Am I the only who ignores Universal?

scoobygirl39541

After reading through this thread, I've gotta say... I'm surprised at how few of you have childhood/nostalgic memories at Universal. Maybe I'm too young (24) and first trip being in 2001 (after all the parks were opened), but I have just as many childhood memories at Universal as I do Disney. Different memories and feelings of course, but they're just as strong at both locations.

Last edited:

luv

After reading through this thread, I've gotta say... I'm surprised at how few of you have childhood/nostalgic memories at Universal. Maybe I'm too young (24) and first trip being in 2001 (after all the parks were opened), but have just as many childhood memories at Universal as I do Disney. Different memories and feelings of course, but they're just as strong at both locations.
Not everybody is lucky enough to have been able to go to Uni as a child. Some parents can't afford it. Some just won't take their kids.

My son has childhood memories at Uni, too. So do my nephews and most of my friends' children. :)

draybook

Well, Universal really doesn't have dark rides like Disney does. I think Uni is great, but one area where WDW has it over them is slower moving, "immersive" family friendly dark rides. Gringotts sounds like a step in the right direction for this, but it's certainly been a lacking area for USO. For folks that don't like or tolerate "thrill" rides or even simulators, Uni doesn't have as much to offer as WDW.

Also, Uni could use more park wide entertainment (parades, fireworks type things), though I think IOA is slated to get a new water show in the neat future.

Uhhh.....E.T.? The only dark ride at the MK that's as detailed as E.T. is TLM, and how long has E.T. been around?

And I've gone over the whole thing of WDW having more to "offer" for us folks that don't like thrill rides. Universal till has some stuff that's better and the worker experience makes a difference.

Last edited:

Jimmy Thick

I would say the great majority of people, over 98%, going to theme parks their first experience of a theme park done right had a Disney name on it. That kind of nostalgia is priceless and when going to theme parks the first thought of course is Disney its easy to see why people don't want to give Universal any hard earned cash.

Disney rules the theme park world.

Also throw in the fact Universal has a popular stigma of a Six Flags on steroids, and its easy to see why some people ignore Universal all together, or you can easily do both parks in one day if staying onsite.

So to answer the OP's question, its not you, a lot of people don't even consider Universal a vacation destination/competition at all.

Jimmy Thick- Hmmm, could only go to one resort for the rest of your life I doubt Universal gets any votes at all.

Matt_Black

And I've gone over the whole thing of WDW having more to "offer" for us folks that don't like thrill rides. They still have some stuff that's better and the worker experience makes a difference.

Indeed. On my trip last year, for the last day, I didn't ride anything, I just wandered around Epcot checking out the Holiday Storytellers.

BryceM

After reading through this thread, I've gotta say... I'm surprised at how few of you have childhood/nostalgic memories at Universal. Maybe I'm too young (24) and first trip being in 2001 (after all the parks were opened), but have just as many childhood memories at Universal as I do Disney. Different memories and feelings of course, but they're just as strong at both locations.
I have a TON of great childhood memories, from both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

BryceM

Indeed. On my trip last year, for the last day, I didn't ride anything, I just wandered around Epcot checking out the Holiday Storytellers.
This past Saturday I didn't ride a single thing in IOA, and still had a great time. I explored some areas that I don't usually have time to explore, such as the waterfront area by Popeye and the Jurassic Park Discovery Center.

Since1976

Universal has some of the best themed attractions in the country, and I say that as a lifelong Disney fanatic.

I don't get the Universal avoidance some fans resort to, some even refusing to speak the park's name, as if a lightning bolt might take them out. (One popular Disney podcaster lays on the I'm-not-interested-in-that-"other-place" attitude pretty thick.) It's silly.

Sure, money is a legitimate issue when deciding which parks to visit, but if you can go one trip visiting, say, only MK and 2 Uni parks, you may find yourself surprised to discover what you've been denying yourself.

Last edited:

Jeff456

We have been to Universal every trip for a couple of days, I wouldn't ignore it it's brilliant but I would only do it if I felt I had enough time at WDW as well, thankfully we are fotunate enough to be able to go for long enough we can fit it all in easily.

doctornick

Uhhh.....E.T.? The only dark ride at the MK that's as detailed as E.T. is TLM, and how long has E.T. been around?

There is a massive difference in terms of the sheer numbers of slow moving family attractions at WDW compared to Uni. To wit:

WDW
-------
POTC
Jungle Cruise
HM
PPF
IASW
TLM
Pooh
Buzz
Peoplemover
Railroad
SSE
Nemo
Imagination
Energy
Mexico
Maelstrom
GMR
TSMM

You could potentially add the safari (it's a bit bumpy though), Backlot Tour and the monorail (it's transport, but also sort of an attraction) to this list.

Meanwhile....

Uni
-----
ET
Disaster
MiB
Cat in the Hat
High in the Sky

The sheer difference in numbers is sizable. I'm not putting down Uni, as I perfectly enjoy going there. and many of their rides are fantastic. But there is a certain segment of theme park goers -- a segment that Disney has captured very well -- that is not looking for "thrills" but wants numerous immersive rides where the experience is the goal, not the movement of the vehicle. I'm sensative to this because my dad is that type of person and he hates ammusement parks, but loves Disney. My parents spend a week at Uni over this past summer and, while he thought it was fine, my father felt Uni didn't have that much that interested him and much prefers going to Disney. There's a certain type of ride that made him enthralled at Disney; Uni, at this point, doesn't have nearly as many of them.

Goofyernmost

There is a massive difference in terms of the sheer numbers of slow moving family attractions at WDW compared to Uni. To wit:

WDW
-------
POTC
Jungle Cruise
HM
PPF
IASW
TLM
Pooh
Buzz
Peoplemover
Railroad
SSE
Nemo
Imagination
Energy
Mexico
Maelstrom
GMR
TSMM

You could potentially add the safari (it's a bit bumpy though), Backlot Tour and the monorail (it's transport, but also sort of an attraction) to this list.

Meanwhile....

Uni
-----
ET
Disaster
MiB
Cat in the Hat
High in the Sky

The sheer difference in numbers is sizable. I'm not putting down Uni, as I perfectly enjoy going there. and many of their rides are fantastic. But there is a certain segment of theme park goers -- a segment that Disney has captured very well -- that is not looking for "thrills" but wants numerous immersive rides where the experience is the goal, not the movement of the vehicle. I'm sensative to this because my dad is that type of person and he hates ammusement parks, but loves Disney. My parents spend a week at Uni over this past summer and, while he thought it was fine, my father felt Uni didn't have that much that interested him and much prefers going to Disney. There's a certain type of ride that made him enthralled at Disney; Uni, at this point, doesn't have nearly as many of them.
Yes, but they also have more shows (walk through's if that works) that Disney no longer has. A few yes, even some new ones like Pirates. There will be fewer without even having to think about it. Why? Four Parks vs Two. 42 square miles of land vs. a whole lot less. Square foot per square foot, Uni might even have them beat.

Disneyhead'71

WDW
-------
POTC
Jungle Cruise
HM
PPF
IASW
TLM
Pooh
Buzz
Peoplemover
Railroad
SSE
Nemo
Imagination
Energy
Mexico
Maelstrom
GMR
TSMM

Meanwhile....

Uni
-----
ET
Disaster
MiB
Cat in the Hat
High in the Sky

And that right there is one of the reasons I DO go to Universal. But you're right. If you are looking for the majority of a parks rides to be one step above a park bench in terms of exciting, then Disney is probably the better choice.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You are not alone. Plenty of people do just that. It's your vacation. Do what you want. I live less than 2 hours from the Jersey shore and I have lots of friends who have a favorite beach town that they always visit. They know the town, shops, restaurants and beaches well. They could try a different town right near by which maybe has a bigger beach or a better boardwalk or more restaurants, but they don't because "their town" is what they like. If WDW is what you like then there is nothing wrong with going there and never setting foot in Universal. Now if you want my opinion on whether I think Universal is worth visiting, the answer is yes. But that's just my opinion.

I went to Wildwood every summer when I was growing up and really became attached to it. When I was older a went to Ocean City with some friends and loved it, now I visit both on a regular basis.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The problem is, too many people go to Universal and dislike it because "it's not Disney." Ofcourse it's not Disney. They are nothing alike! Universal and IOA are top notch parks. And if you really put them up against MK and Epcot, removing any "emotional or magical feelings." Hands down Uni/Ioa would win.

kfergdisney

I've been to Universal twice. It was ok. Of course, this was back in '94 and '96. We went to Magic Kingdom during the same trips. The thing is, I remember Universal more than MK, but what I remember about Universal was standing in line, several lines. I remember laughing and smiling at MK. I'm sure things would be different now.
In fact, I am going to WDW for a week in December and the friend that I am going with has a strong liking to Harry Potter, so we are going to Islands of Adventure for a day. I know I will enjoy the heck out of it but WDW will always have a special place in my heart.
My friend has been to Universal and MK as well, but she has only been to MK. She has never been to Epcot or any other WDW park. And we are going when the Christmas festivities are starting, so, it will be awesome!

Dog Ate Mouse

Well as a lot of you know I am a huge WDW fan and always will be. Now the wife and I always visit another park a day or two before our WDW vacation package starts. I will say that UNI had some really fun and well themed rides and attractions to see. Now Uni is in the process of adding some more great things to see and do and they are also adding a ton more hotel rooms in the process. WDW has four parks and are starting to finally get there tail ends in gear by adding new attractions and of course always refurbishing things. I am happy to see that. WDW is a vacation experience and a resort experience all wrapped into one nice package. There is magic, fun, and excitement staying at the resorts like I always do in WDW. Uni is one heck of a mind blowing experience far as rides and attractions goes. I feel it is a must see and well worth the visit to go and spend at least two days. Uni really has been building and adding attractions that are well worth seeing, the detail and theming is amazing. I am not into the WDW vs. Uni thing. I just while on vacation love seeing other things too. When I say that, Sea World comes to mind that I enjoy tremendously. I love seeing the animals and Sea life up close and throw a ride or two in and a few shows and the wife and I had a wonderful day. Is it WDW, no, but it was a day that we spent seeing something else that added to our vacation experience. I never go to another theme park once my WDW vacation package starts. We always go to the other attractions to see and try before our WDW vacation package begins. I am truly extremely happy and a little kid when I am at WDW. But I will say that Uni and it's two parks makes me laugh and gives us a whole other quality experience. Your in Orlando on vacation and all these wonderful places are there to see and do. Go and see them. Stop comparing A vs. B and enjoy all the Attractions in the Orlando are has to offer. That is one of the many reasons we go to Fla. for vacation. There is so much to see and do. You don't have to stop being a WDW fan because you went to another park for a day or two. It just means you tried something new and I hoped you had a lot of fun and laughs in the process.

cheezbat

I've been on this forum for a long time now, and it seems as though everyone here seems to think that Universal is stealing away people from WDW. Maybe it's true, but it seems like I'm the only one who would just continue to go to only WDW and just ignore Universal. Every time my family and I plan a trip to Florida, we always fold WDW into the proceedings, but never Universal. Considering all the talk on here about WDW vs. Universal, am I the only one here who doesn't even think about Universal when we do a trip to Florida?

Yes you are. Please continue to stay away from Universal. The parks are packed as it is!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom