Ahsoka D+ Show (Spoiler Thread)

erasure fan1

I did not even have time to ponder if she would be alright with back to back episodes
Did you need to ponder it? As soon as it happened I said, really? There going to have another person not die from a lightsaber stabbing? Lol. The trailer showed a lot of her that we hadn't seen yet. There's a lot of fake outs they could have tried. The lightsaber stab has been a bit played out at this point in my opinion.

DKampy

Did you need to ponder it? As soon as it happened I said, really? There going to have another person not die from a lightsaber stabbing? Lol. The trailer showed a lot of her that we hadn't seen yet. There's a lot of fake outs they could have tried. The lightsaber stab has been a bit played out at this point in my opinion.
I actually agree with you… I knew she would be alright the moment she was stabbed with the saber as I saw the trailer…I was more thinking of the viewer going in cold… even when the 2nd episode started they did not even pretend to give it any more dramatic heft… there was no amount of recovery shown… she was ready to go

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was happy to see David Tennant was in the show then I realized he was a droid and points off for that.
Tennant is on his way to becoming a Disney Legend:
  1. The Purple Man in Jessica Jones
  2. The voice of Scrooge McDuck in Ducktales
  3. This android.
  4. One new episode of Doctor Who under the new Disney aegis.

JAB

Are any of the Thrawn books canon?

Yes, the trilogy released in 2017-2019 are canon.

And even though the original pseudo-canon (i.e. canon unless Lucas decided to go in a different direction) Zahn trilogy was removed from the canon and moved into non-canon "Legends" when Disney took over, there have been things over the years that have been pulled from them into the main canon - Coruscant, Thrawn, the clone program to revive the Emperor - so it's entirely possible that they could borrow more from those books if they chose to.

JAB

We'll see where it goes from here, but the first two episodes really felt like "live-action Rebels season 5" rather than a separate series with some of the same characters (not that that's necessarily a bad thing). Some of the scenes were even shot-for-shot recreations from 'Rebels.'

I thought it was a nice Easter egg to see Clancy Brown return as Ryder Azadi (he voiced the character in 'Rebels.').

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We'll see where it goes from here, but the first two episodes really felt like "live-action Rebels season 5" rather than a separate series with some of the same characters (not that that's necessarily a bad thing). Some of the scenes were even shot-for-shot recreations from 'Rebels.'

I thought it was a nice Easter egg to see Clancy Brown return as Ryder Azadi (he voiced the character in 'Rebels.').
Well the whole series I think is really just Rebels Season 5, as it appears to be what happened after season 4 ends.

Looking at it Ep1 and 2 was giving more backstory to the end of Rebels Season 4. And I have a feeling they did this so those that didn't watch Rebels get caught up with important story points they missed so they aren't too lost. And those that did watch get some refreshers and some nods to the show.

Wendy Pleakley

The map is not a map made specifically to find Thrawn.

It is a map made by a species from that far away galaxy that visited the SW galaxy by way of a hyperdriveway which they discovered by following the Hyperspace Whales.

Thrawn got a ride on that hyperdrive hiway to that far away galaxy thanks to Ezra and the Space Whales. Ezra made the sacrifice to maroon himself along with Thrawn there.

Morgan is force sensitive and felt Thrawn calling to her. She deduced he was in that far away galaxy. Her race of Force Witches knew of that species and their visit to the SW galaxy. Even Baylan heard stories of it while a child at the Jedi academy. She knew where there were ancient ruins of that species and their astroguidance devices.

Seems to be a trend where they have a map but don't take the time to explain it well.

In The Force Awakens it wasn't just a "map to Luke Skywalker". They knew he went to a Jedi planet but didn't know where it was. That was the location they needed. Taking a minute to explain these things would make the shows better.

That quibble aside, it's a good show so far.

Jedijax719

Made it through the first episode. I say "made it through" because it was indeed quite slow. The premise is very simple which is good and classic SW. The visuals are JAWDROPPING and may be the best thing I've seen on the TV next to Avatar. The dialogue, on the other hand, is wow-that is some amateur stuff! Filoni either needs to beef it up or find other dialogue writers. And the episode could have been about 15-20 minutes shorter had it not been for all the blank staring and dead air time.

As for whether it is necessary to watch all of Rebels, it is not. There are a couple of good review videos to watch on YT that are 15-30 minutes and will give you what you need. But the first episode really needed to be action-packed or the show will REALLY need to step up the action. I will watch episode 2 soon. I am hoping episode 1 is a set up of characters and ep2 and 3 jump into the action.

Tha Realest

It's going to be an issue for the show. I'm a bit surprised that Disney didn't create their own catch you up video and put it on D+ as a prologue. They could have released it last week with a sneak peak of some sort. That way anyone who doesn't need it, can just skip it. But for those who aren't as familiar with the material, they at least have a starting point. And obviously it needs to be of a higher production value. Not just a YouTube quality recap.
I’m of two minds on this. I loved and adored Rebels. Sure, some of it got weird, but at its peak it was terrific. And this is clearly the continuation of that. This series has to do two things: orient a new audience to these characters and storylines (basically two episodes try and do that) and weave these characters into the existing SW/Mando canon. They basically have to unpack The Clones Wars and Rebels for a new audience - while also introducing new characters. To the extent it felt exposition heavy at times, I think that’s it.

I appreciate their need to do this as their expected audience is likely much higher than those familiar with the nuance of TCW/Rebels. I just hope the remaining episodes are much better paced and we move forward without seeing the need to catch people up. .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You may be joking but if Disney wants people to enjoy this show they really should have done a better job introducing the cast and the backstory. It was slightly confusing to me and I watched both of the animated series.
That’s the problem with 6,8,10 episodes

There’s not enough time

If they want to get serious…they’ll have to go back to more traditional season lengths

erasure fan1

I appreciate their need to do this as their expected audience is likely much higher than those familiar with the nuance of TCW/Rebels. I just hope the remaining episodes are much better paced and we move forward without seeing the need to catch people up. .
I don't feel like they did all that much catch up in the first two episodes. So I think it's just going to be sprinkled here and there throughout the series. I'd just be surprised if they let people figure it out on their own.

Jedijax719

Much of the dead air time could have been spent delving at least into past relationships. They did decently with Ezra but people had to know who Ezra truly was. The casual fan who didn't see Rebels would think "who is this guy Ezra who helped bring down the Empire? What about Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando?" and not knowing anything about the specific world that Ezra helped.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Much of the dead air time could have been spent delving at least into past relationships. They did decently with Ezra but people had to know who Ezra truly was. The casual fan who didn't see Rebels would think "who is this guy Ezra who helped bring down the Empire? What about Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando?" and not knowing anything about the specific world that Ezra helped.
It’s really just filoni’s wishlist spewing out onto the screen…and he always assumes everyone is watching on the edge of their seat

We might have to wait for the whole show to really get a sense if it works or not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom