Ahsoka D+ Show (Spoiler Thread)

Wendy Pleakley

Most of what we saw in this episode was variations on things we have seen before.

It was very well executed though. Much more intense/exciting than anything we've seen in Star Wars TV shows to date.

doctornick

I enjoyed the episode for what it was, but it was too short IMHO. And it furthers the trend that the folks doing D+ shows seem to fail to recognize that TV episodes aren't (or at least shouldn't be) long movies just cut into parts.

While I get that there's this desire to set up things so they pay off in later episodes in the show, you should also have some sort of story that should set up and occur/resolve in each episode. If all you do is try to start plot points for later you run into the problem (typical for D+) where the final episode ends up feeling too rushed because so much needs to be resolved all at once.

erasure fan1

I enjoyed the episode for what it was, but it was too short IMHO. And it furthers the trend that the folks doing D+ shows seem to fail to recognize that TV episodes aren't (or at least shouldn't be) long movies just cut into parts.
I'd say unless you plan to drop it for binge watching. I don't mind the weekly release but the way Disney has formatted most of their shows, it would work better as a drop all at once. I think Andor really suffered because of that. I guess it's all a matter of taste. I liked Mandos each episode was it's own little story, all leading to one bigger story. But I know some didn't like that.

While I get that there's this desire to set up things so they pay off in later episodes in the show, you should also have some sort of story that should set up and occur/resolve in each episode. If all you do is try to start plot points for later you run into the problem (typical for D+) where the final episode ends up feeling too rushed because so much needs to be resolved all at once
I'm right there with you. I've had the same complaint about most all the D+ shows. And it worries me hear as well. We're 3 episodes in and we are still in setup mode for the most part. I just don't want to get through episode 7 and be thinking there's way too much for them to close out with one last episode.

doctornick

I'd say unless you plan to drop it for binge watching. I don't mind the weekly release but the way Disney has formatted most of their shows, it would work better as a drop all at once. I think Andor really suffered because of that. I guess it's all a matter of taste. I liked Mandos each episode was it's own little story, all leading to one bigger story. But I know some didn't like that.

See I think Mandalorian did really well in terms of having each episode being, well, an episode with a contained plot but also working towards a final season ending story. WandaVision was better for that as well as I think was Loki (though it has been a while) but as more stuff is released it feels like most things are just a 3-5 hour movie cut into arbitrary pieces. If you are going to do that you should probably release the whole season at once for binging. If you are going to do weekly releases, then each episode needs to have some bit of being self contained.

doctornick

Just to be clear though, I have liked Ahsoka so far, just that I think it could be better with some tweaking. Something to make each episode be a bit more gratifying on its own. Like yesterday's episode since it had a lot of time devoted on having Sabine training and kind of showing how she doesn't have a connection with the Force, it should have ended with some sort of action that showed he using or somehow connecting with the Force to make the episode "whole". Doesn't have to have been something huge, but just like a hint of things to come. I dunno, it felt like this episode just kind of ended.

The odd thing is that Filoni has been great with episodic TV with The Clone Wars and Rebels and Mandalorian (all of which he has had a big role in) so it's not like this is some newfangled concept. All those shows did really well with having small stories leading to a connected whole.

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
Just to be clear though, I have liked Ahsoka so far, just that I think it could be better with some tweaking. Something to make each episode be a bit more gratifying on its own. Like yesterday's episode since it had a lot of time devoted on having Sabine training and kind of showing how she doesn't have a connection with the Force, it should have ended with some sort of action that showed he using or somehow connecting with the Force to make the episode "whole". Doesn't have to have been something huge, but just like a hint of things to come. I dunno, it felt like this episode just kind of ended.
Yeah I agree here. I thought they would’ve had some “force” moment with Sabine during that battle. I’m assuming we’ll see one when they face off the robots and Baylan in the next episode.
The odd thing is that Filoni has been great with episodic TV with The Clone Wars and Rebels and Mandalorian (all of which he has had a big role in) so it's not like this is some newfangled concept. All though shows did really well with having small stories leading to a connected whole.
I think the problem as many others have mentioned is that the D+ shows seem like movies just split up. I think Andor, Ms. Marvel & Wandavision would be some of the only exceptions. I just wish they wouldn’t decide this show “needs” to be 6 or 8 or 9 episodes, it should be however many episodes the story truly needs to unfold. The varying episode lengths I also feel is somewhat unique to D+.

I agree with you that Rebels & Clone Wars did have those great arcs that usually had some pay for later, hoping we see more of that in the rest of the series. I still am really enjoying it, I think the Ahsoka in space moment was Clone Wars - esque and will probably get some hate. With Sabine, will she ever really be powerful enough to take on Thrawn and co? That’s kind of what I wonder going forward

JAB

I've been enjoying the show so far, but I'm glad I binged to get caught up before it started because it's feeling more and more like the audience was meant to have watched 'Clone Wars' and 'Rebels.' Filoni includes enough exposition that new viewers aren't completely lost and can follow the plot, but they won't have the same connection to the characters and events that someone who has seen the previous shows will. I can imagine a lot of new viewers thinking, "Who is this, and why am I supposed to care?". Scenes like Sabine cutting her hair must feel overly long and pointless if you don't know anything about her, and also don't know that it's visually and metaphorically paralleling the scene in 'Rebels' when Kanan cuts his hair. This week's episode was another example. It seemed to me that the purgill reveal was intended to be a "wow" moment, and while they do include some brief dialog to connect them to the plot of 'Ahsoka', the scene has much more significance if you've seen 'Rebels.'

ETA: Also, who Jacen Syndulla is, and why Hera looks so pained when he says "I want to be a Jedi."

Last edited:

Phroobar

ETA: Also, who Jacen Syndulla is, and why Hera looks so pained when he says "I want to be a Jedi."
Jacen Syndulla is Hera's son she had with jedi master Kanan Jarrus.
iu

Hera's rescue and death

"Kanan, I know what to say now. I love you."
"Must be the truth serum talking."
"No. It's me. All me."―Hera Syndulla and Kanan Jarrus's last conversation[7]

Kanan sacrifices himself.

The rebels concocted a plan for Kanan, Ezra and Sabine to rescue Hera from Thrawn's clutches, returning to the city at night and infiltrating the Complex by using Loth-bat gliders that they had built themselves. During the rescue mission, Kanan retrieved Hera's Kalikori from Thrawn's office. Then, he climbed to the top of the tower in which Hera was being kept prisoner and tortured by Governor Pryce for information on the whereabouts of the Alliance Fleet. Kanan took out the two stormtroopers guarding Hera, and after she remarked that she disliked his new haircut, they climbed to the roof, where they escaped using the gliders they'd fashioned. Stormtroopers flew after them, but Ezra and Sabine came to their rescue and shot down the Imperial pilots. Kanan and Hera landed on top of an Imperial fuel tower, waiting for the other Rebels to pick them up. It was there that Hera finally admitted that she loved him, and they kissed.[7]

Seeing the Rebels about to escape, Pryce ordered the pilot of the walker they were in to fire upon the fuel tower, causing it to explode. Kanan ran towards the amassing inferno and used the Force to keep the flames from engulfing them. Hera ran towards Kanan but he stopped her with the Force and Force pushed Hera onto the ship, before sending the ship out of the the blast radius. Seconds before letting the blast consume him, his eyes were restored, granting him his wish to see Hera again. Then, Jarrus, consumed by the flames, passed away and became one with the Force.
[

JAB

Jacen Syndulla is Hera's son she had with jedi master Kanan Jarrus.
iu

Hera's rescue and death

"Kanan, I know what to say now. I love you."
"Must be the truth serum talking."
"No. It's me. All me."―Hera Syndulla and Kanan Jarrus's last conversation[7]

Kanan sacrifices himself.

The rebels concocted a plan for Kanan, Ezra and Sabine to rescue Hera from Thrawn's clutches, returning to the city at night and infiltrating the Complex by using Loth-bat gliders that they had built themselves. During the rescue mission, Kanan retrieved Hera's Kalikori from Thrawn's office. Then, he climbed to the top of the tower in which Hera was being kept prisoner and tortured by Governor Pryce for information on the whereabouts of the Alliance Fleet. Kanan took out the two stormtroopers guarding Hera, and after she remarked that she disliked his new haircut, they climbed to the roof, where they escaped using the gliders they'd fashioned. Stormtroopers flew after them, but Ezra and Sabine came to their rescue and shot down the Imperial pilots. Kanan and Hera landed on top of an Imperial fuel tower, waiting for the other Rebels to pick them up. It was there that Hera finally admitted that she loved him, and they kissed.[7]

Seeing the Rebels about to escape, Pryce ordered the pilot of the walker they were in to fire upon the fuel tower, causing it to explode. Kanan ran towards the amassing inferno and used the Force to keep the flames from engulfing them. Hera ran towards Kanan but he stopped her with the Force and Force pushed Hera onto the ship, before sending the ship out of the the blast radius. Seconds before letting the blast consume him, his eyes were restored, granting him his wish to see Hera again. Then, Jarrus, consumed by the flames, passed away and became one with the Force.
[

I know that. The point I was making in my post was that those who haven't watched 'Rebels' won't know it, so the scene doesn't have the intended emotional impact for them because new viewers are missing important context.

Phroobar

I know that. The point I was making in my post was that those who haven't watched 'Rebels' won't know it, so the scene doesn't have the intended emotional impact for them because new viewers are missing important context.
Not everything needs to be spoon fed to the unwashed. Consider it fan service. I got the meaning. That is all that matters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At this point in the story its not relevant who his father was. All the audience needs to know is that Hera has a son who wants to be a Jedi. If they go down the path of adding more backstory for Jacen I'm sure they will reference Kanan and how he was Jedi.

For now its just fan service as was mentioned.

MoonRakerSCM

SO.... lemme get this straight.

Two 'unknown jedi type figures' have just rescued a high end prisoner known to be involved with a Grand Admiral... AND they killed the ENTIRE crew of one of the republic's flagships...

AND... a shipyard was found to have a multitude of Empire devotees working to build a gigantic hyperdrive that has NEVER been seen before... AND it got away...And the new republic is all 'nah, it'll be fine'?

MagicHappens1971

Original Poster
SO.... lemme get this straight.

Two 'unknown jedi type figures' have just rescued a high end prisoner known to be involved with a Grand Admiral... AND they killed the ENTIRE crew of one of the republic's flagships...

AND... a shipyard was found to have a multitude of Empire devotees working to build a gigantic hyperdrive that has NEVER been seen before... AND it got away...And the new republic is all 'nah, it'll be fine'?
As we saw in Mando S3 & other media like the book Bloodline, the New Republic is extremely ineffective, and they basically had no choice but to write it that way. Without a Palpatine-esque figure to orchestrate a new war, the only other way to really explain how the First Order emerged so quickly and effectively, was an ineffective New Republic, which they continue to expand upon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This theory has been going around the interwebs, but I'm really getting Starkiller vibes from Marrock.

I know the Force Unleashed games are Legends status, but it wouldn't be the first time they used something from Legends within canon.

So any thoughts on if Marrock could really be Galen Marek aka Starkiller?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom