fast food and that's why so many of us are obese and unhealthy. The fast food is at least honest--keep that.

I only browsed the store once and found it small and boring so I can't comment much on it.

The Voices of Liberty are very talented. I also say keep that because it shows the true mentality of Americans as well--push people as far and as hard as you can until you can get a front row viewing.

Oh and another thing about American Adventure--I have been there a few times to take visitors who just "had" to see it and the "move all the way to the end of the row direction is just crazy. If everyone did that then no one would have a good view because the theatre has never been even half full all the times I have been there. When there are tons of seats left and people want to get ticked because everyone is in the middle when they are coming in 5 mins late then that's just too bad--show up on time.

How's that for American realism??

Sherry

Wow, Sherry, that is not where I wanted this thread to go at all...

Though while we're at it why don't we just throw in a holocaust exhibit in Germany?! That would really get people to love World Showcase! Show some respect for your own country.

Rufus T Firefly

The American Adventure is history as told to 3rd graders so they are not terrified by the horrific slavery stories and the killing of the various ethnic people coming over by boat to NY and being killed and/or starved. It's a Disney-fied version of our history, but you are at Disney so what do you expect??? We are not going to get the true American story at Disney. Pick up a history book to learn about how we killed all the Indians and hung the "witches" and mistreated women (and still do). I'm sure people from other countries also realize that we are putting on a good false "show" here about "our" history. It's like someone writing a biography and omitting the negativity that happened in their life.

The fast food is ok--that's what we do here--eat fast food and that's why so many of us are obese and unhealthy. The fast food is at least honest--keep that.

I only browsed the store once and found it small and boring so I can't comment much on it.

The Voices of Liberty are very talented. I also say keep that because it shows the true mentality of Americans as well--push people as far and as hard as you can until you can get a front row viewing.

Oh and another thing about American Adventure--I have been there a few times to take visitors who just "had" to see it and the "move all the way to the end of the row direction is just crazy. If everyone did that then no one would have a good view because the theatre has never been even half full all the times I have been there. When there are tons of seats left and people want to get ticked because everyone is in the middle when they are coming in 5 mins late then that's just too bad--show up on time.

Sherry

Everything at WDW is the Disneyfied of the real world, because you're at WDW.

Oh, and by the way. Germany, Japan, France and China benefit a lot more from the Disneyfication of their histories.

phichi17

Everything at WDW is the Disneyfied of the real world, because you're at WDW.

Oh, and by the way. Germany, Japan, France and China benefit a lot more from the Disneyfication of their histories.

Most of the countries in WS have blemishes in their past, what country would want to showcase that?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Most of the countries in WS have blemishes in their past, what country would want to showcase that?

I keep thinking of the Illuminations:World History fireworks, where we can trace the battles all of the WS countries fought against each other with fireworks. There would be a LOT!

hrcollectibles

I say Put in a Philly Cheese Steak Place, A Chicago Dog Place and Adeli.. Boot the Beckham Jersey and give us some Baseball, Basektball and American Football Jersey's....

CThaddeus

I think the American Adventure is the only pavilion that discusses some problems: while not mentioned slavery is part of the Civil War, and Chief Joseph's speech captures the essence of those horrible actions of America.

Actually, slavery is covered a bit more than that - from the scene featuring Frederick Douglas to the "Two Brothers" section. No, we don't see the full horror of how slaves were treated, but no one in their right mind would want to see that. Yes, this is Disney, and yes, it should be a sanitized version of US history. Show that the mistakes were made - don't gloss over them completely - but focus more heavily on that which is more uplifting. Would anyone really want to watch a 20 minute show with nothing but hatred, bigotry, violence, and death? Okay, some freaks out there would, but they're in the wrong Parks if that's their desire.
As Sherry mentioned, witch hunts were left out, but I think Disney hit enough of the negatives to adequately balance things out. There's some crowing going on, but there's also some slices of humble pie, too.
Speaking of Sherry and witch hunts, holy cow. Some of you people really need to lay off. She was being honest about the pavilion in the same ways most of the rest of us have - fast food, boring shop, a sanitized show, and often rude Americans. If you don't agree , that's no reason to go implying she's a "witch" or a "troll." Personal attacks really aren't necessary.
I'd still love to see a Mexican Adventure, Norwegian Adventure, Chinese Adventure, Italian Adventure, etc. though.

Figment82

I want to put in a vote for authentic Maryland steamed crabs and shrimp and crab cakes. :slurp: Then I could feel like I was home when I was at Epcot.

I'mtheonlyone

In addition to AA, I enjoy the atmosphere of the interior of the pavilion. It feels historic, dignified, and grandious. The reproduction art and collection pieces provide a glimpse of America through the artist's eye (be it fact, or a representation of the hope and dreams of America). In addition, the interior of the building itself is beautiful. There are lots of details throughout. The pavilion is the dignified "host" of the showcase.

All in all, IMO, the pavilion is a terrific example of displaying what being an American is, who we are, why we are what we are today, and our dreams of trying to make the world a better place. It displays our determination and innovation, the plight of the working man, our dedication to family, and the pride in our country.

I will give you the fact that the retail options are poor (at best), but I believe, that they were never meant as the main focus of the pavilion. Do they really NEED to sell USA merchandise (when you can get USA merchandise almost anywhere)? In addition, who would buy it? Who at WDW would say "I want the USA hoodie instead of the Mickey Mouse (Tigger, Stitch) ________." (Orlando products sell better than USA merchandise in the area.) Although Beckham is poor merchandise at the moment, there have been many other exceptional products sold at the pavilion (art, pottery, etc.). The merchandise is changed out regularly.

When you go back, do take the time to enjoy everything in the pavilion... you'd be amazed at all of the details.

I only have one thing to say about all this:

Who goes to EPCOT to eat American food anyway? No seriously, why eat at mcdonalds@ epcot (overpriced chicken nuggets mind you!!), AA or Electric Umbrella when you can try all sorts of different foods from around the world? Sorry, but that has always been a peeve of mine. I mean at the other parks, I wouldn't mind so much but you're at Epcot! Diverse yummy foods to make anyone go crazy don't you agree?

As far as the pavillion goes, I've never cared for it. It was too disneyfied for my tastes. I do love it during the holidays though. My goodness, those poinsettias are a sight to see all over the christmas trees. And the gingerbread house in the fast food area is a nice place to visit. I also love it durning the food and wine festivals for well, you know. Samual Adams tastings are fun and the train around the tree is a family treat.

You can save the hotdogs or hamburgers for back home folks, or at least when you leave epcot and go to another park.

I do however like the idea of having a different city/state foods in AA. Chicago, Texas, NY etc....

But if you must have your stomach craving for hamburgers satisfied, go to beaches and cream over at Yacht and Beach. Those are pretty darn good.

Fun2BFree

Sherry

By definition, World Showcase is meant to showcase the best of the world. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not focus on the mistakes and the problems of each nation, but see how each one is unique and special, and see how great the people are in each nation.

Coming next year to Sherry's World Showcase:
The American Misadventure: Over 200 years of war and death!

EPCOT Explorer

I just went to Disney, and though it might sound strange we eat at the american restaurant every time, the last 20 some times. It's become a bit of a tradition when we are on vacation. I understand the theming and such isn't the greatest, but I love the place and love that it's fast food.

Also, I love the American Adventure show, I think it's great.

I do admit David Beckham has no business being in the US pavillion, but he can have stuff in Britain. He's done very little as far as publicity here.

The single biggest problem, I have with the US Pavillion in Epcot is, the theming of when the environment was chosen. It is very similar to Liberty Square. Having two sections that similar in theming to me seems a waist. I would much prefer a skyscraper from Chicago or New York, or even the US Capitol building or White House.

I do love the restaurant the way it is though, and really hope they don't change that, though a table service restaurant some other place, like say the Odyssey pavillion, that might work :)

Same here...That's the only place my family eats fast food.It's a fun tradition for us.

Glasgow

My family used to skip over AA because they said "we're already in America. Why do we need to go in there?" haha. I imagine alot of people think the same thing, which also leaves me wondering ... do guests from other countries skip their home country pavilions?

It's like, for example, when Chinese people are eating at home ... they don't refer to it as "Chinese food" but rather "food". People are intrigued by the unknown but not something they are already familiar with.

montyz81

I was at Epcot a few days ago and I noticed something that made me slightly frustrated. The whole America area in World Showcase is, in my opinion, severely lacking. We have an ampi-theater, a cheeseburger/chicken finger stand, and a store that sells David Beckham jerseys. Nothing against David Beckham, but he has only played a few games on American soil due to injury and there are SO many other American athletes that deserve exposure over the (not even American) David Beckham. The store also features oh-so-generic "Made in USA" shirts and hoodies that are available at every Wal-Mart and truck stop across the country. Why can't we sell things that really say good things about America? For instance, Italy has a HUGE selection of perfumes/colognes which is something Italy is known for. Germany has beer steins. Mexico certainly has very cultural items for sale that the country is known for. Are we really known for David Beckham jerseys? Come on...

I also have a problem with the American "restaurant." Every other country has sit-down table service restaurants, some countries even have 2 restaurants. America has one fast food area. Why can't we have a restaurant that really shows off America cuisine? Something along the lines of (dare I say ) Emeril's at Universal's City Walk would be amazing at World Showcase.

I will say that I didn't watch the American Adventure show so maybe that is really good and I'm not aware of it. I have watched it in years past but not so recently that I can remember if it is any good.

Thanks for listening to me vent about this. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.:brick:

Accurate view of our country! oh, you were talking about the American Adventure in Epcot.

Timmay

We are not going to get the true American story at Disney. Pick up a history book to learn about how we killed all the Indians and hung the "witches" and mistreated women (and still do).

Sherry

Who is we??? You must have a mouse in your pocket, becuase I sure didn't do any of those things.

And since my great grandmother, an American Indian, wasn't killed by anyone, I think you just might be wrong on the "killed all the Indians" part of your rant...or were you knowingly throwing out hyperbole?:rolleyes:

gettingsmaller

I think a BBQ sit-down place in addition to the current counter service would be a nice addition. I can't say I found myself disappointed with the US pavilion, though.

As for the "history" discussion... That's just plain silly. It takes years in school to go through all of the aspects of American history. You can't expect to get a comprehensive, unabridged history of any country at a theme park in a 20-minute presentation (unless they do a blipvert version). This is about showcasing the best of the countries--in this case, the great men and women who helped to found it and move it forward, the obstacles that were overcome, the artists, etc..

There are many Americans out there who live with a guilt complex, and they feel the need to put America down at all costs. They would argue that you should talk about killing Native Americans, enslaving African Americans, and anything else negative in our past, but they WOULD NOT insist that the same be done for other countries. Would they insist that we show the suffering and oppression of those forced to build the Great Wall of China? Should Germany showcase the Holocaust?

Sorry, I know other people have already pointed out these "inconsistencies" in Sherry's argument, but I just had to add my comments against this "America-must-be-put-down" attitude. If you're going to argue for showing America's shortcomings, then be consistent and argue for the others, too.
Of course, everyone knows that would be ridiculous. This is a place that people go for fun and amusement, not for a depressing history lesson about how men have always enslaved, murdered, and mistreated other men.

wvdisneyfamily

One of the many Disney shows on my DVR had a tidbit about how the AA is the only attraction in the WS that criticizes its sponsoring country. I don't know how true this is since I've not seen everything in WS, but from what I've seen, it holds true.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
One of the many Disney shows on my DVR had a tidbit about how the AA is the only attraction in the WS that criticizes its sponsoring country. I don't know how true this is since I've not seen everything in WS, but from what I've seen, it holds true.

Sounds relatively accurate. For many of the other WS pavilions, I believe the government of the applicable country provided assistance in the design, so criticism would be unlikely.

hauntdmansion79

I had to jump in here and defend the American Pavilion at Epcot. I love it! It has hands down the best attraction in the world showcase. The American Adventure is a big-budget, show-stopping, not-to-be-missed attraction. Attractions like that are just not made anymore. The theater across the way also holds some great quality concerts.

As for the architecture, it is a lot like Liberty Square, but is probably the most common agreed upon time era that is associated with what American stands for, which is freedom. All Americans can agree that the freedom of American was a common goal for all parties. Freedom was born in America during the revolutionary war and the building depicts that.

As for the food, I have always liked the restaurant at the American pavilion. I usually eat fast food at Disney World and it’s nice to have fast food in the World Showcase. I agree that if they added some American creations like Philly cheese steak, Buffalo wings, apple pie, BLTs, or Turkey cranberry sauce and stuffing…etc., it would help. But all in all I agree with the quotes posted below.

As for the Capitol or the White House, both are beautiful structures...but I think it's good that Disney steered clear of replicating a government building to symbolize the United States. Both of those buildings are inextricably linked to politics, so for different people they carry different connotations--good and bad--that should not be used to represent all the people of the United States. While it can be argued that the old Georgian architecture used in the American pavilion doesn't represent all Americans either, it at least takes its aesthetic cues from Independence Hall, a building that represents an ideal we can all agree upon.

As for fast food....look around! You might be surprised just how ingrained it is in our culture compared to others... There is plenty of "American Food" on property, I have no problem with a little fast food in the Showcase for the American representation. We are the international pioneers of fast food!

WDW Monorail

Sherry

And the French Revolution and Protestant Reformation never happened. Right?

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom