Am I the only who ignores Universal?

BalooChicago

You make it seem like Florida has absolutely nothing else to offer, besides theme parks, specifically WDW. Maybe that's why all the Florida tourism ads I see all have to do with theme parks and nothing else.

No, I love Florida. Siesta Key is one of my favorite places I've been. I plan on getting down to Key West. I have limited time (and to some extent money, but time is the bigger issue) to spend on vacations. If I had two weeks to spend in Orlando would I find a day or two for some place other than WDW? Maybe. I doubt I'll ever take a two week vacation again, and if I did the odds that I would spend it in Orlando (even for WDW) are minimal.

LucyK

Only someone who hasn't been to IoA or US would say Universal it's only HP and coasters! My second favorite area of IoA is Seussland; very well themed, kid friendly and not one rollercoaster on sight. The carrousel is very entertaining just to look at it!

MIB is an even better experience than Buzz and dare I say TSMM? My 70-year-old mother LOVED it and we went back at least four times trying to beat each other scores.

Jurassic Park and both water rides are super fun and worthy of any Splash Mountain fan.

Despicable Me, E.T. and The Simpsons rides are all amazing.

Plus themed areas for the kids, very cool shows (Disaster is my favorite, such fun especially if you're chosen to be part of the show), friendly service.

All in all there's LOTS to do at Universal besides coaster and Harry Potter (although HP is my main goal when I'm there since I'm a huge fan).

As you can see from my signature, we're staying at on site hotel on my next trip for 11 days and I'll be going to the parks at least 6 of those. It's a bit expensive but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

zero creativity

You are not alone. Plenty of people do just that. It's your vacation. Do what you want. I live less than 2 hours from the Jersey shore and I have lots of friends who have a favorite beach town that they always visit. They know the town, shops, restaurants and beaches well. They could try a different town right near by which maybe has a bigger beach or a better boardwalk or more restaurants, but they don't because "their town" is what they like. If WDW is what you like then there is nothing wrong with going there and never setting foot in Universal. Now if you want my opinion on whether I think Universal is worth visiting, the answer is yes. But that's just my opinion.
I was always partial to Wildwood myself, went to Seaside a lot because it was closer.
But as far as Universal goes, my kids are still too young to ride the bigger rides and adding an extra park/day outside of WDW would be cost prohibitive. We almost did a quick Florida trip for some family stuff this summer and I think we might have done Universal for a day.

BryceM

To be honest, I have never seen them. If you say they are good, I will next time I'm there.
Popeye is a riot. It's completely fun from beginning to end, and it's themed very, very well. But, it is relentless when it comes to getting soaked.

The Cat in the Hat is pretty fun, and better than most of the Fantasyland dark rides. It's not super amazing, but it's a fun little dark ride. Especially the spinning. I always make sure to ride when I go to IOA.

MissingDisney

:eek:The thought of doing Uni and WDW in the same vacation scares what pennies I have left right out of my wallet. We save and budget for our annual WDW trip and I honestly do not know how people do family tickets for 2 theme parks in the same vacation. I refuse to charge or go in debt for a vacation. To say "hey, stop by and do Uni for a few days!" adds like another grand to my budget. :greedy: God bless those who can take a 3 week vacation and/or spend the equivalent of a small auto on a trip. I envy you, I do. Till then we will have to settle for our 9-10 day WDW escapes. :p

DManRightHere

Well, both parks have their perks. This year me and the wife went to Universal for 3 days and Disney for 6 days. We did both parks at universal in 2 days and did it all. The year before we only went to islands of adventure, so this time we experienced both parks. We went back the third morning and did the rides we wanted to do again or didn't get to do and we were done. Also note that Universal parks close at 8 and we can stay at Disney until midnight or later usually.

Disney, we spend 6 days and still did not get to do everything we wanted. I just still find Disney to be much more unique as a whole, Universal it definitely getting the ball rolling with detailed areas.

We are headed back next year and skipping out on Universal, even if the new Harry Potter may be done, the crowds will be insane and I do not look forward to that. We will definitely be going back to Universal in 2015 though.

I'm not saying one park is better than the other, I like both for different reasons.

draybook

:eek:The thought of doing Uni and WDW in the same vacation scares what pennies I have left right out of my wallet. We save and budget for our annual WDW trip and I honestly do not know how people do family tickets for 2 theme parks in the same vacation. I refuse to charge or go in debt for a vacation. To say "hey, stop by and do Uni for a few days!" adds like another grand to my budget. :greedy: God bless those who can take a 3 week vacation and/or spend the equivalent of a small auto on a trip. I envy you, I do. Till then we will have to settle for our 9-10 day WDW escapes. :p

Not to argue with anyone here, but when I give Universal my bucks I know they're at least going to put them back into the parks in a way that I can enjoy.

At WDW, my bucks go towards things like FP-, which causes me inconveniences waiting in lines that shouldn't be as long as they are.

Goofyernmost

That's the part that I don't understand. I don't think that I have ever done more then 9 or 10 days, but in that time I manage 4 or 5 days in the Disney parks, I have ventured off to Universal, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center, Silver Springs, what used to be Cypress Gardens, multiple flea markets, helicopter tours, Gaterland, Boch Tower and even did a two day side trip to Key West once. Found a great citrus candy shop on the way to Winter Haven that I try to get to at least once on my trips. I, of course now use my own car all the time because I drive down from N.C., but, even when I lived in Vermont I always rented a car and did most of my exploring with someone elses vehicle.

To each his own, but I could no more spend that entire time in one place as shoot myself. Just me, I suppose, but to me a trip is more then one destination. I love them all. I also stay off site so I would be willing to bet that I spend less then it costs for that same time just for the resort costs for the entire trip. I love Disney as much as the next guy, but, after a while, I have had enough of the mouse and I start dreaming about setting traps for the little rodent. Basically, I use the Disney vacation as a center point and branch out from there.

With the exception of one family trip that involved my paying for 9 people for tickets, airfare, Villa rental, two rental cars and more, I have never been on a Florida trip that cost me more then $2400.00 (that was the one that included the excursion to Key West). Most have been well under 2 K complete. (tickets, meals and transportation)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was always partial to Wildwood myself, went to Seaside a lot because it was closer.
But as far as Universal goes, my kids are still too young to ride the bigger rides and adding an extra park/day outside of WDW would be cost prohibitive. We almost did a quick Florida trip for some family stuff this summer and I think we might have done Universal for a day.

We always did Wildwood when I was growing up. Haven't been down there in a while though.

I'm in the same boat with Uni. We almost went this past summer when we were in the Orlando area for a long weekend but I didn't want to deal with my 3 year old flipping out that he couldn't ride half the rides. We ended up doing Legoland and Sea World for a day each. Legoland was perfect for my kids, but isn't quite there with Disney or Universal IMHO. We were very excited to see the new penguins at SW. The ride was...strange but I still love watching those little birds. I Can't wait until they are both tall enough to spend a few days at Universal. By then all the new toys should be up and running.

BryceM

I love Universal. I have an AP and go all the time
Same! I love my AP. Definitely worth the money. Just used of yesterday actually, and had a little day between US/IOA. I went alone and did some things that I don't usually do when I'm with other people, such as Terminator 2:3D.

(My new favorite theme park show by the way. I'm not really a show person, so that's why I always skipped it, but it was just awesome!)

MissingDisney

That's the part that I don't understand. I don't think that I have ever done more then 9 or 10 days, but in that time I manage 4 or 5 days in the Disney parks, I have ventured off to Universal, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center, Silver Springs, what used to be Cypress Gardens, multiple flea markets, helicopter tours, Gaterland, Boch Tower and even did a two day side trip to Key West once. I have never been on a Florida trip that cost me more then $2400.00 (that was the one that included the excursion to Key West). Most have been well under 2 K complete. (tickets, meals and transportation)

This is exactly my point...all of these things cost over and above what I'm already spending....plus transportation, Parking, tickets, etc.

Sorry to say that airfare alone puts us back $2000. Not arguing with you but there is no way in he!! We can do Florida for $2400.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I've been on this forum for a long time now, and it seems as though everyone here seems to think that Universal is stealing away people from WDW. Maybe it's true, but it seems like I'm the only one who would just continue to go to only WDW and just ignore Universal. Every time my family and I plan a trip to Florida, we always fold WDW into the proceedings, but never Universal. Considering all the talk on here about WDW vs. Universal, am I the only one here who doesn't even think about Universal when we do a trip to Florida?

All I can say is you are missing some real great attractions. If you only have a few days I understand. If you are re-riding Disney attractions on an extended stay instead of experiencing some cutting edge attractions at Uni I don't understand. Some Disney attractions I want to ride more than once, but I don't need to ride 4+, I'd rather have add some diversity.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not to mention the parade is 100 times better than the antique show they run at Disney.
I dunno about that...I'd take Main Street Electrical over the Spongebob and Friends (not sure of the name) parade at Uni, though I'd certainly rate the Uni daytime parade better than "Celebrate". I haven't been back since 2011 though, so maybe Uni has a new parade?

Runmyhorse

We go to uni and disney every trip.You really are missing out on just doing disney. Uni is a wonderful park. Well themed. Love the shows and rides. Disney I guess I don't get teary eyed over anymore. Im actually wanting to cancel our bounceback offer we booked and just do uni. The whole family feels this way. disney has just lost its spark for this family

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom