Am I the only who ignores Universal?

Californian Elitist

I've seen both, although USH was ages ago. They're very different. The whole studio tour aspect gives USH an identity all of its own. Although I guess that if you like one you will like the other too.

UNI Orlando is to WDW what USH is to DLR. :happy:

Yeah, I figured the main difference between the two would make for completely different experiences, even more dramatic than the differences between WDW and the DLR. I like rides, so I'm sure I'll like USO.:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Are you in to dark rides and good shows? Why do people think that Universal is only roller coasters and HP? I'm not into those two either but there's still plenty to do.
Really...aren't there more rollercoasters at WDW than there are at universal?

MissingDisney

We've never been either. I've tried several times to get the family to agree to a Florida vacation with Universal Studios instead of a full Disney resort vacation. It Never worked. At one point one of my kids was literally in tears when I told him that we may pass on Disney and do Uni instead. I would like to go since I haven't been since 1990 but they just don't seem interested at all. I think a big part is almost every advertisement they see features Harry Potter and that expansion. Neither of my kids are into Harry Potter and could not care less about it. Thus, they associate Universal Studios with Potter. I know, I know, Uni is more than that but I just don't think they're ready to make a break from Disney just yet. Maybe when they're older.

BryceM

Reasons why I'm a Universal Orlando AP holder:

72f5d4dd6740323c2ecdb5c649d00ce1_zps79034df7.jpg

4fcc768af1fad77874941e92542757f4_zps119691fd.jpg

8b11736c0c0cf3943392087c1c17700d_zpsf2d3f808.jpg

I find both parks to be extremely beautiful and awe-inspiring, but each do have their distinct weaknesses, I won't deny that. I particularly love Islands of Adventure, and I do feel a strong, emotional connection to the park because I have been attending it since I was very little. I think I've been to IOA more than any other theme
park, and I have no plans to ever stop going to either IOA or US, because they offer some amazing experiences, from either just walking around or riding the awesome attractions within them.

We've never been. Not into coasters nor Harry Potter.

Except for the fact that both Universal Orlando parks are not all just roller coasters and Harry Potter. Did you know that between both Universal theme parks (there are two, just in case you didn't know) that there are only 6 (yes, 6!) roller coaster attractions? Two of those are family (or "kiddy") coasters, and one is in indoor dark-ride/coaster hybrid. So, there are only 3, yes 3, major roller coaster attractions between BOTH parks.

Goofyernmost

Want a senior citizen, coaster haters opinion? Tough you're going to get it anyway. I have been to Universal many times over the years that it has existed in Orlando. I even went to it in Hollywood, but, that is a completely different experience. The backlot tour there is the primary reason for going, IMHO! But I digress, Orlando is the place we are talking about. Let me tell you what an older than dirt, coaster avoider can find to do between Universal and Islands of Adventure.

UNIVERSAL:
TRANSFORMERS: The Ride-3D - Just opened haven't seen it yet.
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem - Very well done, love it.
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit®

The Simpsons Ride™ - OK, but no Back to the Future.

Shrek 4-D - Very well done...preshow is as good as the show.
Revenge of the Mummy®

MEN IN BLACK™ Alien Attack™ - IMHO - it's better then Toy Story and Buzz put together.
Terminator 2®: 3-D - One of the best live action, anamatronic/3D in the O'Town area. A little dated though.

E.T. Adventure - Classic, cute show.
Disaster!SM- A Major Motion Picture Ride...Starring YOU - Tremendous, especially the beginning and end.
TWISTER - Ride it out. - Old but still fun. It's a show not a ride.
Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue™ - Entertaining

The Blues Brothers® Show - Street show, good.
Universal Orlando's Horror Make-Up Show - Very good show.
Lucy: A tribute - Worth a quick look if you liked Lucy.

ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - Not to be missed.
The Incredible Hulk Coaster®
Doctor Doom's Fearfall®

Jurassic Park River Adventure - Really well done water ride.
The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad® Stunt Show - Didn't see it.
Dragon Challenge™

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™ - Worth the trip.

Poseidon's Fury - Absolutely awesome!

I could go on and on about the feel and attitude of the park in recent years, but, that's another story that I have covered already. I took my time the last time and did this in two days but with a little concentration and perhaps purchasing their Fastpass equivalent and a two park ticket, it is doable in one day. I don't like running around (old you know).

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I have practically zero interest. I don't have enough time to spend at WDW to make me happy. There is no chance if I am in Florida (or at least the Orlando area) that I'm going anywhere but WDW.

You make it seem like Florida has absolutely nothing else to offer, besides theme parks, specifically WDW. Maybe that's why all the Florida tourism ads I see all have to do with theme parks and nothing else.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've been on this forum for a long time now, and it seems as though everyone here seems to think that Universal is stealing away people from WDW. Maybe it's true, but it seems like I'm the only one who would just continue to go to only WDW and just ignore Universal. Every time my family and I plan a trip to Florida, we always fold WDW into the proceedings, but never Universal. Considering all the talk on here about WDW vs. Universal, am I the only one here who doesn't even think about Universal when we do a trip to Florida?
You are not alone. Plenty of people do just that. It's your vacation. Do what you want. I live less than 2 hours from the Jersey shore and I have lots of friends who have a favorite beach town that they always visit. They know the town, shops, restaurants and beaches well. They could try a different town right near by which maybe has a bigger beach or a better boardwalk or more restaurants, but they don't because "their town" is what they like. If WDW is what you like then there is nothing wrong with going there and never setting foot in Universal. Now if you want my opinion on whether I think Universal is worth visiting, the answer is yes. But that's just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom