American Idol!

CaptainMichael

DDuckFan130 said:
She could've at least showed some sadness at Elliot's departure. I don't think there has been a nicer, more down to earth contestant. He will be missed, but I know he will be successful.
I thought she looked sad enough. Please keep in mind the strong emotions she is feeling right now. She had just found out that she is in the Final Two! Imagine how happy you would be at that moment! It's kind of a big deal. So you have two powerful emotions in you, one is sadness for a fallen comrade, and the other is extreme jubilation for making it to the Final Two of American Idol Season 5....something thousands couldn't do.

fireKM.gif

GenerationX

We'll never know for sure, but I don't believe the percentages they flashed on the screen were accurate. They were so different from the ones on DialIdol and ZabaSearch. I understand the latter two do not have access to the actual, official numbers, but their methods should get them reasonably close. The show, of course, wants to squelch any talk of a Taylor runaway. That would be bad for ratings.

I believe Chris should have been the winner. He has the best combination of talent and personality of any of the contestants this season. Behind Chris is Katharine, who has a great voice, incredible range, some stage presence, and was easily the best looking female contestant this year. Working mostly against her is her diva attitude. I say "mostly", because some people like that kind of attitude in their stars, though I am not one of them. I can look past it because she's only 21. Taylor would be my third choice to win. He has some raw talent, and his enthusiasm for performing is always evident. It's hard for me not to be entertained by someone who is so clearly doing what he's wired to do and doing it reasonably well.

Finally, how many pleas must I make: Paula, if you care even the least bit about your reputation, lay off the booze. Listen to the words Taylor sang from the Springsteen song - "There's a joke here somewhere, and it's on me." It's not been a pretty season for you. Again.

CaptainMichael

To all of the Katharine bashers, I dedicate this song to you:

Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clip.../0/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/002-3542018-9745615

:wave: Thanks for giving me the motivation to vote last night!:wave:

fireKM.gif

Erika

GenerationX said:
We'll never know for sure, but I don't believe the percentages they flashed on the screen were accurate. They were so different from the ones on DialIdol and ZabaSearch. I understand the latter two do not have access to the actual, official numbers, but their methods should get them reasonably close. The show, of course, wants to squelch any talk of a Taylor runaway. That would be bad for ratings.

I believe Chris should have been the winner. He has the best combination of talent and personality of any of the contestants this season. Behind Chris is Katharine, who has a great voice, incredible range, some stage presence, and was easily the best looking female contestant this year. Working mostly against her is her diva attitude. I say "mostly", because some people like that kind of attitude in their stars, though I am not one of them. I can look past it because she's only 21. Taylor would be my third choice to win. He has some raw talent, and his enthusiasm for performing is always evident. It's hard for me not to be entertained by someone who is so clearly doing what he's wired to do and doing it reasonably well.

Finally, how many pleas must I make: Paula, if you care even the least bit about your reputation, lay off the booze. Listen to the words Taylor sang from the Springsteen song - "There's a joke here somewhere, and it's on me." It's not been a pretty season for you. Again.

I agree with you about Chris, but I think NOT winning will be better for him. He can go in any direction he chooses- something that would not have been immediately possible had he come in first place.

Katharine has a lot of talent, but I'm pulling for Taylor.

yensidtlaw1969

I think people should watch some of Taylor's wild and crazy songs blindfolded. I did it, and let me tell you something -- the performance loses alot without the visual. He's pretty good at the Ballad-like songs he does, but the wild ones are what most people like him for. The problem is, while it's necessary to have stage presence, charisma and energy on stage, if your singing isn't that great you're pretty sunk. He's ok, but not up to par. Alot of people love how crazy he gets with his perfomances, but they don't realize that that energy doesn't read on the radio. Listening to a recording of his songs doesn't have the same effect as watching the erformance, and unfortunately, for an American Idol, after the show ends that tends to be your main medium. That's another thing -- I hate it when people say "He/she doesn't "look" like an American Idol". I get what you're saying and why you're saying it, but if you hear them on the radio you won't care what they look like, you'll care about their voice! Besides the fact that it's a shallow thing to say and that it's kinda pulled out of a hat, people shouldn't judge people (let alone singers) for their looks. They're there to sing. In recent times glamour has become a big part of people's opnions of celebrities, but it's really wrong and kinda incredibly stupid. That would be like going to a library and saying "I don't like that librarian because she can't dance". Whoop-dee-freakin-doo! The Librarian isn't there to dance! I'm getting really of topic, but I hope you get my point.

So the lesson is, don't do drugs, and stay in school.

Yensidtlaw1969

dxwwf3

Taylor will not relate to albums at all, IMO. He's a goofy, fun performer and I think he'll be doing live shows until he has real gray hair, but I doubt he'll ever sell a lot of records.

dxwwf3

I think the winner will be decided by song choice. And I'm wondering if the more formal setting might hurt Taylor and help the Kat. No matter, I would really like to see both of them do their best. I like Taylor the most when he sings an uptempo song, but doesn't over do it. And I think Katharine is at her best when she either goes for the ballad or does a mid tempo song (Like "Until You Come Back To Me" which she nailed).

CaptainMichael

Yay Jonathan, you've completely joined the darkside! A happy birthday indeed!

WDWMagic McPhans:
STR8FAN2005
GenerationX
dxwwf3
MontyMon
ImagineerBoy
TurnipHead*

*denotes Katharine McPhee Super Fan.:lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
STR8FAN2005 said:

WDWMagic McPhans:
STR8FAN2005
GenerationX
dxwwf3
MontyMon
ImagineerBoy
TurnipHead*

*denotes Katharine McPhee Super Fan.:lookaroun

I'm a McPhan, but I'm also a resident of Hicksville [OK, that sounded better while I was thinking it than it looks in print...].

About 400 posts ago, I called my top three, Chris/Kat/Taylor, Chris was the best of those, but more rocker and we all know rockers don't win AI. I consider it a toss-up now. Either is good enough to win.

hcswingfield

I think they are both great, in their own ways. It will all depend on how they handle whatever super-sappy sickening saccharine song (how's that for alliteration?) that gets written for them both to do in the finals and for the winner to release as his/her first single.

dxwwf3

STR8FAN2005 said:

I've always been on board. Her and Elliott have been my favorites since the top 12 (when I actually start watching the show). And I feel like I have to say this again because it is true, I'm not a Taylor hater. Sometimes I think he goes a little over the top and he doesn't exactly sing my type of music, but I really like the guy and wish him all the success in the world. But I do hope that Kat wins the competition because she's the best singer and I think she has a great ability to turn any song into her own.

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
I actually have listened to Taylor without seeing him...and he isn't as bad as you all think. He is very good...granted, not as good as some of the other winners...but he is still a good singer and if anyone deserves to win...it's him.

I also have a tiny request. Next week, can we avoid the DialIdol talk. I really want to be surprised of who goes, as I am sure a lot of us do. That is all I request, please....:D

hcswingfield

nibblesandbits said:
I actually have listened to Taylor without seeing him...and he isn't as bad as you all think. He is very good...granted, not as good as some of the other winners...but he is still a good singer and if anyone deserves to win...it's him.

In her early career, Bette Midler had much bigger success at her live concerts than she did selling records. When she is able to capture that magic on a recording, it sells like hotcakes. Jimmy Buffett has had the same kind of career. I imagine Taylor's career will be a lot like that. He'll sell records, but he'll do even better with live concerts.

Nemo14

On a related note, did anyone happen to catch "Entertainment Tonight" or whatever the show that has Billy Bush as a reporter on it? It airs here at 7 pm, while the Idol results show was not on til 9. He did a story featuring clips of Katherine as a little girl last night, and also had some things about Taylor. Then, he actually said, (2 hours before the show aired) that Elliot had been voted off. My DD and I heard him say it, and we both just looked at each other in disbelief that he would be allowed to say that before air time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom