Alfredo di Roma Ristorante Closing?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Well there definitly was not a problem with sales. Alfredo's had the 15th highest sales last year for independent restaurants in the entire country.
Last year it brought in 17.744 million in sales, and 637,173 meals served. This is why this story doesn't sound right. If anyone is wondering only Fultons crab house at DTD ranked higher than Alfredo's on Disney property. This list comes from the restaurants and institutions magazine.

I can understand why, with those menu prices.....Spaghetti and meatballs are not that expensive to make...

EpcotGrl

We usuall can't afford to do more than one "high end" dinner per trip and hubby is much more adventurous than I am. I tend to stick with things I know (i.e Italian, ) My husband would love to try France or Morrocco, but I am always afraid that I wou't like something and then we would have spent all that money for nothing.
I haven't tried Le Cellier yet, but with all the positive posts here I think this one will have to go onto our list for next trip

Here's a vote for trying new things...I'm an obscenely picky eater (my food can't touch, for example), but I ate my way around the world and was pleasantly surprised when I tried things. I hadn't expected to like Morocco, for example, and wound up addicted to it!

(Hoping this doesn't come across as pushy or anything, just a friendly tip :wave: )

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Here's a vote for trying new things...I'm an obscenely picky eater (my food can't touch, for example), but I ate my way around the world and was pleasantly surprised when I tried things. I hadn't expected to like Morocco, for example, and wound up addicted to it!

(Hoping this doesn't come across as pushy or anything, just a friendly tip :wave: )

I agree that trying new things is really what is enjoyable. We had never eaten at Teppenyaki of Japan until a year or so ago and now we love it.

shoppingnut

Wait...

Wasn't Disney recently polling people - like APs - for a Zagat survey of its parks and resorts and restaurants?

Maybe that was the death knell for Alfredos.

Yes, they were doing that, but I don't know what, if anything came of it. I seriously doubt that the survey became a death knell for Alfredos, I think it would take much more than that.

ToTBellHop

Maybe there's no business problem and Disney just wants something new in World Showcase. There was once a time when Disney changed out things BEFORE problems emerged--like lightbulbs were changed before burning out and daytime parades didn't last 6 years. It's good to keep the parks fresh, and that can involve changes at restaurants, too.

uklad79

Their website states in the press section they are the 15th in the USA's top 100 grossing restaurants. So it's nothing to do with lack of cash to why it's rumored to close unless they are not happy with the Dining Plan and that has affected sales which rents go up.

dixiegirl

I quess so long to the feta alfredo as unhealthy as it was for you ...it was soooooo good!! Along with the bread and oil..yum, yum!!!!

SirNim

Many fond memories of that 360-degree sofa in the waiting room, looking over into the pasta room, hot and tired and waiting for additional members of our party to arrive from various points along the Promenade...

Plus, of course, can't look at any restaurant's menu that says "Fettuccine Alfredo" without immediately thinking of Epcot...

Plus, of course, from time to time try to recreate the recipe at home to get that "Disney fix"... sometimes very close, sometimes dreadfully inaccurate...

Let's see how this all pans out...

BSikor

As soon as Olive Garden (and tell me honestly... people consider that "Italian" food? :lookaroun ) has the stuffed pasta dumplings with the black truffles that you find on the Trittico di Pasta at Alfredo's, I may consider them equal in all areas but price :rolleyes: :lol:

(I've never been to Italy, but I can't see a true Italian restaurant serving those homoginized breadsticks with the garlic powder/margarine combo slathered on top :lookaroun :lol: )

Okay. When is the last time most of you have eaten at an Olive Garden? A few years ago they opened a restaurant, cooking school and test kitchen in the heart of the Tuscany region of Italy. The head chef brings recipes to Orlando where they take and serve them in the restaurants nationwide.

Next time you go try one of their dishes from their cooking school. I think you'll be surprised.

I went the other day and had Beef Short Ribs braised in a Chianti Wine Sauce served with creamy risotto with roasted portabello mushrooms topped off with fresh green beans, carrots and roasted cherry tomatoes.

It ain't just spaghetti and meatballs anymore!

Thomas_M

I will never forget the time my family and I went for dinner at Alfredo's.
We arrived a party of 8, sat down and settled. Immediately we were greeted by our server and naturally being the italians we are spoke italian to our server. After that pretty much everything we ordered was somewhat off the menu, large platters for appetizers, sample menus for dessert with our regular conversations with servers and management.

It was quite the experience and to watch the expressions of the other tables around us, it was amusing as well.

This is not to say that any other family wasnt served properly but I will tell you that speaking the language and being able to communicate and relate to people from my parents birthplace definately enhanced our dining experience.

Being frequent disney go'ers we decided to finally give alfredo's a try after dining pretty much everywhere else. It, like all restaurants needed a new look so this is what is happening here.

P.S. I really hope they don't outsource and put a generic "American Italian" franchise

Later :wave:

vilegirl

Personally, I love Alfredos. I will agree that the seating leaves much to be desired, but every time I've been there, the food and service have been great. I'm not going to say it's the best Italian food I've ever had, but I think it's really good and it's a fun time. I'm sad to see it go.:(

DisneyMusician2

Perhaps it is simply time for a change. Despite the objections of many of us Disney "purisits", new attractions, restaurants, and shows need to replace the old ones. And no matter what restaurant goes in there if it is in fact really closing, we will all say it isn't as good and lament the loss of and Epoct classic. I will miss it greatly, but I am excited to see what the next thing from Disney will be.

DisneyNut7578

Wow, my wife and I loved this place!! It's too bad, but it's probably the owners backing out. Wasn't this statistically the most popular WS restaurant?

Frosty689

The problem with the Italian food in that restraunt was the fact that it was completely ITALIAN. It had no transition to american food, as my grandparents are italian and cook very similar. The fact that it was fancy Italian cuisine made it even harder to transfer over to an american palette. Although i do not enjoy every food there, I did enjoy most of it. They use different kinds of herbs and spices in there foods, and different kind of sauces on there spaghetti. It was just an acquired taste.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The problem with the Italian food in that restraunt was the fact that it was completely ITALIAN. It had no transition to american food,

What no ketchup cheese or fries???:eek: And when did BBQ chicken wings become Itallian?

IMHO the problem is as many have said whats on offer in Disney and Orlando in general is a very pale interpretation of Italian food. I lived in Sardinia, for 3 years then in the Puglia region for 5 months even between regions there is a massive difference between each dish. Whats on offer is standard fayre designed to satisfy a bulk audience. In their defence, Disney is several thousand miles from Italy and some regional products wont be available.

Sorry I didnt go to my ressy last summer as I may never get a chance to find out if it is as mediocre as many claim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom