Am I the only who ignores Universal?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They ran regularily for me, so I'd say that was more weather related.

I only ate at one restaurant (along with the breakfast buffet) so I can't really comment on that. I didn't have any problems the one time, but it wasn't a meal to remember either. Just something simple to grab when you first got there.

By far the best reason to stay is the express pass. Once you've had it, you can't imagine going without it.
Yeah, that's why I put that notation in. In a 4 day stay, we only used the water taxi twice. We walked or rickshawed it the rest of the time. But, mid-August 2012 was oddly rainy.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hey, Universal is cool, but it isn't Disney. It lacks the childhood memories, the touch of magic, and the sweet atmosphere. I don't care how cliche this sounds, it's true.
Childhood memories are fleeting things...

I remember Universal when it opened, when they had the Birds / Hitchcock exhibit...seeing the Birds in it's intended 3D is still the most shocking and impressive 3D experience I've ever seen (Shrek is there now). I made a funny Star Trek vid with my grandfather playing Spock while I played Kirk there.

I have tons of memories of Universal.

And, while I didn't expect this would happen, when I walked into Universal with my kid, those memories flew back into my consciousness.

Childhood memories are what you grew up with...and what you experienced. Disney doesn't OWN that.

Is it the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT? No. It never could be...but, considering the state of those parks currently, and how much they are squatting all over the "memories" and "atmosphere" tropes without providing either...I'm not sure I'd want it to be.

Take the current Castle projection...it's nothing more than an in park infomercial about how cool it is to be at Disney. Instead of being something cool.

They are ok with dirty and broken rides (something we didn't see at Uni), and poor experiences in the resorts (something we also didn't see at Uni). They are ok with rude cast members (something I've had at Disney) instead of amazing ones (something I experienced at Uni).

I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other...far from that, I love Disney. But...the differences are startling.

I call into that DCL as well...you know why I loved the Cruise far more than a stay at Disney? I felt like a king the whole trip. The cast members were amazing, the ship extremely well cared for and detailed, and the off-ship experiences extremely well organized and operated.

A far cry from a meth head cleaning your room at Pop Century (ok, I exaggerated for effect, so don't yell at me for that)

But, that should tell you that there is something broken in their creative process over there. Something that Avatarland or GAS or MM+ isn't going to fix.

Pocahontas

I think we all have had different experiences at certain places, we all have have our own childhood memories, we all have our own definition of magic. It really depends on the person. Me, I've never had the problems you have had at Disney, and I've been going annually for 10 years. We all have different opinions and see different things. Maybe you've been on a ride that you thought was dirty and broken, but I loved it. It's all perspective really.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think we all have had different experiences at certain places, we all have have our own childhood memories, we all have our own definition of magic. It really depends on the person. Me, I've never had the problems you have had at Disney, and I've been going annually for 10 years. We all have different opinions and see different things. Maybe you've been on a ride that you thought was dirty and broken, but I loved it. It's all perspective really.
Exactly my point. For the record, I was typing my response before you clarified your post earlier.

jlsHouston

WHAT?! Okay, you must go out and rent this movie (can you even rent movies from a store anymore?). It's one of my favorites.
No, I have not. I actually thought that it was from "The Devil Wears Prada", although I've never that movie before either.

OMG go rent this movie, you have got to see it at least once! I swear I smile, I laugh, I cry still watching this movie, CLASSIC modern twist on the cinderella getting her prince charming :inlove:

jlsHouston

I know I never have seen any of the things alot of the posters have written about, but Splash being down so much last year was kind of scarey, and I do think the elevators at the Samoa Longhouse at the POLY are kind of in a sad state...other than that I have wonderful resort experiences and love the rides and attractions at WDW...and I love the food at Disney....:hungry:

We go to Universal around once every 8 years or so. I think the parks are ok and I think they have better thrill rides than Disney but I don't like how there aren't as many rides everyone in the family can ride together even in the Studios park that used to be better for that but rides like Kongfrontation and Jaws have been removed and replaced/being replaced with thrill rides.

I went to Islands of Adventure for the first time 2 years ago and was very let down with the park. I thought Hulk and Dragons were excellent coasters but otherwise didn't like it. There were very few tame rides and a ride like Cat In The Hat had spinning that meant it was not good for some of us. It's the same issue with Men In Black in the Studios park. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter looked great but was so congested (and this was in January) that it wasn't any fun to browse the shops and Olivander's was not worth the long wait.

I'm not one of those people that only goes to Disney and won't go anywhere else. I enjoy going to Six Flags Great Adventure many times each season and also have a season pass to Dorney Park and we went to Busch Gardens Tampa last year in addition to Disney and had a great visit (I enjoyed the park much more than Animal Kingdom). I'm just not much of a fan of Universal.

doctornick

Do you like dark rides and good shows? Why do people think that Universal is only roller coasters and HP? I'm not into those two either but there's still plenty to do.

Well, Universal really doesn't have dark rides like Disney does (EDIT: I am talking terms of quantity of rides, not quality). I think Uni is great, but one area where WDW has it over them is slower moving, "immersive" family friendly dark rides. Gringotts sounds like a step in the right direction for this, but it's certainly been a lacking area for USO. For folks that don't like or tolerate "thrill" rides or even simulators, Uni doesn't have as much to offer as WDW.

Also, Uni could use more park wide entertainment (parades, fireworks type things), though I think IOA is slated to get a new water show in the neat future.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

"if I forget to tell you later I had a really good time tonight"

Oh that still makes me tear up... I think I still suck my gut in and stand up straight when I think of her in that red gown.:happy:

Right? My mom and I have watched that movie together ten million times. A true classic.

I tend to get a little sad during the limo scene, when Vivian is leaving, with "It Must Have Been Love" playing in the background. *sigh*

The Empress Lilly

:eek:The thought of doing Uni and WDW in the same vacation scares what pennies I have left right out of my wallet. We save and budget for our annual WDW trip and I honestly do not know how people do family tickets for 2 theme parks in the same vacation. I refuse to charge or go in debt for a vacation. To say "hey, stop by and do Uni for a few days!" adds like another grand to my budget. :greedy: God bless those who can take a 3 week vacation and/or spend the equivalent of a small auto on a trip. I envy you, I do. Till then we will have to settle for our 9-10 day WDW escapes. :p
Aye. Pricing structure makes it difficult to visit multiple resorts.

Disney days are virtually free after the first few ones, whereas UNI tickets are overpriced for one day. Which together mean there is a great incentive to just visit WDW. I've gone budget too. And I'm never tired of WDW, so when presented with the choice of another day at WDW for $2.71 or a day at UNI for $91....

The Empress Lilly

Is it the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT? No. It never could be...but, considering the state of those parks currently, and how much they are squatting all over the "memories" and "atmosphere" tropes without providing either...I'm not sure I'd want it to be.

Take the current Castle projection...it's nothing more than an in park infomercial about how cool it is to be at Disney. Instead of being something cool.
Awesome! Especially the second paragraph!
biggrin4.gif

I also agree about UNI getting the meta-stuff right. UNI does lack the childhood memories, the touch of magic, and the sweet atmosphere. But their parks are clean, well maintained, and staffed by excellent CM's. They may beat Disney at their own game!

you're not the only one lol i rarely ever think of universal to be honest.. and it's not really because of the whole "rivalry" thing, Disney just is what comes to my, and a lot of other peoples minds as soon as the word Florida comes up, then that's game over, nothing but Disney comes out of my mouth

doctornick

Aye. Pricing structure makes it difficult to visit multiple resorts.

Disney days are virtually free after the first few ones, whereas UNI tickets are overpriced for one day. Which together mean there is a great incentive to just visit WDW. I've gone budget too. And I'm never tired of WDW, so when presented with the choice of another day at WDW for $2.71 or a day at UNI for $91....

Yeah, this is the situation I find. I'm already going to go to WDW. If my vacation is long enough to justify adding Uni as well from a time standpoint, the cost structure and hassle of transport doesn't add up. I'd just as soon add days at WDW on the cheap than spend a $90/day at Uni.

We are actually planning to go for a few days to Uni next summer together with a WDW trip to see how we like doing that -- plus to check out the new HP stuff. Maybe it will change my mind, but I think it's hard to justify both WDW and Uni in one trip unless my family starts doing extended vacations in Florida where we would get bored of being in WDW for the entire. I think we'd have to be doing 2 weeks for that, though, as I can easily justify spending 10 days at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom