Ahsoka D+ Show (Spoiler Thread)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
FTFY

Andor was originally thought to last five seasons, was pared back to two, and the final (and last) season was “renewed” mid season of season 1.

I love the “but andor…” as a defense of the mighty Briantrust in the presidio…

It’s good…but nobody is watching it.

We are in an era of trying to CONVINCE a mostly western audience to watch Star Wars

It’s just patently stupid.

How’s the numbers looking for acolyte on the no profit stream? I haven’t checked but I’d guess straight south week to week?

erasure fan1

I love the “but andor…” as a defense of the mighty Briantrust in the presidio…
Andor might be the best shot, acted, edited, dialogue... of any show on Disney+. Unfortunately the vast majority of people I talked to said it was way to boring and didn't make it through the whole show. Sure a star wars Homer like me will watch it. But overall it just didn't have mass appeal. It missed a lot of what made rogue one appealing.

BrianLo

Touché!

Andor was originally thought to last five seasons, was pared back to two, and the final (and last) season was “renewed” mid season of season 1.

You are misreporting this to imply it was scaled back based on viewership. This story was paired back to a two season plan prior to its production of season one, debut and viewership ratings. Largely because they decided it was untenable to have him play the character time-locked for so long. The season was subsequently structured for each episode mini block to cover a year leading up to the events of the movie.

Its renewal during season 1 establishes the viewership was strong enough to justify a second go. Which betrays the point you are trying to make.

If the point is the viewership was weak for Star Wars, that’s for the millionth time not the point I made. Viewership is reasonably strong on all of these series for subscribers D+ has. It’s a lie to keep reporting these shows as ‘unwatched’. Unwatched things are not renewed mid season. We have viewership data no matter how much everyone wants to dance around me.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Even if it didn't get the viewership it was justified giving it a second season. I think a lot of fans would have a meltdown, myself included, if we didn't the K2so Andor origin. How can you have a rogue one prequel with no K2! Lol

Completely fair. There’s quite a lot of series that received renewals on D+ with lower ratings. Plenty of things that tanked that were also cancelled.

I kind of determined their line in the Nielsen thread seems to be around 300 million minutes viewed per week per episode. With some cheaper series having renewals on as little as 200.

Ahsoka is well, well above those benchmarks. Also renewed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Andor might be the best shot, acted, edited, dialogue... of any show on Disney+. Unfortunately the vast majority of people I talked to said it was way to boring and didn't make it through the whole show. Sure a star wars Homer like me will watch it. But overall it just didn't have mass appeal. It missed a lot of what made rogue one appealing.
You mean less tortured heroes you can root for?

BrianLo

I like it…it went no where…but I still like it

The problem is you had to watch 2 cartoon shows to have any clue what the hell is going on?

Definitely a problem. Or have someone who did beside me, which is how I tackled it. But as punishment I got dragged kicking and screaming part way through the Clone Wars.

It finally got good at the end of season five, which is where I’ve left it for another few months. 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Definitely a problem. Or have someone who did beside me, which is how I tackled it. But as punishment I got dragged kicking and screaming part way through the Clone Wars.

It finally got good at the end of season five, which is where I’ve left it for another few months. 😂
As an aside…

Clone wars and rebels had all kinds of loose ends. No excuse on a cartoon show that doesn’t cost a fortune

That’s why when people say filoni should run LFL I laugh…
He’s caught between his spot on the executive board of the Lucas fan club and trapped in his own mind geekdom

Not the way forward

Tha Realest

Touché!

You are misreporting this to imply it was scaled back based on viewership. This story was paired back to a two season plan prior to its production of season one, debut and viewership ratings. Largely because they decided it was untenable to have him play the character time-locked for so long. The season was subsequently structured for each episode mini block to cover a year leading up to the events of the movie.

Its renewal during season 1 establishes the viewership was strong enough to justify a second go. Which betrays the point you are trying to make.

If the point is the viewership was weak for Star Wars, that’s for the millionth time not the point I made. Viewership is reasonably strong on all of these series for subscribers D+ has. It’s a lie to keep reporting these shows as ‘unwatched’. Unwatched things are not renewed mid season. We have viewership data no matter how much everyone wants to dance around me.
I didn’t imply anything. It wasn’t “renewed” - the plan all along was for a two season order. They were already in production and planning season 2 before season 1 premiered. It was coming regardless of viewership- which is a good thing! i enjoyed it.

BrianLo

I didn’t imply anything. It wasn’t “renewed” - the plan all along was for a two season order. They were already in production and planning season 2 before season 1 premiered. It was coming regardless of viewership- which is a good thing! i enjoyed it.

Sorry, I read “renewed” in the very literal sense and missed what you were implying.

I also quite enjoyed it and it’s the series I least had any desire out of the gate to like.

LSLS

For what it's worth, I'd consider myself a casual Star Wars fan. I liked Ashoka (though not as much as I think I hoped I would, I really like the character, and I think the live action portrayal has been great). Andor and second season of Bad Batch I believe are the only two series I have not watched. Andor just didn't seem exciting to me or strike me as anything I cared about. I liked Rogue One a lot, but I think I liked it because of how well it fit into the movies, not because I really cared for the characters that much. In other words, the overall story is what drew me into that movie.

Tha Realest

For what it's worth, I'd consider myself a casual Star Wars fan. I liked Ashoka (though not as much as I think I hoped I would, I really like the character, and I think the live action portrayal has been great). Andor and second season of Bad Batch I believe are the only two series I have not watched. Andor just didn't seem exciting to me or strike me as anything I cared about. I liked Rogue One a lot, but I think I liked it because of how well it fit into the movies, not because I really cared for the characters that much. In other words, the overall story is what drew me into that movie.
Andor is a slow burn and I started getting a bit bored early on but settled in once I realized it was basically The Third Man set in the Star Wars universe and appreciated it for what it was trying to do.

Ashoka suffered, I feel, from this tendency to have all these series showcase other spin-off characters or serve as backdoor pilots to other series. It also felt like Filoni’s way to bootstrap Rebels/Legends characters into the canon.

I didn’t dislike Ashoka, I just felt most of it was a way to bridge two different stories in a coherent way while forgetting they had to make the current story compelling on its own merits.

DKampy

Andor is a slow burn and I started getting a bit bored early on but settled in once I realized it was basically The Third Man set in the Star Wars universe and appreciated it for what it was trying to do.

Ashoka suffered, I feel, from this tendency to have all these series showcase other spin-off characters or serve as backdoor pilots to other series. It also felt like Filoni’s way to bootstrap Rebels/Legends characters into the canon.

I didn’t dislike Ashoka, I just felt most of it was a way to bridge two different stories in a coherent way while forgetting they had to make the current story compelling on its own merits.
I did not care for Asoka… in fact it was my least favorite Star Wars series… but I
Have never been a Star Wars animated guy… so perhaps watching Clone Wars would of helped

Andor is a truly great show…not Just Star Wars… but I think it could compete with the greatest series of today for Emmy’s

MarvelCharacterNerd

I like it…it went no where…but I still like it

The problem is you had to watch 2 cartoon shows to have any clue what the hell is going on?
That was my struggle as someone who hasn't watched the animated shows - the stories interested me but that animation style really turned me off. I went into Ahsoka with a vague sense of what came before - I'd heard character names, knew a little about Ahsoka but mostly just that she was a popular character. But the live action show was such a direct sequel to the cartoons that it felt really hard to get into unlike any of the other live action series (including The Acolyte). It just felt too precious and "inside baseball" for any non-diehards to follow what was going on or care about the characters - though oddly, considering the show was called "Ahsoka", it seemed to be far more about Sabine - who was the more interesting character to me than Ahsoka herself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom