Ahsoka D+ Show (Spoiler Thread)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
SO.... lemme get this straight.

Two 'unknown jedi type figures' have just rescued a high end prisoner known to be involved with a Grand Admiral... AND they killed the ENTIRE crew of one of the republic's flagships...

AND... a shipyard was found to have a multitude of Empire devotees working to build a gigantic hyperdrive that has NEVER been seen before... AND it got away...And the new republic is all 'nah, it'll be fine'?

Yes, killing off the crew of a ship should have triggered a bigger response. However, for the other points:

1. The high end prisoner was only high-end for Ahsoka. For the New Republic, she was just one of many warlords on outlying planets. Much like the U.S. doesn't militarily involve itself in heinous autocrats of various distant countries (unless it has direct negative consequences for itself).

2. They believed Thrawn was dead.

3. Everyone seems to know and accept that past imperial workers are present in the new Republic. As well as various criminal organizations.

4. The New Republic has endured years of war and genocides. They are extremely war-shy. They are also broke. They couldn't muster the number of agents or supplies to fight another war or police the whole galaxy. The previous republic had the resources, but Palpatine's plan to create non-stop warfare bankrupted everyone... except the Empire which relied on slave labor (cf. Andor), intimidation, and criminal organizations.

5. The theft of giant hyperdrives is meaningless to the New Republic with regard to what the thieves really wanted from it. They think it's just to sell for parts. And they don't believe Ahsoka because they believe Thrawn is dead.

6. Since old imperial agents are still around at all levels of government, some of the New Republic senators could be compromised, and they're blocking any investigation into a new order.

Jedijax719

I keep getting the sense that the Ahsoka/Sabine relationship as well as Sabine's development is the way Filoni felt the Luke/Rey connection should have been portrayed.

What does feel off to me is that nobody's mentioning getting Luke, Leia, and Han involved with the search for Thrawn.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Last week was kind of a 29 minute exercise in “finishing right where you started”

Hopefully today is more progress? Can’t have throwaway episodes when it’s so short

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SO.... lemme get this straight.

Two 'unknown jedi type figures' have just rescued a high end prisoner known to be involved with a Grand Admiral... AND they killed the ENTIRE crew of one of the republic's flagships...

AND... a shipyard was found to have a multitude of Empire devotees working to build a gigantic hyperdrive that has NEVER been seen before... AND it got away...And the new republic is all 'nah, it'll be fine'?
For going on 25?years now…I wonder how it’s greenlit that the “good guys” are so stupid that they can neither see nor do anything?

They took the idea of a “corrupt, vulnerable republic” from the OT backstory and morphed it into laughably complete stupidity.

Ghost93

Thought it was a good episode, but I don't think this show would be nearly as impactful for those who haven't seen Clone Wars and Rebels. It's a solid show, but I think it's demographic is more niche than advertised.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thought it was a good episode, but I don't think this show would be nearly as impactful for those who haven't seen Clone Wars and Rebels. It's a solid show, but I think it's demographic is more niche than advertised.
I love that character…the best non-OT character ever developed by ALOT…

…but I have to agree with you

Ghost93

I love that character…the best non-OT character ever developed by ALOT…

…but I have to agree with you
Yeah, as someone who has seen Clone Wars and Rebels, Ahsoka is my favorite Star Wars hero, but I couldn't imagine any of the Ahsoka show emotionally resonating with someone who just watches the live-action movies. Asking someone to invest in 11 seasons of animated TV series aimed at children just to understand the Ahsoka show is a lot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, as someone who has seen Clone Wars and Rebels, Ahsoka is my favorite Star Wars hero, but I couldn't imagine any of the Ahsoka show emotionally resonating with someone who just watches the live-action movies. Asking someone to invest in 11 seasons of animated TV series aimed at children just to understand the Ahsoka show is a lot.
Putting aside the horrific Disney management of LFL…

I think the main issue here is the cost and commitment they are forced to skimp on.

In order to development any characters or story with “depth”…you need time. As in hours of film and the ability to treat things as a person would.

So the MCU and LFL stream shows just can’t do it. Not enough time.

The measuring sticks for this are the 90’s Stark Trek shows and Ron Moore’s BSG…
And what did they have? Time. 20-25 episodes per year.
Life is like that…a good bit of time for nuance.

erasure fan1

Yea, the show doesn't seem to be getting all that much attention outside of that core fan. We are 4 episodes in and still no one in my circles (work, family, friends...) have watched an episode yet. I think they did this show a disservice by not doing some sort of prologue special/lead up to the series.

I thought this episode was good. I'm really liking Baylon Skoll, he's been great so far. I haven't put my finger on it yet, but there's something about Sabine that feels off to me. I like the show but I figured we would be a lot further into it since we are at the half way point already.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yea, the show doesn't seem to be getting all that much attention outside of that core fan. We are 4 episodes in and still no one in my circles (work, family, friends...) have watched an episode yet. I think they did this show a disservice by not doing some sort of prologue special/lead up to the series.

I thought this episode was good. I'm really liking Baylon Skoll, he's been great so far. I haven't put my finger on it yet, but there's something about Sabine that feels off to me. I like the show but I figured we would be a lot further into it since we are at the half way point already.
I think Sabine is way off. She came off as brash…but not the equivalent of a teenager in rebels. She had “teeth” and Ezra was the kid. They have kinda made it the oppo here.

And hera feels “forced”

I like all these characters too much to not like the show…but if I didn’t like them…I think the opinion would be different.

And that’s a bad indicator of how casual fans may be turned off?

Jedijax719

Putting aside the horrific Disney management of LFL…

I think the main issue here is the cost and commitment they are forced to skimp on.

In order to development any characters or story with “depth”…you need time. As in hours of film and the ability to treat things as a person would.

So the MCU and LFL stream shows just can’t do it. Not enough time.

The measuring sticks for this are the 90’s Stark Trek shows and Ron Moore’s BSG…
And what did they have? Time. 20-25 episodes per year.
Life is like that…a good bit of time for nuance.
By your own admission, the bolded part of your quote would signify that no character development or story depth can ever happen in theatrical movies.

erasure fan1

I think Sabine is way off. She came off as brash…but not the equivalent of a teenager in rebels.
It's a bit strange for sure since it's Daves characters and he's the one in charge.
And that’s a bad indicator of how casual fans may be turned off?
It could be. I'll watch it, I'll like it, but the jury is still out if the average joe is watching or if they will stick with it. I hope they are/will. I'm just not getting that water-cooler vibe from the show. Maybe people are waiting to binge it?

doctornick

I did feel this episode was pretty good and at least moved things along. The conflict for Sabine was was done and understandable.

Though I don't understand why Sabine let Ahsoka leave during the woods. Why not work together to defeat Shin Hati first (they could have done that quickly) then moved on together to get the map?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By your own admission, the bolded part of your quote would signify that no character development or story depth can ever happen in theatrical movies.
Generally speaking…there isn’t

Movies use the characters most times a plot devices to move the story forward…show do the opposite.

Lasting movie characters tend to be iconic because they manage to do development in little time.

How much actual screen tike did yoda have in 1980?
16 minutes.
And 4 in Jedi

You know how many minutes Ian mcdairmid had in Jedi? By far the Iconic performance?

Those a movie character icons

Now how much time did Patrick Stewart, Brent spiner or Michael dorn get for tv?

And for fun: which main Star Wars character had the most average screen time in movies in which they were stars?
Hint: it’s not mark hamill

The point is it’s not a perfect comparison…but I’ll stand by my stance that the development limitations due to time on these D+ shows is very apparent.
Doesn’t mean they’re awful…but hinders them for sure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom