Am I the only who ignores Universal?

Goofyernmost

This is exactly my point...all of these things cost over and above what I'm already spending....plus transportation, Parking, tickets, etc.

Sorry to say that airfare alone puts us back $2000. Not arguing with you but there is no way in he!! We can do Florida for $2400.
I was telling you what I spend and you could do the comparison based on your particular situations. You can stay at Disney for 10 days but you don't have to buy a 10 day ticket. You could buy less add to it if necessary, and free up time and money to see other things. Car rentals are cheap, but if you insist on staying on property so you can sleep with a Mickey night light, you are going to pay the long price for that and then miss out on some of the other cheaper things to do as well as the equally expensive Universal visits. Those are your choices, not mine. The only purpose of my posting was to inform that there is more than one way to have a fun vacation. Disney is great, but it isn't everything.

Personally, I have no way to save on Disney Tickets to any meaningful amount, but, by staying off-site I can pay for car rentals, meals and a lot of my other expenses just on what I save on nightly resort fees alone. Many people, I think, do not realize that and the reason I am posting this stuff is just so more will be aware and perhaps make what they might consider, better use of their money. It is not an indictment of any wrong doing by doing it strictly Disney.

Last edited:

MissingDisney

..., but if you insist on staying on property so you can sleep with a Mickey night light, you are going to pay the long price for that and then miss out on some of the other cheaper things to do as well as the equally expensive Universal visits. Those are your choices, not mine.

Nah, we sleep with Mickey night-lights every night...at home...for free. Actually, it's my kids that choose WDW for now (see earlier post) so to me, this is the best use of our budget-happy kids and family memories. Hopefully/maybe when they're older we'll be making them somewhere else, but thanks for the digs, I mean suggestions. ;)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We went on a trip with another couple in 2004 and we hit Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens we liked Universal and IOA but didn't go back until 2012 to see the Harry Potter section. As soon as our kids get big enough we will be doing a split stay. I'm dying to check out the Simpsons area and The new Harry Potter section when it opens. Universal has a bunch of new projects coming up after Harry too and I'm dying to see what they will be. Right now universal has pulled ahead for me personally in terms of future confirmed park offerings.

Goofyernmost

Nah, we sleep with Mickey night-lights every night...at home...for free. Actually, it's my kids that choose WDW for now (see earlier post) so to me, this is the best use of our budget-happy kids and family memories. Hopefully/maybe when they're older we'll be making them somewhere else, but thanks for the digs, I mean suggestions. ;)
First let me apologize! I just read my post and I can see how easy it is to think that I was calling you out personally. That wasn't my intent. I constantly use the word YOU in the general sense, not in the specific. How you spend your vacation is your business. (That sentence was personal) I do have a hard time grasping the concept of staying in one place for that long. It's just not indicative of how I function, so I tend to get unintentionally condescending without realizing it.

Since my very first visit in 1983 and with only one exception, I have always stayed offsite. I look at the costs of staying onsite, especially in the moderates and luxury and can only shake my head and say how does one enjoy a vacation that is costing them that much to sleep. Even the budget ones, well themed I agree, but I have never stayed in smaller rooms then that. Really! I just don't find the value there. So, again, I apologize if I made you feel that I was singling you out specifically. My critique was the concept not the people that are using it. They're fine, they just think differently then I do.:angelic:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I dunno about that...I'd take Main Street Electrical over the Spongebob and Friends (not sure of the name) parade at Uni, though I'd certainly rate the Uni daytime parade better than "Celebrate". I haven't been back since 2011 though, so maybe Uni has a new parade?
They got a new parade last May. The Superstar Parade. It runs ONCE a day at 2, 5, or 7, depending on the day, and each of the four "units" (Despicable Me, Spongebob, Hop, and Dora/Diego) has four mini-shows each. So there's something going on pretty much all day.
The IPs aren't as strong as Disney, obviously, and the parade only takes about five minutes to pass, but the real great thing are the show stops (there are two).
It features: characters and dancers dancing beyond a caliber that Disney is willing to pay for, characters on lifts, characters on stilts, silk dancers, a character-driven float, roller skating characters, a drum-line, a character on a real drum set, pogo stickers, and tumble monkeys. Overall there are more than 20 costumed characters, more than 50 performers overall, and over a dozen actual vehicles and floats.
Disney goes for sentimentality in their parade, but Uni's is more of a party. It features instrumental versions of Party Rock and Boom Boom Pow.
I never got to see it in person, but I'd imagine the only thing Disney has had recently that may be able to compete is Block Party Bash.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

Look into staying at one of the on site hotels. They are extremely nice, and the express pass benefit is well worth it!

I'm actually thinking about staying on site for universal and traveling to disney. It's so....so... Much cheaper. And from what I hear the rooms are between a moderate -deluxe disney for the relative price of a value-moderate.

I don't care for Harry potter but I am interested in seeing the area. Will probably not make it next year, but that's ok. The year after will work.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm actually thinking about staying on site for universal and traveling to disney. It's so....so... Much cheaper. And from what I hear the rooms are between a moderate -deluxe disney for the relative price of a value-moderate.

I don't care for Harry potter but I am interested in seeing the area. Will probably not make it next year, but that's ok. The year after will work.
I stayed at Royal Pacific. It was ok. Feels very much like their take on Polynesian Resort (which I have never stayed at) at around a $250 a night rack rate, as I recall...

Their resorts are very nice. I did a split stay in 2012. 4 days at Uni (at Royal Pacific), 10 at Disney (at Pop)...I think it was well worth it to stay on-site.

I would say, after having walked the three resorts during my stay, that the Portifino Bay looked a lot more attractive facility wise...but, we adored Royal Pacific.

Animaniac93-98

I stayed at Royal Pacific. It was ok. Feels very much like their take on Polynesian Resort (which I have never stayed at) at around a $250 a night rack rate, as I recall...

Their resorts are very nice. I did a split stay in 2012. 4 days at Uni (at Royal Pacific), 10 at Disney (at Pop)...I think it was well worth it to stay on-site.

I would say, after having walked the three resorts during my stay, that the Portifino Bay looked a lot more attractive facility wise...but, we adored Royal Pacific.

I really liked RP too and would recommend it to anyone staying on on site as it's the closest to IoA. Had dinner at PB and thought it looked very nice, but I think it's too far from the parks IMO.

Animaniac93-98

You left out Revenge of the Mummy.

Intentionally, as I find it more dark ride than coaster, but even if you include it the number is still less. It's the same if you count Gringotts (which doesn't sound very coaster-like in purpose) or Dragon Challange as two.

BryceM

Intentionally, as I find it more dark ride than coaster, but even if you include it the number is still less. It's the same if you count Gringotts (which doesn't sound very coaster-like in purpose) or Dragon Challange as two.
I do count Revenge of the Mummy, personally. I think it's amazing as a dark ride, but also very fun as a roller coaster. The pop of airtime after the uphill launch is fantastic, and the other portions of that follow are very fun when it comes to those coaster forces that people crave. I'm also a sucker for a roller coaster in the dark.

I doubt Gringotts would count, but we should see. It definitely does seem more like a dark ride than anything else. I count Dragon Challenge as one, because then we would also be counting both sides of Primeval Whirl and Space Mountain. Though, to be fair, both sides of Dragon Challenge are completely different.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I really liked RP too and would recommend it to anyone staying on on site as it's the closest to IoA. Had dinner at PB and thought it looked very nice, but I think it's too far from the parks IMO.
The only complaint I would have about it...well, 2 complaints...

The restaurants closed down too early.

The water taxi ran irregularly (it was rather stormy when we visited though)

Plusses?

It's an easy and pleasant walk to the parks along the canal, and if you don't want to walk, well, there are always the rickshaws!

It was a very comfortable room.

The view was fantastic (a great garden with waterfall) even though we had a standard only room

The Express Pass was priceless

The staff was professional (but I wouldn't say kind)...that's a huge compliment though considering my experience with most of the mousekeepers and bellhops (not all, just most) I've run into at Disney's Moderates / Value resorts...

The facility was spotless

The food offerings were good, room service was also good and reasonably priced.

Animaniac93-98

I do count Revenge of the Mummy, personally. I think it's amazing as a dark ride, but also very fun as a roller coaster. The pop of airtime after the uphill launch is fantastic, and the other portions of that follow are very fun when it comes to those coaster forces that people crave. I'm also a sucker for a roller coaster in the dark.

I doubt Gringotts would count, but we should see. It definitely does seem more like a dark ride than anything else. I count Dragon Challenge as one, because then we would also be counting both sides of Primeval Whirl and Space Mountain. Though, to be fair, both sides of Dragon Challenge are completely different.

I agree about Mummy and the coaster comparisons.

At the end of the day both resorts feature a number of thrill rides among other attractions. If you think UNI is just coasters and Potter, you're simply an ignorant tourist.

Animaniac93-98

The only complaint I would have about it...well, 2 complaints...

The restaurants closed down too early.

The water taxi ran irregularly (it was rather stormy when we visited though)

They ran regularily for me, so I'd say that was more weather related.

I only ate at one restaurant (along with the breakfast buffet) so I can't really comment on that. I didn't have any problems the one time, but it wasn't a meal to remember either. Just something simple to grab when you first got there.

By far the best reason to stay is the express pass. Once you've had it, you can't imagine going without it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom