Alfredo di Roma Ristorante Closing?

fizzle75

Le Cellier in my opinion is the best dining on property. Better than Victoria and Alberts and other highly touted eateries.

DW and I have booked the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose in April, is it anygood? How does it compare to Alfredo's and Olive Garden?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
This was originally from the mouth of one of Intercot's well respected thought to be connected people, and to be perfectly honest, Intercot has a good track record.

Each "major" site on the net has folks like that who wont lead the masses astray.

In all honesty, Alfredo's rating have been down, the seating is overcrowded (if anything the dining room needs the floorplan redesign) and the menu needs to be revisitted. Didn't they just also finally on paper killed-off "Pasta Piazza" so there is no "pizza place" in Epcot? Maybe they're thinking it will become a coutner service and table location - or maybe the menu itself will just expand.

Naples Ristorante at Downtown Disney at DLR seems to be very popular. Plus, Alfredos has been in place for 20 years, maybe the contract finally is just over.

Goodbye! The first time we ate there it was great. The last time we ate there the service was awful and the food was mediocre at best. Hopefully, something better is on the way!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
DW and I have booked the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose in April, is it anygood? How does it compare to Alfredo's and Olive Garden?

Mama's can be hit or miss, I loved the appetizers but be forewarned about the salad. It's just a 1/2 a head of romain (not cut up) on a cutting board drizzled with dressing and then some crutons tossed infront of you. I called it the "make it your darn self" salad.

I'd rank Mama's higher then Alfredos (I really haven't had any good experience with Alfredos) and depending on the day somewhere around Olive Garden, with a few of their dishes classier (and good) then Olive Garden, though I think Olive Garden is more consistent in having good overall food (the two near me I've never had problems at though, so take that into consideration.)

LilDucky

Thanks JP. As I was reading through this entire thread all I was thinking was that we have had no official confirmation about this. Until I see something official I don't believe it.

I have eaten at Alfredo's almost every time I go to WDW and have never had a problem. We always get a decent (and sometimes VERY good looking) waiter and the food is definetly good. The signature dish is great. I am also a big fan of their Calamari. :slurp: I have always like the atmosphere of sitting outside or in the small room in the front part of the restaurant and will miss it if the restaurant does indeed close.

I agree that the food is expensive (but if you are on the Dining Plan like I usually am, it doesn't matter!) and there is definetly better "true" italian food out there. However, for many people, including myself, Alfredo's is a tradition. Also, it is one of the few places in Epcot where I can take a group of adult picky eaters and everyone will still find something they like. That can't be said about Marakkesh or San Angel Inn.
I totally agree Victoria :wave:

Alfredo's is usually a fun time for us because the waiters like to try out their Spanish on us. It's usually not bad! My mom likes to try her Italian.... but that's usually pretty bad! :lol:

And yes... many of the waiters are cute :lookaroun :eek:

At least we still have Mama's :shrug:

Ok I almost had a heart attack when I saw the numerous posts about how The OLIVE GARDEN is better than ALFREDOS. The Olive Garden is by far the worst attempt at italian food(its fast food). Alfredos make their pasta from scratch which i highly doubt that the olive garden does. In the End Alfredos was an Incredible restaurant the service was great and it will be missed......and thats all i have to say about that.

shoppingnut

I was not impressed with the alfredos in new york, epcots was much better. I have never had a bad time there.

Looking at the Zagat's guide, Alfredo's in NYC only gets a 19 for food and 18 for service, which is not a great rating and means the food is good, but not great, over 20 is great. Also, the write up says: The fettuccine is worth the trip; both the room and the staff are "pretty," however some say the "food doesn't live up to its billing" and is "aimed at tourists." The fact that they mention it's aimed at tourists, says it all.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Wait...

Wasn't Disney recently polling people - like APs - for a Zagat survey of its parks and resorts and restaurants?

Maybe that was the death knell for Alfredos.

JustPlainBill

I have been to Alfredo's twice, 1987 (honeymoon) and 1990, back then our experience had been terrific. My wife's the Italian in our family, she can cook a great Italian dinner, that Alfredo's could not even come close to. We thought the food at Alfredo's was ok, though pricey. The ambience was authentic and the staff was attentive and warm. We always make dinner reservations at off times to avoid crowds, the first time the restaurant was only half full, the second time we were the only one's in the place and we had my wife's father along. The waiters were direct from Italy and they got a kick out of the fact that we had come from Chicago. When they found out that my FIL was Italian, because he started speaking in Italian to them, out came the questions about Al Capone and if we knew him, they were fascinated with us. My wife wanted the MK 19th birthday button that was pinned to our waiters coat, the 2nd waiter motioned that he'd better give it to us, or else, bang, bang, motioning his index finger to his temple! :lol: He gave her the Button! My FIL told them where in Italy his family came from and they told us what region they were from. We have some good memories at Alfredo's, I just emailed my wife from work about the news, she called me just a few minutes ago and said she is calling in ADRs for Alfredo's for out upcoming June trip, one last time it seems. I guess we'll see if it has gotten as bad as some here say it has. We don't go to restaurants just to eat, we look forward to it as a whole experience. As the saying goes nothing lasts forever, I can only hope the new place is even better.

ToTBellHop

You should try going to Italy, having real Italian food, and then go to Alfredo's at Epcot and see how authentic it is (or isn't). While it may be good compared to the American idea of Italian food (i.e. coming from a can with Chef Boyardee on the label), it is poor quality compared to the food that Italian people eat in Italy. As is usually the case in America (and I'm not saying it's a bad thing), the things we associate with a culture's favorite food are nothing like what they actually eat there (e.g. do we think they eat Sweet and Sour Chicken in China?).

I have been to Alfredo's twice, 1987 (honeymoon) and 1990, back then our experience had been terrific. My wife's the Italian in our family, she can cook a great Italian dinner, that Alfredo's could not even come close to. We thought the food at Alfredo's was ok, though pricey. The ambience was authentic and the staff was attentive and warm. We always make dinner reservations at off times to avoid crowds, the first time the restaurant was only half full, the second time we were the only one's in the place and we had my wife's father along. The waiters were direct from Italy and they got a kick out of the fact that we had come from Chicago. When they found out that my FIL was Italian, because he started speaking in Italian to them, out came the questions about Al Capone and if we knew him, they were fascinated with us. My wife wanted the MK 19th birthday button that was pinned to our waiters coat, the 2nd waiter motioned that he'd better give it to us, or else, bang, bang, motioning his index finger to his temple! :lol: He gave her the Button! My FIL told them where in Italy his family came from and they told us what region they were from. We have some good memories at Alfredo's, I just emailed my wife from work about the news, she called me just a few minutes ago and said she is calling in ADRs for Alfredo's for out upcoming June trip, one last time it seems. I guess we'll see if it has gotten as bad as some here say it has. We don't go to restaurants just to eat, we look forward to it as a whole experience. As the saying goes nothing lasts forever, I can only hope the new place is even better.

And it is discussions like this that occur in World Showcase that clearly show why Pinocchio needs to stay out. We learn nothing about Italy from a mute, wooden doll created by Walt Disney (surely Pinocchio wasn't his story, but the Pinocchio we all know and some of us "love," was Walt's creation), whereas there is much to be learned from cultural ambassadors from each of the World Showcase host nations.

RiversideBunny

Cioppino is San Francisco's answer to bouillabaisse and, like that famous Provencal seafood soup, is made with a variety of the freshest fish possible.

Get an Italian restaurant in that spot that serves good cioppino and I'll be there.

:slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp::slurp:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

We have only eaten there once. I was not impressed. In fact it was as unimpressive as Alfredo's. The service was better, but the food was average, and mine was a bit on the cold side....

MouseMadness

I totally agree Victoria :wave:

Alfredo's is usually a fun time for us because the waiters like to try out their Spanish on us. It's usually not bad! My mom likes to try her Italian.... but that's usually pretty bad! :lol:

And yes... many of the waiters are cute :lookaroun :eek:

At least we still have Mama's :shrug:

Oh? I hadn't noticed. :lookaroun

smilie_naughty.gif

scholarinexile

Oh, no!

I'm extremely disappointed to hear this. Alfredo's is hands down my favorite place to eat in Epcot. I consider myself something of a connoisseur of the signature dish, and their was hands down the best example of it I've had outside of Italy. My wife and I had the best meal of our honeymoon there in June...the food, the ambiance, the accordion player serenading us as we ate, the Sardinian waitress who took the time to chat and show us pictures of her homeland...the experience was as magical as we could have asked for. Moreover, we told our whole family about it, and they were all looking forward to trying it when we all go to Disney together (the first time for my folks) next summer. Between this and the refurbishment to El Rio de Tiempo (which my mom proclaimed absolutely beautiful when she saw our video), I fear World Showcase isn't going to be as much fun as I've sold it to be.

smk

I have never been to Alfredo's, I am reluctant to eat at any Italian place other than my Nona's or Mom's house. I did go to Italy in 2005, spent a month in total, went to Venice, Milan, Florence, Pisa, Assisi, Rome and a few other little towns in between. I never once was served my salad with dressing already on it, I always mixed my own oil and vinegar. I never once saw breadsticks or garlic bread, the meal is served with Italian bread, plain, with olive oil and vinegar you can mix on a plate to dip your bread in, if you want. My pasta dishes weren't soaking in garlic, or even tomato paste/sauce. I had pizza with very little sauce and very few toppings. Breakfast is lunch meat, rolls and cereal, yogurt and fresh fruit. The wait staff asked for your order, brought your food and then left you alone. We often sat for two hours over a meal with no one coming back to ask if we wanted our bill or anything else. The Italians don't fuss over people eating, maybe that is considered bad service here but there it is the norm. I came to appreciate it, there is something wrong with bringing my dinner and my bill at the same time.

Pinocchio is Italian, he was created by Carlo Collodi becasue he enjoyed writing for children's enjoyment. He once said he wrote for kids "because adults are too hard to please" (how true). Pinocchio was created in 1883 and Walt brought him life in Disney in the 1940's. Pinocchio is very loved in Florence, Italy, it is his home. Pinocchio is not in the Italy pavillion just to fill retail space. It may be very fitting to have a Pinocchio experience there while dining. Many things in Epcot's Italy are well done when compared to the "real" thing. Italian food is whole other story and I personally don't think a chain resturant can even compare. Here's hoping that WDW gets close.

adventurelander

I'm surprised at how many people really like this place. My husband and I ate there on our honeymoon and really classified it like an Olive Garden, but very crowded, tables too close, and very loud. On the plus side the servers were wonderful, and good looking too! They made a big deal about us being on our honeymoon. I thought the food was really not great Italian food, it was very heavy and not too creative. Even though it brings back nice memories of us on our first night of our honeymoon (and my husband's first time in Disney) I'm really not going to miss it, plus we never ate there again on other trips to the World.

Rosso11

Well there definitly was not a problem with sales. Alfredo's had the 15th highest sales last year for independent restaurants in the entire country.
Last year it brought in 17.744 million in sales, and 637,173 meals served. This is why this story doesn't sound right. If anyone is wondering only Fultons crab house at DTD ranked higher than Alfredo's on Disney property. This list comes from the restaurants and institutions magazine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom