Accident at Disneyland (CA)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by iluvepcot
These boards and everyone on them has reached a new low. You are all sad sad people.

now that you mention it... I have been rather depressed lately.. :hammer:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
These boards and everyone on them has reached a new low. You are all sad sad people.

:rolleyes:
speak for yourself... if you dont like it.... then why even post in this thread? :hammer: :hammer::rolleyes:

Woody13

Well, both you and I were on this thread, or should I have said me and you?

WDWFanatic

OK i cant go thru 17 pages of people yelling at each other all i want to know is did the guy have a heart attack or was it from trauma. Did he fall out of the train? It said he was extracted from the tunnel. Did the train actually "derail" ?

I still trust disney rides fully. I probobaly have a better chance of being hit by lightning or being bit by a shark then get hurt on a ride anywhere. I'll be there in october.

SONiCSenshi

"No, BTM is made by Vekoma"

Actually other than Disneyland Paris' BTMR all them were completely designed and manufactured In-House by WDI.

"Hrmmm, I don't think so. Keep in mind that BTM is a top-wheeled coaster, there's no undercarriage or under-wheels keeping it secured to the railing (as far as I know.) Say you load the back 5 cars very heavy people and seat them all on the right side. you have a recipe for a derailment.

Physics are extremely important in roller coasters. With more modern designs, most of these things have been addressed. If you load a train too light, it might experience too much loss and not be able to complete the circuit. We have accellerators today that compensate for this. Load a train too heavy, and your speeds may become too great - but today we have brake systems in place. We also have steel coasters with wheels on the top AND wheels on the bottom, which keeps things like nasty lateral forces from tipping the cars off the rails, and allows for high vertical forces without fear of the car hopping off the rails.

I'd say that, if poor loading or CM negligence was involved that it was most likely complicated by something else, like one of the things you mentioned, in order to cause this to happen.

Perhaps a train was a bit overloaded and heavy, which put too much of a strain on the joining bits of the cars and the locomotive, which were getting a little long in the tooth and barely met safety regulations - that sort of thing. "

I guess you haven't ridden many coasters, all modern and even almost every old coaster and including wooden coasters have wheels on the top of the track (Drive or Glide Wheels), wheels on the side of the track (Guide Wheels) and wheels on the bottom of the track(Up-Stop Wheels). Matterhorn Bobsled may not have Up-Stop Wheels, but it has pads that pretty much do the same job as Up-Stop Wheels and Superman: The Escape (Six Flags Magic Mountain) does not need Guide Wheels because it doesn't need them since it doesn't have any turns in it's layout.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
the same way I dont' pay for park admission. I have friends assist me now...

STGRhost

Wow.....

Holy crap....(that's going to offend someone...) I managed to get through 17 pages, and I no longer care about the original intent of this thread. I remember why I stopped posting, or even reading this site for such a long time... SOME of you people are disturbing...

If I wasn't so lazy, I would do a search on all the "Death at Disney" type threads I've seen before on this site. It happens, folks. Death is NEVER fun, or pretty, or easy, but it's a part of life. Some of you have mentioned how you'll be afraid to ride anything at a Disney park (or similar thoughts). Does it occur to anyone that this (the hysteria seen on the board) is EXACTLY why companies like Disney (or Six Flags, Universal, etc) are so unlikely to release any more information than they have to about incidents like this? It's not a conspiracy/cover-up. It's BUISNESS. Does any other company spend time actively promoting their BAD news? What purpose would it serve? Especially if that company is in the buisness of "family entertainment"?

As it is only 3am (Central), this accident is only about 16 HOURS old. As usual, the media ran with whatever they could get their hands on. Some of it was wrong, some of it was later retracted. I don't blame the media - it's their JOB. We should all know better than to believe EVERYTHING we see on tv, especially "Breaking News". Eventually, Disney (or OSHA, or someone) will release the findings on the investigation. If it's a slow news day, we may even get to hear about it. Most likely, though, it wil take an active effort on our part to find out what happened. These stories are HUGE when they first happen (how did you all forget about the Sailing Ship Columbia? Or Splash Mountain? Or the Skyway? Those stories are, at most, 5 years old. Or do I remember better because I was a CM then...?), but they eventually become "filler". It's not a comment on the value of the lives involved, but more a reflection of the poor attention span our society has.

Sorry about the long post. I just cannot believe the way some people here jumped to conclusions (for OR against Disney) the way they did. I guess I'll chalk that up to age, or naïveté. And I'll return to occasionally lurking and getting the "real" (heh) news from more "informed" sources. (mkt ain't kidding when he says it's nice to have friends still on the "inside", but again, everything with a grain of salt...)

And, of course, before anyone yells at me - I AM deeply saddened by this accident. I feel terrible for the guests and CMs involved, and the poor man's family. I doubt anyone here would say otherwise. But this IS a discussion board, and people (obviously) have different ways of expressing shock, or grief. I don't think anyone is making light of the fact that someone died, I just think that by talking about their own fears, or lawsuits, etc, they are putting it into a context they can relate to more personally.

Al

I have just caught up on this news. This is so sad. I can only imagine what is going through the minds of the dead man's family, and all those who were injured... all this happening in one of the worlds happiest places :(

Just when things seemed to be going right for Disney :(

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by The_CEO
I won't be defending disney. They messed up. Shows how safe their rides are. I hope the families win the lawsuits.

Your attitude is thing that is "messed up". I suggest you never visit a Disney park again, and for that matter, how about never flying in an aircraft, riding in a car, a train. Oh and accidents happen in the home, so you might want to go live on a desert island.

JasonCajun

This is a very sad day for Disney. Noone knows what caused this yet, but I hope that what comes out of this, if anyone can make a positive out of this, is that Disney starts paying more attention to details.

Seeing how serious this nature of this incident is, it surprises me how it is taken so lightly by some, or used as an excuse to bash Disney.

However, I should not be so blind as to say that Disney was not at fault in this either. It remains to be seen what the cause was, but this does not sound like the fault of a guest, but rather it sounds like to me that it was a stress failure of a part. It could have been defective from the beginning, or became worn down by age. I am just speculating though, but that would be my guess.

barnum42

Sad things about today’s news

Top of the list – someone had lost their life and others have been injured in a tragic accident.

What is top of the list has been lost in finger pointing about whose fault it is, who is right about whose fault it is, wild speculation and the unfortunate knee jerk reaction of “how much money can I make out of this in a law suit?”

Please keep in mind what is top of the list.

Erika

Originally posted by Lord Alfred
That's not a reason to sue or not to sue, that's the reason we have something called life insurance.

Sorry, I just had to throw that in because of an incident which happened in my family in which a father of 2 young sons (now in their 20s) suffered severe brain damage due to someone else's negligence and has not had a normal day in his life ever since. I was responding to the question "Why sue? It won't bring them back" and nothing more :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom