American Pavilion in Epcot is a Joke

WDW Monorail

I read here about a year ago that 'traditional' would begin to be served at the restaurant. Consisting of roasted turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole.
I'm not sure if it was just a rumor but I know that I read it here.

As for Beckham, you can take him back Cappello.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
They should change the restaurant into a full out BBQ joint. Eat with your hands. Chicken, pork, beef, beans, slaw and corn on the cobb served on paper plates with rolls of paper towels on the tables.

*now I'm hungry.....off to get some BBQ*

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I think anyone who wants real, American culture should hop in their car and drive 5 minutes rather than looking for it at EPCOT.

. . . for that matter, what's more "American" than Disney World? And if you had to name a single element of American culture that is unique and differentiates us from the rest of the world, wouldn't it be film?

. . . so maybe the ultimate "American Experience" is MGM studios (is it still called that?:lookaroun)

sknydave

I think anyone who wants real, American culture should hop in their car and drive 5 minutes rather than looking for it at EPCOT.

. . . for that matter, what's more "American" than Disney World? And if you had to name a single element of American culture that is unique and differentiates us from the rest of the world, wouldn't it be film?

. . . so maybe the ultimate "American Experience" is MGM studios (is it still called that?:lookaroun)

Exactly. You're IN America!

I would also like to see what a restaurant that serves American food looks like. Can someone post a link?

IWorkWTeeth

We could at least add some class to it. How about transplanting Carnegie Deli in NYC down there? With a to-die-for hot pastrami sandwich. How about a Philly cheesesteak place? A decent po-boy? Shoot, anything Cajuin (maybe some fried gator?). How about period-type food from the Revolution? Williamsburg taverns do a bang-up job on that.

Out of all the posts I read on this thread, this one hits the nail on the head! It definately needs "American Flair", even though we do enjoy the fast food for my daughter who is a picky eater. I'd walk to McDonalds for her if I could have an authentic Philly Cheesesteak!!
As far as the pavillion itself, I also agree that it is boring. Looks like any other WDW building with a few American flags thrown on it. We have so many famous, beautiful buildings here in the states that it would have been nice to see them representated.
Also, get Beckham out of the American Pavillion!! Nobody at Disney could think of American athletes/musicians/designers/artists,etc. to showcase??? DUH!! :brick:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I agree with just about everything that has been said on this thread. The AA show and the Voice of Liberty are great. But the food and shop are disappointing to say the least. Since I don't care much about the shopping, I'll focus on the food.

I have always thought that there is no "American" food, because different parts of the US have such different cuisine. And that's what I wish would be highlighted in the food at the American Adventure -- the diversity. If you want to keep it fast food, have the place feature fast food from different parts of the US. While everybody has the burger and the hot dog, most parts of the US have their own brand of fast food. Chicago (where I live now) has the Italian Beef and the Chicago hot dog with a million things on it (some of which I'm pretty sure aren't actually food). Detroit (where I grew up) has the Coney Island and sliders. Cincinnati has it's special kind of chili. Philly has the cheesesteak. Hawaii has the plate lunch. New York has overflowing corned beef sandwiches and rude service (just a joke!). Etc....

Same thing could be done in a casual table service restaurant. Kansas City (or Texas or Carolina) barbecue. Chicago deep-dish pizza. Boston (or Manhattan) clam chowder.

At least, though, they updated the food service that is there to be indoors. Perhaps we should be thankful for small improvements!

dandaman

I will say that I didn't watch the American Adventure show so maybe that is really good and I'm not aware of it. I have watched it in years past but not so recently that I can remember if it is any good.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

Want my thought? Go see the darn show. :lol: :wave:

That list of foods (Carnegie et al.) as well as listed above sound fantastic, but would the diversity (see: new menu items for the kitchen to learn) be able to translate well to quality and service?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We actually enjoy eating at the AA; a quick bite, indoors, as opposed to en expensive meal booked months in advance. Sure, add to the menu, but keep what`s available also.

The building itself is like the rest in WS; an idealogical reprsentation of the country in a particular era. It isn`t supposed to be modern. Go to the North East and I`m sure you`ll find similar today. Same as the UK - parts of Manchester could be mistaken for the UK pavilion today in 2008.

As for the merch.... I agree. At least I`ve my 1987 AA cap still :)

But you can keep Beckham :D

BRER STITCH

... Chicago (where I live now) has the Italian Beef and the Chicago hot dog with a million things on it (some of which I'm pretty sure aren't actually food). Detroit (where I grew up) has the Coney Island and sliders. Cincinnati has it's special kind of chili. Philly has the cheesesteak. Hawaii has the plate lunch. New York has overflowing corned beef sandwiches and rude service (just a joke!). Etc....

Same thing could be done in a casual table service restaurant. Kansas City (or Texas or Carolina) barbecue. Chicago deep-dish pizza. Boston (or Manhattan) clam chowder.

Yeah!...and I don't suppose anybody ever heard of the BUFFALO CHICKEN WING either?!?!?!?!

:shrug:

Main Street USA

I was at Epcot a few days ago and I noticed something that made me slightly frustrated. The whole America area in World Showcase is, in my opinion, severely lacking. We have an ampi-theater, a cheeseburger/chicken finger stand, and a store that sells David Beckham jerseys. Nothing against David Beckham, but he has only played a few games on American soil due to injury and there are SO many other American athletes that deserve exposure over the (not even American) David Beckham. The store also features oh-so-generic "Made in USA" shirts and hoodies that are available at every Wal-Mart and truck stop across the country. Why can't we sell things that really say good things about America? For instance, Italy has a HUGE selection of perfumes/colognes which is something Italy is known for. Germany has beer steins. Mexico certainly has very cultural items for sale that the country is known for. Are we really known for David Beckham jerseys? Come on...

I also have a problem with the American "restaurant." Every other country has sit-down table service restaurants, some countries even have 2 restaurants. America has one fast food area. Why can't we have a restaurant that really shows off America cuisine? Something along the lines of (dare I say ) Emeril's at Universal's City Walk would be amazing at World Showcase.

I will say that I didn't watch the American Adventure show so maybe that is really good and I'm not aware of it. I have watched it in years past but not so recently that I can remember if it is any good.

Thanks for listening to me vent about this. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.:brick:
Yeah, you missed the whole pavilion, basically. I'd try to spend more than 10 - 15 minutes there next time, and maybe hit more than the gift shop and the counter service food.

emh1960

I think the restaurant is terrible. I think that Epcot needs more table service restaurants, and it would be great to have a nice American restaurant. The gift shop is terrible too, it is too small. I would love to see Disney change these two aspects of the pavillion.

marypoppins68

As for the David Beckham shirts, remember that he signed a deal with Disney last year to promote Disney around the globe. He was in the same print campaign that Beyonce and Scarlett Johannson were in. I'm sure in return for Beckham appearing in the ads Disney agreed to sell his shirts.

Astro_Digital

More table restaurants more places the average people can not get a seat at.

I think the shopping is bad at the American Pavilion.

The show is excellent mind you a little sugar coated after all the USA was not really united until after the civil war, and it was founded on treason and slavery.

The food Epcot needs fast food places the food is junk but it is clearly American.

wvdisneyfamily

I definitely think the UK is the worst-represented of all the World Showcase pavilions. All we have is a (actually quite talented) Beatles tribute band, a pub restaurant, several shops toting toys and Beatles memorabilia and a chippie (*yawn*).

When you contrast that with your stunning American Adventure with state-of-the-art AAs, a rousing score, excellent set pieces, couple with the superb Voices of Liberty, huge outdoor amphitheater and your prime location at the very head of World Showcase, you don't seem as badly represented. ;)

Don't forget the tea shop! It's one of my favorite stores in Epcot. :slurp:
I do think we need a table service in America. However, it would be difficult to have an American restaurant because so much of our food is borrowed from other countries.

SpykeYs

If the Americain Pavillion is a joke, think about the Canadian Pavillion... The way the dress and the things they show/sells, people think that everyone in canada are lumberjack's and sells beaver fur... LOL!!!! :) :ROFLOL:

Can't wait to be in orlando.. !! 2 more days!

righttrack

I, for one, appreciate the rant about the American Pavillion. Look at it this way, the first way a lot of people get to experience the cultures and countries in WS is through WS! For some, thats their only experience. For those people, I am sad, because the world really should be travelled. For people visiting WDW from other countries, The American Pavillion is something that should showcase to them the U.S. at its best. All too often people see others at their worst in Orlando, due to the hustle and bustle and the heat. My suggestions?

- Keep the Anamatronic show. Its the best there is.

- Change the costumes to something more appealing.

- Sit down food. How about barbeque? Its about as American, as it comes. Cornbread, actually anything with corn, another American speciality.

- Beer? Sam Adams?!?!

- Wine? California and Oregon have wonderful wines, plus our very American Zinfandel

There is a lot to be proud of being an American. Lets be proud to show it to the rest of the world, as the other pavillions do.

jedimaster1227

Our pavilion really does have the most to do, and the most to see for Epcot, and I think that is why it really is the host pavilion. While the food may not be gourmet, it is simply American signature dishes, and it is a successful outlet for such items. The shop carries various items throughout the year, and I find their selection to be quite diverse. The right side of the pavilion hosts various seminars year round and the theater often sells out on its dessert-party shows. The American Adventure is a marvel to this date (fantastic story, fantastic score, beautiful theater) and the Voices of Liberty and National Treasures are both wonderful extras for the pavilion.

In my honest opinion, the American Adventure is the best "all-around" pavilion in the World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom